Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

The auld meds will only do so much I find. A bit like a bandage on your knee which will help you walk and give you support but you also must put I'm some long term work so the knee doesn't go again.

Sure. But I've done just about everything possible in the past 18 months to get myself better "naturally" - all the usual stuff like exercise and diet etc. It HAS improved things here and there, but not too much and not consistently. I'm not about to waste another 18 months or even a month. This has stolen years and years of my life (building up slowly but surely and decreasing my productivity all the while...now it's zero despite holding down a simple part time job which is hell due to the anxiety and depression). I have worked damn hard. But I know realise that most people who are depressed are never quite this deep and finding it impossible to get out. To cry would be an achievement for me. I need the bottom floor fixed because I can't do anything right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

fr336 wrote: »
    Thanks Hugo. So glad you have made so much progress.

I did but yet I didn't. See Persepoly's post quoted below. I've essentially been doing the meds just by themselves with the occasional bit of counselling (often years between sessions). Things have been coming to a head the last while and it was actually a talk with Persepoly on here that made me realise that I need to go back to counselling too, perhaps for the longterm even.
    The auld meds will only do so much I find. A bit like a bandage on your knee which will help you walk and give you support but you also must put I'm some long term work so the knee doesn't go again.

:)

Sure. But I've done just about everything possible in the past 18 months to get myself better "naturally" - all the usual stuff like exercise and diet etc. It HAS improved things here and there, but not too much and not consistently. I'm not about to waste another 18 months or even a month. This has stolen years and years of my life (building up slowly but surely and decreasing my productivity all the while...now it's zero despite holding down a simple part time job which is hell due to the anxiety and depression). I have worked damn hard. But I know realise that most people who are depressed are never quite this deep and finding it impossible to get out. To cry would be an achievement for me. I need the bottom floor fixed because I can't do anything right now.

Have you ever had therapy? I mean long deep work on yourself?

Have you ever had therapy? I mean long deep work on yourself?

No. To be honest this started off as anxiety through lack of sleep many moons ago, I've lost track to be honest. This then morphed into depression as a result of my life being on hiatus. So not sure what a therapist could advise (oh and that's if I even got a good one...the chances of it are remote)

No. To be honest this started off as anxiety through lack of sleep many moons ago, I've lost track to be honest. This then morphed into depression as a result of my life being on hiatus. So not sure what a therapist could advise (oh and that's if I even got a good one...the chances of it are remote)

No advise at all I'd imagine buy maybe help you gain an understanding as to why you find life so difficult. Maybe connecting on a deep level with another human who will really listen to you would be enough to begin a change. Then perhaps the tears will come. Crying for the life that you should be living. The loss of years spent in anxiousness.

I spent the guts of five years in therapy and it helped me immensely. It's not for everyone but worth a shot :)

• Advertisement

No advise at all I'd imagine buy maybe help you gain an understanding as to why you find life so difficult. Maybe connecting on a deep level with another human who will really listen to you would be enough to begin a change. Then perhaps the tears will come. Crying for the life that you should be living. The loss of years spent in anxiousness.

I spent the guts of five years in therapy and it helped me immensely. It's not for everyone but worth a shot :)

I find life so difficult due to the physical repercussions of a bad sleep, diet and general health routine from a few years back. I've turned all of this around but still the depression and anxiety is here and stopping me living any kind of life. I don't have issues from my past which need to be dealt with, I am hugely ambitious and am up out of bed trying to live a life. The problem is I can't. So I'm afraid that while therapy will be useful in many cases, I don't need an understanding as to why I find life so difficult....I'm not scared of people, or battling demons, I just want to live my life due to these conditions. P.S. I've been to a therapist in fact years ago, they were hilariously bad, but it was on the NHS I suppose. But again, I can see the benefits of them to many people and if I thought one could be of use to me I would be down there every day knocking the door.

