Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

Eagles1900 wrote: »
    hello,
    Can someone please list some of the best places in Dublin that help people who suffer from anxiety?
    Thank you very much!

Hello :)

There is a mental health centre on South William Street. I'm probably not supposed to mention names but anyway. They are Mind and Body Works. I've no personal experience of them myself but I know they have many therapists with lots of different specialities. Have a google and see what you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Awful anxiety since last night, same trigger as before. I don’t know if maybe the citalopram is helping as it hasn’t fallen into full blown panic like it did earlier this week but it’s still massively bad. I think I have 3 Valium left and I’m not sure it’s enough to get me through. I also am thinking my dose of citalopram will need to go up from 10mg for a while. The GP I normally see only does Tuesday and Thursday so if I go on Monday I don’t know who I might see and it might just make matters worse.

Don’t know if the GP can give me something stronger short term. I’m not sure I can function like this.

I was doing well until last night. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭Shpudnik

Feeling so **** this evening. Feeling really down and alone :(

Hope you are all doing ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Shpudnik wrote: »
    Feeling so **** this evening. Feeling really down and alone :(

Hope you are all doing ok.

Been that way for the past week or so, Shpudnik. 'Smothered with a dose'-as they say, have a really bad cold. (I think I got it worse than most, my bro and mom were out of it after a few days). Been sleeping in until 6pm, cos of cold medicines. Ughhh. I hate getting sick.

Went back to the Dr today. My anxiety has been through the roof and I’ve been having other side effects etc too. She has put my dose up and gave me something for the anxiety short term. Been off work yesterday and today because of it. The Dr has suggested taking a few more days off. I haven’t told anyone at work specifics about what’s wrong but I don’t know what to say if they ask what was wrong. I don’t want to tell them it’s anxiety and low mood. I might have to tell my manager but I don’t really want to tell anyone else, except with one or two exceptions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭RubyGlee

Anyone take setraline? Does it cause weight gain or affect concentration. I don’t want to take the pills but honestly afraid I’m goin to survive the next panic attract and diazepam is really addictive so I won’t take that. Couldn’t handle putting on weight and I need to be able to concentrate in work.
    Another thing is the doctor said if I take these I may have to put on a stabilizer as well as it can make the other side of things worse. Another night of no sleep here as well.

Similar cruddy day today-had to go in to sign on...I've never felt like such a burden on anyone before, but the last few months makes me feel like dead weight. Like, I'd love to just be working, even in a job I hate-but really I just want to be earning decent money, and paying people back for the help they gave me. But I have so little work experience, I'm up a creek.

It's frustrating-I could very well reach a stage where people are like 'you're too old to hire or train'...

Yeah, my day was sucky.

RubyGlee wrote: »
    Anyone take setraline? Does it cause weight gain or affect concentration. I don’t want to take the pills but honestly afraid I’m goin to survive the next panic attract and diazepam is really addictive so I won’t take that. Couldn’t handle putting on weight and I need to be able to concentrate in work.
    Another thing is the doctor said if I take these I may have to put on a stabilizer as well as it can make the other side of things worse. Another night of no sleep here as well.

I’m on citalopram but my Dr also gave me quetiapine for anxiety. It’s an antipsychotic but in a low dose is good for anxiety and it’s not addictive like Valium/diazepam.

veganrun wrote: »
    I’m on citalopram but my Dr also gave me quetiapine for anxiety. It’s an antipsychotic but in a low dose is good for anxiety and it’s not addictive like Valium/diazepam.

Is there anything you do apart from medication that helps with your anxiety veganrun?

Not really, tried CBT before but not sure it worked. Have been told about psychotherapy but again I'm not sure about that.

• Advertisement

Not really, tried CBT before but not sure it worked. Have been told about psychotherapy but again I'm not sure about that.

I know a little about health anxiety myself so can relate to some of your posts vegan. For me it´s always been a case of do I want to struggle with this for the rest of my life or do I want to throw every resource I have at it.

Life is too short to not try x

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Psychotherapy is brilliant,they basically bring you around to thinking more rational and understand that there's nothing really wrong with the way you think.
    They give you task's and help face fears.
    I had awful trouble with codependency and relationship break ups.....
    I went for around 800 euro's worth of therapy.
    80euros a session, but it worked.
    She sat down with me and listened to my story and struggle's.
    The light turned on when she asked me was there anything wrong with other people in society who break up with people and have fears like mine, basically I said no....bingo the chickens came home to roost.

