Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

Hey guys, hope you're all having an okay evening. Sending positive vibes x

I'm looking for jobs in the area that I want to pursue and even that is filling me with anxiety. I think I will put off looking for a job for another few months. I don't think I could handle the pressure of a fast paced, demanding (to me) job.

In regards to the discussion of accreditation of counselors it really is a minefield. It's hard to know who has the relevant qualifications. A bad therapist will do more harm than good. It's also hard because there is no where to find recommendations for a therapist. Also I find people will say if there are any issues, that you weren't suited to the therapist etc rather than say the therapist is bad at their job. I think that could be said in general about mental health care.

Look at the websites of the two organisations I mentioned in my post. They have lists of accredited therapists. Just like other professionals therapists can be ineffective and not very good in their role. Just keep in mind that it's a co-relational experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,040 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Been quietish here over the last few days. Hope that's a good sign for all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Been and up and down week for me. Good news is because my OT is leaving her referral for me to see their psychologist was accepted so I am now on a waiting list, so I don't need to see that other doctor now for a referral thank god as I've seen him several times and he only ever gives prescriptions.

Feeling a bit lost with my OT leaving, as I won't have any professional help/support until I start counselling with the psychologist and that won't be for a year at least.

Hope everyone is doing good :) x

Well that's good news. Obviously the length of the waiting time isn't ideal but it is good you got the referral.

I used to find that even making an appointment gave me an uplift as it felt like I was being proactive and that this next one might be the one where it all started to get better.

Hopefully the appointment won't be as long as you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bridgettedon

I know sometimes there are reports on waiting lists for hospitals. Is there anything on pysch services? It seems some parts of the country have extremely long waiting lists. I have usually waited a max of 3 months on a waiting list. Something needs to be done.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I try to take a week off in may every year.. Every single time for the last five or more years I've come down with a heavy chest cold.. Back to work tomorrow and just feeling crap now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

I try to take a week off in may every year.. Every single time for the last five or more years I've come down with a heavy chest cold.. Back to work tomorrow and just feeling crap now.

Same here, Grem. I was out all week due to being ill. I've got the Sunday Night Blues x10 here now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Being sick throughout a week's holidays is just cruel. I did manage two good days early on but i couldn't leave my bed at all thursday with fever and muscle pains. Poop.. Think pints are in order.

• Advertisement

Being sick throughout a week's holidays is just cruel. I did manage two good days early on but i couldn't leave my bed at all thursday with fever and muscle pains. Poop.. Think pints are in order.

Treat yourself, G! ;)

Oh no, sorry to hear yous were sick Hugo and Grem! Nothing worse than getting a bad dose on top of everything else. Hope you're both feeling a bit better now <3

Oh no, sorry to hear yous were sick Hugo and Grem! Nothing worse than getting a bad dose on top of everything else. Hope you're both feeling a bit better now <3

Not 100% yet but am a bit better. Back to the grindstone today. Nervous! Haha :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

I'm having troubles the last few days. I've had a stomach bug, vomiting and the old australian vomiting too. I think it has dehydrated me and coupled with the hot weather it is affecting my lithium levels. I'm quite manic and I hate it.

I used to love mania but these days it just embarrasses me. I can deal with depression quite well due to various coping strategies I have learned but mania is just horrible. Luckily it doesn't happen often due to the lithium.

The vomiting has finished now so hopefully I can get back to normal pretty sharpish. Today I started dancing to a tune at the supermarket while in a queue. I was mortified wheen I realised. Completely in another world I was.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

FortySeven wrote: »
    I'm having troubles the last few days. I've had a stomach bug, vomiting and the old australian vomiting too. I think it has dehydrated me and coupled with the hot weather it is affecting my lithium levels. I'm quite manic and I hate it.

I used to love mania but these days it just embarrasses me. I can deal with depression quite well due to various coping strategies I have learned but mania is just horrible. Luckily it doesn't happen often due to the lithium.

The vomiting has finished now so hopefully I can get back to normal pretty sharpish. Today I started dancing to a tune at the supermarket while in a queue. I was mortified wheen I realised. Completely in another world I was.

That stomach bug is definitely doing the rounds. I had it about a week or two ago. Had to come home from work at about half 10 and all, and I never leave work early!

Painful, the tightness of my lungs has me on edge..

• Advertisement

Not feeling the best at the moment. Overthinking can really suck the life out of a person. Sometimes everything seems like a massive problem.

