Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Anyone any recommendations for decent private physciatrists? The two I’ve contacted both have wait lists well into new year

You could try the Dean clinics?

https://www.stpatricks.ie/care-treatment/outpatient-clinics/about-the-dean-clinics

Waiting lists might not be great but perhaps not as bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭LonelyBoy84

wexie wrote: »
    You could try the Dean clinics?

https://www.stpatricks.ie/care-treatment/outpatient-clinics/about-the-dean-clinics

Waiting lists might not be great but perhaps not as bad.

Went to GP (loccum in place of my usual). He made referral to private psychiatrist I asked, just to get me on waiting list even. Hopefully when it comes around I won’t feel the need to avail of the appointment!

He made some interesting points. Specifically that if anxiety is brought about by significant life stress & change, it typically resolves itself within 13 months as a person adjusts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Went to GP (loccum in place of my usual). He made referral to private psychiatrist I asked, just to get me on waiting list even. Hopefully when it comes around I won’t feel the need to avail of the appointment!

He made some interesting points. Specifically that if anxiety is brought about by significant life stress & change, it typically resolves itself within 13 months as a person adjusts

I found that reading stuff helps enormously too. Like, for me, Impostor syndrome is a major thing for me-always this feeling of not 'being equal' or getting soft or preferential treatment.
    It's something that's sort of dogged me my whole life, tbh.
    It's strange too-I can put a ton of work into something, and then just feel inadequate.
    Unfortunately, if it doesn't pass after 13 months or so, it can get worse. It means adjustment just isn't happening.
    :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭henryforde80

Found myself going for pints at 11 tonight as was bored with everything. Just home with 7 pints gone. Do people have a crutch here instead of booze?

Found myself going for pints at 11 tonight as was bored with everything. Just home with 7 pints gone. Do people have a crutch here instead of booze?

I enjoy a beer or two, most often go out for the weekend. Sometimes I'm tired as hell, so I grab a beer or glass of spirits and just sit there and watch Youtube videos.

As for other crutches-video games, grabbing a sheet of paper and just writing down stuff that's bothering me. Making a list of groceries or stuff I plan to get done. The internet has become a crutch, tbh. One I'm trying to break.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Dots2018

I have GAD. Been absent the last couple of years but it crept back over the summer. Sleep starting to be affected, which always makes things worse.

Heading into a busy period in work and need to get a handle on it. I can't afford private sessions. Has anyone tried using an EAP? How does it work and is it simple and confidential?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Two things, one: old fashioned values don't really hold up to scrutiny in current conditions at times with the ongoing evolution of society and general modernisation
    Two: Religion/reverence are not always part of a person's life and even if they are do not promise fulfillment
    I think you are confusing evolution with devolution.

Of course religious ritual are not part of everyone's life. There are a lot of atheists in the world.

Dots2018 wrote: »
    I have GAD. Been absent the last couple of years but it crept back over the summer. Sleep starting to be affected, which always makes things worse.

Heading into a busy period in work and need to get a handle on it. I can't afford private sessions. Has anyone tried using an EAP? How does it work and is it simple and confidential?

I think for the most part it's confidential-if you need time off, they may talk to your employer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

It's quite tough to stay positive when your physical health is taking a battering.

It's been continuously one thing after another. Rounds of antibiotics and painkillers.

My mind and diet have been the best they've been for a long time just need the body to catch up. Want to get back to exercise and being relatively active. It's very frustrating

Just needed to vent/rant.

La.de.da wrote: »
    It's quite tough to stay positive when your physical health is taking a battering.

It's been continuously one thing after another. Rounds of antibiotics and painkillers.

My mind and diet have been the best they've been for a long time just need the body to catch up. Want to get back to exercise and being relatively active. It's very frustrating

Just needed to vent/rant.

Make sure to keep your doctor up to date too. My uncle's wife was getting rounds of anti-biotics, and painkillers, and they really took a toll physically. Some serious health issues and hospital stays, with her having to be switched from one doctor to another because the treatment wasn't working or having a serious affect on her physically.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Make sure to keep your doctor up to date too. My uncle's wife was getting rounds of anti-biotics, and painkillers, and they really took a toll physically. Some serious health issues and hospital stays, with her having to be switched from one doctor to another because the treatment wasn't working or having a serious affect on her physically.

