Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

I don't use drugs for anything so I'll avoid that as much if I can...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

The doctor could still refer you to others and start a care plan to see how that goes for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    I don't use drugs for anything so I'll avoid that as much if I can...

That's a fair enough preference. But, would you advise a diabetic to not take their drugs?

I would think (but not qualified to state) that the majority of mental health issues are dealt with without medications. However, sometimes meds are required to stabilise mood or to improve form so that other forms of treatment can be attempted (talking, exercise, sleep etc).

All I would say with conviction is that if you trust your Dr, heed their advice and if you do end up on meds, do not alter prescribed dosage unless directed to do so.
    A good doctor will understand your concerns and I expect would only put you on meds if they felt it was absolutely essential. I would expect that they will listen to your concerns and try alternative options first to see if they will work.

That's a fair enough preference. But, would you advise a diabetic to not take their drugs?

I would think (but not qualified to state) that the majority of mental health issues are dealt with without medications. However, sometimes meds are required to stabilise mood or to improve form so that other forms of treatment can be attempted (talking, exercise, sleep etc).

All I would say with conviction is that if you trust your Dr, heed their advice and if you do end up on meds, do not alter prescribed dosage unless directed to do so.
    A good doctor will understand your concerns and I expect would only put you on meds if they felt it was absolutely essential. I would expect that they will listen to your concerns and try alternative options first to see if they will work.

I don't know my doctor, I go like once every few years, I'd have to be dying to go.

I don't know my doctor, I go like once every few years, I'd have to be dying to go.

Well, consider yourself lucky in that respect.

Go and start the conversation. Good luck with it. Acknowledging you need help is the first step.

• Advertisement

Well, consider yourself lucky in that respect.

Go and start the conversation. Good luck with it. Acknowledging you need help is the first step.

I'm not lucky I should be going and people go mad at me for not but I hate them, I'm working on building up courage as I'm ****ed physically too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I read folks describe medication as 'waterwings'. Now, I'm not someone who can swim, but essentially they are armbands, to help us stay afloat.

Some need them for life-whether it be bipolar depression, clinical depression or schizophrenia, or some need them for a short spell. Either way, it can be quite a frustrating experience because every medication has different side effects.
    I know it took a few tries to get mine right-between finding one that worked, and getting the right dosage.

Some need them for life-whether it be bipolar depression, clinical depression or schizophrenia, or some need them for a short spell. Either way, it can be quite a frustrating experience because every medication has different side effects.
    I know it took a few tries to get mine right-between finding one that worked, and getting the right dosage.

It is difficult. Treatment for depression does not take a straight line. Everyone reacts to medication in a slightly different way and their can be many ups and downs in getting better.

But, it is possible. It starts with the first step and trying to have/create/hold on to a belief that things get better. Because they most certainly can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

It is difficult. Treatment for depression does not take a straight line. Everyone reacts to medication in a slightly different way and their can be many ups and downs in getting better.

But, it is possible. It starts with the first step and trying to have/create/hold on to a belief that things get better. Because they most certainly can.

It can-even if you have to live to be 100 just to feel one day of happyness, it will feel like its worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

It's true alright, there's no one size fits all when it comes to treating depression and associated illnesses. I'd rather though , have that pill ( my bandaid) keeping me on a somewhat even keel.

It's the self help part I sabotage. Like diet,sleep and exercise. Staying in my comfort zone......comfort eating....guilt....then comfort eating again. Very hard cycle to break.

I might make it my goal this year to get help to improve those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

La.de.da wrote: »
    self help part I sabotage. Like diet,sleep and exercise. Staying in my comfort zone......comfort eating....guilt....
    I might make it my goal this year to get help to improve those.

Be sure to make those goals really small and broken down.
    For example, if you choose to 'eat well', focus on something like your breakfast habit and routine.
    Taking on too much can have an awful effect as you'll only deem yourself a failure and go back to negative thinking.
    My partner is having trouble but is slowly coming through a good side after a near potentially horrific year just gone.
    Thank you all for posting here on this thread about your own situations, trouble, wins and loses.
    I'm finding it very useful to help her.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

I would say its possible without meds but i think meds allow you to create a platform where you can get better. From my own personal experience with bi polar i was never diagnosed correctly even after telling people i had it. So was never on the right meds. Once i got on the right meds i have only had one bad period which only lasted three weeks. But i was able to deal with it. Got put on an extra different tablet and that sorted it. So i have basically been well for four years. Before that i'd say i was sick half of my life. Even if i was well i probably wasn't but more elated and manic. Horrible illness that can destroy you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

Exercise has been great for me. Doctor told me to keep at it. I run but i think any form of it will help. Also another thing that i think is important. I think getting better is a gradual thing. It takes time. Small things like just meeting someone for a coffee and a chat all adds up in the long term. Take one day at a time and just keep telling oneself i'm going beat this. Anyway this thread is excellent. Happy new year to all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Red Lightning

