Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ds4593

I’d like to hear from others about coping strategies. Talking more about “specific” depressed thoughts, rather than a general depressed mood.
    I’ve tried a lot. Meditation and regular exercise have no effect. Doing something I like/am good at, doesn’t work as the last time I truly enjoyed something was when I was a kid.
    I have only one strategy that works and I really don’t want to use that one.
    Another one that is only somewhat effective is reflecting on consequences. I say it’s only somewhat effective due to the nature of irrational thinking at the time when I need it.
    Surely someone has something that is less damaging that takes the edge off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

ds4593 wrote: »
    I’d like to hear from others about coping strategies. Talking more about “specific” depressed thoughts, rather than a general depressed mood.
    I’ve tried a lot. Meditation and regular exercise have no effect. Doing something I like/am good at, doesn’t work as the last time I truly enjoyed something was when I was a kid.
    Another one that is only somewhat effective is reflecting on consequences. I say it’s only somewhat effective due to the nature of irrational thinking at the time when I need it.

This may sound odd but i found and find that focussing on the dark side gave it power. Never used any "strategy". Focussed on normality. Still do. For me too, doing for others takes me away from the dark side .. and letting time pass. That above all.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Kelly777

does anyone know if there is a forum like a discussion group on this site for anxiety and depression and if there is how do I use it. thanks

Hi I'm new here

quote="Turtle_;98818551"]Good to have this back!

*breathes sigh of relief*

Shall we do introductions seeing as it's been a while? :D

I'm the poster formerly known as scrimshanker. I closed that account because... I can't remember why :D

I'm late 20s, in Dublin, female, hopefully not too scary and I seem to have the labels of GAD and MDD...

I'm also around for a chat, should anyone want to chat :)

Lots of smileys for a depression thread![/quote]

hi graces7. how are you. I'm new to this board and I'm wondering how it works ie how I use it and join the discussion.
    when I go onto boards.ie how do I get onto discussion site.
    Thanks xx

quote="Graces7;106630657"]This may sound odd but i found and find that focussing on the dark side gave it power. Never used any "strategy". Focussed on normality. Still do. For me too, doing for others takes me away from the dark side .. and letting time pass. That above all.[/quote]

• Advertisement

Hi is anyone on here now for a chat ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Yeah, if one wants to talk-feel free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Kelly777 wrote: »
    hi graces7. how are you. I'm new to this board and I'm wondering how it works ie how I use it and join the discussion.
    when I go onto boards.ie how do I get onto discussion site.
    Thanks xx

quote="Graces7;106630657"]This may sound odd but i found and find that focussing on the dark side gave it power. Never used any "strategy". Focussed on normality. Still do. For me too, doing for others takes me away from the dark side .. and letting time pass. That above all.
    [/QUOTE]

Ah you are looking for a separate "chat" place here? Sorry; what you see is what you get unless someone knows different? This IS the discussion site. Fire away.. answer one of the posts with your ideas,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Kelly777 wrote:
    does anyone know if there is a forum like a discussion group on this site for anxiety and depression and if there is how do I use it. thanks

Hi kelly777.
    This is where discussions around anxiety and depression take place.
    Or just a place to vent.

Might be worth having a quick look at the charter, link in post 1, just to give you an idea of what goes on here.

Hope you benefit from reading, posting.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Kelly777 wrote: »
    Hi is anyone on here now for a chat ?

Hi Kelly, welcome, this here is the discussion thread for Anxiety and Depression in the Long Term Illness forum. There are almost always a few around to chat although i've been quiet lately due to a bad spell and other health issues..
    You will get used to the layout of the site very quickly, also at the top of the main page of this forum there are useful links to other resources for mental health, any questions, just ask :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I can't list them here, but there are chat rooms and forums available on the web-totally anonymous, but I often use them when I'm caught out with a bad spell.
    It allows you talk to many people about depression, stuff that's bothering you etc-all real time.

It's helped me a lot-even if, at times, the places can be crowded.

