Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Ditto in terms of feeling the exact same. Hopefully not the truth and it's just our minds messing with us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Same.

Also this past year has really opened my eyes that there is no God and definitely no such thing as karma, I know that for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Shadylou

Coming up to the one year anniversary of my friends passing from cancer and I can feel the anxiety building up, am having every symptom of cancer under the sun and am staying up all night. Have spoken to my doctor but they re very dismissive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Shadylou wrote: »
    Coming up to the one year anniversary of my friends passing from cancer and I can feel the anxiety building up, am having every symptom of cancer under the sun and am staying up all night. Have spoken to my doctor but they re very dismissive

You can't get cancer from someone and sleep is the best healer.
    Not for days but a good sleep, well rested.

Shadylou wrote: »

You've been tested and you don't have it?

Be grateful you don't and thankful your not in the same boat as your friend, might help?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Hope my fellow A&Ders got through Xmas ok

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Argh, another thing that happens to me sometimes instead of anxiety I get rage and I am very very angry this morning.

Argh, another thing that happens to me sometimes instead of anxiety I get rage and I am very very angry this morning.

Me too. I just removed myself from the situation

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

It's inside me, much less often than it used to be but very bad at the moment..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Been takin persceibed sleeping tablets and I do feel so much better for having a few good nights sleep in a row. Have to work tomorrow and I'm not keen to take one tonight as I have to drive a bit of a distance in the morning.... but I can also feel the anxiety over work building already and know I will not sleep tonight.

Sleep is my key, if I could get a good nights sleep I could deal with most things life throws at me but recently that hasnt happened without chemical intervention.

• Advertisement

TG1 could you take it earlier than usual so you get a good rest?. So important to be rested heading to work..

TG1 could you take it earlier than usual so you get a good rest?. So important to be rested heading to work..

Thank grem. Did that, now lying wide awake... Ugh. Just can't win with my mind at the moment! Need to be up in three hours so at this point not sure if it's worth even trying to sleep again.

Well try keep your eyes closed for most of the three hours, tired/dry eyes will make you feel worse. Hope it goes ok..

Isn't the brain a mad thing, I accidentally logged into a really old Twitter account and right away a memory popped up and my whole body just went into shock.

Like seeing a name or a photo can literally cause our body to f++k up, the brain is just a crazy thing. My heart sped up, got lightheaded, trembles, couldn't breath... all over seeing one thing for two seconds. I'm still shaking, feel like I'm going to blackout while typing this and I have no idea why...

I wish this would just stop and I could live normal with out a song on the radio, a road, town, even thinking just shuts me down to the point I'm a miserable zombie staring into space, frozen because no matter how hard I try, nothing can ever make me feel as happy or fulfilled as I used to be before everything go so bad. I should be happy, I should be grateful for what I do have but it doesn't matter because the one thing I do want will never be here again.

Really shows how delicate we can be when something inside our minds isn't okay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

We have an old saying. fro m someone who suffered intolerably.. "This too shall pass, "

It will, and there will be happiness again... and forget the "should " word..

Blessings and peace

Feeling a bit low and alone today

Work related stuff has really really got on top of me recently and sundays are hell. Trying to sleep as have an early start but just want to curl in a ball and cry. Nearly wishing the night away so that at least I'll have monday over and done with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭forumdedum

Has anyone used any apps for help dealing with anxiety? Thank you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

forumdedum wrote: »
    Has anyone used any apps for help dealing with anxiety? Thank you

I use headspace and it sometimes helps I think. Basically 10/15 minutes of meditation daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭forumdedum

batgoat wrote: »
    I use headspace and it sometimes helps I think. Basically 10/15 minutes of meditation daily.

Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    Isn't the brain a mad thing, I accidentally logged into a really old Twitter account and right away a memory popped up and my whole body just went into shock.

Like seeing a name or a photo can literally cause our body to f++k up, the brain is just a crazy thing. My heart sped up, got lightheaded, trembles, couldn't breath... all over seeing one thing for two seconds. I'm still shaking, feel like I'm going to blackout while typing this and I have no idea why...

I wish this would just stop and I could live normal with out a song on the radio, a road, town, even thinking just shuts me down to the point I'm a miserable zombie staring into space, frozen because no matter how hard I try, nothing can ever make me feel as happy or fulfilled as I used to be before everything go so bad. I should be happy, I should be grateful for what I do have but it doesn't matter because the one thing I do want will never be here again.

Really shows how delicate we can be when something inside our minds isn't okay.

Very similar here. I wonder if its my mental illness, or is it me?
    The crazy thing about the disease(s)-it can do so much to torment one-like an invisible bully. You at once feel like a criminal, and a failure. Hiding away from the world.

Words can trigger-because they remind me of failure. Or my own mortality.

Damn, the last number of posts I feel like I could have written. Not trying to take away from anyone's problems, more like 'we share a similar situation'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭lucalux

Just wanted to add something to the conversation, for anyone looking to use a meditation or mindfulness app. I highly recommend emailing the support emails of Calm and/or Headspace.

If someone is struggling with finances or maybe can't commit to a subscription right now, they can be really helpful.
    They might be able to offer a discount code or a month free etc.

support @calm.com

help @headspace.com

I have used both Calm and Headspace myself and, like anything else, they can really help when I remember to use them.

Very over 2018 myself. Hope 2019 brings some good to everyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

i suffer with bi polar. all i can say that has worked is tablets. and exercise.

and in found that combo after 32 years of suffering. right meds and excercise.

and in found that combo after 32 years of suffering. right meds and excercise.

Thats exactly what my gp keeps saying to me, good to hear it from someone with personal experience.

Anxiety is at an all time high at the mo. I know already I will struggle to get myself into the office tomorrow but all I can do is try and get on with it.

It really annoys me that I am letting one person get to me so much, I have always been a person who gives as good as I get but for the last while I just havent had the strength or the energy.

tg1 all i can say stay on meds and excerise. also and about. thats the tough think i know but i will say from personal experience of not leaving my house for two years. excercise and the right tablets set the wheels in motion. got out of the house very slowly but i have improved over the years. slow steps. as my best sis would say.

Do you think it's possible to fix your mental health without going near meds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Do you think it's possible to fix your mental health without going near meds?

Yes. Of course. All the following can impact mental health and the quantities of which you can control for the most part.

Alcohol, exercise, meds, talk therapy, diet, sleep.

Challenge is to find the right mix and not to expect one to override issues created by another. For example, if the source of discomfort is a troubling environment including, for example, bullying, then meds alone will not cure it. They might mask it for a while but aside from removing yourself or the source of the problem, talk therapy would likely be a better solution than meds. In my view.

However, if diagnosed with clinical depression, meds are often to the forefront of treatment options, but even so, they do not necessarily have to be considered as a permanent requirement in all cases.

So I'm best off going to see a doctor...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

So I'm best off going to see a doctor...

I would start with your GP, and ask them to effectively coordinate your car, many are comfortable prescribing meds if necessary. And they can be good to assess whether these meds are necessary. They might just immediately refer you to s psychiatrist/psychologist/psychotherapist.

Advertisement