Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Kelly777 wrote: »
    Hi all
    my doc just put me on new meds for anxiety. it's called buspar. has anyone ever heard of it. I really hope it works

Think i may have been on that years ago, name certainly familiar, fingers crossed it helps, so much time is spent on trial and error though..

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Kelly777

ds4593 wrote: »
    I don’t suffer from this now. But a month ago I felt that I had symptoms of psychotic depression, primarily in the form of voices/suggestions. This is the first time that I have displayed psychotic symptoms along side my ongoing depression. It lasted around two weeks.
    It scared me quite a lot due to the nature of the voices. I wanted to commit myself to hospital because of the voices, but I had an important job to do and I was worried that I wouldn’t be let out in time.
    I was also scared of mentioning it to my wife as she is already finding it hard enough to cope with my other issues. This feels like I crossed the “crazy” line along with a potentially more dangerous line, and I’m sure my wife would also see it that way.
    I am mainly looking for advice for if this happens again.
    If I go to my GP will they be able to give me anti-psychotic drugs or would they refer me to a hospital that deals specifically with people with mental issues?
    Also would I be committed if I looked for help while suffering from psychotic depression and if I was, is there a set minimum time you need to stay in the hospital?

hi ds
    God that's awful on you. how are you now. that must be very scary

Hi all
    my doc just put me on new meds for anxiety. it's called buspar. has anyone ever heard of it. I really hope it works

Think i may have been on that years ago, name certainly familiar, fingers crossed it helps, so much time is spent on trial and error though..

are you on anything for your anxiety. yes its all trial and error isn't it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Seroquel does maintain my anxiety, never gone but can function most of the time..

Seroquel does maintain my anxiety, never gone but can function most of the time..

I never heard of that. God I just hope the buspar works as I'm in a bad way with anxiety. I need it to at least help a bit. I hate leaving house and I hate talking to people. I just feel I'm really bad.
    not many on site tonight Grem

• Advertisement

I never heard of that. God I just hope the buspar works as I'm in a bad way with anxiety. I need it to at least help a bit. I hate leaving house and I hate talking to people. I just feel I'm really bad.

It varies a lot and weekends can be quiet

I rely heavily or my earphones going to and from work, don't have to talk feck all in work..

It varies a lot and weekends can be quiet

I rely heavily or my earphones going to and from work, don't have to talk feck all in work..

what do you listen to on your earphones. I can't listen to radio or watch tv at the moment cos they trigger my anxiety which is a right pain as I want to listen to news......just triggers it off for me.
    that's good that you don't have to talk in work.
    do you live in Dublin Grem

A collection of music i've had for a few years. Sometimes nothing because i'm not able.. Nah, i'm in the west..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Playing old Pokémon games helps me relax. Of course it's only now as aging 28 year old going on 60 that I see how cruel it is getting two animal like creatures with an amazing assortment of powers to battle each other until they literally KO the other all for the glory of being the champion of animal cruelty but.....

I went off tangent a bit there didn't I? That's another thing that makes me.... not quite smile but almost smile. My originality. See above how I started with a simple subject and then went completely off planet! It's one of the few (few? one? only? I dunno....) things about myself that I like.

Was going to go to the doc on Friday cos my medication clearly ain't working. Up until after Christmas everything was semi-ok-ish, but since then everything's been dialled to 11 and beyond. Just thinking what avenues I have left at this stage.... Medication: done and failed. Psychologist: done and failed. Medicals: done and failed. Psychiatrists: done and failed. I dunno whether it's because I'm too stubborn or whether it's due to my Batman-like levels of being completely resolute to my own personal way that I see the world.

Anyone ever tried hypnotherapy? Or it a load of old BS? ECT is always at the back of my mind but it was put there by myself, never suggested by any doctors. Sigh.