I find life so difficult due to the physical repercussions of a bad sleep, diet and general health routine from a few years back. I've turned all of this around but still the depression and anxiety is here and stopping me living any kind of life. I don't have issues from my past which need to be dealt with, I am hugely ambitious and am up out of bed trying to live a life. The problem is I can't. So I'm afraid that while therapy will be useful in many cases, I don't need an understanding as to why I find life so difficult....I'm not scared of people, or battling demons, I just want to live my life due to these conditions. P.S. I've been to a therapist in fact years ago, they were hilariously bad, but it was on the NHS I suppose. But again, I can see the benefits of them to many people and if I thought one could be of use to me I would be down there every day knocking the door.

There is something in your way. What is it?

A lot of people find themselves in this situation for many different reasons, or even no known reason.

Only last night on here, I was being hugely dismissive of absolutely everything in both life in general and in recovery. Tonight, I feel positive about it. Tomorrow evening, I might not. Things can change from moment to moment when depression is involved. Therapy might be able to help us slow down those changes and to hold onto a more stable mindset.

There is something in your way. What is it?

Is there? Are you listening to me?

Is there? Are you listening to me?

You are ambitious, have no demons to battle, no people to be scared of. You get up every morning to try and live your life. Yet anxiety and depression seems to be a constant.

What causes you to be anxious? Is it a physical feeling in your body as well as your mind? Are there triggers? Is it lack of sleep? When you say you have depression what do you mean? Always sad? Not able to face the day? Hopeless and helpless?

• Advertisement

You are ambitious, have no demons to battle, no people to be scared of. You get up every morning to try and live your life. Yet anxiety and depression seems to be a constant.

What causes you to be anxious? Is it a physical feeling in your body as well as your mind? Are there triggers? Is it lack of sleep? When you say you have depression what do you mean? Always sad? Not able to face the day? Hopeless and helpless?

It developed over a long period of time due to a very unhealthy lifestyle. Constantly spiking my blood sugar with junk didn't help either. The feelings are near constant. The rare times I'm 'sad' are the good days, I actually feel something. The rest of the time it's just emptiness. I don't enjoy / appreciate things. I have no problem leaving the house and going for walks which are nice but do nothing to resolve the actual problems. I definitely feel hopeless. It's exhausted me writing this to you in the comfort of my home, imagine the exhaustion of a patronising therapist for no results. Should I waste another 18 months of my life doing nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Eagles1900

hello,
    Can someone please list some of the best places in Dublin that help people who suffer from anxiety?
    Thank you very much!

It developed over a long period of time due to a very unhealthy lifestyle. Constantly spiking my blood sugar with junk didn't help either. The feelings are near constant. The rare times I'm 'sad' are the good days, I actually feel something. The rest of the time it's just emptiness. I don't enjoy / appreciate things. I have no problem leaving the house and going for walks which are nice but do nothing to resolve the actual problems. I definitely feel hopeless. It's exhausted me writing this to you in the comfort of my home, imagine the exhaustion of a patronising therapist for no results. Should I waste another 18 months of my life doing nothing?

Thank you for responding to me. It wasn't my intention to be harsh but I wanted to understand a bit more about where you're at and how you found yourself there.

Feeling empty and when you do feel something it's sadness and hopelessness. No enjoyment out of life. Sure I'd be frustrated myself and ready to take whatever I could to get me out of that place.

Absolutely look in to medication fr. I wasn't suggesting you don't. But listen. Sit yourself down one of the evenings and have a think about who you are. Get out old photos of family and friends, be nostalgic, remember. Find something which helps you feel :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Feeling very nervous. Will be heading in shortly to try to get an appointment with the GP. Not sure what time I will get one at but will try to get one that’s before 10am. But my mind is still torturing me with what ifs about the appointment.

Not long back from the Dr. I managed to get an appointment pretty much first thing and got seen a few minutes earlier than expected. My throat and ears are fine, she gave me some spray as my throat was a bit pink. Regarding my anxiety she said her honest opinion was that I should stay on the citalopram. She made a strong case for it and it was mostly what I was thinking myself, so I will resume taking them tomorrow.

