Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭Ruby31

I'm just out from the doctor and just want to thank those who took the time to post words of encouragement. It made all the difference. I honestly think I would've cancelled the appointment if I hadn't posted here. I started crying before I even got into the surgery, but somehow managed to explain what's been going on. She gave me a prescription for 10 mg ciprotan / citalopram for anxiety. Is that a very low dose? She wants to see me back again in a month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭Shpudnik

Really nervous about a hospital appointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Ruby31 wrote: »
    I'm just out from the doctor and just want to thank those who took the time to post words of encouragement. It made all the difference. I honestly think I would've cancelled the appointment if I hadn't posted here. I started crying before I even got into the surgery, but somehow managed to explain what's been going on. She gave me a prescription for 10 mg ciprotan / citalopram for anxiety. Is that a very low dose? She wants to see me back again in a month.

Delighted to hear it, Ruby!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Fuko200

Well tonight was a spit show. (yes, I'm censoring myself).

Sat down for the dinner, barely started eating, I said something (not an insult, just something funny happened in the last two days, had been discussed earlier in the day) and had a major argument with my mum.
    So much so I just said 'keep your f**king dinner' and left the table. She brought up crud from literally my childhood, as part of my screw-ups (and there are tons of screw-ups, feels like it was in my dna, tbh). The past 2 years have been tough, the past decade alone holds a lot of sad moments.

I had enough-it was five minutes of arguing, but I just was done-I'd rather starve than put up with that crud. I was tired, I just went to my workspace put on my headphones and just listened to music. Yes, I can be immature, but there are times when I just need to isolate myself.
    I know my screw-ups, they torment me every day of the week, all of my past mistakes. Pretty much every single one, I can isolate down to the time and place. And where I am now I most certainly would rather not be.

I completely understand, I'm pretty much the same with my family. I'm a awkward speaker and rarely speak to my family, but at times when I'm forced to eat with them it's incredibly awkward. I usually get comments on my weight, then they start asking why I'm depressed and that I need to 'grow the f**k up and get over it" etc. Thing is I'm not even badly overweight, just slightly. My mam is a health freak and thinks if your not a size 12 or below your the most obese person in the world, so often gets on me and my brothers case about it. I binge eat which I know is bad but it helps with the whole anxiety and other issues, and is in my opinion better than me drinking, smoking, doing drugs and other stuff which I'll never do as I know that's what brought everyone in my family to become utter di*k heads.
    Good on you for knowing when to leave the sitatution and how to take your mind off it, not a lot of people do.

I'm in the hospital tomorrow, so I'm making sure I bring headphones and my drawing tablet to focus.

I'm thinking about setting an appointment with my gp to get out back on medication, I keep taking myself off them without informing anyone and often end up with stock piles of the stuff.
    Also, can they start you off on a higher dosage of Prozac or do I have to start small? When I take a low dose it doesn't work, and often makes me quit immediately.

• Advertisement

Fuko200 wrote: »
    I'm thinking about setting an appointment with my gp to get out back on medication, I keep taking myself off them without informing anyone and often end up with stock piles of the stuff.
    Also, can they start you off on a higher dosage of Prozac or do I have to start small? When I take a low dose it doesn't work, and often makes me quit immediately.

It's really not a good idea to suddenly stop taking medication Fuko. Psychotropic drugs must be treated with respect. Sometimes depending on the individual and type of drug it can take a while to see the benefits. Are you seeing a therapist?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Ruby31 wrote: »

I think it's the minimum dose. I was on 40mg a few years ago but had been on a maintenance dose for the last year or so of 10mg until recently. It more or less kept me stable. I still had bad days from time to time but they didn't seem as bad and I think I bounced back quicker.

I'm thinking of going back on them actually. I'm due to go see my GP tomorrow although I have no appointment (I have to call on the day) but I'm feeling better now so I'm starting to think I don't need to go. Part of me thinks it would be a good idea to check in with her as it's been a year but then I'm afraid she will start wanting tests etc. Although that's always my fear when I go to the doctor.

It's really not a good idea to suddenly stop taking medication Fuko. Psychotropic drugs must be treated with respect. Sometimes depending on the individual and type of drug it can take a while to see the benefits. Are you seeing a therapist?

