Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,038 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Found a food diary helped me control what I was eating before but only when I was sharing it with someone.
    Could you pick a treat and then reward yourself with that last thing at night if you're happy with how that day went.

It ain't easy. I'll give you that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Found a food diary helped me control what I was eating before but only when I was sharing it with someone.
    Could you pick a treat and then reward yourself with that last thing at night if you're happy with how that day went.

It ain't easy. I'll give you that.

Sounds like a good idea. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

Has anyone got some kind of therapy to help with binge eating and did it work?
    While it's not a particular issue I have experienced I think where there is any kind of habit or even with issues of addiction is to try to identify other alternative healthy positive behaviours and try replace it with that instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bridgettedon

Shint0 wrote: »
    While it's not a particular issue I have experienced I think where there is any kind of habit or even with issues of addiction is to try to identify other alternative healthy positive behaviours and try replace it with that instead.

I know you are right but getting the motivation to get outside the house these last few days has been hard. I just didn't want to meet anyone. I didn't want to see anyone. I couldn't even go for a walk. I just found I was focusing all my attention on food from the moment I got up. Every weekend is the same. I overeat and put on weight that I try to shift during the week. Feel fat and very ugly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

I used to have almost the opposite problem in that a lot of times I would forget to eat and cooking was almost a chore. When I was previously severely depressed the first thing to go would be my appetite. Then I discovered a whole world of food and started experimenting with all types of flavours and spices and making really tasty but healthy food rather than just relying on convenience food or something quick but not so healthy to fill a gap in my stomach. This change of approach has really worked for me and now I really enjoy food while keeping it healthy.

I feel so toxic. :(

I feel so toxic.

Yes but it isn't true Hugo. At all.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

You are not your thoughts Hugo..

• Advertisement

Thanks, yes. I know I'll feel better in the morning and I have an extremely tough week ahead, my chest still feels tight but I plan to take a really good break next week and look after myself.

The worst thing about binge eating compared to other addictions is that you can quit substances but you can't quit food.

I think a journal is a good idea as long as it doesn't become obsessive, you may not be able to stop binging at first, you may want to aim to lessen the frequency of them, journal about what triggers them and when you're ready along with healthy alternatives (like meditating, breathing exercises, grounding techniques) see what actually happens when you get the urge to binge but don't, what it is is a coping mechanism and you can build better ones with time...but that is like a long way down the road, before you overcome binging I think you need to stabilise your life and mental health as much as possible, its like building blocks, most importantly improve how you feel about yourself first and then the food not try and fix the food without fixing how you feel about you...Good luck bridgettedon as always I think if counseling works for you go for it!

Thanks for the post. I vaguely know what triggers it. But it is something that will take time to explore. I'm hoping a counsellor will help me. I think I comfort eat when I feel rejected or unattractive. Leading into a cycle. The more I eat, the worse I feel. I look at instagram and see people transform their bodies from 'fat' to fit. I can't seem to get the motivation. Instead I spend my time looking at their pics instead of doing some exercise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Not true at all. You're far from it.

I feel so toxic.

Yes but it isn't true Hugo. At all.

You are not your thoughts Hugo..

History keeps on repeating itself though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Until one day it doesn't Hugo, as far away as it may seem, things can and do turn out differently

History keeps on repeating itself though.

Until one day it doesn't Hugo, as far away as it may seem, things can and do turn out differently

Gremlinertia is right Hugh. Tomorrow could be that day. I know it feels unlikely. But it might.

• Advertisement

It's amazing how many different types of issues with eating there are and how different they can be but it sounds like you changed the way you *think* about food which is great.

Have real issues around food too. It's both the enemy and great friend.
    Haven't managed to break the cycle yet.
    Feel crap, binge eat, feel worse. Dunno if how to stop.

Gremlinertia is right Hugh. Tomorrow could be that day. I know it feels unlikely. But it might.[/quote]

I don't know how to be anything else.

Its an awful thing to struggle with and so complex, have you ever gotten help for it?

Not for the eating issues alone no.
    Something may well look into.
    A lot of well most of my confidence issues are down to my weight.

I have lost weight in the past. ...Once going to the other extreme of being too thin. Couldn't and can't find a happy medium.

I know though when I was slimmer....walking and swimming I felt better in myself. It's just starting.
    And the constant battle with will power.

La.de.da wrote: »

Me too, sweetie. :(

I find that people judge the **** out of me for it, and disrespect and disregard me instantly too.

• Advertisement

La.de.da wrote: »
    Not for the eating issues alone no.
    Something may well look into.

