Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 77infj

Hi all,
    Just want to reach out. Let me explain my situation: had a really stressful toxic job years ago which really messed me up & led to severe anxiety and panic attacks. I'd have panic attacks at night - never during the day - which meant that I got no sleep and I was actually afraid to go to bed as I couldn't turn my thoughts off and relax. This went on for a long time.

Eventually quit the job, slowly got to terms with the panic attacks, went back to college and got a good degree. Even ended up doing some teaching work, which was great. Really boosted my confidence and self esteem. I never thought that I'd be good at public speaking but apparently I am.

But then that job turned nasty and the stress levels started increasing. The teaching dried up as this was all contract stuff and I've been let go. That really shook my confidence.

Then my dad got really sick and died suddenly over Christmas about 2 years ago. My brother left me to deal with my mum so I'm living with her at the moment (she has health issues and would physically struggle to live on her own).

So all the confidence I've built up has kind of evaporated. I feel overwhelmed and under a lot of pressure because I'm alone and have to take care of all this stuff.

I can feel the old anxieties and fears coming back because I'm quite isolated and alone. I don't have many close friends and I don't know where to turn to or who to talk to. Plus, now I'm thinking about all the stuff that happened over the years (because I have time to dwell on stuff).

I'm really afraid that my life is going downwards where the anxiety is threatening to come back. I'm stuck in a rut and depressed - I know that I need to pull myself out of it but I don't seem to have the energy to do it.

I'm living on savings at the moment but they are running out. Already I've started to be afraid to apply for jobs because I'm terrified that they will turn out to be toxic workplaces. I'm also thinking that my skills and experience are out of date and rusty so they won't want to hire me. Also I'm afraid of being overwhelmed with stress in a new job.

In the grand scheme of things, my issues are fairly minor. I'm greatful for a lot of things. But I feel as if I am going downwards and I can't seem to snap out of it.

Thanks for reading everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Earthsnotflat

Hi 77infj,
    I feel for you. I have different circumstances but they led me to similar place as you're finding yourself in, loneliness, lack of help, total exhaustion, sleeplessness, deep depression for too many years now. I realized, I always tried very hard to be good in whatever I had to do, not to fail, not to let anyone hurt me with refusing to help etc. Now I let everything slip through my fingers, like literally do absolutely basics and don't care about anything else. Life goes on as usual regardless and I need this time before I'm ready to carry my burdens again. I'm writing this because I thought that maybe it might be some tiny piece of advice, that you could just let life pass you by while you have some time to think, to gather your strength, not forcing yourself to do anything that might make anxiety worse. You'll be fine, maybe you need this 'idle' time to think about life and all, maybe to redefine expectations, or deal with your past so it doesn't constantly bite you. Regarding going back to work, you don't have to be perfect, you were able to stand on your feet once after traumatic experiences, so you'll be able to cope next time, just give yourself a bit of rest, nothing wrong with going 'on hold' for little while, work can wait until you're ready, take care of yourself

Thanks Earthisnotflat!
    Really appreciate your message. I know that this is a setback, and it's just thrown me completely. I'm just frightened and alone at the moment. So thanks for your kind words.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

77infj wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Just want to reach out. Let me explain my situation: had a really stressful toxic job years ago which really messed me up & led to severe anxiety and panic attacks. I'd have panic attacks at night - never during the day - which meant that I got no sleep and I was actually afraid to go to bed as I couldn't turn my thoughts off and relax. This went on for a long time.

Eventually quit the job, slowly got to terms with the panic attacks, went back to college and got a good degree. Even ended up doing some teaching work, which was great. Really boosted my confidence and self esteem. I never thought that I'd be good at public speaking but apparently I am.

But then that job turned nasty and the stress levels started increasing. The teaching dried up as this was all contract stuff and I've been let go. That really shook my confidence.

Then my dad got really sick and died suddenly over Christmas about 2 years ago. My brother left me to deal with my mum so I'm living with her at the moment (she has health issues and would physically struggle to live on her own).

So all the confidence I've built up has kind of evaporated. I feel overwhelmed and under a lot of pressure because I'm alone and have to take care of all this stuff.

I can feel the old anxieties and fears coming back because I'm quite isolated and alone. I don't have many close friends and I don't know where to turn to or who to talk to. Plus, now I'm thinking about all the stuff that happened over the years (because I have time to dwell on stuff).

I'm really afraid that my life is going downwards where the anxiety is threatening to come back. I'm stuck in a rut and depressed - I know that I need to pull myself out of it but I don't seem to have the energy to do it.

I'm living on savings at the moment but they are running out. Already I've started to be afraid to apply for jobs because I'm terrified that they will turn out to be toxic workplaces. I'm also thinking that my skills and experience are out of date and rusty so they won't want to hire me. Also I'm afraid of being overwhelmed with stress in a new job.

In the grand scheme of things, my issues are fairly minor. I'm greatful for a lot of things. But I feel as if I am going downwards and I can't seem to snap out of it.

