Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

I have wicked troubles getting to sleep often tossing and turning for hours. Earliest I've nodded off is 4am the last few weeks.

Ergo my body clock is out of sync to everyone else. I need at least 7 hours. No matter what I've been trying to fix this pattern it doesn't work.

The last few weeks have been shít. Trying a better diet, trying to exercise. Shattered.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭aluminium

Yeah, it can be similar for me. I can wake up, then fall asleep, then wake up again.

I sometimes have moments where it's like, I can't face the day-and I should get up, but don't. Like. I end up feeling inadequate, a complete failure. So I stay in bed.

Woke up at 3, head started running off on its own, took a couple of xanax, last time I looked at the clock was 4.45.

As yesterday was a nice day, I went out for fresh air. I walked the two hundred yards to the shop for a packet of smokes.

I can open the post in the morning now without procrastination. Hoping I can get through the phone calls today . Or better still I hope my phone does not ring.

Just started a course of Prozac after never been on anything. Also been given librium for night time until the Prozac takes effect (could be a couple of weeks apparently).

Feeling very lightheaded and dizzy most the day. Is that normal?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Just started a course of Prozac after never been on anything. Also been given librium for night time until the Prozac takes effect (could be a couple of weeks apparently).

Yeah totally for a few days as you adjust, did you read the literature with the medication, if not do so..
    Anything unusual that doesn't appear on that then contact your doc. In my experience every time a medication was started or the level adjusted I would take up to a week to settle down.. Usually felt a bit foggy or spaces.. Hope it works out for you.

Drs usually prescribe low dose first so If you dont notice a change go back and tell the doctor, he will either change or up the dose.

Alot of people stop taking the tablets because of the initial side effects. You have to give them a chance. So expect the side effects for up to 6 weeks. Leaflets will tell you this.

• Advertisement

aluminium wrote:
    Alot of people stop taking the tablets because of the initial side effects. You have to give them a chance. So expect the side effects for up to 6 weeks. Leaflets will tell you this.

I'll give it a read. Thanks guys. Getting married on Monday week. Hoping the "fog" lifts a bit before then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

I'll give it a read. Thanks guys. Getting married on Monday week. Hoping the "fog" lifts a bit before then

I have been on antidepressants for years... Side effects usually disappear after 3-4 weeks. But some will disappear sooner. Give it time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭Shpud2

Finding myself looking back at the past a lot today. I know I shouldn't because it's really upsetting but I struggle to move on. Don't know how to forget.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 john343

Heard on the radio recently that Ireland has the highest cases of depression in the EU, 1 in 8 people will suffer apparently....

john343 wrote: »
    Heard on the radio recently that Ireland has the highest cases of depression in the EU, 1 in 8 people will suffer apparently....

Is it any wonder when you see who our role models are

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 john343

aluminium wrote: »

Yeah very true, its very demoralising seeing the carry on in this country...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

john343 wrote:
    aluminium wrote:
    john343 wrote:
    Yeah very true, its very demoralising seeing the carry on in this country...

Come on guys. There's lots of very impressive people in this country.

There's some bad eggs, but overall there are plenty who set a good example. Look at the O'Donovan brothers in rowing, or the school children in Mullingar who were in the news last week.

Surely you can name 1 Irish person who you are impressed by.

I don't mean to be forceful here, just think this is something relatively easy to be positive about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Good luck everyone getting through the fireworks.
    My blood pressure was over where I should be ringing 999 because of anxiety and to talk to the person and ask to stop it went to the stage I could not speak right.
    It was not anger that lost my voice.

Come on guys. There's lots of very impressive people in this country.

There's some bad eggs, but overall there are plenty who set a good example. Look at the O'Donovan brothers in rowing, or the school children in Mullingar who were in the news last week.

Surely you can name 1 Irish person who you are impressed by.

I don't mean to be forceful here, just think this is something relatively easy to be positive about.

I dont mean to be pessimistic, but we all cant think of a field full of daiseys blowing in the wind and the feel good.

Lets look at the last week, Dave Taylor, Callinan, Naughton, (dont get me going on the pensions), last nights bitch feast of a debate, those responsible for the cervical smear scandal, and thats just the last few days!!!!!

Perhaps this is a conversation for "After Hours", but.............

aluminium wrote:
    I dont mean to be pessimistic, but we all cant think of a field full of daiseys blowing in the wind and the feel good.

Perhaps this is a conversation for "After Hours", but.............

You are absolutely correct the "who do we use as a role model part of the debate" is for after hours and there are plenty things in the news to feel low about but, I think considering the effect of pessimism is worth touching on here.

It is not easy, and I'm not suggesting in any way dancing and skipping along the road but, to still acknowledge that there are people in Ireland to be impressed by or to be optimistic about.

I understand deeply the effect of depression on moral but I think it's important to even attempt to identify something or someone optimistic, even if we think there's so much wrong out there. I think this because trying to identify that person is us attempting to take a step towards positivity, even if we are consumed by the negative thoughts again just a few seconds later.

