Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Me too but unfortunately can't self medicate with the captain because of my liver. Hoping the fog lifts before the wedding on Monday.

It's weird. I'm so happy to be getting married and apart from the aul self inflicted liver issue, I've a good life. Just can't stop the mind racing or clear the head from the "noises".

Going to chalk this one down to just a bad day. Tomorrow will be better.

Some times I write down how s**t I feel, and also the problems, or the thoughts that are raging in my head. It's a simple 'grab a pen and paper' thing that I read about when dealing with my OCD. A friend is bipolar, and he does a similar thing with a journal.
    It can be anything, even just a little image or whatever.

When my aunt was sick with cancer, she had a ton of worries-everything from her children, to her husband, to the treatment not working. A friend offered council, and told her to 'write every worry down, every problem-write it on a piece of paper, then throw it in the fire'.

• ugh. Depression is being really bad lately now to top it off my asthma is acting up. Jeez way to add insult to injury

Had a particularily troublesome stomach today-wondering if the worry of going to my GP or something else made things worse. (Or it was something I ate). Had an issue with something I ate yesterday, and it kept me up ll night with an upset, 'disgruntled stomach'.
    Today was a day in bed, while I tried to rest it off. Ugh.

Sometimes when I worry, my stomach does somersaults, and ends up upset. Wondering that played into it.
    ugh. Depression is being really bad lately now to top it off my asthma is acting up. Jeez way to add insult to injury

Are you sure it's asthma? It might very well be a panic attack, a mild one, but still. I don't have asthma, but when I'm troubled, I find my breathing gets very tight, and 'choky'.It might be happening to you too.
    Just a thought, if you're worried tho, talk to your GP.

• Yeah, it’s asthma. Chest infection. :rolleyes: when it rains it pours I suppose

Yeah, it’s asthma. Chest infection. :rolleyes: when it rains it pours I suppose

Ouch...ugh, get well soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭Shpud2

Halloween may be over but that doesn't mean I'm not being haunted by the ghosts of my past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Shpud2 wrote: »
    Halloween may be over but that doesn't mean I'm not being haunted by the ghosts of my past.

While I can empathize what that.....do make sure you're interpreting what they are saying correctly, maybe they're telling you to forgive and move on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

I've made a decision to come off the meds, because they just no longer work plain and simple, even though I'm on like 6x the original dosage that I was originally on, which did work at the time, but now even the 6x dosage doesn't do anything. Any effects are either non existent or so minimal that they may as well be non existent. I told my doc they wouldn't work when she upped the dosage, didn't bother listening to me. Drugs, drugs, drugs, drugs, drugs, that's her attitude. If I go back, all she'll do is up the dosage again. So pardon my French but fkcu that sideways.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Jaxxx, if you are coming off meds, do it under supervision, slowly.. Side-effects/withdrawals are very tough sometimes, go easy on yourself..

wexie wrote: »
    While I can empathize what that.....do make sure you're interpreting what they are saying correctly, maybe they're telling you to forgive and move on?
    No it was nothing like that it was my past being used against me once again.

• Advertisement

Shpud2 wrote: »
    No it was nothing like that it was my past being used against me once again.

Know the feeling-some times you just gotta sit there and let the excrement flow over you. Other times... yeah, it's just...feelings of inadequacy flow over you.
    I get them all-they pretty much all come at me, and even with my therapist, it's like, all about developing coping mechanisms.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭crazy_kenny

I’ve been an anxiety sufferer since my late teens and have been on and off medication to treat it. Im 36 now and made the decision 3 years ago to stop taking the meds altogether. I exercised regularly and ate foods linked to improving mental health. This worked for a while but this year has been a struggle.

I was reluctant to go back on the meds and I saw this report about cbd oil and the benefits for treating anxiety. I ordered cbd oil based chewing gum online and they arrived in a couple of days. I have been taking one daily for a couple of weeks now and they are definitely easing my anxiety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Stupid brain!!

:(

• wexie wrote: »
    Stupid brain!!

:(

Preach it from the rooftops!