Yes I am currently seeing a therapist, I know I shouldn't stop suddenly but I get overwhelmed and feel ashamed being on them. For me I suffer the side effects for a long time and never notice the benefits so people need to persist that I'm better on them etc.
    For me it feels like my therapist isn't listening to my issues when I talk about the medication, so I never bother telling them much regarding it.

Yes I am currently seeing a therapist, I know I shouldn't stop suddenly but I get overwhelmed and feel ashamed being on them. For me I suffer the side effects for a long time and never notice the benefits so people need to persist that I'm better on them etc.
    For me it feels like my therapist isn't listening to my issues when I talk about the medication, so I never bother telling them much regarding it.

Would it be possible for you to find a different therapist?

I actually stopped doing them all together and am waiting till my next appointment with the person who decides my dosages etc to talk to them, but at this point I'm fed up with it since I know I've been telling them for far too long that I need a different medication.

• Advertisement

I actually stopped doing them all together and am waiting till my next appointment with the person who decides my dosages etc to talk to them, but at this point I'm fed up with it since I know I've been telling them for far too long that I need a different medication.

Medication is important but so is getting a handle on your struggles. Ask your psychiatrist for a recommendation to speak to a psychotherapist. There are low cost centres available. Also have a look at this website www.iahip.ie. They are the regulatory body for therapists in Ireland and will have a directory on their site.

Help is out there Fuko.

Medication is important but so is getting a handle on your struggles. Ask your psychiatrist for a recommendation to speak to a psychotherapist. There are low cost centres available. Also have a look at this website www.iahip.ie. They are the regulatory body for therapists in Ireland and will have a directory on their site.

Help is out there Fuko.

Sorry I often confuse therapists with psychiatrists/psychotherapists so I should give a bit more info.

I visit a woman who decides on my care and medication every few months or so,
    I used to visit a woman weekly to talk about my issues in a way, and how to cope etc. But most of these sessions would be me crying about not understanding what is causing my issues and other stuff, and when we did talk about coping it was all done on a work sheet like I was in school.
    About a month or two ago I told them that I didn't want to talk about all that as to me it felt useless and I felt like I was looked down up on and talked to like I was a child. She said she will talk to the woman who handles my plan about it.
    Up until recently I was also in a 'day hospital' where I was to go five times a day to talk about different topics and issues that can cause my issues. I would be in a group setting with other people who were having issues as well, and I would be assigned a nurse and a visit weekly from the person in control of my care plan instead of on a monthly basis.
    I also decided not to do this, as my anxiety was feeling worse attending these, and a few people would make me uneasy being near, and also the fact that I seen my 'planners' once out of two months, and pushed to other 'planners' who would know my issues and other stuff, so I felt like there was no privacy regarding my care nor any connection to opening up a bit.
    My family and my sisters want me to go to the hospital, as I am suicidal but I do not act on them, but are more like impulses to harm myself. (I used to and had attempted a few, and went to my gp after one who sent me to AE).

I cannot really afford any care etc as I'm unemployed and not on any payments etc, and due to my issues I cannot work as I'm extremely anxious in public and stay inside mostly. My 'planner' has suggested to me to sign onto disability allowance as my issues are covered by it but I'm still waiting on word on these.

I have been in the HSE mental health system and CAMHS since I was about 4-5 but I feel really let down by it all.

@Fuko, Thanks for the bit of background. I'm posting on my phone at the minute so will respond to you properly when I fire up the auld laptop :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

I'm so indecisive. Decided to go the doctor tomorrow as I seemed to have some lingering after effects of a cold from last week. Then my anxiety flared up badly recently (quite possibly as I came off my medication about a month ago).

This morning I was feeling anxious, like everything was awful, but now I feel much better and almost back to normal. I was thinking of talking to her about the anxiety again to see if I should resume the medication but now I'm thinking of not going. I don't have an appointment (I have to call tomorrow if I want one) so if I don't go it won't make any difference to them. I've a half day booked off work to attend but could easily just go to work instead.

I don't like going to the doctor as I'm worried they will just want tests so I feel like just leaving things be for now, not going and seeing how things go.

