Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭7 Seconds...

I took the first step towards help yesterday, but it's still so incredibly early in the process that the amount of work needed is very daunting. My head says that I won't be able for it and I'm afraid that I'm actually to believe that.

It is hard in the beginning, but it will be well worth it. You can do it & you will do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭jsms88

Be strong people. Have a good weekend :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

It is hard in the beginning, but it will be well worth it. You can do it & you will do it.

Thank you. I hope so. I'm very much my own worst enemy.
    jsms88 wrote: »
    Be strong people. Have a good weekend :)

You too, J.

veganrun wrote: »
    Health anxiety really does my head in.

Hope it passes soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Fuko200 wrote: »
    my mothers side suffers from breast cancer and my fathers side suffer from lung cancer, the later caused by heavy smoking. My mother is mainly focused on my weight specifically because she lost hers and thinks I have no reason to do be "obese". I like drawing on paper but I'm able to do my style easier on tablet.
    I hope those feelings go away for you soon hopefully.

I'm hoping so too-had a good day yesterday. Went grocery shopping, went to the social services in order to sign on, have an appointment for next week. Also have to get the new social services card next week. Refilled my prescription too. Also, I cooked dinner for everyone, I did a few odd jobs outside. Weather was brutal and I was tired after it all, but a pretty productive day (rain and bad weather will do that to the body).

I'm hoping so too-I know I need to talk to someone, but arranging a counsellor is tough (some construction work going on atm, it's some old sheds and walls that need mending, or replacing). It's mostly wishing I was in a better place right now-and not a burden, if that makes sense. I just look around and see how others lives would be improved if I was somewhere else (not dead, I must add, it can kind of read like that) but rather I'd love to see my brother married with kids.
    I know it's what he wants, and I know he'd be a really good parent-but at the moment I feel like I'm in the way.
    A lot of people I know are married/ starting families. While I've never wanted kids, it would be nice to have someone. :/
    Fuko200 wrote: »
    Thank you for the wonder advice Perse, I actually am only 20 and I've had more issues then years of living! I actually suffered from abuse within the family and due to these I've become extremely secluded from others, and I've suffered from abuse from partners from a young age too. I'll tell my psychiatrist about these and other things as well. I mainly started into the system since I wasn't able to speak, and I couldn't understand certain things which were wrong and also saw things differently than my family, resulting in the abuse.
    I'll get back into contact with the department as I've been calling for the last few days but have been on hold for a while.
    Thanks for the words and advice, it means a lot.

Oh Fuko, I'm so sorry. I sort of can empathise. While I wasn't molested or anything, I got beat up a lot, mocked and pretty much bullied from the get go. I once had a counselllor ask me 'how are you still here?' based on the crud I've gone through. I've got issues surrounding trust and other things-it's all one interweaving crud show.
    Abuse, be it physical or emotional (I can't discuss sexual abuse because I don't really have a great understanding of it) can be incredibly damaging-it changes how you see yourself, from the get go. It's been said Suffering can turn a boy to a man and a man to a king, or it can completely ruin his life .

I hope I don't offend, but not being able to talk at a young age, and other things you said-that sounds a little like Autism Spectrum disorder. Just from your description, and knowing a few friends of mine who have it. Might be worth checking out, in case. I hope you get some clarity, and that may require a number of tests just to garner the levels of stress, and how to cope with them. And I hope things improve also.
    It may require adjusting medication, or other things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Ever feel a bit overwhelmed? I feel like I have been recently or like I can't cope. My lease is up in 2 months and my mood is making me want to move home. I hadn't really fell like that until recently. Probably the anxiety coming back and coming off the medication hasn't helped.

veganrun wrote: »
    Ever feel a bit overwhelmed? I feel like I have been recently or like I can't cope. My lease is up in 2 months and my mood is making me want to move home. I hadn't really fell like that until recently. Probably the anxiety coming back and coming off the medication hasn't helped.

Very much so. All the time.

Hopefully your meds will kick in in the next week or two and it'll subside.

Trying hard to control some what-if thoughts today. Make me feel very fatalistic sometimes.... wondering what’s the point of it all. I mean all the things we do everyday and all the things we think are important.

Trying hard to control some what-if thoughts today. Make me feel very fatalistic sometimes.... wondering what’s the point of it all. I mean all the things we do everyday and all the things we think are important.

I'm guilty of that too.

Has anything brought this on or is it just random?

I'm guilty of that too.

Has anything brought this on or is it just random?

It’s a pretty constant thing these days to be honest. As I’ve grown up it’s become a bigger deal. To some extent it’s just the realities of life isn’t it? Some days I’m busy enough not to have to focus on it.

• Advertisement

It’s a pretty constant thing these days to be honest. As I’ve grown up it’s become a bigger deal. To some extent it’s just the realities of life isn’t it? Some days I’m busy enough not to have to focus on it.

Do you find that the quiet alone time are when hits hard?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Going for dinner and I'm a ball of anxiety. First world problem eh?. :o

Not at all, Grem.

