Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

Music for the soul

https://youtu.be/IA1liCmUsAM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Bit of a black hole again this evening! All weekend in fact. Off to Portugal Tuesday - really want to be in better humour!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 tantan2

Try_harder wrote: »
    Bit of a black hole again this evening! All weekend in fact. Off to Portugal Tuesday - really want to be in better humour!

I felt like that going to Poland last year, I would have cancelled but the thoughts of leaving others down felt worse...
    At the time I was going trough one of the worst times in my life.... Now, looking back, I think I enjoyed some of the time there, I left the others do the sightseeing that they wanted to do and I only did what I felt I could do,
    I took time out to relax by myself and actually read a full book while I was there.

PS... I found downloading a film/ series kept me going on the plane

Have a lovely holiday, hope things brighten up for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

I really need to go back to my doc. Meds I'm on aren't working, I think somehow I've become immune to them which was something I didn't think possible. For the past month I've decided on several occasions that I'd go, and yet the night before or day of I've just decided not to.

"The greatest adversary you shall ever face in this life, is yourself" - Me 01:29 07/05/2018

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I find with most meds they will 'level off' after a while and dosage may need adjusting so yeah back to the doc it is.. There are loads of combinations that could help too depending on issues like anxiety or whatever that often appear with depression

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭DrWu

Graces7 wrote: »
    I live alone on a tiny island now with cats and dog and rarely see anyone .Love it.

This is my dream. I have 6 cats, all I need now is the Island. Every time I encounter other humans I end up going into the "upside down," I simply can't deal with them any more (I was never great at it anyway, but my tolerance levels are now at zero). I wonder does misanthropy go along with bipolar depression?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

DrWu wrote: »
    This is my dream. I have 6 cats, all I need now is the Island. Every time I encounter other humans I end up going into the "upside down," I simply can't deal with them any more (I was never great at it anyway, but my tolerance levels are now at zero). I wonder does misanthropy go along with bipolar depression?

Im the same would love to live on an island with my pets and only deal with other humans occasionally. Sadly it will more than likely remain a dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Dragons

Hi everyone.
    I've been gone for a few months,hope you are all doing ok.best wishes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Dragons wrote:
    Hi everyone. I've been gone for a few months,hope you are all doing ok.best wishes

Nice post Dragons.

Nice post Dragons.

This was a nice place to go for a vent and a nice bit of support when I was confused and really needed it.

A place where we can be honest and not worry about being judged because of mental health.

Good people are hard to find so I'm thankful when I do meet them.

So thank you

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Same here Dragons, been a lifeline for me here over the years. Actually i don't say thanks often enough, so thanks to all, past and present :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,381 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

There are a long list of people banned from here though. I dunno where Boards duty of care is with those people. This was all they had.

There are a long list of people banned from here though. I dunno where Boards duty of care is with those people. This was all they had.

How could Boards possibly have a duty of care for anonymous users of an internet discussion forum. :confused:

I never saw anyone banned from here who needed help and used the forum in line with the charter.

There was serious effort put in to the development of the charter so as to try to best satisfy the needs of the users while still protecting boards from a place that might have done more harm than good.

Really? How do you even know this? Boards duty of care is very limited. It provides this thread, the moderators, and a charter to follow. I'm not sure what else they should do.

Really? How do you even know this? Boards duty of care is very limited. It provides this thread, the moderators, and a charter to follow. I'm not sure what else they should do.

I notice things I guess. I've seen people on here in a bad place and venting and saying something wrong due to the bad place there in, and some Mod comes along and bans them. Some of those people were on the edge, seems wrong to push them over.
    I just think if you do ban site someone from boards, it would be best to always allow this one thread to always be available to them regardless of banning them.
    Sometimes their ban is from things said on other threads , but then they lose their ability to post here too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

I notice things I guess. I've seen people on here in a bad place and venting and saying something wrong due to the bad place there in, and some Mod comes along and bans them. Some of those people were on the edge, seems wrong to push them over.
    I just think if you do ban site someone from boards, it would be best to always allow this one thread to always be available to them regardless of banning them.
    Sometimes their ban is from things said on other threads , but then they lose their ability to post here too.

But thread bans are far from permanent are they?
    Least I've seen people get banned from other threads that are back the day after?

I do take your point but really you have no idea what goes on behind the scenes here. This thread should never ever be a substitute for proper care. Boards is not a mental health provider. I have seen posters write things in other parts of the site that were completely beyond the remit of the place, posters who went in to light hearted threads to say "goodbye" leaving everyone wondering and worrying.