Thanks for replying and concerns. My immune system is pretty low. Have to do a lot of self care once this infection is under control.
    I'm exhausted.

La.de.da wrote: »
    Thanks for replying and concerns. My immune system is pretty low. Have to do a lot of self care once this infection is under control.
    I'm exhausted.

No probs. :) Infections are the worst, had a chest infection a few years back, and yeah, even when you're 'recovered' you're gonna have to mind yourself for weeks after-even a change in the weather and you can feel drained after.
    Self care was vital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Mandown

Dying with a chest infection all day trying to stay positive and not sulk in the bed all day and remind myself how good itll feel when it clears lol

Mandown wrote: »
    Dying with a chest infection all day trying to stay positive and not sulk in the bed all day and remind myself how good itll feel when it clears lol

Aw jeez. Get well soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

Last night was going fine. The girl that I am interested in, who I have mentioned before, was there. I made the effort to chat to her.

All was going well chat-wise, and I apologised to her for any trouble that I caused her, given the opportunity. It was simply responded to with "stop," as if she didn't want to hear it?

Yes, I am still interested in her, and one of the lads knows this. However, on a couple of occasions, he told me it wasn't going to happen. Been there, done that sort of thing. Part of me thinks something may happen there.

While I thought things went ok, I was informed that she had told him and one or two others that I was freaking her out, that I kept trying to follow her, and it was obvious that I am still interested in her. He told be to "chill."

Maybe I missed something, or wasn't thinking, but I know it wasn't my intention to freak her out. See, she had no issue chatting to me, and the conversation was better than last time.

The guy's words, though, hit me. I was going to just walk out of the venue without saying anything. But, it was one of the girl's birthday drinks, so I couldn't leave without saying goodbye to her. I just left early! I said nothing to her upon leaving.

So, on the way home, things just played in my head, I had broken sleep, and I have had this heaviness in my chest.

I know it seems daft to be just concentrating on one person. There were girls I could have tried chatting up (and, I think I had a missed opportunity a couple of weeks ago), but I just couldn't.

I'm sorry to go on about this, but it's just the way things hit me last night. Part of me now feels that I can't attend events, if she is going to be there, as I know it will just get to me. Which is a shame, of course, as the rest of the gang are great. And, I have severed ties with those remaining that have ignored me of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CakeLumps

I've mentioned before on this that I struggle with depression and anxiety, and that I'm getting help. But it's all becoming too much for me. And I think it's my work that's making me worse.

I work in a joyless retail company, and am constantly anxious, dreading going into work, and even tense and on edge before and after work, even on days off. Management is very biased and sometimes not approachable at all. Its gotten so bad for me that in the last few months, I've thought I'd rather get hurt than do another day. And it's at a stage where I'd nearly cut my wrists open just so I wouldn't have to work, and not because of my thoughts. (Although I know I would never do it)

I really just hate it, I cry in the place nearly every day and if not, I have to stop myself from crying. I just feel like I'm at the end of the rope. And don't know what to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

CakeLumps wrote: »
    I've mentioned before on this that I struggle with depression and anxiety, and that I'm getting help. But it's all becoming too much for me. And I think it's my work that's making me worse.

I work in a joyless retail company, and am constantly anxious, dreading going into work, and even tense and on edge before and after work, even on days off. Management is very biased and sometimes not approachable at all. Its gotten so bad for me that in the last few months, I've thought I'd rather get hurt than do another day. And it's at a stage where I'd nearly cut my wrists open just so I wouldn't have to work, and not because of my thoughts. (Although I know I would never do it)

I really just hate it, I cry in the place nearly every day and if not, I have to stop myself from crying. I just feel like I'm at the end of the rope. And don't know what to do

Definitely sounds like that that is not the place for you to work.

what are your options in leaving?

Even if you put a date in the calendar of, say, Christmas to finish up there, it might make it easier to get through because you know it's only for x amount of time.

