Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    Does the medical card cover mental health? I can't afford to talk to anyone atm.

It covers your GP. There is no charge for public patients in hospitals for mental health out patients- but there are waiting lists

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

lbc2019 wrote: »
    It covers your GP. There is no charge for public patients in hospitals for mental health out patients- but there are waiting lists

Thanks.

Also do other people get infuriated by moaners? Just giving out all the time and your thinking to yourself oh shut the **** up, imagine if you had any real problems in your life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Thanks.

Also do other people get infuriated by moaners? Just giving out all the time and your thinking to yourself oh shut the **** up, imagine if you had any real problems in your life.

The source of moaning is subjective isn't it. Sometimes someone is complaining about something that seems trivial but maybe we don't understand just what exactly is bothering them.

But, I agree, complaining incessantly can be very annoying. There seems to be some people who's first reaction is to find an excuse or to give out. Interestingly, those that have the most to complain about are often the most positive.

There's also a lot of wallowing that can occur within. There are some people who seem to stay stuck in their place of sadness without taking any steps or each bit of help given is met with an excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

I think everyone has real problems. Just because not everyone knows them doesn't mean there not there. And attitude is a huge part of it, but sometimes you get to a place where a positive attitude takes more energy than you have to maintain.

There's plenty of people who would call me a moaner, because they don't know what I struggle with on a daily basis. I'm sure I come across as overly sensitive and incredibly negative.

Whereas in actuality I am struggling massively with a mental health condition, trying to find the right meds and dosage, dealing with bullying in the workplace, dealing with huge amounts of illness in the family, trying to cope with insomnia, dealing with a tough living situation...

But anyone who knows me outside of my immediate family probably knows one or maybe two of those things if they are particularly close to me....

• Advertisement

I dont know whats gong on in anyone else’s life completely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

Does the medical card cover mental health? I can't afford to talk to anyone atm.

there are free counsellers out there for situations like this i think

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

I dont know whats gong on in anyone else’s life completely

You have to ask. Some people will open up.
    It was one of my best friends wedding yesterday. I didn't want to go but felt pressure from myself to go.
    And I can tell you I am so glad I went as it was nice to spend time with friends.
    I actually laughed for real instead of just putting on a brave face.

I'm lucky I have so much support from family and friends but sometimes you still feel lonely.
    One of the best things for me to try and stop thinking much is my dogs. There is a reason why they are called man's best friend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

My dog has been a great help. I have to feed walk etc so it give's you a purpose. Man's best friend is exactly what they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

My dog has been a great help. I have to feed walk etc so it give's you a purpose. Man's best friend is exactly what they are.

My cats are that too.. One of my GPs way back in the UK used to say he wanted all his older patients to have a kitten to care for, having seen the effect on my life of them. Now I could no longer walk a dog but the cats follow me down the lane... and these new rescues are a tonic and a challenge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

I really miss my dog for that. Nothing better than a dog to get you out of your own head. A walk out in the wind with my dog and a tennis ball used to be enough to sort me 99% of the time!

Ive had a really really bad few days. Not due back at my gp for another few weeks but made an appointment for this afternoon. Want to discuss if this is a side effect of a medication tweak or just a bad patch.

Hate being on meds, I'm paranoid after a bad experience with ssris as an adolescent, and every bad patch I have im convinced its a side effect of what im on now. My poor gp has the patience of a saint...

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AlwaysGrey

Hi everyone, been awhile since I’ve posted. Been through the ringer the past few months. Ended up having a massive break down last time I posted here. Ended up being hospitalized and found it hell to be honest. I felt worse to be honest being hospitalized, I was drugged up and left in zombie mode to wander the corridors with the other poor souls seeking help. The mental health care system in this country is fkd.. pardon my French.