It's also an hour away so a bit out of the way. Ugh so indecisive. Part of me worries that I might be opening a can of worms. I still have a week or two supply left of my medication so I could just probably go back on it.

I’m heading home tonight anyway so even if I don’t go, I can still go to work tomorrow. Ugh. If I was sure I could just go, get a prescription and feel better and no tests I would be fine. But you just never know. I’m also thinking of asking her for recommendations for CBT counselling if she knows anyone.

So indecisive. Why didn’t I just stay on the bloody citalopram!?

Any advice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I completely understand, I'm pretty much the same with my family. I'm a awkward speaker and rarely speak to my family, but at times when I'm forced to eat with them it's incredibly awkward. I usually get comments on my weight, then they start asking why I'm depressed and that I need to 'grow the f**k up and get over it" etc. Thing is I'm not even badly overweight, just slightly. My mam is a health freak and thinks if your not a size 12 or below your the most obese person in the world, so often gets on me and my brothers case about it. I binge eat which I know is bad but it helps with the whole anxiety and other issues, and is in my opinion better than me drinking, smoking, doing drugs and other stuff which I'll never do as I know that's what brought everyone in my family to become utter di*k heads.
    Good on you for knowing when to leave the sitatution and how to take your mind off it, not a lot of people do.

I'm in the hospital tomorrow, so I'm making sure I bring headphones and my drawing tablet to focus.

It just started from nothing-literally nothing, and then I said something, she said 'will you ever shut up' and I found it really insulting (It was something we'd all been laughing at earlier-seems like she wanted to pick a fight). It came out of the blue, after just mentioning something else she agreed on. I just left the table, they tried to get me to go back and eat it, but I just preferred to go hungry. My past is my past, and I regret it all completely, but I can't do a darn thing about it. I wish I could, I'd change it all. And there are days when I'm like 'you know you're a waste of space, you just know it".
    I get issues about my weight, like my mother worries about my weight all the time.(hey, not eating a dinner is a great way to lose weight...*bad joke, sorry*). My dad died from Pancreatic Cancer (he was heavy too, he piled on weight when he was given steroids for treatment for an illness over a decade prior, had trouble losing it), and a lot of extended family have issues like diabetes, or died of heart attacks. So I can understand it (I must add most were heavy smokers/ drinkers at some point in their lives. I get out at the weekend for a pint or four, but I've never smoked anything in my life. I don't do drugs either-addiction runs in my dad's side of the family, so I avoided it).
    I pick a day, and binge eat or have a coke with it, but I don't do it every week. And yes, I know it's not healthy. I feel like a boulder the next day.
    Thanks, I rarely do--know when to leave it, I mean, but I was just tired, and said I've no energy for this. Went to bed hungry, made a sandwich and had a glass of milk. But need to go shopping for groceries, cos the fridge and cupboard is bare.
    I completely appreciate and am grateful for everything they've done for me-I'll never, ever forget what they have done. Ever. And if they think I will, they must have a terrible image of me. But I doubt they do.
    But I just didn't want anything yesterday-I just wanted to eat, but lost my appetite.

Drawing is so important-it's cathartic. I don't know why, it just is. Same with writing. Something about attacking the paper. HAve a tablet too, but I find I need paper because it helps me focus. Best of luck in the hospital, but I'd also advise you do not discontinue medication without some form of medical supervision.
    I've only stopped cold turkey twice in my life, and I'd never do it again. It's dangerous to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

veganrun wrote: »
    I'm so indecisive. Decided to go the doctor tomorrow as I seemed to have some lingering after effects of a cold from last week. Then my anxiety flared up badly recently (quite possibly as I came off my medication about a month ago).

This morning I was feeling anxious, like everything was awful, but now I feel much better and almost back to normal. I was thinking of talking to her about the anxiety again to see if I should resume the medication but now I'm thinking of not going. I don't have an appointment (I have to call tomorrow if I want one) so if I don't go it won't make any difference to them. I've a half day booked off work to attend but could easily just go to work instead.

I don't like going to the doctor as I'm worried they will just want tests so I feel like just leaving things be for now, not going and seeing how things go.

