Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Dragons

Having a hard time mentally lately, mind is working against me, paranoia and irrational thoughts and fear.. Anniversaries around now too. Ugh.
    Sorry to hear you guys are having problems too. I want to blame the time of yeah..

This time of year is the worst!
    Sending my best wishes for you to feel a bit better.

I was stuck in my head today,
    All the what ifs and worries going in circles so i brought the dog out for a walk.

She got off her lead and ran off and ive spent an hour and a half chasing her through fields!

Only just caught her and realised the whole time i was chasing her i wasnt worrying about anything else.

Shes a little brat but she snapped me out of my bad train of thought.

Im now buying her a hot dog to say thanks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Are I would love to have a pet again, that story made me laugh as my little fluff ball used to do similar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Yeah I'm blaming the time of the year too!

Another medication increase this morning. (have already had two very small increases the last month rather than jumping to a too high dose)
    Trying to find the sweet spot dose.

Like others said the racing thoughts, paranoia and low mood..... It's exhausting so it is.

I actually think i started a down turn as the weather changed too.

A nice sunny day to go out and explore would be great right now.

Get yourself a nice little lizard,a gecko with lovely big eyes or a lil dragon.

Easy to look after and they dont bite the neighbours or xhew through their leads like this lil @#$%.

Im in for a dose/medication change tomorrow now too.

So horrible being stuck in your own head sometimes.low moods are poo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Well...Yesterday was a mess.

So, the 6th was my birthday (please, please don't say happy birthday. Thanks). I spent it in bed. Haven't done that on a birthday since that time I had the flu. I didn't get up until the 7th. I feel pretty sh***y about it. I got up at 1am, that night/morning...to find a box of chocolates next to my chair.
    I had a chat with my mom and brother for a bit. I think the weather was so crap that it didn't make too much difference where I was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭TresGats

I really hate early december. Parents birthdays & Anniversaries also.
    I just got put on Zispin 15mg last week and feel in a bit of a haze. 1st time on this one.
    I am also suffering from a bad flare up of "Chronic Idiopathic Urticaria with Angiodema" - basically means I am covered head to toe (apart from face thankfully) in red hives/ weals that are unbelievably "burny' & itchy", so the anti-histamine treatment (more sleepy) and the fact that I cannot wear anything any way tight on the skin (underwear) and could only go out in Track suit bottoms and a cotton sweatshirt dosen't really make we want to go fetch the groceries today. Even thinking about going to the shops makes my skin redder. Also just came off Lyrica last week as i believe it caused the chronic urticaria, feels like my nerve endings are burning. Oh to just even be comfortable & the right temperature- Im roasting in a vest with no heating on.

I am sick of moaning to friends/ relatives, so I thought I'd moan here instead?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Always rant here, it's great to put it out into the ether but know people are reading and understand

TresGats wrote: »
    I really hate early december. Parents birthdays & Anniversaries also.
    I just got put on Zispin 15mg last week and feel in a bit of a haze. 1st time on this one.
    I am also suffering from a bad flare up of "Chronic Idiopathic Urticaria with Angiodema" - basically means I am covered head to toe (apart from face thankfully) in red hives/ weals that are unbelievably "burny' & itchy", so the anti-histamine treatment (more sleepy) and the fact that I cannot wear anything any way tight on the skin (underwear) and could only go out in Track suit bottoms and a cotton sweatshirt dosen't really make we want to go fetch the groceries today. Even thinking about going to the shops makes my skin redder. Also just came off Lyrica last week as i believe it caused the chronic urticaria, feels like my nerve endings are burning. Oh to just even be comfortable & the right temperature- Im roasting in a vest with no heating on.

I am sick of moaning to friends/ relatives, so I thought I'd moan here instead?

Moan away-it's fine. I do wish this place gave more advise tho, but they can't be counsellors, really. And it's just my preference really. Also, ditto the anniversaries and birthdays-though mostly my own. November it's a mix of anniversaries, and deaths-my late-grandmother used to call November the month of deaths-she wasn't wrong, seems like everyone dies in that month.

Getting medication right can be a nightmare. I remember when I was put on meds, the second time, they made me incredibly sleepy. I could nod off in a chair without notice. I found that I was lacking in vitamins and minerals (went to doctor) so went on a multivitamin as well. It was bizarre, same meds, and the first time I went on them, no issue like that.
    Going on meds can be like a marathon tbh-sometimes you're hazy, other times you're just...cloudy. And then it takes a while for them (And us) to adjust.

Is there anything you can do for the heat and burning? Like bath salts or something?

Wopper of a big day today.
    Family event.
    Head consultant.
    Counciling.

Absolutely wrecked tired with an impossible decision to make

As i only got panic attacks after starting the wrong meds and now these ones too,ive been asked to deside if i want to try another one for better results or just try going off to see if i return to my base level after side effects are gone.