Does anyone find that everyone annoys them. Like people just irritate the **** out of me. I really want someone who will just being some happiness to my life, but the smallest of things can irritate me so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

I can deal with depression quite well due to various coping strategies I have learned but mania is just horrible.

Overcharged/Undercharged= Horrible

Overcharged+Undercharged = Hell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Hello

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of attending the out patient clinic in St James's Inchicore Primary Care unit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Florida Pearl

Hi, this is my first ever post and I want to talk about mental health issues affecting me but I've read the charter and I don't think I'll be able to here. Does anyone know a good site where I can talk to someone? Thanks.

Hi, this is my first ever post and I want to talk about mental health issues affecting me but I've read the charter and I don't think I'll be able to here. Does anyone know a good site where I can talk to someone? Thanks.

Hey

Best course of action is to make an appointment with your gp

In the meantime maybe ring aware or the samaritans

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Florida Pearl

Hey

Best course of action is to make an appointment with your gp

In the meantime maybe ring aware or the samaritans

Thank you kindly, sir.

Hi Florida Pearl,

Very sorry to hear that you are in stress and that you feel that you cannot post here.

I see you've closed your account. If you still read this then there are links in the charter to resources such as AWARE and Pieta House.

Hope you get some comfort.

Fed up lads and at breaking point

Psych has raised me from 225mg Venlafaxine to 300mg

And Im being admitted as a daily outpatient; when all i want to do is to get back to work. Parents on my back as well about getting back to work asap

Dont know what to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Fed up lads and at breaking point

Psych has raised me from 225mg Venlafaxine to 300mg

And Im being admitted as a daily outpatient; when all i want to do is to get back to work. Parents on my back as well about getting back to work asap

Dont know what to do

First thing to do is make it abundantly clear to your parents that you will not be returning to work until you are ready and that pressure to return is not helping your recovery.

It can seem easier to placate with platitudes and false promises but in the long run it is counter productive. You need to make this clear to them.

First thing to do is make it abundantly clear to your parents that you will not be returning to work until you are ready and that pressure to return is not helping your recovery.

It can seem easier to placate with platitudes and false promises but in the long run it is counter productive. You need to make this clear to them.

They aint listening im afraid

I found the day hospital useful when I was there, but then again I'd say lot of it depends on the staff/unit. I'm guessing that you need to get a letter from your psych in order to be let back to work? I know it's ****, but if you play by their rules and attend day hospital for a bit you're much more likely to get that letter sooner than if you fight them on it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

Anyone ever feel that everything we do is just a distraction from the inevitable?

jezzer wrote: »
    Anyone ever feel that everything we do is just a distraction from the inevitable?

It is easy to feel that. I don't believe it even though I have felt it at times.

I've seen several examples of how doing things to get better can eventually work and for those that are lucky enough to do so, they've the added high of knowing how bad things were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

Not sure what the law is, but in our job, if you are sick on holiday leave and you provide a cert from the doctor then they have to give us back the holidays and pay us the sick leave.
    Might be worth looking into.

Hey folks

Does anyone here know anything about being assessed for Aspergers as an adult?

How long does it take through the public system, what hoops need to be jumped through etc.

Would appreciate any info at all.

• Advertisement

It is easy to feel that. I don't believe it even though I have felt it at times.

I've seen several examples of how doing things to get better can eventually work and for those that are lucky enough to do so, they've the added high of knowing how bad things were.

sometimes its like, whats the effing point, you know, its not nice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭trixychic

Haven't been on in a while. Between taking part in a local "strictly come dancing", my youngest b-day party, my granny having a major stroke ending up in emergency surgery and a pace maker, my eldest going to have his assessment and running around for parties, communion and the likes my anxiety levels are through the roof.

Saw my psych again. Confirmed I'm defo not showing sugns of depression but anxiety is still there and what i am experiencing now is definetly anxiety attacks. (I knew already but he confirmed it)

My attacks can last for hours or (as id the case right now) a couple of days where my body is in a constant high level of stress and anxieties. It's ruining me and wearing me out. I've been told the only way to fix it is through my own hard work on cbt and mindfulness techniques... So more work on top of what i have to do.