Do you ever feel like the whole world is against you?
    Do you feel empty?
    Feeling so worthless and out of it tonight :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CakeLumps

I finished up my CBT sessions just over a month ago, and at first I was feeling fine. Nearly even good! There was a time where I'd look in a mirror and not be completely revolted with what I see! But now, not even in the last week, I have been feeling like my old self: lazy, over emotional to the point of apathetic, useless. And now I'm starting hate mirrors even more now. I tried dieting and exercising, but I just keep making excuses not to do them.

And half the time I feel like the medication I'm on (Sertraline Bluefish 100mg) isn't working in a good way (I can feel the side effects no problem: acid reflux, wide awake, and even nausea at times) I'm starting to get back to the point where I felt nothing was ever good. And I really don't know what to do

• Shpud2 wrote: »
    Do you ever feel like the whole world is against you?
    Do you feel empty?
    Feeling so worthless and out of it tonight :(

Hope you’re feeling better!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

CakeLumps wrote: »
    I finished up my CBT sessions just over a month ago, and at first I was feeling fine. Nearly even good! There was a time where I'd look in a mirror and not be completely revolted with what I see! But now, not even in the last week, I have been feeling like my old self: lazy, over emotional to the point of apathetic, useless. And now I'm starting hate mirrors even more now. I tried dieting and exercising, but I just keep making excuses not to do them.

And half the time I feel like the medication I'm on (Sertraline Bluefish 100mg) isn't working in a good way (I can feel the side effects no problem: acid reflux, wide awake, and even nausea at times) I'm starting to get back to the point where I felt nothing was ever good. And I really don't know what to do

I did DBT a few years ago and i also slumped badly a few months after. For me it was because i didn't keep up with the mindful excercises, used them occasionally when needed but not enough..
    Forgot my own thought patterns and just went back to same old self destructive patterns.. Managed to get talking to a facilitator on the course who saw me a few times to try get it back into place. That doesn't mean it's all roses, it's hard and i still fail to recognise a lot of things but it's helped to keep in practice most days..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 206 ✭✭JustAYoungLad

Its been a year and a half since my girlfriend died. I havent been with anyone since. Sometimes i feel crushingly lonely. Im not interested in anyone or seems anything for that matter. I used to live. Like really live but these days im mostly moping around. I hope to get out of this some day and find someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Cleopatra_

I've never posted here before.

I'm thinking of all of ye that are struggling this evening and hoping that you find some comfort.

Feeling completely alone in this world, even though I know there are people I can reach out to, I can't escape the feeling all the same.

• Advertisement

Hi Cleopatra, welcome. Loneliness is a kind of recurring thing here.. People just sometimes get that way, hope you can find some comfort here..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Cleopatra_

Hi Cleopatra, welcome. Loneliness is a kind of recurring thing here.. People just sometimes get that way, hope you can find some comfort here..

Thanks for the welcome Grem. Not that I'd want anyone else to feel lonely but it's nice to know others feel the same.

Cleopatra_ wrote: »
    Thanks for the welcome Grem. Not that I'd want anyone else to feel lonely but it's nice to know others feel the same.

Welcome Cleo. It sucks to have mental illness, but here we all are. There's this feeling of your brain being this 'trickster' and it's hard to shake.

The loneliness is horrible, but I think the majority of us understand the feeling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I've never posted here before.

I'm thinking of all of ye that are struggling this evening and hoping that you find some comfort.

Feeling completely alone in this world, even though I know there are people I can reach out to, I can't escape the feeling all the same.

I was trying to think of something I could write here to make you feel better, and honestly, there isn't much which I'm sure you haven't heard before.

One thing I can say is that hateful and all as that sense of loneliness is, it does serve to enhance the emotions when you do feel better and connect with someone because you recognize truly how special that is. Depression/loneliness can move in waves, hopefully when you felt as you did above, it was the lowest point of your wave and things get better for you.