Another friend of mine was bisexual and couldn't handle it, something similar awakened him when the psychotherapist asked her doe's she think all her happy gayand bi friends are sick or bad people,she said not at all.
    She answered her own dillema and like myself it stuck.
    It was kinda like being hypnotized inside out.
    It works if you're honest and upfront.Whatever you decide to do, I wish you luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Hey guys just checking in to see how everyone is doing.

I'm in a really bad place right now tbh. I'm struggling on just about every level a human can struggle. Physically I'm in a bad way with teeth and stomach problems, they're not extremely serious but they're constantly draining. Mentally trying to cope with a couple of crisis situations as well.

I'll check in again next week hopefully can turn the ship around a bit by then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Anyone here who's ever been on anti depressants, may I ask did you ever find that the any positive effects ever started to wear off? Over the years I've self medicated up and down like a yoyo (i.e. taking myself off them without consultation). I've been good now for a few months, religious almost, but I'm struggling to see how they're helping anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

jaxxx wrote: »
    Anyone here who's ever been on anti depressants, may I ask did you ever find that the any positive effects ever started to wear off? Over the years I've self medicated up and down like a yoyo (i.e. taking myself off them without consultation). I've been good now for a few months, religious almost, but I'm struggling to see how they're helping anymore.

I think it's virtually impossible to give an answer to this which can be used as a reference for you. If you have been adjusting dosages and self-medicating as you say, it is possible/probable that you have not allowed your body to get in to sync with the meds and then for you to see the impact on your symptoms. I not saying that being judgemental or harsh but stating it as I see it.
    What you have been doing has been like trying to balance the wheels of a car by hitting them with a sledgehammer, while the car is been driven as opposed to getting it done by a professional, in the correct manner.

You do say that you've been good for a couple of months so well done on that.

Speak to the professional who prescribed them and explain to them your recent experience. They may suggest tailing off on the meds if your form is good or adjusting upwards or introducing new meds if your form is bad but they must be the ones to make the decision in consultation with yourself. And then you must follow their instruction.

jaxxx wrote: »

Yeah, I've had that experience. You do get this sort of 'oh wow, it's amazing'...and then it sort of tapers off a little (your serotonin is balancing out). But not in a 'this doesn't work anymore' which did happen to me with a herbal anti-depressant (no, not drugs, it was kava kava, or St John's wort-it worked for a while, but after a few weeks, it didn't).
    After that, actual anti-depressants gave me a more sustained 'normal'. I mean, I can distinctly remember being in a pit where I had stomach problems, sick stomachs, and so on for years, because of depression. (Even during my teen years).
    I'm not saying 'medication made me better'-it didn't. But it made me want to be better. To work on it, at least.
    Though there have been times when I'm pretty awful-to others I mean. And that's tough, because I don't want to be, and also I always wonder if that was me or the disease speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭alanzo27

I've been feeling miserable the past few weeks. I have just dropped out of a Level 6 course in Computer Systems and Networks. From day 1 I knew I was going to breakdown. The teaching styles where I was attending did not suit at all and went extremely fast. The attitude from the instructors was that if I didn't succeed then I would not have a job (Not directly towards me but just made me feel ****) and that I would need to basically memorise everything by heart and be able to do tasks instantly. I was put off by the whole thing and made me feel like a failure. I went to the counsellor and had a chat but I just could not continue in that environment. It was all theory based and any question that was asked was given the response of "You didn't read the chapter" or "You're not doing your work". There was no sense of encouragement and basically adhered to the brightest students. I struggle with learning and find it very difficult to memorise evrn simple concepts but enjoy it at my own pace. It was so demotivating and I really felt like giving up altogether. I am nearly 25 and have never had a job. I have been doing courses since leaving school and when I completed my Level 5 in June I felt like I was finally getting somewhere, only to be put down again. I have been applying everywhere for any sort of job. I just feel so useless. I should be working and I have been trying my very best but I still can't gain any sort of employment. Sorry for this long rant but I just had to get it off my chest. Maybe I'm overanalysing again but I just feel terrible. I went to my doctor and am on a list for therapy. I just have to try and gain control again and take it a day at a time.

Came back to the city earlier today after spending the last week at home. Been back on the antidepressants just over 2 weeks now, the Dr increased the dose earlier in the week. I guess I’m doing a bit better but still feeling a bit down and still not back to eating properly.