The charter here is in place to protect the users and I think it does a very good job of that.

wexie wrote: »
    But thread bans are far from permanent are they?
    Least I've seen people get banned from other threads that are back the day after?

Some get permanent site ban. In a ban like that they should still have access to this one and only thread, if they were clear users of this thread, which many were.

Some get permanent site ban. In a ban like that they should still have access to this one and only thread, if they were clear users of this thread, which many were.

.....yeah...I don't know, I'd be inclined to say that for the thread that it is perhaps a different standard might apply to perma bans...

But I don't know how workable that would be, nor have I seen any of the infractions for which they were handed out.

I disagree. If someone is using any one forum or thread, they should be responsible to ensure that they do not behave inappropriately elsewhere on the site and if they do not, why should Boards essentially provide them a place where they benefit.

• Advertisement

BorneToby, I would encourage to either pm a moderator or perhaps bring this to Helpdesk, the charter as it stands is clear on things specific to this forum and its threads, it has been worked on hard over the years and much thought has been put into its development. That said, input is always welcome but please do this through the proper channels..

Hi I don't know if this against forum guidelines but does anyone find that natural supplements have helped with anxiety?

I've only started looking into it but magnesium and b12 are said to help a lot.

Has anyone experienced any pros or cons from taking them?Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Dragons wrote: »
    Hi I don't know if this against forum guidelines but does anyone find that natural supplements have helped with anxiety?

I've only started looking into it but magnesium and b12 are said to help a lot.

Has anyone experienced any pros or cons from taking them?Cheers

Well, I have taken multivitamins while taking anti-depressants, and found they helped me. But it's common to find yourself vitamin deficient because of mental illness. Stress takes its toll on the body.

But consult your doctor-I did with mine, and he said that a multivitamin was okay. If you're worried about vitamin deficiency, talk to your doctor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Why do I feel so pathetic? Out of work sick with a sinus infection, and all I'm doing is thinking about someone who broke my heart. Don't have work to distract me and limited on how much screen time I can take with headaches so my mind is just going back and forth over this one girl.

No idea what I did for her to cut contact which frustrates me, but then I really liked her and can't get her out of my head.

titan18 wrote:
    No idea what I did for her to cut contact which frustrates me, but then I really liked her and can't get her out of my head.

titan18, sorry to hear you are in a low spot. Hopefully the sinus infection will lift and you'll get back to work pretty soon.

Is this the same girl who you spoke here about some months ago? What would you advise a friend to do if they were in your position? Honestly?

Yup, same girl unfortunately. If I had friends, I'd probably tell him to forget, but that's not easy, and I've never been able to do that with anyone in my own life.

Chances are I'll end up with a restraining order or arrested, and that'll be the end of it.

How do people forget about others? I just can't, no matter how long goes by. I remember regrets I'd have for 18 years and they just pile up.

I tried talking to her there but pretty sure she just blocked me again after screenshotting my message (Snapchat). Sad thing is I'll learn nothing and when it's her birthday in a few weeks, I'll try again. I know it's a no but feck, even if I could have a friendship with her, I'd be thrilled, or at least know what I did wrong. I'd imagine I was too persistent or something after she originally told me her issues and it freaked her out, but I don't know and its killing me. Not even slowly like, I'm in tears again and it's like 9 months later

If you care about this girl Titan then you won't do anything that will cause a restraining order to be taken against you. Don't do anything which will jeapordise your own life.

If you care about this girl Titan then you won't do anything that will cause a restraining order to be taken against you. Don't do anything which will jeapordise your own life.

Can you get one for social media messaging?

titan18 wrote: »
    Can you get one for social media messaging?

I really don't know but persistent contact can be scary and overwhelming particularly if the other person also has their own issues.

When I was in my early twenties I went through a phase of wanting a boyfriend so badly that I couldn't even recognise when I was genuinely interested in someone because I was so desperate. That desperation ate away at my self-esteem. I was needy and intense.

When we haven’t had much of something, the need for it can be all consuming. Our judgement becomes clouded and we act and think irrationally. That may be what's happening here with you Titan. Why would you continue to hurt yourself by attempting to contact this woman? And also hurt her in the process?

Please take a step back and recognise that you are a whole person regardless of who is in your life. Also I would definitely speak to a professional about all of this.

• Advertisement

titan18 wrote: »
    How do people forget about others? I just can't, no matter how long goes by. I

You don't forget Titan, and you don't have to. But you do have to try to let go of someone wants to be let go.

They're not the same thing and they don't have to be the same thing. But try to take the good from what you had without turning it into something not so good. (Like a restraining order :( )

Advertisement