Trebor176 wrote: »
    Last night was going fine. The girl that I am interested in, who I have mentioned before, was there. I made the effort to chat to her.

All was going well chat-wise, and I apologised to her for any trouble that I caused her, given the opportunity. It was simply responded to with "stop," as if she didn't want to hear it?

Yes, I am still interested in her, and one of the lads knows this. However, on a couple of occasions, he told me it wasn't going to happen. Been there, done that sort of thing. Part of me thinks something may happen there.

While I thought things went ok, I was informed that she had told him and one or two others that I was freaking her out, that I kept trying to follow her, and it was obvious that I am still interested in her. He told be to "chill."

Maybe I missed something, or wasn't thinking, but I know it wasn't my intention to freak her out. See, she had no issue chatting to me, and the conversation was better than last time.

The guy's words, though, hit me. I was going to just walk out of the venue without saying anything. But, it was one of the girl's birthday drinks, so I couldn't leave without saying goodbye to her. I just left early! I said nothing to her upon leaving.

So, on the way home, things just played in my head, I had broken sleep, and I have had this heaviness in my chest.

I know it seems daft to be just concentrating on one person. There were girls I could have tried chatting up (and, I think I had a missed opportunity a couple of weeks ago), but I just couldn't.

I'm sorry to go on about this, but it's just the way things hit me last night. Part of me now feels that I can't attend events, if she is going to be there, as I know it will just get to me. Which is a shame, of course, as the rest of the gang are great. And, I have severed ties with those remaining that have ignored me of late.

Trebor176, that all sounds very exhausting. Also, it seems to me (purely my opinion) that now that others are talking to you about whether or not this person might be interested in you, you are always going to be paying attention to others views and words.

A relationship is difficult enough with just 2 without trying to listen to several others opinions on it.

Could you ask this girl out with the view that whether she says yes or no, you will accept her answer and only focus on her words.

Could you try to meet someone outside of your current circle so that it is just between you and them, without others influencing it at the start.

Trebor176, that all sounds very exhausting. Also, it seems to me (purely my opinion) that now that others are talking to you about whether or not this person might be interested in you, you are always going to be paying attention to others views and words.

A relationship is difficult enough with just 2 without trying to listen to several others opinions on it.

Could you ask this girl out with the view that whether she says yes or no, you will accept her answer and only focus on her words.

Could you try to meet someone outside of your current circle so that it is just between you and them, without others influencing it at the start.

I think Trebor has already had something with this girl but she is no longer interested.

@Trebor, I know you mentioned on here before that you were attending a therapist for support regarding a previous relationship you had. Would you consider going back? It seems that you're fixating a bit again. Please try for some perspective here. I know what its like to be rejected and the disappointment of your hopes not panning out. Thing is though it doesn't matter what you say or do. If that woman or that man isn't interested then thats the end of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

My absences due to my depression/anxiety cost me a promotion- feeling crap this weekend spent most of it in bed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 CakeLumps

Definitely sounds like that that is not the place for you to work.

what are your options in leaving?

Even if you put a date in the calendar of, say, Christmas to finish up there, it might make it easier to get through because you know it's only for x amount of time.

I do want to leave, and this is the killer, I'm actually on good pay, and will receive a bonus end of November, which I need as I am trying to apply for college in 2019. So I feel very torn and fed up. I'm afraid if I leave I won't be able to go to college, and if I stay I could do something bad. I feel stuck.

I don't know what to do

CakeLumps wrote: »
    I do want to leave, and this is the killer, I'm actually on good pay, and will receive a bonus end of November, which I need as I am trying to apply for college in 2019. So I feel very torn and fed up. I'm afraid if I leave I won't be able to go to college, and if I stay I could do something bad. I feel stuck.

I don't know what to do

Have you spoken to your GP? YOu should tell them the effect that your job is having on you and take their advice.

We can all feel stressed at work from time to time and very few people truly love their job, but, the extent of discomfort you are feeling is excessive. Is it possible that the job is adding to problems you are having and it is all piling up or do you think your discomfort is solely to do with your work?