Where do ppl get the energy?? Sorry. Just needed to rant.

trixychic wrote: »
    Haven't been on in a while. Between taking part in a local "strictly come dancing", my youngest b-day party, my granny having a major stroke ending up in emergency surgery and a pace maker, my eldest going to have his assessment and running around for parties, communion and the likes my anxiety levels are through the roof.

Saw my psych again. Confirmed I'm defo not showing sugns of depression but anxiety is still there and what i am experiencing now is definetly anxiety attacks. (I knew already but he confirmed it)

My attacks can last for hours or (as id the case right now) a couple of days where my body is in a constant high level of stress and anxieties. It's ruining me and wearing me out. I've been told the only way to fix it is through my own hard work on cbt and mindfulness techniques... So more work on top of what i have to do.

Where do ppl get the energy?? Sorry. Just needed to rant.

Sounds exhausting. I don't know where some people get their energy. I can see that the anxiety is draining yours. Are you seeing any benefits from the cbt or have you not started it yet.

Sounds exhausting. I don't know where some people get their energy. I can see that the anxiety is draining yours. Are you seeing any benefits from the cbt or have you not started it yet.

Is it awful to say I haven't started it at all. I know its awful but I just never seen to get time to get to it... or if I do the thoughts of facing it are overwhelming... it's awful. I really need to just get up and do it

Anyways how are you keeping???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Good day yesterday but ended up sleeping all day today. V on edge and anxious

Is it awful to say I haven't started it at all. I know its awful but I just never seen to get time to get to it... or if I do the thoughts of facing it are overwhelming... it's awful. I really need to just get up and do it

Anyways how are you keeping???

I'm not too bad. A bit up and down but it's manageable. Trying to self regulate my emotions instead of running to my gp when I hit a rough patch.

Are you doing the cbt and mindfulness yourself through self learning?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Hi all. I'm quite all over the place the last few days.
    Had minor surgery last week I don't know if it's the effects of the anaesthesia and various meds I've been on the last week or the recovery pain and fatigue.
    Very teary and highly emotional. So fed up of everything.

La.de.da wrote: »
    Hi all. I'm quite all over the place the last few days.
    Had minor surgery last week I don't know if it's the effects of the anaesthesia and various meds I've been on the last week or the recovery pain and fatigue.
    Very teary and highly emotional. So fed up of everything.

Anaesthetics can have a depressive effect. I had minor surgery years ago which I recovered from straight away but I was in a depressive funk for about a month afterwards. Hope you feel better soon.

I'm not too bad. A bit up and down but it's manageable. Trying to self regulate my emotions instead of running to my gp when I hit a rough patch.

Are you doing the cbt and mindfulness yourself through self learning?

Basically yes. They said I know exactly what it all is (been over it countless times with counsellors in theory and reasearched it loads) so it's just a matter of putting it into practise. They habe me some websites and signed me up for a mindfulness class but that'll be a while.

I've been trying that self regulation thing but for me it was with anxity over illness. I was in the gpsevery time soneobe coughed. I've been trying to come back a bit. It's hard work but beginning to get easier. Im sure it will for you too. How are you finding it???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭twill

Hey folks

How long does it take through the public system, what hoops need to be jumped through etc.

You can be referred to an adult psychiatrist, waiting times are generally several months. Many people choose the private route for diagnosis. Aspire Ireland has the names of doctors who will give adult diagnoses. Ring around and you will get an idea of costs. On the low end of the scale, I have heard figures of 200-350, and those are doctors I have heard good things about.

Incidentally, if the person going for diagnosis female, I personally would bear that in mind when choosing a doctor given the more subtle signs in women. That is not to say male doctors wouldn't be up to speed with this,just what I personally would feel comfortable with.

Also, my doctor told me I couldn't be diagnosed on the public system, so there may be a lack of awareness out there.

Hey folks

It can be quite difficult getting a diagnosis as an adult in Ireland for a neuropsychiatric or psychological developmental disorder. The reason being it tends to be assumed if one had the condition or disorder it would have been detected earlier in childhood. Some disorders can often be mistaken for others as there can be a lot of overlap between certain disorders and can sometimes lead to a misdiagnosis. Additionally, with a lot of psychiatric or psychological conditions they are never stand alone and can be a lot of comorbidity.

As another poster mentioned some professionals are not as clued in here even though they might claim expertise in the field. The numbers presenting as adults would be relatively few and certain childhood disorders can present very differently as adults. An adult may have been living with a disorder their whole life unbeknownst to themselves and may have developed different coping strategies over time compensating for certain features and may have an impact on any assessment outcome.

