Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭Shpud2

Hey guys. I have an appointment with Pieta House tomorrow and I don't know what to expect. Anyone have and experience with them? I feel so nervous thinking about it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Shpud2 wrote: »
    Hey guys. I have an appointment with Pieta House tomorrow and I don't know what to expect. Anyone have and experience with them? I feel so nervous thinking about it.

Well done on that step, i haven't been personally but have experience with a few close friends who have gone, all report a welcoming, professional and caring service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭Shpud2

lucalux wrote: »
    Hiya,

Well done for taking that step. I hope it helps.
    I've gone to Pieta House before and they were great, honestly a nice experience.

I remember being welcomed and being lead into a nice warm waiting room, with a cup of tea, and a biscuit too. Staff are very friendly. The buildings and consult rooms are clean, comfortable and safe feeling?!

For the first session I remember being introduced to a psychologist who started by going through my general life background, and the more recent issues leading to my seeking help etc. She explained the set-up and answered my questions.

As far as I remember it is 15 sessions in total, not including the initial one.

The Pieta 24hour helpline is great to use at any time, qualified therapists on the line. I'm sure they'd be happy to answer any other questions you had too. It's 1800 247 247.
    I've called them several times which has helped in intense moments.

All the best with it all, hope you get solace from it.
    Well done on that step, i haven't been personally but have experience with a few close friends who have gone, all report a welcoming, professional and caring service.

Well that's good to hear. Feeling so nervous and worried. Don't really want to go but I know I have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 BigWheel

Hi one and all, it's been a while since I posted. Mod pls let me know if this is not ok, but cannot seem to get answers. Have been reccomended ECT as treatment for serious depression. Anyone out there who can give honest reply on side effects & if effective? Hope you are being kind to yourselves folks. Many thanks BW xx Best of luck with Pieta Shpud2.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Moyglish

Recently started attending an occupational therapist and they recommended using the Headspace app to help deal with stress and generalised anxiety.

I know that Headspace offers free subscriptions to a number of mental health charities to offer their clients who are in need and cannot necessarily afford the standard subscription rate.

I was just wondering if anyone in here might have availed of this offer before or know of any organisations in Ireland signed up to this scheme as I'd really love to try it to get a handle on things but funds are very tight atm do I can't really afford the subscription right now.

Would really love to try it out, and hopefully sort myself out, no matter how small.

Thanks for reading this far :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭lucalux

Moyglish wrote: »
    Recently started attending an occupational therapist and they recommended using the Headspace app to help deal with stress and generalised anxiety.

I know that Headspace offers free subscriptions to a number of mental health charities to offer their clients who are in need and cannot necessarily afford the standard subscription rate.

I was just wondering if anyone in here might have availed of this offer before or know of any organisations in Ireland signed up to this scheme as I'd really love to try it to get a handle on things but funds are very tight atm do I can't really afford the subscription right now.

Would really love to try it out, and hopefully sort myself out, no matter how small.

Thanks for reading this far :)

Hiya,
    I completely get you with the subscription costs!

Not sure if they are currently partnered with anyone but
    I think either the Calm app or Headspace, one of them anyway, had partnered with Aware at one stage.

I've emailed both of them to check. I'll post back on here if they get back to me.

Meanwhile maybe try the free trial of one, or both, of those apps? Even without a subscription there are some meditations you can access.

I've used both, and I found them good.
    Headspace is good to learn the techniques of mindfulness. Calm is great for meditation in general. I used it a lot for getting to sleep.

Im so bad at sticking with them though.

Maybe someone else has ideas?
    Hope things look up for you anyway. Best of luck with it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Moyglish

Hi Lucalux,

Thank you for all your help and for such a helpful and friendly reply, especially your PM. I've since replied to that, and I just didn't want to ignore this seeing as you've been so kind :)

Thanks for all your help, and great suggestions above!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Not doing well lately, mix of drained, hopeless, angry and in pain.. Barely keeping my sh1t together

Hi Gremlinertia, stick with it, stay strong and try to tackle things one at a time. I know how you feel, been trying to keep it together myself lately too. Try to do 1 nice small thing you enjoy each day, even if it's having a cup of your favourite tea / coffee, or 10 min out with a book or favourite tv show. I know that sounds weak, but the hope is that small things force you to take a little time out just for you. Its natural to feel drained or angry too, dont beat yourself up about these feelings. Try to get into a proper sleep routine if possible (with Docs help if needs be). Lastly, you are not alone, its been a while since I've posted, but I have seen how kind you have been to others who post. Stay strong, best wishes, BigWheel x

Thank you kindly BigWheel, just getting it off my chest really, worked a lot of extra hours with additional pain problems etc. I'm going to be very nice to myself tomorrow.. Hope you are doing well..

• Advertisement

Hanging in there Grem, been a tough couple of yrs, but found a good medic who isnt giving up on me, so I am trying hard. Enough about me, dont feel bad about letting off some steam, we all, need to & ppl on this thread understand the struggles. Hows the physical health & job front holding up for u, u always seem to be working hard!! Good to hear you will treat yourself ( even if its just to some time ☺), BW

Good to hear you have someone on side, it's so difficult but crucial to managing things..