It's also an hour away so a bit out of the way. Ugh so indecisive. Part of me worries that I might be opening a can of worms. I still have a week or two supply left of my medication so I could just probably go back on it.

I’m heading home tonight anyway so even if I don’t go, I can still go to work tomorrow. Ugh. If I was sure I could just go, get a prescription and feel better and no tests I would be fine. But you just never know. I’m also thinking of asking her for recommendations for CBT counselling if she knows anyone.

So indecisive. Why didn’t I just stay on the bloody citalopram!?

Any advice?

Depends-did you do it under medical supervision, or without? You may need to go back on it again, but might be possible to reduce the dose, maybe? Depending on advise.

It seems like it's worse without something than it is with.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Hi guys, very long time since I've been in here not sure anyone will recognise me anymore? :( Just looking for any advice on antidepressants, mainly Citalopram, in terms of pros and cons and whether it's worth taking the plunge and going for it without too much thought? I've suffered from depression and anxiety for more years than I care to mention, it's put my life on hiatus and just got worse and worse. I probably should have been on antidepressants a long, long time ago but there you go. I just want to be able to function again and build my way up from there. Thanks all

fr336 wrote: »
    Hi guys, very long time since I've been in here not sure anyone will recognise me anymore? :( Just looking for any advice on antidepressants, mainly Citalopram, in terms of pros and cons and whether it's worth taking the plunge and going for it without too much thought? I've suffered from depression and anxiety for more years than I care to mention, it's put my life on hiatus and just got worse and worse. I probably should have been on antidepressants a long, long time ago but there you go. I just want to be able to function again and build my way up from there. Thanks all

We'd never forget you, Fr. :)

Sorry to hear that you're still dealing with the depression and anxiety there.

I can't speak about that particular drug unfortunately. Hopefully someone else will be able to advise you.

Sorry I often confuse therapists with psychiatrists/psychotherapists so I should give a bit more info.

I visit a woman who decides on my care and medication every few months or so,
    I used to visit a woman weekly to talk about my issues in a way, and how to cope etc. But most of these sessions would be me crying about not understanding what is causing my issues and other stuff, and when we did talk about coping it was all done on a work sheet like I was in school.
    About a month or two ago I told them that I didn't want to talk about all that as to me it felt useless and I felt like I was looked down up on and talked to like I was a child. She said she will talk to the woman who handles my plan about it.
    Up until recently I was also in a 'day hospital' where I was to go five times a day to talk about different topics and issues that can cause my issues. I would be in a group setting with other people who were having issues as well, and I would be assigned a nurse and a visit weekly from the person in control of my care plan instead of on a monthly basis.
    I also decided not to do this, as my anxiety was feeling worse attending these, and a few people would make me uneasy being near, and also the fact that I seen my 'planners' once out of two months, and pushed to other 'planners' who would know my issues and other stuff, so I felt like there was no privacy regarding my care nor any connection to opening up a bit.
    My family and my sisters want me to go to the hospital, as I am suicidal but I do not act on them, but are more like impulses to harm myself. (I used to and had attempted a few, and went to my gp after one who sent me to AE).

I cannot really afford any care etc as I'm unemployed and not on any payments etc, and due to my issues I cannot work as I'm extremely anxious in public and stay inside mostly. My 'planner' has suggested to me to sign onto disability allowance as my issues are covered by it but I'm still waiting on word on these.

I have been in the HSE mental health system and CAMHS since I was about 4-5 but I feel really let down by it all.

Now :)

I get the impression you are in your early twenties Fuko. It's a stage of life that's "supposed" to be filled with hope and excitement but I know the reality is often different. Sitting down with a complete stranger when you are at your most vulnerable can feel like a mammoth task. I've been there myself. When we're at our lowest it's hard to feel like we deserve the best care so put up with feeling like you described; looked down upon, spoken to like a child, etc. It sounds like you and your therapist aren't a good fit. You need to be able to go in and talk and explore how you feel. This might involve looking at your early childhood and the relationship you have with your parents and any major life events which may have occurred. You mention being in the system from a young age so it can't have been easy for you.