I really don't think there is enough expertise in Ireland within mental health services or psychological services to tease out the intricacies and the interplay of certain conditions especially with co-occurring mental health and neuro psychiatric/psychological conditions. I think the US probably has more expertise in this area and recognise the effects of undiagnosed conditions in adulthood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Haven't been feeling very good for a while (a long time, if I'm honest) - social anxiety, general anxiety, maybe depression too, I don't know. It's hard to tell whether the feelings of depression are circumstantial or something deeper. A lot of things have changed in my life over the last few years and I'm increasingly not coping. I hate 'drama' of any description (fear of drawing attention to myself is a big part of my Social Anxiety), and hate being the centre of attention, so I have a tendency to con people (including myself) into believing everything is okay. This has prevented me from seeking help and has left me a bit isolated. My aversion to drama means that even when I do reach out to a professional (something I haven't done in a couple of years), I have a tendency to play things down - the self-deprecating "I'm okay, really" act takes over every time. And then I feel guilty for leaving them with the perception that I'm a time-waster. Over the years, I've spoken to doctors, psychiatrists, counsellors, cognitive behavioural therapists and been on various medications, but nothing has ever really helped.

I was supposed to have an exam this morning, but I didn't turn up. I had a panic attack late last night and didn't really get any sleep. It's one thing having a panic attack at home, but the fear of hyperventilating/vomiting in front of over a thousand people in a massive exam hall was too much. It doesn't really matter - I've been very unfocused this year, my grades are poor and I'll probably have to repeat the year anyway. I'm a 34-year-old mature student - another wasted year won't do any harm. I just really don't want to mess college up, or find myself with no choice but to drop out. It's literally the only potentially good thing in my life. It's causing me huge anxiety along the way, but I can recognise that the end result is all that matters.

So I plucked up the courage to ring the doctor this morning to make an appointment. Their computer system is down though, so they told me to ring back later. It's very frustrating, pacing around the house, vomiting and trying to build yourself up to make that phone call, only for it all to be a big anticlimax. I'll ring back later and I'll probably get an appointment for Monday or something. I don't hold out a huge amount of hope, but I have to try and do something to fix myself. Again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭readytosnap

RayM wrote: »
    Haven't been feeling very good for a while (a long time, if I'm honest) - social anxiety, general anxiety, maybe depression too, I don't know. It's hard to tell whether the feelings of depression are circumstantial or something deeper. A lot of things have changed in my life over the last few years and I'm increasingly not coping. I hate 'drama' of any description (fear of drawing attention to myself is a big part of my Social Anxiety), and hate being the centre of attention, so I have a tendency to con people (including myself) into believing everything is okay. This has prevented me from seeking help and has left me a bit isolated. My aversion to drama means that even when I do reach out to a professional (something I haven't done in a couple of years), I have a tendency to play things down - the self-deprecating "I'm okay, really" act takes over every time. And then I feel guilty for leaving them with the perception that I'm a time-waster. Over the years, I've spoken to doctors, psychiatrists, counsellors, cognitive behavioural therapists and been on various medications, but nothing has ever really helped.

I was supposed to have an exam this morning, but I didn't turn up. I had a panic attack late last night and didn't really get any sleep. It's one thing having a panic attack at home, but the fear of hyperventilating/vomiting in front of over a thousand people in a massive exam hall was too much. It doesn't really matter - I've been very unfocused this year, my grades are poor and I'll probably have to repeat the year anyway. I'm a 34-year-old mature student - another wasted year won't do any harm. I just really don't want to mess college up, or find myself with no choice but to drop out. It's literally the only potentially good thing in my life. It's causing me huge anxiety along the way, but I can recognise that the end result is all that matters.

So I plucked up the courage to ring the doctor this morning to make an appointment. Their computer system is down though, so they told me to ring back later. It's very frustrating, pacing around the house, vomiting and trying to build yourself up to make that phone call, only for it all to be a big anticlimax. I'll ring back later and I'll probably get an appointment for Monday or something. I don't hold out a huge amount of hope, but I have to try and do something to fix myself. Again.