I'm still trying to find something to work for me longer term.. It's still maintenance meds, adjusting all the time and talking to psych in hospital.. Basically i'm still being treated for symptoms rather than whatever the cause is/was. I believe that point was brought up on a show on RTE the other night which i intend to watch.
    I have never tried hypno anything, i think i'm too cynical or something to give it a proper go..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hey everyone, on anon because people could identify me from my username and posts.
    Basically things are very bad again.
    I’ve been advised to seek inpatient treatment in a hospital by a friend but don’t know how to go about it?
    Do I get my psychiatrist to sign off on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 ds4593

hi ds
    God that's awful on you. how are you now. that must be very scary

To be honest, not good.
    I thought that when you feel utterly hopeless with active plans to die, along side ruining the lives of people close to me, that things couldn’t get worse. I mean how can things get worse?
    Well throw in malevolent voices telling me to do things to others is disturbing to say the least.
    And now I feel that I have reached the “crazy” level that my mom displayed when I was growing up which is a massive kick in the teeth.

So yeah, I’m still looking for advice relating to my other post so I can nip this in the bud, before it goes further.

I love my family. My family is the only thing keeping me going. So to hear voices telling me to hurt them is horrific. It makes no sense.
    As I said that episode has passed but I really want to make sure things don’t get worse.

And what about you, how are you doing?

I've had experience with voices and wanted to reply to you. I will do properly later but for now arrange to see your doc, there's meds that can help..

Thanks for the response and I will do that.
    Any additional information would be greatly appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Hi ds there not going to admit you to hospital if you explain your symptoms to your doc, what they will do is add an anti psychotic to whatever medication you are already taking if the psychosis is an ongoing thing or getting more severe.Are you seeing a psychiatrist or your local gp?

So probably the one thing i don't talk about regarding my mental health is hearing voices and/or sight disturbances, i chat about everything else related but these still seem a taboo too far for most.. Thing is they are common and manageable, get on to your gp, they would usually refer you to outpatients psych dept in the hospital or private practice depending on your personal situation.
    After a good assessment medication is usually prescribed to help with the symptoms and also an arrangement to monitor those medications and follow up with talk therapy if deemed appropriate. Well done on pre-empting this, any other questions just ask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 CaffeineLad

I posted anonymously last night but I guess it wasn't accepted?
    So I made a new account
    Basically things are bad and I'm wondering how do I go inpatient for treatment?
    Do I ask my psychiatrist?
    I've been outpatient for over a year now and attending weekly therapy but nothing is working not even my meds
    Hope yiz are well

edit: I want to get to a more stable place before I enter the most important year of college and I feel inpatient is the best answer at the moment

I posted anonymously last night but I guess it wasn't accepted?
    So I made a new account
    Basically things are bad and I'm wondering how do I go inpatient for treatment?
    Do I ask my psychiatrist?
    I've been outpatient for over a year now and attending weekly therapy but nothing is working not even my meds
    Hope yiz are well

Hi sorry, never saw any post pending approval, will have to check that out.

Yes your psychiatrist would be the one to ask. If you feel bad, as always attend your local out of hours doctor or accident and emergency

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 CaffeineLad

Hi sorry, never saw any post pending approval, will have to check that out.

Yes your psychiatrist would be the one to ask. If you feel bad, as always attend your local out of hours doctor or accident and emergency

to be honest, it was about 4am and maybe it didn;t even send :D

Thanks for the input mg1982 & Germlinertia. Much appreciated.
    That makes the next steps a little easier to take.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,855 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

28 male on the autism spectrum

My speaking voice is low (A lot lower than I think) and it's leads to frustration etc as i work in retail. I knw is hard but is there any fixes or tips too improve it ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

PTH2009 wrote:
    My speaking voice is low (A lot lower than I think) and it's leads to frustration etc as i work in retail. I knw is hard but is there any fixes or tips too improve it ??

Would you try Toastmasters groups?
    They are pretty much nationwide and, from what I've heard from 3 very close friends/family are very supportive.

They allow trial nights to see what you think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Anyone else hate the thought of the long weekend cos everyone is looking forward to it.