Talk to your psychiatrist about your concerns regarding your counselling. Tell her how you feel about attending the day services. Be in the driving seat of your care Fuko and don't be fobbed off. Ask all of the questions.
    Mental health care in this country exists but is a bit fragmented and dependent upon need and financial ability. Wonderful work can be done but they won't reach or connect with every person who walks through their doors. If you are based in Dublin ask your Psychiatrist for a recommendation of a low cost therapy centre. Don't be afraid to shop around.

As for the disability allowance it would be no harm to ring the Department of Social Affairs to see what the story is with your application. I was once lost myself. Some days those moments don't seem all that long ago but we have to keep up the good and know that we deserve a bit of contentment. Sure why not? Don't give up on giving yourself a chance Fuko. Help is out there.

We'd never forget you, Fr. :)

Sorry to hear that you're still dealing with the depression and anxiety there.

I can't speak about that particular drug unfortunately. Hopefully someone else will be able to advise you.

Hugo! :):D Nice to see such a familiar face! How's it going?

Ta, no worries. I can't even remember if I'd admitted to the depression and anxiety fully when we used to talk, I guess as I was in this thread I was aware of something and maybe even talking it up to myself but I think only recently I've actually accepted it? Not that I was all ashamed, quite the opposite in fact...fully accepting it was actually a weight off my mind and ironically, being so anti meds before, feeling even that tiny bit better makes me want to try medication far more now as I know just how long I've been going without the glimmer of light poking through :)

May I ask what you've been on, if anything?

P.S. Good to see your mod credentials these days!!

• Advertisement

Now :)

I get the impression you are in your early twenties Fuko. It's a stage of life that's "supposed" to be filled with hope and excitement but I know the reality is often different. Sitting down with a complete stranger when you are at your most vulnerable can feel like a mammoth task. I've been there myself. When we're at our lowest it's hard to feel like we deserve the best care so put up with feeling like you described; looked down upon, spoken to like a child, etc. It sounds like you and your therapist aren't a good fit. You need to be able to go in and talk and explore how you feel. This might involve looking at your early childhood and the relationship you have with your parents and any major life events which may have occurred. You mention being in the system from a young age so it can't have been easy for you.

Talk to your psychiatrist about your concerns regarding your counselling. Tell her how you feel about attending the day services. Be in the driving seat of your care Fuko and don't be fobbed off. Ask all of the questions.
    Mental health care in this country exists but is a bit fragmented and dependent upon need and financial ability. Wonderful work can be done but they won't reach or connect with every person who walks through their doors. If you are based in Dublin ask your Psychiatrist for a recommendation of a low cost therapy centre. Don't be afraid to shop around.

As for the disability allowance it would be no harm to ring the Department of Social Affairs to see what the story is with your application. I was once lost myself. Some days those moments don't seem all that long ago but we have to keep up the good and know that we deserve a bit of contentment. Sure why not? Don't give up on giving yourself a chance Fuko. Help is out there.

Thank you for the wonder advice Perse, I actually am only 20 and I've had more issues then years of living! I actually suffered from abuse within the family and due to these I've become extremely secluded from others, and I've suffered from abuse from partners from a young age too. I'll tell my psychiatrist about these and other things as well. I mainly started into the system since I wasn't able to speak, and I couldn't understand certain things which were wrong and also saw things differently than my family, resulting in the abuse.
    I'll get back into contact with the department as I've been calling for the last few days but have been on hold for a while.
    Thanks for the words and advice, it means a lot.