Hope your dinner goes well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭Ruby31

Is it anything in particular you're anxious about? I get like that too, but I usually enjoy it when I get there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I think it comes down to self worth a lot. Really enjoyed it though, my partner really helps too, she understands thankfully..

I think it comes down to self worth a lot. Really enjoyed it though, my partner really helps too, she understands thankfully..

Glad to hear that, Grem. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

I had 3 panic attacks in work yesterday.

I had a few drinks on thursday night (s few too many) and i had to say goodbye to three people close to me (one was a bereavement) this week. So i think that is what brought it on.

I felt two coming on today but i stopped them. But its like im constantly on edge now that im going to get one.

Does anyone have any tips on how to prevent them or help stop them? Im mainly walking around and drinking water, but I wonder if there is a better way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

pew wrote: »
    I had 3 panic attacks in work yesterday.

I had a few drinks on thursday night (s few too many) and i had to say goodbye to three people close to me (one was a bereavement) this week. So i think that is what brought it on.

I felt two coming on today but i stopped them. But its like im constantly on edge now that im going to get one.

Does anyone have any tips on how to prevent them or help stop them? Im mainly walking around and drinking water, but I wonder if there is a better way.

Sorry for your loss, and saying goodbye is brutal.

As for the panic attacks-Take ten minutes to slowly breathe in, focus on your breath going all the way down your body, and then think of all the stresses and problems going on right then. Then release. And repeat. It helps to even go outside, a 'stuffy' office is less an excuse, and more a reality, tbh.
    Do those a few times a day, it helps ease anxiety-you can better instructions on those exercises, but that's the summation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Anyone else feel like anti-depressants no longer do anything for them? Cos they do flip all for me :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭Shpudnik

I feel like I hurt everyone I care about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭4Ad

Shpudnik wrote: »
    I feel like I hurt everyone I care about.

Im sure you dont...
    You probably over think everything...I do..

4Ad wrote: »
    Im sure you dont...
    You probably over think everything...I do..

Fairly certain I do. My actions always end up causing harm and suffering to others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,859 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

https://open.spotify.com/track/0fW13W2PZe6zq87vqUBR66

I need to say something about this song, Iisten to it, it sends out of signals and as an slight Austim sufferer I can relate to it. I'm not going to cure it, abusing/degrading me is not going to cure it. It's tough but hang In there we all here for u

Serious blues tonight. Feeling like I'll never amount to anything.

Shpudnik wrote: »
    Serious blues tonight. Feeling like I'll never amount to anything.

Fake it till you make it! Keeping telling yourself you are good enough until you actually believe you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

jaxxx wrote: »
    Anyone else feel like anti-depressants no longer do anything for them? Cos they do flip all for me :mad:

How long are you on them?

It can take a while to find the right prescription and to see whether they are generally having a positive effect.

Most anti-depressants can take several weeks before your body is actually reacting to them fully so between this and tweaking the dosage, it could easily be 3-6 months before you can say that they are not for you.

Try to keep a daily diary while on new doses so you can glance back and see what the last number of weeks were like. With depression, if we have a rough few days we can think that the last month was like that and in this case, telling your Dr that would be misleading. a diary might help keep a more accurate assessment. Just a simple 3-10 words a day which capture your mood or something.

In all cases, discuss increases/decreases with the person who is prescribing them.

The depression is really kicking my ass today. I just want to retreat to bed and sleep but I'm forced to keep a brave face on me.

I just don't see any end to this. I have literally nothing going on in my life expect going to work. I've gone so far past the point where I can change my life.

The depression is really kicking my ass today. I just want to retreat to bed and sleep but I'm forced to keep a brave face on me.

I just don't see any end to this. I have literally nothing going on in my life expect going to work. I've gone so far past the point where I can change my life.

Yes you can, and you said to me yesterday take baby steps. What part of your life would you like to change?

Hugo, life really can change any time, i was in a bad way up until my mid thirties, all the vices in play, not a stitch of self care, nothing but work really.. Out of nowhere i find a girl who likes me and do dbt and things have taken on a new colour i guess. It's not all rainbows by any stretch but life is more tolerable and at times enjoyable now. Stay with it man.

• Advertisement

Hugo, let me be honest with you. At times I find your posts frustrating because I know the potential you have. Yet you don't see it. I've met you. You are funny and engaging. You are well able to chat and be social.

I'll tell you what I do when depression rears it's head. I listen to myself when it comes to what I want. If staying in bed is calling then that's what I do. If I need to cry then I cry. Eat icecream, sleep, hide. That's what works for me. Other little things which helps is driving instead of getting the train. Sometimes I can't deal with all the strangers around me so I find comfort in jumping in the car. At no point do I berate myself for my choices because I know they help me.

Then I come out the other side. I always do. I'm so very lucky to have the ability to see all the positives in my life Hugo and I really believe that can help lift you out. Your family, your physical health, your talents. You have so much to hold on to. Don't let your life pass you by x

Advertisement