Down here in Cork, it's torture, everyone is happy with the Ed Sheeran concert and the weather meant to be nice, whereas I've a weekend of nothing ahead of me.

Find myself praying it's going to lash rain for 3 days just to annoy people

titan18 wrote: »
    Anyone else hate the thought of the long weekend cos everyone is looking forward to it.

Down here in Cork, it's torture, everyone is happy with the Ed Sheeran concert and the weather meant to be nice, whereas I've a weekend of nothing ahead of me.

Find myself praying it's going to lash rain for 3 days just to annoy people

I have no plans either Titan. I rarely do on bank holiday weekends. Try and shift your perspective if you can. The truth is not every person is happy and looking forward to the weekend. Right now there are those who are at the end of their life, people who are grieving, who have received bad news, who will be sleeping on the streets, experiencing abuse. They are extreme examples I realise but I promise you things are not always as they seem.

How would you feel about doing something nice for yourself this weekend? Or having a duvet day with nice food and films? Don't be praying for bad weather just to annoy others. It's bad karma. Take charge of your own happiness this weekend :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I have no plans either Titan. I rarely do on bank holiday weekends. Try and shift your perspective if you can. The truth is not every person is happy and looking forward to the weekend. Right now there are those who are at the end of their life, people who are grieving, who have received bad news, who will be sleeping on the streets, experiencing abuse. They are extreme examples I realise but I promise you things are not always as they seem.

How would you feel about doing something nice for yourself this weekend? Or having a duvet day with nice food and films? Don't be praying for bad weather just to annoy others. It's bad karma. Take charge of your own happiness this weekend :)

I found I can watch movies at weekends-yes, I torrent at times-don't judge me...please. ;)

I just prefer to watch movies or play games, tv's pretty rubbish lately. Was meant to mow the lawn-and then rain happened. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

How would you feel about doing something nice for yourself this weekend? Or having a duvet day with nice food and films? Don't be praying for bad weather just to annoy others. It's bad karma. Take charge of your own happiness this weekend

That's what I do every weekend though so it doesn't really thrill me. For some a weekend in is great cos to they're always out. When it's your life, it's just more of the same boring crap

That's what I do every weekend though so it doesn't really thrill me. For some a weekend in is great cos to they're always out. When it's your life, it's just more of the same boring crap

I know very few people where I live so tend to do most things alone. Luckily I love my own company but if I didn't make my own way, have my own plans then nothing would happen for me. What about taking a walk by the sea? Or if you're in the city you could visit the English market?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,855 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Would you try Toastmasters groups?
    They are pretty much nationwide and, from what I've heard from 3 very close friends/family are very supportive.

They allow trial nights to see what you think.

might try them

Its get so frustrating when u hear other people having conversations and they hear each other so clearly and then when i try and talk the word 'What' follows almost after every sentence. I feel its not been listented too but i knw i have a low talking voice

I hate getting angry at myself and others. I cant help my voice been low. I hate loud speakers and unwanted noise such as Drills, car horns, whistling etc and they make me feel uneasy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

PTH2009 wrote: »
    might try them

Its get so frustrating when u hear other people having conversations and they hear each other so clearly and then when i try and talk the word 'What' follows almost after every sentence. I feel its not been listented too but i knw i have a low talking voice

The fact that people ask you to repeat yourself proves they ARE listening and are interested in what you have to say. Toastmasters or sessions with a speech and drama teacher could well help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Sounds like me many years ago... I dreaded weekends. Always alone, always miserable.

Somehow i learned to really love my own company, to enjoy being myself with myself, and now I am settled into that.
    I live alone on a tiny island now with cats and dog and rarely see anyone .Love it.

But i am old and chronically ill so not active as you are.

You are unique and precious.You really are. Love YOU.

I always knitted etc for others and that helps. A craft hobby really does help not as a desperate measure but as a real resource.

Advertisement