Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Dragons

Can I ask if you first attended a counsellor for an mental health issue unrelated to anxiety?

I only started going because of the panic attacks i was getting after starting the medication.i have a stressful job but really like the hustel and bustle of it. Have kids and a girlfriend.all good loving relationships.we are grasping at straws in therapy as to find the "stressor" in my life.i know i do have some issues but generally can handle everything with ease.i couldnt eat or sleep for those first five weeks on the med.

Dragons wrote: »
    I only started going because of the panic attacks i was getting after starting the medication.i have a stressful job but really like the hustel and bustle of it. Have kids and a girlfriend.all good loving relationships.we are grasping at straws in therapy as to find the "stressor" in my life.i know i do have some issues but generally can handle everything with ease.i couldnt eat or sleep for those first five weeks on the med.

Are you saying that the medication began because you started experiencing anxiety which was completely out of the blue?

Are you saying that the medication began because you started experiencing anxiety which was completely out of the blue?

I got a very bad migrane.then a while later i got another one.very bad in bed for 2 days.
    Doc gave me migrane tablets and said a low dose ssri could help stop getting them.so started ssri,panic attacks,insomnia,weight loss.
    Went in for weeks.

When i was eventually told to stop taking them by another doctor i had started counciling to see if there was something else i could do to stop having them.

Havnt had a migrane since

I got a very bad migrane.then a while later i got another one.very bad in bed for 2 days.
    Doc gave me migrane tablets and said a low dose ssri could help stop getting them.so started ssri,panic attacks,insomnia,weight loss.
    Went in for weeks.

When i was eventually told to stop taking them by another doctor i had started counciling to see if there was something else i could do to stop having them.

Your doctor prescribed a low dose SSRI to help with your migraines and then you started to experience panic attacks etc. The counselling is to help deal with these symptoms which the drugs May have caused?

Hmm.

• Advertisement

Your doctor prescribed a low dose SSRI to help with your migraines and then you started to experience panic attacks etc. The counselling is to help deal with these symptoms which the drugs May have caused?

Hmm.

Yes i only started going when this all happened

I had stressful things going on in my life a few months prior to this but no lingering anxiety affecting anything or panic attacks.

Yes i only started going when this all happened

I had stressful things going on in my life a few months prior to this but no lingering anxiety affecting anything or panic attacks.

I have two another questions :)

What do you feel is behind all of this?
    Were you doing well mentally before starting on the SSRI'S?

I have two another questions :)

What do you feel is behind all of this?
    Were you doing well mentally before starting on the SSRI'S?

I dont know,i really dont.
    Its like taking it just opened up the flood gates and made me so over sensitive to stress.

I cant think of anything specific,stuff happened months ago but i seemed to be ok dealing with it.it wasnt effecting my life anyway.
    i got panic attacks and now im just always anxious.keeps getting worse.

My councilor and some family members are positive i should just try get off the meds and see if i even out.

Im just hoping for some positive results to start soon.i know its rediculous thinking il go back to "normal" if i get off them as its just too much of a quick fix so im taking them.

Either i just cant take anti anxiety meds because of bad side effects or there was a huge amount of stuff in my past i hadnt dealt with and i just opened up the can of worms

Has anyone heard about DR R E Freedman?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Has anyone heard about DR R E Freedman?

Dragons, this is a very supportive place with people with a lot of experience and understanding. But few answers. Because there are no definitive answers when it comes to A&D.

I suggest though to try to limit searching for answers/instructions on the internet.

Dr Google will convince you you have terminal cancer within a few clicks.

We all look for information but professional guidance must be to the forefront of any treatment plan.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Dragons, you are doing the best you can. Counselling and doctor is the way. Google or any of that will just exacerbate any and all of your worries.

The mind is a funny thing Dragons. Everything can appear on the surface to be ok bit underneath in our unconscious it may be a different story. Life happens and it can take time for it's impact to be felt. One of the ways it is felt is through anxiety. Panic attacks, overthinking, feelings of unease.

My advice to you is ensure you are comfortable with your GP and your therapist. Ask lots of questions. If something doesn't feel right then explore why that may be. I get the sense from your posts that you're completely baffled by all of this. Don't be fobbed off by the medical profession. If you aren't happy find a professional who you can work with.