Kind of thinking of moving home permanently. Really not sure what to do, feeling a bit lost. I keep thinking back to the summer and how things seemed better then. Had I just stayed on the medication I feel I wouldn’t have had this rough spell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

Sorry to read of those having problems here. I've been there and can tell you it passes for most people.
    Long term user of SSRI and began reducing them two months ago by about 2.5 mg each two weeks - was at 40 mg. now at 25mg and little or no withdrawl effects so far. THIS IS NOT A RECOMMENDATION FOR OTHERS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

alanzo27 wrote: »
    I've been feeling miserable the past few weeks. I have just dropped out of a Level 6 course in Computer Systems and Networks. I struggle with learning and find it very difficult to memorise evrn simple concepts but enjoy it at my own pace. I just have to try and gain control again and take it a day at a time.

You can do it at your own pace or at least keep involved while you are figuring things out. I'm of advanced age but continually find great learning material free on the net. Keep at it and get through one day at a time. Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Open Letter to my partner
    Anxiety and depression sufferer..any out there feel similar?

Give me something to hold on to, to hope for.
    Are you waiting for me to rediscover/ find myself?
    Can you still see me? The person you fell in love with?
    I seem to only detect frustration/ disappointment even disgust. On good days when I'm playing ball and acting like u expect, you seem fond and affectionate. But mostly you just seem to work at managing your own disappointment at my not meeting expectations so you go to the gym, work, meet the lads and try to expect nothing from me... which is as much of a cop out as dad saying hes not responsible for anyone elses feelings.
    It's like being an add on to a life..one that can be safely discarded if it doesn't work out.
    Do u ask who you are for me? Has your role changed? Should it? Can it? Is life as it is right now full enough? Do you have a part to play in that?
    Speaking in fairness terms and what's expected and what else can I do? If u want a vanilla life, so be it.

I miss you, I miss sex and the awkwardness of elbowing you at the wrong time and us laughing about it. I miss u thinking my anatomy is complicated and wonderful. I feel flaccid, ungainly, unsure and particularly shyly virginal. I wonder if I have to pretend to be Mata Hari for u to fancy me. I am awkward and uncomfortable and feel both turned on but gross. What to do!!? Mostly I feel alone and punished for not being as strong as advertised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Hope ye're all doing OK there today. x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

I feel that I've become too dependant on this thread as as forum for ranting. I haven't been using it in a productive manner whatsoever. I've been on an increasing spiral of late, there's no hope of me using this thread in a constructive way, so I've decided to make tracks for the foreseeable future.

Best of luck to you all, and take care.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I'm exhausted, very stressed and anxious the last week, sleep almost non-existent, not a thing i can think of that may have brought it on.. hink a bit of time way from technology during the week is on the cards.

Hugo, everyone comes here to vent at times, you are one of the most supportive posters here imo. I hope you can come back some time..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭7 Seconds...

I feel that I've become too dependant on this thread as as forum for ranting. I haven't been using it in a productive manner whatsoever. I've been on an increasing spiral of late, there's no hope of me using this thread in a constructive way, so I've decided to make tracks for the foreseeable future.

Best of luck to you all, and take care.

I would rather see you rant on here, than bottle up how your are feeling. To me ranting on here is actually a positive step, a way of letting go and getting stuff of your chest instead of holding on to it and letting it fester, I too am very guilty of using the thread as rant away avenue more than anything else. Don't be so hard on yourself. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭RubyGlee

It sucks to see so many going through a bad time. I’m doing my best to hold it all together verging between the panicky stage and the dark stage. Work is actually being a good distraction but I’m so very tired I jus wish I could sleep.
    One day at a time. Hold it together for work. Hold it together for my daughter. I’l have to
    Leave the house Thursday I can make it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭jsms88

Whew.... awake since 4 and quite anxious. Not sure what has brought it on as I’ve been fairly good and happy for a few weeks now. Wish time would hurry up so I can get up. I hate just lying in bed thinking about all the bad things that could happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Do what works best for you Hugo. If that's posting or not posting but if you do withdraw, please don't do so because you think there's no point trying to release some steam by venting.

See you when you're ready to post again. Look after yourself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Has anyone else any experience of sudden discontinuation of Mirtazapine (30mg) or any other tetracyclic (as opposed to SSRI) antidepressants? I had to unfortunately stop taking the medication cold turkey about a week ago due to circumstances and I'm honestly not sure I've ever felt this bad in my life. Physically all sorts of symptoms - dizziness, weight loss, nausea, vomiting, shaking, muscle spasms. Not eating very well lately either which may be contributing.

Anyway hope everyone is doing ok in here.

Advertisement