I have lost weight in the past. ...Once going to the other extreme of being too thin. Couldn't and can't find a happy medium.

I know though when I was slimmer....walking and swimming I felt better in myself. It's just starting.
    And the constant battle with will power.

Sometimes the motivation just isn't there. I know when I'm being lazy and just don't have the ability to do something. Try not to be hard on yourself. I know it will be of benefit for me to get some exercise but there is something that is stopping me. It's more than laziness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Appointment tomorrow for counselling. Hope to God I get it.

I'm not hopeful given the doctor who has to put me forward for it is fond of handing out prescriptions instead of referrals.

Out of everyone I have spoken to, I have yet to come across one who he has referred for counselling of some description, he only ever wants to write prescriptions as in his "professional" opinion medication is the answer to all life's problems.

It's all about how you get on with with your counsellor now, he's out of the process so you don't need to worry about him now.

It's all about how you get on with with your counsellor now, he's out of the process so you don't need to worry about him now.
    Was this a reply to my post? I'm not sure but I'll answer just in case :o

I haven't got a counsellor as my appointment tomorrow is for me to speak with another doctor who has to authorise the referrals to the counsellor, and so far, he hasn't authorised a referral for me/put me forward for it. I hope tomorrow is the day that he puts me forward for it.

Was this a reply to my post? I'm not sure but I'll answer just in case :o

I haven't got a counsellor as my appointment tomorrow is for me to speak with another doctor who has to authorise the referrals to the counsellor, and so far, he hasn't authorised a referral for me/put me forward for it. I hope tomorrow is the day that he puts me forward for it.

Ah i misunderstood, well fingers crossed for you so.. If it doesn't work out perhaps a chat with a different doctor?.

Ah i misunderstood, well fingers crossed for you so.. If it doesn't work out perhaps a chat with a different doctor?.
    Heh no worries :) Thanks, hopefully it does work out :)

There's no other doctor who does HSE referrals unfortunately.

Tomorrow's appointment will be my fifth with this particular GP, not referring patients is a huge complaint many people have with him, he rarely gives referrals. :(

That's a difficult situation to be in, well, at least you have persistence on your side, well done on keeping at it :)

Hope it goes well, Boxers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Has anyone got some kind of therapy to help with binge eating and did it work?

Binge eating disorder is one of my many diagnoses. I've talked about it with various counsellors/my psych/other MH professionals but I've never had proper therapy just for it. I've always had too much extra stuff that was more pressing to be worked on. My psych did prescribe me a book called Overcoming Binge Eating by Andrew Wakefield, which is really good. I just haven't been to great at sticking to the plans in it. I actually don't even know where my copy is, need to go dig it out.

Stripedboxers, I really hope you get that referral!

• Advertisement

I'm hugely embarrassed about my internet interactions the last few nights. I've made an absolute show of myself with my demented paranoia and suspected rejection issues. :o

Aw don't worry about it Hugo. We are all in the same boat. Sometimes things just hits us in waves and it all comes out. Sure I have no filter on my brain at all :D

Aw don't worry about it Hugo. We are all in the same boat. Sometimes things just hits us in waves and it all comes out. Sure I have no filter on my brain at all :D

My behaviour is so destructive to my relationships. Often saying sorry is just not enough to repair the damage.

I have a filter but the timer setting is a bit wonky. I can't find the manual for it either!

My behaviour is so destructive to my relationships. Often saying sorry is just not enough to repair the damage.
    I do understand that all joking aside. I suppose the first step is to try to accept ourselves as we are and to hell with everyone else. I think that's half the battle but it ain't easy that's for sure. Look how many people make complete prats of themselves when they're drunk at the weekend but then everyone has forgotten about it the following week. So just hold the head up and carry on.

I do understand that all joking aside. I suppose the first step is to try to accept ourselves as we are and to hell with everyone else. I think that's half the battle but it ain't easy that's for sure. Look how many people make complete prats of themselves when they're drunk at the weekend but then everyone has forgotten about it the following week. So just hold the head up and carry on.

That's a great attitude to have! :)

Ya I just need to apply it to myself first. Then I'll be home and dry.

Ya I just need to apply it to myself first. Then I'll be home and dry.

You can do it! Then I'll copy ya! :D

Well I just need to swalla the medicine first....but oh no wait....they won't give me any. Apparently, "there's no medication that can fix YOUR problems" is what I was told. C'est la vie!

Well I just need to swalla the medicine first....but oh no wait....they won't give me any. Apparently, "there's no medication that can fix YOUR problems" is what I was told. C'est la vie!