Like other posters have said stay away from Dr Google. It will only add to your stress. Finally trust your intuition :)

The mind is a funny thing Dragons. Everything can appear on the surface to be ok bit underneath in our unconscious it may be a different story. Life happens and it can take time for it's impact to be felt. One of the ways it is felt is through anxiety. Panic attacks, overthinking, feelings of unease.

My advice to you is ensure you are comfortable with your GP and your therapist. Ask lots of questions. If something doesn't feel right then explore why that may be. I get the sense from your posts that you're completely baffled by all of this. Don't be fobbed off by the medical profession. If you aren't happy find a professional who you can work with.

Like other posters have said stay away from Dr Google. It will only add to your stress. Finally trust your intuition :)

Thanks very much,
    If everything wasnt so conflicted at least id have a straight line to go on.but its all up in the air and constantly questioning which way is the right way.

Its all so new to me and thats why its so scary.

To be honest about something,i just feel terrified about it.

Panic attacks were bad but came and went at least.the constant high alert state is absolute pants.

Id pay anything to get out of this over thinking head of mine for an hour so i could just enjoy a cupa tea and watch a movie without all this weird stuff popping in.

If a med isnt the right one for you,can you get adverse effects or worsening of your symptoms.
    Or do the side effects not go away and thats how you know to change.

Ive never had to find out any of this before so its all just hitting at the same time.

Sorry about taking up all the time on the site today everyone

Dragons, you are doing the best you can. Counselling and doctor is the way. Google or any of that will just exacerbate any and all of your worries.

Thanks very much

Thanks very much,
    If everything wasnt so conflicted at least id have a straight line to go on.but its all up in the air and constantly questioning which way is the right way.

Its all so new to me and thats why its so scary.

To be honest about something,i just feel terrified about it.

Panic attacks were bad but came and went at least.the constant high alert state is absolute pants.

Id pay anything to get out of this over thinking head of mine for an hour so i could just enjoy a cupa tea and watch a movie without all this weird stuff popping in.

If a med isnt the right one for you,can you get adverse effects or worsening of your symptoms.
    Or do the side effects not go away and thats how you know to change.

Ive never had to find out any of this before so its all just hitting at the same time.

Sorry about taking up all the time on the site today everyone

There is absolutely no need for apologies Dragons. There is space for everyone on this thread :)

What does your GP think about your meds?

There is absolutely no need for apologies Dragons. There is space for everyone on this thread :)

What does your GP think about your meds?

I asked him last tuesday.explained it all again from start to finish to him.
    Asked him could i be having an adverse reaction to these meds.

Told him how the first 1 gave me this.

Told him about second one and now i have that.

Told him that the side effects thst are supposed to go after first couple weeks intensified instead of going away.

He said i could be,that some people cant take them at all.

He said i could level out the way i was but ive trained myself into anxious behaviour so would have to deal with that too.

Very confusing.

I asked him last tuesday.explained it all again from start to finish to him.
    Asked him could i be having an adverse reaction to these meds.

Told him how the first 1 gave me this.

Told him about second one and now i have that.

Told him that the side effects thst are supposed to go after first couple weeks intensified instead of going away.

He said i could be,that some people cant take them at all.

He said i could level out the way i was but ive trained myself into anxious behaviour so would have to deal with that too.

Very confusing.

I can´t give you medical advice Dragons but I can tell you that you are in the driving seat of your care. If you aren´t happy please find a different doctor.

I can´t give you medical advice Dragons but I can tell you that you are in the driving seat of your care. If you aren´t happy please find a different doctor.

Sure the head consultant of the psych hospital,i told him i was getting worse and felt i couldnt stop over thinking.he threw me a prescription for xanax and kicked me out.i asked if i could stay as an impatient and he just told me to get a ct scan that could explain why im not responding to meds.
    Its all just mad

Sure the head consultant of the psych hospital,i told him i was getting worse and felt i couldnt stop over thinking.he threw me a prescription for xanax and kicked me out.i asked if i could stay as an impatient and he just told me to get a ct scan that could explain why im not responding to meds.
    Its all just mad

Inpatient psychiatric care in this country is generally for those who are very very mentally unwell. If you aren't happy with how you are being treated Dragons then you need to say so. Absolutely get the CT scan if that's what's been recommended but why not tell your GP that you're frustrated. Tell your therapist as well. Again if you are unhappy with them, change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Dr Google-oh boy, it's helped a few times. But other times-'you're gonna lose your leg, it's not really a headcold'.