Funny enough i'm on my third extra shift tonight but then three days off, tomorrow is nothing day, rest, hot chocolate, comfort food and maybe watch something. Storm diana giving me the excuse to remain at home..

Whats the old saying...its an ill wind what doesnt blow somebidy some good (ir someting like that ). Glad you have a couple of days to catch up and get some well earned Grem time ☺. Off to get some zzzzz mtself now, but do take care & mind yourself xx BW

Grem, I meant somebody not somebidy!!!! Lol. Think I may need external keyboard ��. Perhaps I may call you somebuddy instead. Enjoy the day off & stay safe in the storm. Goodnight.

Just about to venture outside! Sleep well, i've been called plenty worse than a biddy! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Hope you feel more at ease soon Grem. A duvet day and treats might be just what you need. :)

I'm thinking so La, batteries are very low of late and the weather coming gives me great excuse to stay put. Hope you are doing ok..

Hi Grem & all of you other good folks out there. I hope your day went ok. Grem, you certainly had a day to stay indoors, hope u had a good day. Best wishes to all xx BigWheel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Feeling a bit overwhelmed with work at the moment. Really trying to remind myself it's only one part of my life but it's tough at the minute. I know myself I'm taking backwards steps after working so hard on myself the last couple of months.

I suppose at least I am aware this time and can try to stop it in it's tracks but right now it's just exhausting trying to hold it together through the day.

Baby steps I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Had my first psychologist appt yesterday- went well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

TG1 wrote: »
    Feeling a bit overwhelmed with work at the moment. Really trying to remind myself it's only one part of my life but it's tough at the minute. I know myself I'm taking backwards steps after working so hard on myself the last couple of months.

I suppose at least I am aware this time and can try to stop it in it's tracks but right now it's just exhausting trying to hold it together through the day.

Baby steps I suppose.

And it is a bad time of year energy wise.... so be kind to yourself please. Eat and rest well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Anyone tried L-theanine and if so what were the results?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭murria

Anyone tried L-theanine and if so what were the results?

My daughter takes it, says it helps massively with her anxiety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,951 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

murria wrote: »

Hi Murria , great to see you post again :)
    Hope all's ok with you and yours ?

Question re the L Tyrosine , son was wanting to try it see if it helps , but is reluctant to do so without a Doctor saying it's ok to take it .
    So I guess my question is did anyone try put your daughter off from trying it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Thank you, I’m going to go get some tomorrow to try

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Graces7 wrote: »
    And it is a bad time of year energy wise.... so be kind to yourself please. Eat and rest well.

Thanks Graces7.

Really struggling today. Anxiety is a real head f**k sometimes. I am so lucky to be where I am in life, and to have the people around me that I do, and I am very aware of that, but today I'm turning away from everyone because I am too tired, too drained, and to stuck in my own head to deal with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭murria

Mam of 4 wrote: »

Question re the L Tyrosine , son was wanting to try it see if it helps , but is reluctant to do so without a Doctor saying it's ok to take it .
    So I guess my question is did anyone try put your daughter off from trying it ?

Hi Mam of 4, good to hear frrom you. She didnt consult with anyone before taking it, someone recommended it to her and they said its as effective as Xanax and non addictive. Its a natural compound found in tea so pretty safe to take. No harm in consulting the doc just to be sure, if your son takes any other medication. Here's a link to info https://www.thesleepdoctor.com/2017/07/11/understanding-l-theanine-sleep-better-night-feel-relaxed-alert-day/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,186 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Having an awful time with health issues am autistic too to boot today I had a very long drawn out meltdown resulting in selfharm I think the crowds in city centre didn't help but **** me I haven't hurt myself in a while now am trying to stay grounded but hate that rediculous situations beyond my control are pulling me back down the dark path trying to formulate a plan is useless as the medical profession won't budge on the treatment plan my existing support are making me justify any of my stances on the situation making matters worse I am still here and I don't know why facing a insurmountable situation that is only going to get worse as nobody me included seems to know what move is next. I ****ing hate being/feeling trapped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,951 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Hi Mam of 4, good to hear frrom you. She didnt consult with anyone before taking it, someone recommended it to her and they said its as effective as Xanax and non addictive. Its a natural compound found in tea so pretty safe to take. No harm in consulting the doc just to be sure, if your son takes any other medication. Here's a link to info https://www.thesleepdoctor.com/2017/07/11/understanding-l-theanine-sleep-better-night-feel-relaxed-alert-day/

Thanks so much for that Murria , definitely worth looking into tbh . And apologies , I was confusing it with L Tyrosine when I asked you about it :o
    Delighted it's helping your daughter , it's almost like winning the lotto when you find something that works isn't it :)
    Will have a chat with son about this , thanks again , stay safe as always :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

TG1 wrote: »
    today I'm turning away from everyone because I am too tired, too drained, and to stuck in my own head to deal with them.

I know that feeling well

*Hugs *

Advertisement