Head is mashed!

Anyone know how much a ct scan costs???ive been told to get one

Dragons wrote: »
    Wopper of a big day today.
    Family event.
    Head consultant.
    Counciling.

Absolutely wrecked tired with an impossible decision to make

As i only got panic attacks after starting the wrong meds and now these ones too,ive been asked to deside if i want to try another one for better results or just try going off to see if i return to my base level after side effects are gone.

Head is mashed!

Anyone know how much a ct scan costs???ive been told to get one

Anywhere from 195 euros upwards for ct scan, tho depends on insurance too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jrop

TresGats are you taking Zispin just before bed ?

Yeah , I am, about 10pm, I'm still sedated today at 2pm.
    My Hives are clearing up! But i've got a bathroom issue now- tmi? fml!
    Thanks though, for all the feedback, i feel a bit better today, and I'm back seeing the psych on tuesday to see how i got on with zispin.

Has anyone else tried mirtazapine for anxiety?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Not me Dragons. Have you started it? What does your Dr say about it?

Hi, Mirtazapine is the medical name for the brand named Zispin. I started on it nearly 2 weeks ago, side effects i've noticed are feeling tired (but its not so bad) , initially for about 4 days i felt pure numb, hard to describe, but it went after a few days.
    I've been on lots of other anti-d's over the years, and I think Mirtazapine is one of the better ones for sure in my exp anyway. My psych started me on 15mg.
    I also take a low dose of clonazepam daily, and have not had any bad panicky moments (well, one!) in 2 weeks so thats good going for me. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭bobsman

Hi, I take Effexor (Venlafaxine) for anxiety. My psych considers it the best for anxiety disorders but that's his opinion :). Zispin was almost suggested to me as I have issues with sleep too and I have heard very positive things about it.

As with all of these meds, it takes time to kick in. Hope you doing okay x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭miketheDIYman

I have just started sessions of CBT as I am tired taking different meds - maybe if I can manage challenging my negative thoughts I might just get on top of this vicious cycle - I understand how I am catastrophising - just need to learn how to replace negative outcomes with positive ones - seems simple in theory but hope I can get my head around it

I have just started sessions of CBT as I am tired taking different meds - maybe if I can manage challenging my negative thoughts I might just get on top of this vicious cycle - I understand how I am catastrophising - just need to learn how to replace negative outcomes with positive ones - seems simple in theory but hope I can get my head around it

Many years on medications then i did a year of DBT which is similar to CBT. It did a lot for me but i felt annoyed a lot because i was learning things i felt should have been obvious to me.. Not the fault of the therapy of course, just my guilt and shame.

TresGats wrote: »
    Yeah , I am, about 10pm, I'm still sedated today at 2pm.
    My Hives are clearing up! But i've got a bathroom issue now- tmi? fml!
    Thanks though, for all the feedback, i feel a bit better today, and I'm back seeing the psych on tuesday to see how i got on with zispin.

Scroll up-I had the bathroom thing too...or a different one. Mine seems to be brought on by bad stress.
    Or major worries. The strange thing is, when I talk about it, in open, it lessens. It's like keeping it a secret makes it worse.

So talk about it-a problem share and all that.

Not me Dragons. Have you started it? What does your Dr say about it?

Im on my 5th week of it now.taking 30mgs

its brilliant for getting you eating and sleeping so if you have nausia or insomnia it will work great.

No matter what kind of day you have you know your gonna pass out when you get to bed.

I took it at night so an hour after taking it you get serious munchies for sugary foods.if anyine lost weight from being on meds that didnt suit them then this will help fatten you back up no problem.

A full proper 8 hour sleep guaranteed.

im having issues with it though.just like always,5 weeks in and boom.thats just me though.

Ive just always been very over sensetive to any meds though.seems its just the way im made.
    took a solpadene before and was bombed out of it for the night!
    Had 2 cups of coffee in work before and near got palpitations lol

They said my anxiety could be medical so getting ct scan done next week to find out more

Thats the last type of all anti meds now. ive tried them all so if it doesnt work im doing some serious cbt and counciling.

I hope everyone else is doing well today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭bobsman

Hope this one works out for you Dragon. I messed around with a few before Effexor and thankfully, this is working out. However, I do need to take the odd sleeping tablet x

Welp, anxiety is going mad again-puppy chewed through my mouse cable, while I was eating dinner, and now a veneer I had recemented yesterday feels loose.
    I have this weird 'lost all his teeth' phobia, tbh. I've had a couple of extractions in my time (gum infection, wisdom teeth, and an extraction or two to fix crooked teeth)-and even getting to and from a dentist can be tough, due to having to make travel arrangements.
    Anyone got experience with loose veneers-how did the dentist/ orthodontist or whatever fix it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Thats the last type of all anti meds now. ive tried them all so if it doesnt work im doing some serious cbt and counciling.