I’m from a small rural town and the help available is dismal to say the least. Only for I have a wife and kids I’d be buried long ago, they keep me going. I’m 2 and a half years waiting for counseling, got 6 short term sessions with a trainee who cried at my life story. Was offered CBT with another trainee, I quit after 4 sessions the guy hadn’t a clue really, not his fault just inexperience. I’m seeing psychiatrist every 2 months and on 60mg of fluoxetine daily. I’m really struggling to see the light at the end of this tunnel, if I could afford counseling I would. I’m barely working part-time, my employer has kept my job for me and is very understanding which is a plus.

I’m struggling with this depression and ptsd, I know the past is the past, I have everything to live for, but I just feel like I’m an empty emotionless shell on auto pilot. Every time I think I’m getting on track I get hammered back, but I keep trying to get better, I guess it’s the stubborn in me ðŸ˜

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Red Lightning

I'm 25 and male and am diagnosed with mental health disorders. I've posted on my Facebook and Instagram openly over the last two months and my mental health cos I want to raise awareness. It can be scary but there are too many people suffering in silence. Fellas in particular don't open up at all.
    Any tips on how to reach a wider audience? I'd love to collaborate with Bressie or something. Secondary school students are a big target in my opinion. Social media and modern day pressures for young people is making everything 10x worse.

I'm 25 and male and am diagnosed with mental health disorders. I've posted on my Facebook and Instagram openly over the last two months and my mental health cos I want to raise awareness. It can be scary but there are too many people suffering in silence. Fellas in particular don't open up at all.
    Any tips on how to reach a wider audience? I'd love to collaborate with Bressie or something. Secondary school students are a big target in my opinion. Social media and modern day pressures for young people is making everything 10x worse.

Hi Red Lightning.

I think it's good that you want to raise awareness but doing so can be a difficult process. I hope your issues are behind you if you do try to publicise them because if not, I fear it might hinder your recovery.

The whole getting people to open up is a funny one, if people feel they are being forced to do so, they will likely shut down and even if they do open up, they might think things will be better immediately which is rarely the case.

Personally, I think the message needs as much to be about listening as it is about opening up. That way, when someone does feel they want to discuss it, others might be in a place to help.

Please don't take my post as knocking your attempts to help, it's not my intent.

AlwaysGrey wrote: »
    Hi everyone, been awhile since I’ve posted. Been through the ringer the past few months. Ended up having a massive break down last time I posted here. Ended up being hospitalized and found it hell to be honest. I felt worse to be honest being hospitalized, I was drugged up and left in zombie mode to wander the corridors with the other poor souls seeking help. The mental health care system in this country is fkd.. pardon my French.

I’m from a small rural town and the help available is dismal to say the least. Only for I have a wife and kids I’d be buried long ago, they keep me going. I’m 2 and a half years waiting for counseling, got 6 short term sessions with a trainee who cried at my life story. Was offered CBT with another trainee, I quit after 4 sessions the guy hadn’t a clue really, not his fault just inexperience. I’m seeing psychiatrist every 2 months and on 60mg of fluoxetine daily. I’m really struggling to see the light at the end of this tunnel, if I could afford counseling I would. I’m barely working part-time, my employer has kept my job for me and is very understanding which is a plus.

I’m struggling with this depression and ptsd, I know the past is the past, I have everything to live for, but I just feel like I’m an empty emotionless shell on auto pilot. Every time I think I’m getting on track I get hammered back, but I keep trying to get better, I guess it’s the stubborn in me ðŸ˜

Well done on keeping trying. Hopefully you've already been at your lowest point.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AlwaysGrey

Well done on keeping trying. Hopefully you've already been at your lowest point.

Thanks Tell me how, Think I’ve been there a few times. It feels like I’m climbing a mountain, I fall, get ready to give up but then I get angry with myself for wanting to quit and give up on life, I couldn’t imagine life without my wife and kids so I start climbing that mountain again. It’s a fecking struggle through, I’ll get there hopefully 😉

Thanks Tell me how, Think I’ve been there a few times. It feels like I’m climbing a mountain, I fall, get ready to give up but then I get angry with myself for wanting to quit and give up on life, I couldn’t imagine life without my wife and kids so I start climbing that mountain again. It’s a fecking struggle through, I’ll get there hopefully ��

Am sure you will. And one thing I would say with confidence is, when you are well, you will appreciate the simple things in life so so much having had the journey you've had.