Seriously? :(

• Advertisement

Well there was a professional disagreement about the outcome of my ADHD assessment not so long ago. One mental health professional disagreed and said the team conducting the assessment got it gone and was shocked how they did not diagnose me with it as he had a lot of experience working with ADHD and voiced his opinions to the consultant that I had been assigned to. Rather than actually challenge her colleagues about the outcome she completely tried to turn the issue on its head and proceeded to tell me that I, myself am the problem, that there is no medication that can FIX me and clearly I must have felt REJECTED as a child. The other collegue who advocated on my behalf just sat there speechlesss in shock in the meeting clearly disgusted. He realised I clearly needed ADHD meds but his hands were tied.

So finally after figuring out my whole life the missing piece of the jigsaw and also clearly undiagnosed throughout my family I was sent on my merry way. Bottom line is don't ever try to get assessed in Ireland for ADHD as an adult. You won't be entertained which makes the whole concept of having an adult adhd assesssment unit completely pointless. I had already been told that by a few different sources before the assessment so I wasn't surprised. Taking lithium for 15 years was also pointless I was told as clearly it was ME that was the problem. Just lovely!!

Well there was a professional disagreement about the outcome of my ADHD assessment not so long ago. One mental health professional disagreed and said the team conducting the assessment got it gone and was shocked how they did not diagnose me with it as he had a lot of experience working with ADHD and voiced his opinions to the consultant that I had been assigned to. Rather than actually challenge her colleagues about the outcome she completely tried to turn the issue on its head and proceeded to tell me that I, myself am the problem, that there is no medication that can FIX me and clearly I must have felt REJECTED as a child. The other collegue who advocated on my behalf just sat there speechlesss in shock in the meeting clearly disgusted. He realised I clearly needed ADHD meds but his hands were tied.

So finally after figuring out my whole life the missing piece of the jigsaw and also clearly undiagnosed throughout my family I was sent on my merry way. Bottom line is don't ever try to get assessed in Ireland for ADHD as an adult. You won't be entertained which makes the whole concept of having an adult adhd assesssment unit completely pointless. I had already been told that by a few different sources before the assessment so I wasn't surprised. Taking lithium for 15 years was also pointless I was told as clearly it was ME that was the problem. Just lovely!!

I'm so sorry that you had to go through that. :(

I'm so sorry that you had to go through that. :(

I came out of that meeting feeling almost suicidal, completely hopeless and I hadn't had suicidal thoughts in years. Some mental health professionals can actually do more harm than good and don't always act within the best interests of patients. Not exactly ethical.

I came out of that meeting feeling almost suicidal, completely hopeless and I hadn't had suicidal thoughts in years. Some mental health professionals can actually do more harm than good and don't always act within the best interests of patients. Not exactly ethical.

That's so rough. :(

Thanks Hugo. Yes it is rough but I'm big and bold enough now to know that sometimes there aren't any fairytale endings and you just got to roll with the punches.

Thanks Hugo. Yes it is rough but I'm big and bold enough now to know that sometimes there aren't any fairytale endings and you just got to roll with the punches.

There should be other options. Nobody should just be left to suffer.

• Advertisement

The unfortunate truth is sometimes you come up against a wall with treatments and/or diagnosis, it has happened me a couple of times and has taken the wind out of my sails and sent me into major depressive funks. When i get tired of that phase then i go back to gp and try to discuss another way of doing things/a different type of specialist to see. The 14th anniversary of my original injury was a few days ago and i'm still struggling to do anything to prevent short or long term relief..

The unfortunate truth is sometimes you come up against a wall with treatments and/or diagnosis, it has happened me a couple of times and has taken the wind out of my sails and sent me into major depressive funks. When i get tired of that phase then i go back to gp and try to discuss another way of doing things/a different type of specialist to see. The 14th anniversary of my original injury was a few days ago and i'm still struggling to do anything to prevent short or long term relief..

What a horrible thing to be dealing with something from that long ago every day.
    Unfortunately, one anniversary you always remember I bet.

Sorry to hear that, Grem.

These depressive funks are contagious it seems.

I hope your mind gets some peace there.

It's many years ago, so i've become kinda used to it, but fairly tired all the same.. Another procedure now booked, another wait for it to come through. How are you doing guys?.

It's many years ago, so i've become kinda used to it, but fairly tired all the same.. Another procedure now booked, another wait for it to come through. How are you doing guys?.

Hopefully it'll be a short wait.

Bit funky this evening. Ruminating like crazy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement