Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭Shpud2

Graces7 wrote: »
    (((HUGS)))

But get out of bed and EAT! Low blood sugar will make you feel worse, believe me. OK? OK!

Well I got out of bed and had food anyway. Cleaned my car and went to town. Did some shopping and was nice to have someone to talk to when i was chatting to the sales assistant. Still feeling uneasy though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Shpud2 wrote: »
    Well I got out of bed and had food anyway. Cleaned my car and went to town. Did some shopping and was nice to have someone to talk to when i was chatting to the sales assistant. Still feeling uneasy though.

I've done that-like Graces said, the low blood sugars will mess you up. Sometimes takes a day or two to get back to normal. And coffee doesn't help. It's important to just get up, walk around a bit. If you can take a walk, do it.

Just don't stay in bed. And eat something.

I've done that-like Graces said, the low blood sugars will mess you up. Sometimes takes a day or two to get back to normal. And coffee doesn't help. It's important to just get up, walk around a bit. If you can take a walk, do it.

Yeah I did a lot of cycling and walking today so I am doing that. I don't drink coffee and i managed lunch and dinner today. I suppose I have been much worse where I would not eat for days on end so i know what i am capable of getting to but I'm eating small bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

Food is being mentioned in a few replies so I’m happy to suggest an
    amazingly cheap nutritious tasty food that’s easy to make.

Mates have me 9 out of 10 for this simple wrap

Quinoa info - a super food
    https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/health-benefits-quinoa

Tri coloured Quinoa is available at Aldi not in LIDL for 2 euro.
    Boil with some parsley or mixed herbs or just salt if you want.
    Add approx 4 times as much water to quinoa. Boil gently for 15 mins and cover for approx 10.
    1/3 bag makes about 4 wraps approx

Separately fry rashers (diced rashers are a euro in Aldi) with some onion or just veg if you are a vegetarian

Add cooked quinoa and mix.

If poss add a little cheese

Dampen a wrap and add some to the wrap
    Fold over wrap and place under a foreman grill (foreman grills are 20euro in Argos) or place carefully under a grill

Or with no wraps make a toasted sandwich with quinoa mix and cheese

Heat up and enjoy !

It’s so so cheap to make these and all ingredients available at Aldi. Wraps are in 8s I think and the single wrap breads with no content can be frozen

Very nutritious and lifts the spirits

Consider adding some crushed nuts as well. Nuts are better value at LIDL

And make an extra one to bring with you to habe later

Nom nom nom :-)

Cheap hearty food is good for your body and lifts the spirits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The voice of hard experience in similar situations... I have dodgy blood sugar issues anyways so as soon as I start feeling down I eat.

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    The voice of hard experience in similar situations... I have dodgy blood sugar issues anyways so as soon as I start feeling down I eat.

I'm terrible for it too-and one of the things I got a bad habit of is staying up late early mornings-til about 5 am.
    I grew up on a farm, and you'd often have animals giving birth in the early hours (More than once I had to stay up until 9am-ugh).

So I have this bad habit of messing up my blood sugars. And that's why its important to eat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I'm terrible for it too-and one of the things I got a bad habit of is staying up late early mornings-til about 5 am.
    I grew up on a farm, and you'd often have animals giving birth in the early hours (More than once I had to stay up until 9am-ugh).

So I have this bad habit of messing up my blood sugars. And that's why its important to eat.

Yep and also depression is a physical thing and brings the old " I am going to curl up in a corner, not eat and die." mindset. So easy to do that.

I have M. E and wildly erratic blood sugar levels are a major symptom with many of us so chocolate is perfect to carry round. I can feel the blood sugar dip!

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭DrWu

Quick check in to say hi to everyone and give an update.

This is my third week on Sodium Valproate and it's working wonders for me. I feel stable, level and in control again. The only drawback is I can feel I'm right at the edge of having panic attacks (I had crippling panic attacks and agoraphobia in my twenties). Actually I had a whopper while I was out Kayaking which was a terrifying experience. But it's a small price to pay for not doing crazy sh!t and trying to kill myself.

Hope you're all still battling too. Hugs and best wishes.

DrWu wrote: »
    Quick check in to say hi to everyone and give an update.

This is my third week on Sodium Valproate and it's working wonders for me. I feel stable, level and in control again.
    That's great to hear.
    The only drawback is I can feel I'm right at the edge of having panic attacks (I had crippling panic attacks and agoraphobia in my twenties). Actually I had a whopper while I was out Kayaking which was a terrifying experience. But it's a small price to pay for not doing crazy sh!t and trying to kill myself.
    I can only imagine that was scary. Hope you are feeling okay now.
    Hope you're all still battling too. Hugs and best wishes.
    I managed to get through the big event that i had been worrying about at the weekend fairly well. Didn't let myself get too upsetby people and besides a small panic attack the morning of I was fine. Had a massive panic attack at like 3 this morning that really scared me tbh and left me shaken for most of today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

After a few weeks of being in an ok-ish place... back down to the bottom of the pit again. Lashing out at people; withdrawing like a turtle back into the shell; loss of interest in food, leisure, etc; brain dialed to 11 resulting in increased stress and similar poop... In short, mentally worn out again. Sometimes I really hate this funny thing that we call 'life'.

I used to define myself by my conscience. Now, it seems as though my conscience is slowly fading into darkness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

Drink water to stay happy!

2.7 L for Women and 3.7 Litres (Inc food that has water in it) according to this report

I was exhausted all day and drank 1.5 L of water and I was fine. I was dehydrated all along ....

https://www.livescience.com/36106-mild-dehydration-triggers-moodiness-fatigue-women.html

https://www.bustle.com/articles/150067-6-things-that-can-trigger-a-bad-mood

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

Posted once before here. Have had depression since as long as i can remember. I'm bi-poplar. Anyway had the longest stint where i felt ok. Just this last week and a half the depression has come back. All the signs low energy, not wanting to go out, avoiding people. I was on a mood stablizer. Saw psychiatrist today as i was due to see him anyway put me on an anti depressant. I feel like my whole world has fallen in. Just don't think i can take another bout of this depression. I have had many bouts before a this period where i had felt ok. Taught i finally come out the other side and i just feel like i want to stay in bed and give up. Soul destroying.

Posted once before here. Have had depression since as long as i can remember. I'm bi-poplar. Anyway had the longest stint where i felt ok. Just this last week and a half the depression has come back. All the signs low energy, not wanting to go out, avoiding people. I was on a mood stablizer. Saw psychiatrist today as i was due to see him anyway put me on an anti depressant. I feel like my whole world has fallen in. Just don't think i can take another bout of this depression. I have had many bouts before a this period where i had felt ok. Taught i finally come out the other side and i just feel like i want to stay in bed and give up. Soul destroying.

Dude, why is your Psychiatrist putting you on an anti-depressant for Bipolar? My GP put me on Escitalopram last year and it sent me loopy. Three suicide attempts later, briefly kicked out of the family home, and I was diagnosed with RC BD2, put on Sodium Valproate and I'm feeling much better.

My advice for what it's worth is start with the smallest of things. Forget about ambitions, dreams, etc as reasons for living. For me it was nature. Seeing a Kestrel, or a Fox. That was enough. That was a good day... and a reason to still be here. Maybe you'll see something cool tomorrow, or the next day. Pretty soon you'll string a few good days together and it'll build. You just have to remember, if you're Bipolar, this stuff passes. You just need to get through these phases.

Im on epilim chrono. Have been on it for about two years. Everything had been going ok till about two and half weeks ago when the depression set in. My depression can last for a long bouts. Well thats before i was properly dianosged with bi-polar. The pshchiatrist did say that the anti-depressants could cause mania but because im on epilim chrono that is only a slight chance. I have to see him in three weeks time. He said if the mania was to start stop taking the anti-depressants.

Just check epilim chrono is sodium valporate. Yes that seemed to be working great. Now im worried that going on anti-depressants might be a good thing with this.

Just check epilim chrono is sodium valporate. Yes that seemed to be working great. Now im worried that going on anti-depressants might be a good thing with this.

Yeah Epilim Chrono is the brand of Sodium Valproate most commonly used in the UK and Europe. It's really good at controlling mania and hypomania. It also controlled my depression which was the worst part for me.

I do think there's always a trade off with these meds. My panic attacks are back with a vengeance but anything is better than that depression.

Give the anti-depressants a whirl and see how it goes. I think a lot of bipolar treatment is trial and error.

Actually, here's an interesting thing. When I was in that depressed state (which lasted months) I had no panic attacks and no death anxiety (Which is the source of my panic attacks). In fact I wished for death and attempted suicide several times. Once I stabilized my death anxiety returned and with it, the panic attacks. Make of that what you will, just thought it was interesting.

Having a lot more bad days recently. And when I'm down i feel like its getting worse everytime.

