Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Well said, W.

My lack of sleep isn't due to insomnia. It's just a case of poor sleep hygiene. I'm knowingly doing this to myself.

Yeah, there was a user on here a while back who was basically saying that the reason he was suffering from all these different "things" was as a result of sleep deprivation, which he did to himself. Just goes to show how important sleep is I suppose *he says while typing a post at ten past four in the morning! :pac:*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Wilberto wrote: »
    Yeah, there was a user on here a while back who was basically saying that the reason he was suffering from all these different "things" was as a result of sleep deprivation, which he did to himself. Just goes to show how important sleep is I suppose *he says while typing a post at ten past four in the morning! :pac:*

I certainly can't judge you anyway!

What's the plan for the day there?

Feeling a bit positive this morning here. I hope to be able to retain this feeling for as long as possible. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭Shpudnik

Feeling absolutely rubbish. Life can't get any worse :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Slept like crap, long work shift ahead. Hugs Shpud hope you come out of it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Shpudnik wrote:
    Feeling absolutely rubbish. Life can't get any worse

What's wrong Shpudnik?

Hope it lifts.

• Advertisement

What's wrong Shpudnik?

Hope it lifts.

I ****ed up as usual. But big time.

Shpudnik wrote:
    I ****ed up as usual. But big time.

That might be just your perception. We all judge our behaviours negatively quite a lot. Maybe it's not that bad.

That might be just your perception. We all judge our behaviours negatively quite a lot. Maybe it's not that bad.

No it is very bad. Too bad to mention here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Shpudnik wrote: »
    No it is very bad. Too bad to mention here.

If it's too bad to mention here can you bring it to your doc or counsellor perhaps?

If it's too bad to mention here can you bring it to your doc or counsellor perhaps?

I'll try talk to my counsellor tomorrow

• Advertisement

Shpudnik wrote: »
    I'll try talk to my counsellor tomorrow

Remember, if you can't talk you can always bring a note/letter in.. Sometimes it's too hard to verbalise upsetting things.. We're all behind you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Things are a bit better today. Yesterday I was nosediving as my health anxiety was ratcheting up. I found that distracting myself with some manual tasks helped steer me around, as did the subsidence of the symptoms that got me worked up in the first place.

I still find my emotions can be a bit all over the place. One day I'm feeling somewhat positive and confident, the next some s*** gets me all worked up and I want to pack in my job and run home. I don't know, maybe everyone is like that but I just amplify it as I'm so in my head at times.

Part of me wants to stay where I am, the other part wants to move back in with my mother and sister, the other wants to go back to Dublin.

Things were so much better in my twenties. I think I was much happier and not as restricted by my mind.

We also have a new manager starting at work in a week or two and I have this nagging feeling he might be a d***. Based on absolutely no knowledge of him at all. Great logic there eh?

Remember, if you can't talk you can always bring a note/letter in.. Sometimes it's too hard to verbalise upsetting things.. We're all behind you.

I might do that. Or maybe just show it.

Write, always write, people can't help unless they have information
    I very easily get speechless when at a gp or psych appointment and have found writing point or paragraphs a saving grace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Showered today, that's about it. Had a big rant posted earlier but deleted it.
    I don't want to be moaning.

Just a ****ty time lately. Very much into myself and doing as little as possible as to not draw attention to it. Tired, just so tired.

Keep the faith guys x

Write, always write, people can't help unless they have information
    I very easily get speechless when at a gp or psych appointment and have found writing point or paragraphs a saving grace.

I might do it later. Don't feel up to it right now.

La.de.da wrote: »

Just a ****ty time lately. Very much into myself and doing as little as possible as to not draw attention to it. Tired, just so tired.

Keep the faith guys x

I have been very slack on showers and related stuff lately.. Just cannot find energy or motivation, finally had a shower this morning because the worry that i might smell finally overrode my lack of care..

La.de.da wrote: »

Keep the faith guys x

*hugs*

Hang on in there. x
    I have been very slack on showers and related stuff lately.. Just cannot find energy or motivation, finally had a shower this morning because the worry that i might smell finally overrode my lack of care..

My hygiene slides when I'm low. I tend to skip brushing my teeth moreso. Makes me so ashamed and self-conscious when I need to talk to people then.

Best of luck for the week ahead, lads.

Best of luck for the week ahead, lads.

Good luck to you to Hugo. Feeling slightly better this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 StoodUpTooFast

I really wish there was some diplomatic way to just not exist anymore.

I couldn't kill myself as it would destroy my partner and my families lives, and I just couldn't do that to them. But I just wish there was some way to not live anymore and not have it upset anyone.

When the topic of suicide/death in general comes up, that's the only thing that scares me. My family/partner being upset. Not once does it enter my head that "Oh I like living, I don't want to die".

I absolute ****ing hate this.

I really wish there was some diplomatic way to just not exist anymore.

I couldn't kill myself as it would destroy my partner and my families lives, and I just couldn't do that to them. But I just wish there was some way to not live anymore and not have it upset anyone.

When the topic of suicide/death in general comes up, that's the only thing that scares me. My family/partner being upset. Not once does it enter my head that "Oh I like living, I don't want to die".

I absolute ****ing hate this.

Hi StoodUpTooFast

that is the horrible nature of the illness that it removes any belief/awareness of a positive quality of life.