Well, glad to hear you had a positive experience.
    Several here have been on meds for a long time and plenty, me included, took a long time before finding the right mix.

If you have consistently have had a problem with different meds after 5 weeks, it might be a mental block or perception which you have. I'm saying might, obviously, not guaranteed but it would be strange that different meds would behave the same way.

Welp, anxiety is going mad again-puppy chewed through my mouse cable, while I was eating dinner, and now a veneer I had recemented yesterday feels loose.
    I have this weird 'lost all his teeth' phobia, tbh. I've had a couple of extractions in my time (gum infection, wisdom teeth, and an extraction or two to fix crooked teeth)-and even getting to and from a dentist can be tough, due to having to make travel arrangements.
    Anyone got experience with loose veneers-how did the dentist/ orthodontist or whatever fix it?

Every time i go to dentist i'm freaked out for a time after thinking at least one of my teeth is broken or loose.. To give your mind peace if it still feels like that monday morning give the dentist a call.. More likely though it'll feel fine.. Bloody anxiety can make me believe/think the strangest things

Every time i go to dentist i'm freaked out for a time after thinking at least one of my teeth is broken or loose.. To give your mind peace if it still feels like that monday morning give the dentist a call.. More likely though it'll feel fine.. Bloody anxiety can make me believe/think the strangest things

Yeah, I left a message-even if it's all in my head, or the 'cement' hasn't set yet (yeah, I'm not a dentist).
    It felt a bit strange afterwards-but that often happens due to sensitivity from bonding, even the first time I got em done. And the cold weather was mental too-so I put it down to that.
    But today, it didn't feel right, still. It's like I can 'push it out when I bite, and feel it going back when I put my finger on it. He mentioned a crown before-hope not, I can't really afford it, saving up for therapy after all.

Well, glad to hear you had a positive experience.
    Several here have been on meds for a long time and plenty, me included, took a long time before finding the right mix.

If you have consistently have had a problem with different meds after 5 weeks, it might be a mental block or perception which you have. I'm saying might, obviously, not guaranteed but it would be strange that different meds would behave the same way.

Do you mean i could be mentally blocking myself ftom showing improvements?

I was 100% that these were the "one" that was going to help me for the first 2 _3 weeks.
    I dont want to say exactly what because i dont want to put anyone off but lets say things took a slide and havnt improved so then doubt set in.

I dont know how long is normal to see any change.just at 5 weeks i was hoping for something of an upturn however small.

Hope it works out well for you Rabble

Dragons maybe it's time for doc to adjust level of medication?. It's a drawn out process of finding what works for you initially and then the dosage..

Do you mean i could be mentally blocking myself ftom showing improvements?

I was 100% that these were the "one" that was going to help me for the first 2 _3 weeks.
    I dont want to say exactly what because i dont want to put anyone off but lets say things took a slide and havnt improved so then doubt set in.

I dont know how long is normal to see any change.just at 5 weeks i was hoping for something of an upturn however small.

Dragons medication can be a wonderful tool but for many that's what it is, a tool. It would be no harm to not assume it's going to be a miracle "cure" :) Maybe have a look at talking therapies and practical ways to work on your anxiety. Of course continue to take your medication under your doctors supervision. That's important.

Dragons medication can be a wonderful tool but for many that's what it is, a tool. It would be no harm to not assume it's going to be a miracle "cure" :) Maybe have a look at talking therapies and practical ways to work on your anxiety. Of course continue to take your medication under your doctors supervision. That's important.

I am doing counciling every week.im out walking everyday and eating lots of fruit(when i can eat).trying to keep my head busy.hypnosis too.

Everything just seems to be a huge conflict.

My councilor told me to stop the meds.i only got put on for migrane relief.
    I didnt have any anxiety disorder at this stage.
    He said if i get through withdrawal il get back to myself.

got panic attacks from first med but was told to keep taking them till i got sent to hospital and doc said it was severe side effects to stop immediately.

Withdrawal sent me to psych ward.

i had 2 weeks of being anxious but myself and now in the space of weeks i havnt had a full panic attack but a constant 90% high alert anxiety.have had to walk out of shops and avoid situations.that is just not me.

Now for first time ever intrusive thoughts or obsessive thinking.just a general sense that things seem off.

My gp has no idea what to do.said if i stop meds its 50/50
    I could get back to myself but im 5 weeks in now so still hoping i get some good from them.

Psychiatrist sending me for head scan as thinks some medical condition is stopping meds from helping too.

Just dont know what to think sometimes.

Sorry for ranting about it all.

Its just mad that 2 months ago i was grand but getting migranes and now ive anxiety disorders and out of work.

Id just like to get back working and take some control.

• Advertisement

Can I ask if you first attended a counsellor for an mental health issue unrelated to anxiety?

Advertisement