Except for the student bit you could be talking about me, I don't have any answer for you, I am just telling you that you are not alone in how you are feeling. I cannot talk to anyone, I've been on what I call stupid tablets for years (at least 7yrs) I don't think they help, I am always missing appointments because I do not want to deal with people (even in the waiting room) why bother going if all they want to do is throw more drugs into me?, maybe I do need more drugs but I think I need an outlet someone to talk too, problem is if I ever get to that stage, will I be able to talk? It is a vicious cycle. I hope things improve for you. None of my family know I take medication for depression, none of them even know i have depression, I am afraid to talk about it for fear of dismissal. Here's hoping you feel better soon.

every day is literally a massive effort, all we can do is keep going but when does it get better..

I can identify with a lot of what you said aswell but I think I know where it originated from. From childhood I was placed in a position where I had to suppress my own emotions and needs in favour of adult emotions and needs so it became a learned response and definitely does have an impact on help-seeking behaviour and the not wanting to be seen to create drama. So it can take a long time to build up the courage to reach out but I do think it can be unlearned.

I know you are wondering if contacting the GP will have any result or if it's a futile effort but sometimes just the mere act of doing something as opposed to nothing can create a slight momentum and drive us taking further positive steps. I did laugh slightly (ironically, not malevolently) when you said you finally got the courage to ring and told nobody could deal with and would ring back in a few hours. Been there. Done that. It's like the whole world is conspiring against us at times but you have set the ball in motion now.

Sorry to hear about your exams by the way.

• Advertisement

jezzer wrote: »
    every day is literally a massive effort, all we can do is keep going but when does it get better..

This is my issue. Everyone says if you keep persevering it will get better...... 7 yrs later and its still not any better. Easier (cause we're in a bit more of a stable place) but not better.

twill wrote: »
    You can be referred to an adult psychiatrist, waiting times are generally several months. Many people choose the private route for diagnosis. Aspire Ireland has the names of doctors who will give adult diagnoses. Ring around and you will get an idea of costs. On the low end of the scale, I have heard figures of 200-350, and those are doctors I have heard good things about.

Incidentally, if the person going for diagnosis female, I personally would bear that in mind when choosing a doctor given the more subtle signs in women. That is not to say male doctors wouldn't be up to speed with this,just what I personally would feel comfortable with.

Also, my doctor told me I couldn't be diagnosed on the public system, so there may be a lack of awareness out there.
    Shint0 wrote: »
    It can be quite difficult getting a diagnosis as an adult in Ireland for a neuropsychiatric or psychological developmental disorder. The reason being it tends to be assumed if one had the condition or disorder it would have been detected earlier in childhood. Some disorders can often be mistaken for others as there can be a lot of overlap between certain disorders and can sometimes lead to a misdiagnosis. Additionally, with a lot of psychiatric or psychological conditions they are never stand alone and can be a lot of comorbidity.

As another poster mentioned some professionals are not as clued in here even though they might claim expertise in the field. The numbers presenting as adults would be relatively few and certain childhood disorders can present very differently as adults. An adult may have been living with a disorder their whole life unbeknownst to themselves and may have developed different coping strategies over time compensating for certain features and may have an impact on any assessment outcome.

I really don't think there is enough expertise in Ireland within mental health services or psychological services to tease out the intricacies and the interplay of certain conditions especially with co-occurring mental health and neuro psychiatric/psychological conditions. I think the US probably has more expertise in this area and recognise the effects of undiagnosed conditions in adulthood.
    Thank you both for your helpful replies and information.

How many appointments generally do you need with a psychiatrist and is the them who diagnoses it or another health professional?

Do you know where on the Aspire website they have the list of doctors as I can't seem to find it?

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭twill

Thank you both for your helpful replies and information.

How many appointments generally do you need with a psychiatrist and is the them who diagnoses it or another health professional?

Do you know where on the Aspire website they have the list of doctors as I can't seem to find it?

Not sure how many appointments would be needed, I think it can vary. The psychiatrist (some psychologists specialise in this area too) would make the diagnosis.

Look for assessment and diagnosis - contact a professional on the Aspire website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Keane2baMused

Hey folks

I know of a psychiatrist who can assess and diagnose adults for ASD / co-morbid disorders.

He's very reasonable also in comparison to many others.

If you want his name feel free to message me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Where do ppl get the energy??
    That is a marvellous question. I eat as much if not more than the people I know and I'm a mess after a couple of hours. I was "on" for three hours this evening in the pub this evening and the second I walked out of there I crashed. Mess.

• Advertisement
Advertisement