It just started from nothing-literally nothing, and then I said something, she said 'will you ever shut up' and I found it really insulting (It was something we'd all been laughing at earlier-seems like she wanted to pick a fight). It came out of the blue, after just mentioning something else she agreed on. I just left the table, they tried to get me to go back and eat it, but I just preferred to go hungry. My past is my past, and I regret it all completely, but I can't do a darn thing about it. I wish I could, I'd change it all. And there are days when I'm like 'you know you're a waste of space, you just know it".
    I get issues about my weight, like my mother worries about my weight all the time.(hey, not eating a dinner is a great way to lose weight...*bad joke, sorry*). My dad died from Pancreatic Cancer (he was heavy too, he piled on weight when he was given steroids for treatment for an illness over a decade prior, had trouble losing it), and a lot of extended family have issues like diabetes, or died of heart attacks. So I can understand it (I must add most were heavy smokers/ drinkers at some point in their lives. I get out at the weekend for a pint or four, but I've never smoked anything in my life. I don't do drugs either-addiction runs in my dad's side of the family, so I avoided it).
    I pick a day, and binge eat or have a coke with it, but I don't do it every week. And yes, I know it's not healthy. I feel like a boulder the next day.
    Thanks, I rarely do--know when to leave it, I mean, but I was just tired, and said I've no energy for this. Went to bed hungry, made a sandwich and had a glass of milk. But need to go shopping for groceries, cos the fridge and cupboard is bare.
    I completely appreciate and am grateful for everything they've done for me-I'll never, ever forget what they have done. Ever. And if they think I will, they must have a terrible image of me. But I doubt they do.
    But I just didn't want anything yesterday-I just wanted to eat, but lost my appetite.

Drawing is so important-it's cathartic. I don't know why, it just is. Same with writing. Something about attacking the paper. HAve a tablet too, but I find I need paper because it helps me focus. Best of luck in the hospital, but I'd also advise you do not discontinue medication without some form of medical supervision.
    I've only stopped cold turkey twice in my life, and I'd never do it again. It's dangerous to do so.

my mothers side suffers from breast cancer and my fathers side suffer from lung cancer, the later caused by heavy smoking. My mother is mainly focused on my weight specifically because she lost hers and thinks I have no reason to do be "obese". I like drawing on paper but I'm able to do my style easier on tablet.
    I hope those feelings go away for you soon hopefully.

Hi fr. You would be best having a chat with your doctor regarding citalopram. There are loads of different experiences with antidepressants depending on the person. I think I was on Citalopram very briefly before changing to Lexapro. This was in my twenties so can barely remember. Ask your doctor for their advice.

Thank you for the wonder advice Perse, I actually am only 20 and I've had more issues then years of living! I actually suffered from abuse within the family and due to these I've become extremely secluded from others, and I've suffered from abuse from partners from a young age too. I'll tell my psychiatrist about these and other things as well. I mainly started into the system since I wasn't able to speak, and I couldn't understand certain things which were wrong and also saw things differently than my family, resulting in the abuse.
    I'll get back into contact with the department as I've been calling for the last few days but have been on hold for a while.
    Thanks for the words and advice, it means a lot.

I'm sorry you experienced that :( Just mind yourself x

And all of you who post here. I rarely put finger to key here but I do read the thread and one thing I notice missing is fun. I know, how the hell can there be fun when you feel so sad? When the daily task of living is a struggle. But you know sometimes finding a bit of silliness and posting an auld cat meme or two can do wonders for the spirit. I of course remain illiterate to the ways of embedding images so I'll leave it to the more techno minded among you :p

Hi fr. You would be best having a chat with your doctor regarding citalopram. There are loads of different experiences with antidepressants depending on the person. I think I was on Citalopram very briefly before changing to Lexapro. This was in my twenties so can barely remember. Ask your doctor for their advice.

Many thanks. I don't know what your docs are like over there but here on the NHS (England) I'm not sure they are amazing to be honest with you. When this all first started (not that it was as bad as now I don't think) I saw two different doctors and one prescribed Citalopram and the other Fluoxetine. I believe these are two "mild", widely used antidepressants but obviously they still have plenty of potential faults also! Thanks again.

Many thanks. I don't know what your docs are like over there but here on the NHS (England) I'm not sure they are amazing to be honest with you. When this all first started (not that it was as bad as now I don't think) I saw two different doctors and one prescribed Citalopram and the other Fluoxetine. I believe these are two "mild", widely used antidepressants but obviously they still have plenty of potential faults also! Thanks again.