25 years old and male, suffer from anxiety, OCD and depression.
    The combination of the three is rough. Anxiety has prevented me from doing what I want in life, OCD makes daily activities very frustrating and compulsions are draining and time consuming while the depression and play up from time to time just bringing me down.
    Self confidence and self esteem has always been low. Really like a woman that I'm pretty sure has absolutely no interest in me. Outcome from all that is an individual that's not doing great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Has anyone any wisdom or experience aroud anxiety related insomnia? Really struggling at the moment, I would give a left arm for a solid 6 hours at the moment... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29 alig1234

Had anxiety related insomnia for years and negative self talk and periods of depression on meds for years. Two years ago I start meditation with the
    Calm App. It was so hard to slow my racing mind but in two months I conquered it and I saw huge benefits depression gone sleeping much better and much deeper since. When I stopped meditating the anxiety related insomnia cane bsck. I reduced screen time eliminated depression and have turned from a negative anxious person to a happy positive person who sleeps soundly every night. Ask yourself what % of each day do you live in the moment and increase the %. You will truly see the difference.

TG1 wrote: »
    Has anyone any wisdom or experience aroud anxiety related insomnia? Really struggling at the moment, I would give a left arm for a solid 6 hours at the moment... :(

Yes. I struggled badly with sleep for 7 years. Really badly. Would often only be trying to go to sleep for the first time and the alarm would go off. And then, I'd usually sleep through the alarm.

I was lucky in that I was fairly flexible at work and could go in late without it being a big issue for the most part. But, there were occasions where if I knew I absolutely had to be in for a meeting at say 08:30 or something I just wouldn't go to bed as I wouldn't be confident I'd waken in time.

When I came off the meds for depression, my sleep started to improve but I think it was as much because my mind wasn't racing so much due to the illness than it being a case of the meds keeping me awake.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭lolokeogh

Hi ll 45 years old,depression since around 2003,went through many docs but nothing realy worked out,hit rock bottom last year,can not go outside,anxiety is of the scale,so met up with a doc that has tryed meds,then tryed more meds,and now trying others,realy need to get some sort of life back,trying to get into the local curam mental health place near me,but they keep telling my doc to look afte things,if look out my window and someones outside,i dont go out,if i drive in to my road and someones out i turn around,even boardering on extreme Agoraphobia at times...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

i gave up my meds and started taking CBD.

6 months in and haven't looked back

Reminder, as part of the charter rules posters agree not to post medical advice, this includes giving up meds, any furhter questions please directly message myself or another moderator of the forum

mrmorgan wrote: »
    i gave up my meds and started taking CBD.

6 months in and haven't looked back

telling you i know a good few that have gone this route...and its working.

• Advertisement

lolokeogh wrote: »
    telling you i know a good few that have gone this route...and its working.

it actually is, it might not for some, but it is for me

Back to my doc today,feel like im banging my head against a wall comes to mind,but we will carry on

Back to my doc today,feel like im banging my head against a wall comes to mind,but we will carry on

How long have you been going?

How long have you been going?[/Q

I have seen a few docs the last 2 years,as i have a medical card i go to same surgery,some docs i have worked well with but they left,other i have not worked so well with,but hooked in with a nice doc id say around 9 mths ago,a new range of tablets started and that was left more or less until christmas,then he said right they aint working time for change,im looking to get in to the local curam mental health place here.i cant even go outside the door at times or most times things are so bad,and as for sleeping..thats a no go,the curam keep pushing me back to the doc,and the doc himself can be laxy daisy.ofcourse he knows how greatly my life is effected,but im sure he thinks tablets will just make that all better??he could be right,lbut as now i can not see that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

How long have you been going?[/Q

I have seen a few docs the last 2 years,as i have a medical card i go to same surgery,some docs i have worked well with but they left,other i have not worked so well with,but hooked in with a nice doc id say around 9 mths ago,a new range of tablets started and that was left more or less until christmas,then he said right they aint working time for change,im looking to get in to the local curam mental health place here.i cant even go outside the door at times or most times things are so bad,and as for sleeping..thats a no go,the curam keep pushing me back to the doc,and the doc himself can be laxy daisy.ofcourse he knows how greatly my life is effected,but im sure he thinks tablets will just make that all better??he could be right,lbut as now i can not see that

have you tried " The Linden Method "

look it up on google

i have the pack so can copy it for you , cost me €250 at the time

mrmorgan wrote:
    it actually is, it might not for some, but it is for me

Can you point me in the right direction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭Jeff2

The person you quoted said CDD but But might have ment CBT.

i can of course, DM me

Jeff2 wrote: »
    The person you quoted said CDD but But might have ment CBT.

Nope CBD

• Advertisement

Does the medical card cover mental health? I can't afford to talk to anyone atm.

Advertisement