Always Grey six years i had a massive breakdown. Suffered with depression all my life. Have bi polar was never diagnosed properly. Anyway after the massive breakdown(mania) i went low and coundn't leave my house for appox two years. So wanted to end it and came close. 40th birthday after about ten times going past i went in a few friends there for me. Six months later i got properly diagnosed with bi polar. Three years on things are alot better. It's been slow.

What i will say is keep going. Keep seeing psychiatrist. If you can try excercise. Also just taking to someone close even ifs for a few minutes makes a difference. Its slow steps. You need to find things to take your mind off the negative. Just keep going. It will turn around just keep thinking that. One day at a time. Stay strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

Hi AlwaysGrey - can I just say that your determination to feel better and continue on is inspiring. And sharing your experiences here is really helpful for other posters like myself who get very tired of the constant feelings of pushing a rock up a hill.

I can really empathise with the empty / autopilot mode. I wish you the very best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Red Lightning

I find myself struggling to connect with people. Apart from my family, I wouldn't be close with many others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I find myself struggling to connect with people. Apart from my family, I wouldn't be close with many others.
    can you join any groups/clubs in areas that interest you. Will(may) be difficult for you but that could help you get closer to people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Graces7 wrote: »

My cats are that too.. One of my GPs way back in the UK used to say he wanted all his older patients to have a kitten to care for, having seen the effect on my life of them. Now I could no longer walk a dog but the cats follow me down the lane... and these new rescues are a tonic and a challenge
    Cats are known to get rid of negativity in a home. They are amazing animals that dont get enough credit for the comfort they provide.

Sister has a cat and was never a fan of cats before but they are great animals and very friendly once they become domesticated.

Well I was kind of okay these few days and all morning until my calendar decided to ping a notification onto my screen of what I'll always be missing on this date... ugh damn technology, I froze but quickly grabbed the only thing to knock me out of it, it's awful as a coping mechanism but it's all i got. Today is going to suck, just seems like I get through Xmas, then new years... now this... and February too... I dunno how I'm still here to be honest, to scared to do anything I guess.

Hopefully everyone else has a good day.

3rd day in my new job and my anxiety level is through the roof. Feel like I’m saying the wrong thing- why can’t I just shut up

Well I was kind of okay these few days and all morning until my calendar decided to ping a notification onto my screen of what I'll always be missing on this date... ugh damn technology, I froze but quickly grabbed the only thing to knock me out of it, it's awful as a coping mechanism but it's all i got. Today is going to suck, just seems like I get through Xmas, then new years... now this... and February too... I dunno how I'm still here to be honest, to scared to do anything I guess.

Hopefully everyone else has a good day.

A shock like that can really knock the stuffing out of you.
    Hope you get past it.

(Make sure to delete reminder so it won't pop up next year.)

3rd day in my new job and my anxiety level is through the roof. Feel like I’m saying the wrong thing- why can’t I just shut up

You'll get there, day after tomorrow is weekend.

Try to not bite off too much too early in the new job.

A shock like that can really knock the stuffing out of you.
    Hope you get past it.

(Make sure to delete reminder so it won't pop up next year.)

If I'm around next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

If I'm around next year.

Don't think that please. If you ever need a chat i've two good ears to listen.
    Last year was one of my worst ever but i am now trying to stay positive. It's hard but it is something to try and focus on.

• Advertisement

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    Don't think that please. If you ever need a chat i've two good ears to listen.
    Last year was one of my worst ever but i am now trying to stay positive. It's hard but it is something to try and focus on.

I have nothing to focus on that's the problem. I lost everything last year. Even my job on Xmas eve.

Advertisement