Ah you are across the water. I was on Lexapro 20mg for a few years and the only negative affect it had for me was miniscule to zero sex drive. It's the brand name for Escitalopram. Fluoxetine is Prozac and considered an older drug. Then you have Sertraline which is sold under the names Zoloft and Lustral. All have their own properties and individual experiences. Good luck :)

Ah you are across the water. I was on Lexapro 20mg for a few years and the only negative affect it had for me was miniscule to zero sex drive. It's the brand name for Escitalopram. Fluoxetine is Prozac and considered an older drug. Then you have Sertraline which is sold under the names Zoloft and Lustral. All have their own properties and individual experiences. Good luck :)

Thanks for this :) Across the water indeed :D I've just had enough really - I think I've become so used to feeling like this, that I don't even really get upset anymore it's just I need a way out kind of thing! I literally can't do anything with my life, writing this even takes it out of me (crazy but true). I've come to the conclusion that if you're at rock bottom anyway the only way is up, even if the side effects of the meds are bad. And even if one doesn't work or work straight away, my feeling is that I've so unable to function as I'd like to (ironically I'm highly ambitious and semi- positive despite all this), literally anything I take would surely give me some sort of 'bounce' and a grip off from the floor if that makes any sense? And I could go from there. As things stand, I get so anxious, so empty, so irrational...but one thing is that I am aware of it all, and even though I've wasted so many years of my 20s on this (quickly heading towards the 30s now), I don't feel I've had to deal with as awful a time as others. For instance I've never been one to not be able to get outta bed and face the day kinda thing...quite the opposite in fact, I used to like staying up far too much (maybe delaying the next day so perhaps that was an indication too...) Apologies for the ramble, as I said this is a struggle

Hugo! :):D Nice to see such a familiar face! How's it going?

Ta, no worries. I can't even remember if I'd admitted to the depression and anxiety fully when we used to talk, I guess as I was in this thread I was aware of something and maybe even talking it up to myself but I think only recently I've actually accepted it? Not that I was all ashamed, quite the opposite in fact...fully accepting it was actually a weight off my mind and ironically, being so anti meds before, feeling even that tiny bit better makes me want to try medication far more now as I know just how long I've been going without the glimmer of light poking through :)

May I ask what you've been on, if anything?

P.S. Good to see your mod credentials these days!!

You know, before seeking out help for all this many years ago, I hid myself away from the world and was utterly miserable, and I mean truly utterly. Only when I accepted that my emotions weren't normal and sought out help (albeit gradually!) things became much better. I still have my issues but nothing like what they were before. Jesus, even just forming that sentence made my eyes water up, but in a happy way. :)

Regarding meds, I've tasted many. All the usual stuff like prozac, Venlafaxine, imipramine, mirap, pregabalin etc. Totally depends on the person and issues.

Re: becoming a hmod. I totally sold out! Haha :pac:
    And all of you who post here. I rarely put finger to key here but I do read the thread and one thing I notice missing is fun. I know, how the hell can there be fun when you feel so sad? When the daily task of living is a struggle. But you know sometimes finding a bit of silliness and posting an auld cat meme or two can do wonders for the spirit. I of course remain illiterate to the ways of embedding images so I'll leave it to the more techno minded among you :p

I try to distract myself with comedy and memes etc all the time. Often, it's one of the things that can actually lift me out of a funk. :)

You know, before seeking out help for all this many years ago, I hid myself away from the world and was utterly miserable, and I mean truly utterly. Only when I accepted that my emotions weren't normal and sought out help (albeit gradually!) things became much better. I still have my issues but nothing like what they were before. Jesus, even just forming that sentence made my eyes water up, but in a happy way. :)

Regarding meds, I've tasted many. All the usual stuff like prozac, Venlafaxine, imipramine, mirap, pregabalin etc. Totally depends on the person and issues.

Re: becoming a hmod. I totally sold out! Haha :pac:

Thanks Hugo. So glad you have made so much progress. And you definitely did sell out :pac:

See the thing is, I have no mental energy. I can read away and barely take things in, and post the occasional jokey post, but when it comes to anything which requires concentration I'm just drained...even posting here again. I have to write letters to the doctors. Not sure I can do another. I just need meds at this point. What do I say. Two different ones prescribed Citalopram amd Fluoxetine (Prozac) in the past..

• Advertisement

The auld meds will only do so much I find. A bit like a bandage on your knee which will help you walk and give you support but you also must put I'm some long term work so the knee doesn't go again.

Advertisement