Have you been feeling this way with long? Are you getting help in overcoming it?

It can be done, believing that is good enough for now.

Feeling kind of down this morning. Not sure if it's because I didn't sleep well, have a cold, is back to work or what. Typically cycling would improve my mood but because I've the cold, I'm not feeling much like physical exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭jsms88

veganrun wrote: »
    Feeling kind of down this morning. Not sure if it's because I didn't sleep well, have a cold, is back to work or what. Typically cycling would improve my mood but because I've the cold, I'm not feeling much like physical exercise.

Sorry to hear that. Maybe it's just a bit of the Monday morning feeling? Long week ahead!

I had a poor enough night too and I've woken up a bit shaky. Had a strange dream that I can't really remember apart from knowing that it was strange. Work has been a fantastic focus for me last couple of weeks. It has kept my mind away from ruminating on 'what ifs'. Hope it stays that way.

Just about to finish up at work.. Mind is racing a bit again so hoping i'll be able to sleep, couple of bad sleeps the last few days, need to be careful it doesn't go much further.

Might be that jsms, not sure. I think I had some sort of weird dream but I don't know what it was.

I've decided to improve my health by losing weight. I'm at least 4-5 stone overweight and it's not doing me any favours. Although I'm slightly concerned I won't follow through. But let's see, take each day/meal as it comes.

At the back of my mind I keep thinking this new manager is starting next week.

A friend of mine asked if I didn't need the money, what would I do for work/to keep myself busy. I'm really not sure. I know today I wouldn't do anything as I have the cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

Thats the best approach veganrun, no point worrying about diets etc, just try to make better choices one meal at a time, you'll get there.

Does anyone else suffer from massive loneliness? I've never had a lot of friends, I always tried to favour good friends over numbers of friends. But in the past few years, everyone has ended up drifting away, and I'm left with too many burnt bridges and people who don't make any effort to talk to me anymore. It leaves me feeling so lonely.
    I have tried to make new friends, but having social anxiety, anything more than 2-3 minutes of a conversation with someone I don't know I start panicking and all I can think of is ending the conversation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭7 Seconds...

kiddums wrote: »
    Thats the best approach veganrun, no point worrying about diets etc, just try to make better choices one meal at a time, you'll get there.

Does anyone else suffer from massive loneliness? I've never had a lot of friends, I always tried to favour good friends over numbers of friends. But in the past few years, everyone has ended up drifting away, and I'm left with too many burnt bridges and people who don't make any effort to talk to me anymore. It leaves me feeling so lonely.
    I have tried to make new friends, but having social anxiety, anything more than 2-3 minutes of a conversation with someone I don't know I start panicking and all I can think of is ending the conversation.

I could have wrote your post word for word. I have no one really my own age except my sister, which is better than no one, but it would be lovely to have some one for me. I've never really had friends either, and the ones I did have I didn't appreciate them in favor of people who I thought were my friends.

But thankfully I am beginning to learn that it's not what's you have in life that counts, it's who you are & who you are with. And again thankfully too I joined boards and now have this thread to rant away on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭Ruby31

Has anyone here been too anxious to go their GP? I have social anxiety. I'm fine going to the shops, etc, it's actually talking to people for any length of time that causes my heart to palpitate. I'm losing all my friends one by one. I don't like meeting people one-on-one as there's too much pressure on me to keep making conversation. Anyway, aside from that, I can't even make myself go to my GP about this as I've built it up in my head too much. Help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭kiddums

I could have wrote your post word for word. I have no one really my own age except my sister, which is better than no one, but it would be lovely to have some one for me. I've never really had friends either, and the ones I did have I didn't appreciate them in favor of people who I thought were my friends.

But thankfully I am beginning to learn that it's not what's you have in life that counts, it's who you are & who you are with. And again thankfully too I joined boards and now have this thread to rant away on.

I'm not even fussy about the age too much, I can admit here that I'm that desperate. I have had people I thought were my friends, but I realised over time that quite a lot of them only really talked to me or whatever because they wanted something themselves. I've never had someone that just wants to talk, or hang out, get a pint, go see a film, whatever, without an alterer motive

I know that its not about material things, but I find it very tough to work on myself when I have no one around. All I really want is a handful of good friends, who aren't just using me and actually want to be my friend. It try my best to talk to people online, but most of th people I talk to just become hard work to talk to.
    Ruby31 wrote: »
    Has anyone here been too anxious to go their GP? I have social anxiety. I'm fine going to the shops, etc, it's actually talking to people for any length of time that causes my heart to palpitate. I'm losing all my friends one by one. I don't like meeting people one-on-one as there's too much pressure on me to keep making conversation. Anyway, aside from that, I can't even make myself go to my GP about this as I've built it up in my head too much. Help.

I fully understand where you are coming from. I ended up having to psyche myself up, make an appointment over the phone, and go in with my headphones on until I was in with the Dr. He's a family friend so its not too difficult for me. But could you bring someone with you perhaps? The Dr might let them sit in the room too. But in my experience, medical people understand these kinds of mental issues, so don't be worrying about how they will react or anything like that. Just one less thing for you to worry about.

I hope you'e able to get to your GP. Small term pain for the benefit of your future health.:)

Advertisement