Having a lot more bad days recently. And when I'm down i feel like its getting worse everytime.

I feel like everyday is getting harder and harder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

With depression it can feel like the bad days will never end and will go on forever. But know that its not true you come through the bad days before out the other side and will again.

Been experiencing similar stuff-it's been a rough week, a few late day sleep ins.

It's been a rough, rough week. Someone I know, who was a friend of my late father, took his own life this last week. He was a grandfather, married, but had suffered with mental illness his whole life. Unfortunately, a few months back, his wife passed away from an illness, and I don't think he was able to cope.

I was already having kind of a sh***y week-lots of regrets, lots of feelings of regret, of missing where I wish my life was vs where it is.
    All that jazz. Then got word of this a few days back and...I dunno, you can understand why someone would do that. I'm not saying I condone it, I'm not saying I'd do it-I'm just saying I understand it.
    And that's sort of dragged me down quite a bit.

That and a lot of other stuff- a lot of my mistakes keep being brought up by family and friends and so on, but without them acknowledging how painful those memories are for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Mandown

Firstly Hi I don’t know why I’m posting here but maybe it’ll help flesh out what’s in my head
    20 male
    Last month got diagnosed with general anxiety disorder and today it’s depression.

Feel like I fell from the top. Everything was dandy now i feel like everything has gone backwards ,it’s just an effort to do anything a constant feeling of 3/10 (if that makes sense) all the time, snapping at family over trivial things when they’re just trying to help me. Love to be on a island alone for a while and get away from it all.

Feel like why am I complaining about my life and why is it ****e when there’s a billion other people that have it worse than me, I just lost my mojo for lack of a better word

Know I have to make a comeback but today is not that day.

(Mods feel free to delete this if it’s in the wrong place or not allowed )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Off topic but has anyone had any problems receiving illness benefit in the past few weeks?

mg1982 wrote: »
    With depression it can feel like the bad days will never end and will go on forever. But know that its not true you come through the bad days before out the other side and will again.

I'm really not sure about that because everything I do to try improve things is pointless. I'm starting therapy again in 2 weeks and thats the only thing keeping me going and if that doesn't help I don't know what I'll do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I'm really not sure about that because everything I do to try improve things is pointless. I'm starting therapy again in 2 weeks and thats the only thing keeping me going and if that doesn't help I don't know what I'll do.

Yes, but that is something. Therapy won't work overnight, give it time.
    In my experience, a large proportion of the time when therapy "doesn't work" it is because of unrealistic expectations as to just what therapists can do or an unmatch between them and the patient.

If you find this upcoming experience doesn't work then, while it is very frustrating, is not the end of the world.

Yes, but that is something. Therapy won't work overnight, give it time.
    In my experience, a large proportion of the time when therapy "doesn't work" it is because of unrealistic expectations as to just what therapists can do or an unmatch between them and the patient.

If you find this upcoming experience doesn't work then, while it is very frustrating, is not the end of the world.

I get that its not an instant thing. I just hope it is gonna put me on the right road. I don't expect too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Mandown wrote: »
    Firstly Hi I don’t know why I’m posting here but maybe it’ll help flesh out what’s in my head
    20 male
    Last month got diagnosed with general anxiety disorder and today it’s depression.

Feel like I fell from the top. Everything was dandy now i feel like everything has gone backwards ,it’s just an effort to do anything a constant feeling of 3/10 (if that makes sense) all the time, snapping at family over trivial things when they’re just trying to help me. Love to be on a island alone for a while and get away from it all.

Feel like why am I complaining about my life and why is it ****e when there’s a billion other people that have it worse than me, I just lost my mojo for lack of a better word

Know I have to make a comeback but today is not that day.

(Mods feel free to delete this if it’s in the wrong place or not allowed )

Welcome to the thread. Lots here have had similar experiences. A diagnosis of anxiety and/or depression is not the end of the world.

Hopefully you get on the right treatment to help you through this as smoothly as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Mandown

Welcome to the thread. Lots here have had similar experiences. A diagnosis of anxiety and/or depression is not the end of the world.

Hopefully you get on the right treatment to help you through this as smoothly as possible.
    Thank you for your kind words,
    Today has been a little better antidepressants might be working

Uh oh. I did a abd thing last night.

Uh oh. I did a abd thing last night.

Oh boy-was it staying up late or not eating right? Cos I've done that.

• Advertisement

Oh boy-was it staying up late or not eating right? Cos I've done that.

Much worse than that. I do those two everyday.

Advertisement