You need help dealing with this and as I said, I would start with your GP.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭aluminium

Just an update on my last post here, During the week dr., increased my lexapro from 10mg to 20. So side effects have started all over again. A month now of brain wrecking side effects.
    I still haven't told anyone. Although its very hard to come up with excuses for the agitation and jitteryness. Cant hide that.

aluminium wrote: »
    Just an update on my last post here, During the week dr., increased my lexapro from 10mg to 20. So side effects have started all over again. A month now of brain wrecking side effects.
    I still haven't told anyone. Although its very hard to come up with excuses for the agitation and jitteryness. Cant hide that.

I've had similar experiences-sometimes it's cold sweats, other times it was restless leg. Some times its vivid dreams.

It's best to talk them out-I used to have a few side effects, and it was often embarrassing. But the more I explained stuff out, as well as discussing with my family and close friends how I was still adjusting to medication, it lessened the worry of it.

You don't even have to give details-antibiotics can have similar side effects. (I had to make that excuse one time as to why I wasn't drinking. I was adjusting to medication, and while I could drink, I didn't feel up to it at the time. Had just had wisdom teeth out, so made the excuse I was on anti-biotics).

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭aluminium

I've had similar experiences-sometimes it's cold sweats, other times it was restless leg. Some times its vivid dreams.

It's best to talk them out-I used to have a few side effects, and it was often embarrassing. But the more I explained stuff out, as well as discussing with my family and close friends how I was still adjusting to medication, it lessened the worry of it.

You don't even have to give details-antibiotics can have similar side effects. (I had to make that excuse one time as to why I wasn't drinking. I was adjusting to medication, and while I could drink, I didn't feel up to it at the time. Had just had wisdom teeth out, so made the excuse I was on anti-biotics).

Its the restless legs sitting in a room full of people. other ones i can hide. I was run over earlier in the year - hospital job smashed both arms Ill be out of work for up to a year. Im self employed- so no income. I felt normal once, want to get back there.......

aluminium wrote: »
    Its the restless legs sitting in a room full of people. other ones i can hide. I was run over earlier in the year - hospital job smashed both arms Ill be out of work for up to a year. Im self employed- so no income. I felt normal once, want to get back there.......

Oh damn, I'm so sorry to hear about your accident. Yeah, I was terrible for restless leg-like, seriously bad with it. I could rock a table with my knee.

Normal is over-rated. :) Every experience changes us, to be honest. It will take time, unfortunately. But you can get back there.
    Focus on the day by day, hard as it can be to do so. Hope things improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Struggling badly with anxiety today, no appetite so just got a coffee for lunch. Not sure what to do but I'll need to ring a helpline when I get home

Has anyone any tips for dealing with severe morning anxiety? I'm struggling big time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Has anyone any tips for dealing with severe morning anxiety? I'm struggling big time

I guess it depends on what it is that brings on the anxiety, ie are you anxious about something in particular or just in general.

Establish a routine
    Give yourself plenty of time
    Make sure you eat something, even if it's just a piece of toast (even if you don't feel hungry, maybe even especially so. It's something I'm struggling with but food and hydration have a big impact on anxiety I've noticed)
    Maybe stay off caffeine (another one I'm struggling with myself :( )

Lots of little things we can do to help ourselves, the trick is to actually do them, and do them often enough to actually make a difference.

• Advertisement

wexie wrote: »
    I guess it depends on what it is that brings on the anxiety, ie are you anxious about something in particular or just in general.

Establish a routine
    Give yourself plenty of time
    Make sure you eat something, even if it's just a piece of toast (even if you don't feel hungry, maybe even especially so. It's something I'm struggling with but food and hydration have a big impact on anxiety I've noticed)
    Maybe stay off caffeine (another one I'm struggling with myself :( )

Lots of little things we can do to help ourselves, the trick is to actually do them, and do them often enough to actually make a difference.

Thanks for your reply. It's just general anxiety facing the day ahead, I'm keeping hydrated and decaffeinated. Would you recommend a helpline that I could talk to someone?

Advertisement