Completely coincidentally and after I clicked on your post to respond, I saw this tweet which made me smile and made me think just how many of us could do with something like this every day (even though as adults it might make many feel uncomfortable).

https://twitter.com/Miss_Howley/status/1062389065956450309

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I shed a tear as your words struck me deep
    While I’m ok right now , at times feel life is too steep
    For me to climb , to hold on or even to breath
    Perhaps its because I live in county Meath

I joke of course because our pain is not funny, I know,
    But sometimes I need to change my thoughts that takes me places I don’t want to go
    In here I know strangers where my loneliness can try and work itself out
    Because out there in the real world I am quiet but just want to shout

I know I stretched a few verses there but I’ve been doing ok of late and did shed a little tear for you there. Took me back to places I haven’t been to in awhile. I can identify with that loneliness you mentioned. I can still feel Very alone in the company of some of the closest people in my life.

But coming here and reaching out for help and support (even when I didn’t want to) has, over time, reduced my loneliness and hopeless state that left me in dark spots. How I feel is not necessarily a real reflection of my life. It’s one thing logically knowing that but it’s taken me time to feel it. Keep coming back Cleo, there are some great people here who will always try to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

The feelings loneliness and emptiness are so difficult. Along with that comes the self doubt and that little voice in the back of my mind that says.... you're not good enough.

Look after yourselves lads, one day at a time.....one foot in front of the other xx

La.de.da wrote: »
    The feelings loneliness and emptiness are so difficult. Along with that comes the self doubt and that little voice in the back of my mind that says.... you're not good enough.

Look after yourselves lads, one day at a time.....one foot in front of the other xx

Very true.
    I remember when I was in a very dark place I was sitting at home on my own one evening feeling very isolated and hating the fact that I was on my own and had nothing to do and no one I was close to. My phone screen flashed with a friend calling. I didn't answer it and he sent a message asking did I want to go for a drink that weekend. I didn't respond.

I was looking at the phone, knowing how this was what I was feeling I was missing and yet I couldn't engage. I felt there was no point, it was only temporary relief if I did go, he didn't really want to meet and 1000 other reasons motivated by self doubt.

I know that was the depression talking. I knew it then too but I still couldn't silence it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Feeling very overwhelmed today. Work, personal life, money, family... Everything just seems to be out to get me at the moment.

I have been really good about taking my medication recently, but I suppose it's not a magic wand, these days will happen regardless. But tonight I just want to stop the world for a little bit, to catch my breath again.

Hi all, hope everyone is having a good day and being kind to themselves today. :)

Mod let me know if this is not ok, but I wanted to ask if anyone had a recommendation for a good therapist? I've been looking for ages and it's so hard to find someone good, and I'm struggling a bit at the moment. I'd be looking for someone humanistic & integrative with a good bit of experience, if anyone knows someone they could recommend. Thank you.

• Advertisement

Hi all, hope everyone is having a good day and being kind to themselves today. :)

Mod let me know if this is not ok, but I wanted to ask if anyone had a recommendation for a good therapist? I've been looking for ages and it's so hard to find someone good, and I'm struggling a bit at the moment. I'd be looking for someone humanistic & integrative with a good bit of experience, if anyone knows someone they could recommend. Thank you.

hi sparkinglens.

Finding a good therapist is very subjective in my experience. How you engage with them has massive influence on whether or not you feel comfortable and can listen and learn from what they are saying. It could be demoralising to be told of an excellent therapist according to someone elses opinion and then find that you don't click with them. That could make you feel it was your fault more than it actually is.

I can only suggest that you try going to a couple of therapists without expectation that they are "the one" so to speak. Outline your issues, what you hope to get from seeing a therapist and then ask them to respond and to give guidance. How you react to what they say can be enough to suggest working with one or ruling them out.

I recently started working with a new one. I had phoned a few. One suggested they hadn't experience in the area I wanted to explore. I ruled another out after a phone conversation, I saw one therapist twice before deciding we weren't a good fit for each other and am working with one now for a couple of months. It can take time.

If you've already worked with some but felt they haven't been right for you, maybe you could tell your GP this and and ask them to recommend someone taking your experience to date in to account.

Advertisement