I guess I just have some sort of embarrassment about needing to take them. I keep comparing myself to others and thinking they probably don’t need them so why should I. Then I hear arguments saying if it was some physical condition you wouldn’t feel bad taking medication, but I think because it’s mental and not something you can see or touch I kind of feel like I should just be stronger and be able to deal with it.

But then I’ve always been a worrier so maybe it was inevitable.

veganrun wrote: »
    Not long back from the Dr. I managed to get an appointment pretty much first thing and got seen a few minutes earlier than expected. My throat and ears are fine, she gave me some spray as my throat was a bit pink. Regarding my anxiety she said her honest opinion was that I should stay on the citalopram. She made a strong case for it and it was mostly what I was thinking myself, so I will resume taking them tomorrow.

I guess I just have some sort of embarrassment about needing to take them. I keep comparing myself to others and thinking they probably don’t need them so why should I. Then I hear arguments saying if it was some physical condition you wouldn’t feel bad taking medication, but I think because it’s mental and not something you can see or touch I kind of feel like I should just be stronger and be able to deal with it.

But then I’ve always been a worrier so maybe it was inevitable.

Well done for going. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭Shpudnik

Had a really tough week in the last week. Feeling really low and feeling it all catch up on me not sure what to do or how to talk to. Just feeling meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭7 Seconds...

I went for a shamanic healing today & for the time in a long time I actually feel positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Been ok so far this week Monday and Tuesday was the worst days but past 2 where good for me.

Tommarow night work night out with the team hopefully if be a good one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I've been unable to drag myself from my bed this week.. When i have managed to leave the house I've resented having to leave the house. Soon I'll be back to work and have wasted my time off.

• Advertisement

I have made a big fluff of my life so far, so I am going to start again. Thank God, I am alive to do so, I am actually very lucky to be here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I have made a big fluff of my life so far, so I am going to start again. Thank God, I am alive to do so, I am actually very lucky to be here.

I luckily realise this every so often. You couldn't have said it better, thank you.

Wishing you all a good weekend ahead.

Didn’t think I’d say this but I kind of can’t wait to get back on my medication. I wish I had stayed on it and it was a mistake to come off them. I don’t like how I’ve been the last while. Starting back on them tonight.

Wishing you all a good weekend ahead.
    Hope you have a good weekend too.:)

Hope you have a good weekend too.:)

I most likely won't. Have been feeling increasingly down lately. My emotions are really out of control. Of course, I hide this as well as I can from my family and colleagues, which makes me feel so very alone and drained.

I appreciate you wishing me a good weekend though. x

veganrun wrote: »
    Didn’t think I’d say this but I kind of can’t wait to get back on my medication. I wish I had stayed on it and it was a mistake to come off them. I don’t like how I’ve been the last while. Starting back on them tonight.

Best of luck, VR.

I most likely won't. Have been feeling increasingly down lately. My emotions are really out of control. Of course, I hide this as well as I can from my family and colleagues, which makes me feel so very alone and drained.

I appreciate you wishing me a good weekend though. x

You can change things H, and change things for the better. Up until yesterday I was convinced I couldn't but we can. Decide what it is you want and work towards that, little steps in the beginning can make a world of different in the long run. You deserve to be happy. We get what we focus on and it is best to focus on the positives in your life. You can get to where you want to be in life, you are a good, kind & caring person so you are already half way there:).

Health anxiety really does my head in.

• Advertisement

You can change things H, and change things for the better. Up until yesterday I was convinced I couldn't but we can. Decide what it is you want and work towards that, little steps in the beginning can make a world of different in the long run. You deserve to be happy. We get what we focus on and it is best to focus on the positives in your life. You can get to where you want to be in life, you are a good, kind & caring person so you are already half way there:).

I took the first step towards help yesterday, but it's still so incredibly early in the process that the amount of work needed is very daunting. My head says that I won't be able for it and I'm afraid that I'm actually to believe that.

Advertisement