For example. Yes, the cervical scandal is horrific, but, irrespective of whether or not she should be in this position, Vicky Phelan has definitely shown herself to be a decent role model in how she has and continues to carry herself.

I'm not targeting you aluminum, or belittling the negativity you feel, I'm just adding my 2 cents on the topic.

You are absolutely correct the "who do we use as a role model part of the debate" is for after hours and there are plenty things in the news to feel low about but, I think considering the effect of pessimism is worth touching on here.

It is not easy, and I'm not suggesting in any way dancing and skipping along the road but, to still acknowledge that there are people in Ireland to be impressed by or to be optimistic about.

I understand deeply the effect of depression on moral but I think it's important to even attempt to identify something or someone optimistic, even if we think there's so much wrong out there. I think this because trying to identify that person is us attempting to take a step towards positivity, even if we are consumed by the negative thoughts again just a few seconds later.

For example. Yes, the cervical scandal is horrific, but, irrespective of whether or not she should be in this position, Vicky Phelan has definitely shown herself to be a decent role model in how she has and continues to carry herself.

I'm not targeting you aluminum, or belittling the negativity you feel, I'm just adding my 2 cents on the topic.

Thank you for your response. Just to clarify, Vicky Phelan is a good role model however she is also a victim. If we did responsible people in Authority she would not have to adopt the position she now holds (as advocate for the victims of this scandal"

I quote Vicky "‘We’re living in a country where people think they can get away with it at a management level and not be sanctioned" I think that says it all.

With regards to myself, I volunteer with a kids group, weekly meetings with the kids, adult meetings once a month, and then take kids away for weekends or day trips, not to mention time spent training to be a successful role model with these kids.

I am lucky that I dont have depression, Im on medication for stress induced anxiety and Panic attacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭trixiebust

Haven't posted here in a while, but just wanted to say hi.

trixiebust wrote:

Hi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

trixiebust wrote: »

Hello :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Hey all, quick question about Aware meetings. I went to my very first one ever this week, it wasn't good, very badly facilitated. I don't want to let this put me off so will try a few more, my question is, do the same facilitators do the same meetings every week or do they move around? I.e. if I go to the same meeting next week, will the same facilitators be there? The problem is, the time/location of this one suits me by far the best ... but one of the facilitators was horrifically unprofessional and ignorant, there's no way I'd have felt safe sharing in the room. (And I'm WELL used to groups, it takes a lot to put me off sharing!)

• Advertisement

Hey all, quick question about Aware meetings. I went to my very first one ever this week, it wasn't good, very badly facilitated. I don't want to let this put me off so will try a few more, my question is, do the same facilitators do the same meetings every week or do they move around? I.e. if I go to the same meeting next week, will the same facilitators be there? The problem is, the time/location of this one suits me by far the best ... but one of the facilitators was horrifically unprofessional and ignorant, there's no way I'd have felt safe sharing in the room. (And I'm WELL used to groups, it takes a lot to put me off sharing!)

Fair play to you for going.

I have given a lot of thought to attending one of these meetings, and like your self I do not have a fear of getting in front of a group. I just do not have the courage to go alone. At the same time, I will not tell anyone about my "condition". So again fair play, you deserve a pat on the back, or in Google parlance "5 stars"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

First counseling session in about 20 years tomorrow. As a kid I despised them, so hoping tomorrow goes better than what I remember.

Really nervous though. And have to get through a full day of work before hand, and I know all I will be thinking about is that happening afterwards.

TG1 wrote:
    Really nervous though. And have to get through a full day of work before hand, and I know all I will be thinking about is that happening afterwards.

Best of luck.

Don't expect too much from it, you or the therapist. It's all about seeing do ye click tomorrow.

Well done on making the appointment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

TG1 wrote: »
    First counseling session in about 20 years tomorrow. As a kid I despised them, so hoping tomorrow goes better than what I remember.

Best of luck. Look on it as the start of a new chapter.

• hello everyone!

hello everyone!

Hello. Welcome.

hello everyone!

Hi :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Short rant ahead.

Why oh why can i not take my damn meds when i need them most?? Mood has been very bad stability wise lately and anytime it dips badly i pretty much purposely ignore my meds.. Just argued with myself for the last hour to take them.. They were six feet away from me.. What contrary arseholeness is this on my part.. ARGH :mad:

Short rant ahead.

Why oh why can i not take my damn meds when i need them most?? Mood has been very bad stability wise lately and anytime it dips badly i pretty much purposely ignore my meds.. Just argued with myself for the last hour to take them.. They were six feet away from me.. What contrary arseholeness is this on my part.. ARGH :mad:

Did you take them though? I hope you did. I understand what it's like but look at it this way, you've acknowledged you need them.

And you've probably expended more energy writing that post than you would have taking your meds.

• Advertisement

Oh i took them before i ranted it's just one of those contrary parts of my nature that bugs the crap out of me.. Been on meds years, they work, i just have this self destructive thing about me..

Advertisement