(Tbh, it helped me treating with dogs and cattle. Like type in symptoms, google it, and it was like 'ah, okay...cool, that's how we treat it).
    But it's often best to stick with conventional treatment. The amount of 'take a vitamin, you'll be grand' for mental illness is disturbing. Especially since it preys on people who are desperate for a cure-similar to those with terminal illness.
    I will say that I found amazon and other bookshops really helpful for me-not as a cure, but rather 'this is what your brain is doing...and why you feel this way'. So I was often buying books on mental illness.
    That helped enormously. But it wasn't a cure. (I'm a curious person-I wanna know everything about something. When I was diagnosed with eczema, I wanted to know what the hell it was, so pamphlets and google were my friend).

Thank you all for the advice.

Saw a new psychotherapist today.seems very good.
    Thinks i have a dissociation disorder or imbalance.
    Never heard of it but its linked with anxiety disorders or part of anyway.therapy is hard but good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Long time boardsie here but decided to anon.

I've been really struggling for the past week. I can't stop crying and feel under immense stress in work despite the fact that I don't actually have much to do. I think me sitting there with nothing more than time and my thoughts to keep me occupied is making this situation worse.

I really hate this feeling and I don't know how to cope.

Should I go see a counselor or go to my doctor?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭stargazing123

Hey. I'm a 17 year old female from Cork. I am currently in 6th year and I have had anxiety (4 years) and depression(2 years)

Hey. I'm a 17 year old female from Cork. I am currently in 6th year and I have had anxiety (4 years) and depression(2 years)

Hi stargazing123.
    Welcome to the thread. Thats tough to have such an experience, so young.

How're things for you at the moment?

i'm ok. i'm doing much better than I was last year. In fifth year i had very bad depression, i slept most of the summer and i was just emotionally exhausted from everything. My anxiety isint as bad as it used to be. I still struggle with depression though and i guess i'm just learning to find ways to cope with it.

i'm ok. i'm doing much better than I was last year. In fifth year i had very bad depression, i slept most of the summer and i was just emotionally exhausted from everything. My anxiety isint as bad as it used to be. I still struggle with depression though and i guess i'm just learning to find ways to cope with it.

Depression is like someone lets the air out if your tyres isn't it.
    I'm glad to hear things aren't maybe as bad now as they were.

Are you able to get through your schoolwork ok?

Depression is like someone lets the air out if your tyres isn't it.
    I'm glad to hear things aren't maybe as bad now as they were.

Are you able to get through your schoolwork ok?

ya it sure is. Ya my schoolwork is good and once I get studying i do quite well but school is hard for me since I don't have any friends. Everyone is in a group and sometimes although there are 1 or 2 girls that talk to me in class , I feel as though I will always be seen as an outsider. That's where the depression gets at me when I'm alone with my thoughts.

ya it sure is. Ya my schoolwork is good and once I get studying i do quite well but school is hard for me since I don't have any friends. Everyone is in a group and sometimes although there are 1 or 2 girls that talk to me in class , I feel as though I will always be seen as an outsider. That's where the depression gets at me when I'm alone with my thoughts.

It's funny, we feel very alone and isolated with depression and can doubt that anyone would like to spend time with us. The reality is very different and also, most people often have periods where they too feel alone. It is quite natural.
    I spend a lot of my time alone and would prefer it to be that way than with some people who I didn't feel had much time for me.

I'm glad that there are a couple who talk to you. You don't need to be the life and soul of the party of course. :)

As I said, welcome to the thread. Lots of support and empathy here. Time for me to hit the hay.

• Advertisement

It's funny, we feel very alone and isolated with depression and can doubt that anyone would like to spend time with us. The reality is very different and also, most people often have periods where they too feel alone. It is quite natural.
    I spend a lot of my time alone and would prefer it to be that way than with some people who I didn't feel had much time for me.

I'm glad that there are a couple who talk to you. You don't need to be the life and soul of the party of course. :)

As I said, welcome to the thread. Lots of support and empathy here. Time for me to hit the hay.
    Thank You:)

Advertisement