Graces7 wrote: »

Ah you are looking for a separate "chat" place here? Sorry; what you see is what you get unless someone knows different? This IS the discussion site. Fire away.. answer one of the posts with your ideas,[/quote]

Ah I see ok thanks Graces. I was wondering was there a different chat place

ok thanks for that

ok thanks gremlinertia for that

Hi Kelly, welcome, this here is the discussion thread for Anxiety and Depression in the Long Term Illness forum. There are almost always a few around to chat although i've been quiet lately due to a bad spell and other health issues..
    You will get used to the layout of the site very quickly, also at the top of the main page of this forum there are useful links to other resources for mental health, any questions, just ask :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

No problem, hope you are doing ok

thanks Rabblerouser.
    Can you talk here about how you are feeling and about depression and anxiety
    . there doesn't appear to be many chatting . like not many posts about how people are feeling . thanks

I can't list them here, but there are chat rooms and forums available on the web-totally anonymous, but I often use them when I'm caught out with a bad spell.
    It allows you talk to many people about depression, stuff that's bothering you etc-all real time.

It's helped me a lot-even if, at times, the places can be crowded.

I'm not great at the moment that's why I joined this site to talk to people who are depressed and anxious just so I cud feel a bit normal as in that there are other people like me. I'm suffering bad with both depression and anxiety for the last 3 years.. I'm trying everything but nothing appears to be making me feel a bit better. I'm just getting to the end of my tether with it at this stage. I'm on meds for it. I've tried a good few different ones . how are you

quote="Gremlinertia;106661772"]No problem, hope you are doing ok[/quote]

I first went to a doc around 8/9 years ago but had problems since my teens. In a bit of a rut currently too. Stress and rapid cycling moods etc. It all takes it's toll.. Luckily i work nights mostly on my own so i've managed to hold a job.

It's a curse isn't it Gremlinertia. do you have both depression and anxiety or just one.
    Are you on meds.
    You are lucky to be on your own in job so you can hold job down. I cudnt work at the moment I'm too bad. wat meds are you on

I first went to a doc around 8/9 years ago but had problems since my teens. In a bit of a rut currently too. Stress and rapid cycling moods etc. It all takes it's toll.. Luckily i work nights mostly on my own so i've managed to hold a job.

I have both and am on meds tried a lot over the years but an anti-depressant and an anti-psychotic for me now. I have other longstanding issues which cause pain and such difficulties too. What is going on with you?

• Advertisement

yes I have tried alot of different meds but none seem to do the job. What ones are you on. Are you allowed say them on this chat site. when you say longstanding issues do you mean other conditions other than depression and anxiety.
    I had a major event in my life 3 years ago and it triggered anxiety and depression in me. I think I have post traumatic stress now. it was a very stressful event which has left me in a bad way. I'm trying to put it aside and get over it .
    Are you male or female

I have both and am on meds tried a lot over the years but an anti-depressant and an anti-psychotic for me now. I have other longstanding issues which cause pain and such difficulties too. What is going on with you?

I'm on fluoxetine and quetiapine, not positive of spellings, been on sooooo many others over the years too. I have a chronic acute pain issue which messes everything up too.

Have you been to therapy or referred to a therapist at all?

ok and how do you find them meds. I never heard of quetiapine. what's that for.
    I'm on valdoxan, olanzapine, lyrica and beta blocker. where you ever on any of these.
    I'm going to therapy at the moment. in the last 3 years I've been to a few counsellors

I'm on fluoxetine and quetiapine, not positive of spellings, been on sooooo many others over the years too. I have a chronic acute pain issue which messes everything up too.

are you male or female

Been on olanzapine and lyrica for sure not positive about first one. I'm female, you?

I'm female too.
    Can you remember what you thought of Olanzapine and lyrica.
    lyrica is supposed to be for the anxiety

Been on olanzapine and lyrica for sure not positive about first one. I'm female, you?

I had lyrica twice, once for pain (no joy) then for anxiety where i felt it made me groggy while my heart was still pounding but everything i ever took was always with other things so it'd be hard to say for surewhat i thought of an individual drug.. I talked a lot with my doc and the pain management people in the hospital really..

ok thanks for that. it's good to know wat other people think of certain drugs.
    I'm on the lyrica but still am anxious so I don't know if it's doing anything really.
    is your pain very bad.
    Do you find the anxiety makes you feel very uneasy and also that you can't organise yourself to do anything that you just feel stuck .
    do you mind me asking you how old you are

I had lyrica twice, once for pain (no joy) then for anxiety where i felt it made me groggy while my heart was still pounding but everything i ever took was always with other things so it'd be hard to say for surewhat i thought of an individual drug.. I talked a lot with my doc and the pain management people in the hospital really..

I think if you do some research, even reading back over this thread, you'll see that anxiety and depression have severe effects on motivation and energy levels too. I'm late thirties

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

ds4593 wrote: »

What meditation technique(s) and exercises did you try?

Advertisement