Thanks for reading everybody.

Sorry for your loss and well done on being open about things. If you ever need a chat i am always here. I've been through hell and back multiple times. My Mother is nearly 75 and recovering from a stroke and she is sick and crying worried about me. That just makes me feel much worse.

I already know tomorrow wont be a good day as i will be thinking about my ex as it's Valentines day(I know i shouldn't but it's just there).

My problem in life was always trying to help fix other peoples problems rather than my own.

Hi BohsCeltic

Thanks for your message. I really appreciate your support. I'm so sorry about your mum - I know exactly how guilty you feel about upsetting her.

Same here with Valentine's Day - it just dredges up things from the past and is not helpful.

Absolutely agree with you: I've a history of trying to fix other people's problems at the expense of my own wellbeing and have been burnt many times by others who have taken advantage of me.

• Advertisement

Hi all,
    Tough day today. I'm sure a lot of others are feeling the same way. Sending my best to you all. You are not alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

A day you should be spending with your soul mate, but impossible when they're gone.
    I ****ing hate life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    A day you should be spending with your soul mate, but impossible when they're gone.
    I ****ing hate life.

Today is the same as any other. Tomorrow too. Don't buy in to the marketing spin.

I'm sorry you feel you have lost your soulmate. Maybe you will meet someone else who you could build such a bond with.

77infj wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Tough day today. I'm sure a lot of others are feeling the same way. Sending my best to you all. You are not alone.

Tough day indeed. My football team get beaten too. But i had the pleasure of babysitting 2 of my Sisters kids.

We'll never walk alone !

Today is the same as any other. Tomorrow too. Don't buy in to the marketing spin.

I'm sorry you feel you have lost your soulmate. Maybe you will meet someone else who you could build such a bond with.

But it's not a regular day, it was a day you spent with your loved one and done something special for it and something you will never do with them again.

• Advertisement

Getting worse, I'm having horrid dreams and yet I get angry when I wake up because I don't want to wake up anymore. Also my tinnitus has gotten really bad again and can't be cured. I know people have it worse than me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Guys I also posted this in AH but thought some people here might miss it. There is hope everybody .
    Drumpot wrote: »
    This is a superb post and with a bit of humour has helped bring depression to the attention of a larger audience without it being too taboo.

I have suffered since my mid teens and now in my mid thirties. My only goal in life was to have a family of my own , which I have thankfully achieved. Yes, a very modest goal/dream, but none the less something that people can take for granted.

In my earlier years I used to feel numb. The only feelings I felt were of pain, suffering, the kind of stuff that Yoda said about those who follow the dark side would feel.

I always thought there was something wrong with me, but didnt think that anybody could help. Partially because of my insecurity (I loved everybody liking me, I was the joker of my group) and partially because I didnt think anybody would care. There was and always is an element of fear with me that friends/family will not want to be around me if I talk to much about it.

I reckon what has helped me over the years has been -
    • Wanting to feel better
    • Exploring differant ways - Excercise, education, talking etc
    • Learning to understand myself better - triggers,
    • Giving myself a break - I still tend to beat myself up if I dont meet certain goals that I set myself, including trivial things that arent important
    • giving myself a mental high 5 or pat on the back when I achieve even basic tasks - I am trying to be more positive, by putting more emphasis on positive feedback to myself as opposed to negative feedback
    • try to be more constructive in my self criticism - I didnt get up this morning, dont worry about it, I will get more rest and goto gym, afterwhich I will get more productive work done in less time (rather then have my hands in my head for twice the time and get nothing done!).
    • I will talk more to my partner and family to let them know how I feel. How can they help or understand if I dont say how I feel. It doesnt matter if they dont understand, only that they know that I dont feel right. Sometimes I feel like a broken record, but my wife prefers to listen to me speak some of the time, as opposed to when I just shut down and cant speak for days!
    • Understanding my issues with drink. I have some bad habits (used to be worse when I was younger) that I am still trying to iron out. I see the connection between my moods and drink. Spotting this is only half the battle, but I am at least getting there.
    • Trying to come to terms with the fact that I cannot control things outside of my own life. I get extremely upset with the hypocrisy and downright corruption that exists in western civilistion. Particularly when its excused as "part and parcel of life" as if this makes immoral/unethical acts exceptable. EG - Politicians breaking pre election promises, laws that protect the rich corporations against small people ( I have personal reason to be particularly upset on this one!) etc.
    I was called a lazy bum, useless and all sorts of other things when I was younger by friends and family who thought a kick up the jollies would somehow motivate me to become the person they knew I could be.

Not everybodys depression is same and people do suffer on differant levels. I have a friend who suffers serious bouts and some days he cant even leave his house. Other days he can get up and speak on front of hundreds of people , extremely confidently and challenge educated people on certain issues, with no bother on him.

I tend to just go into myself, look to stay at home as much as possible , like a hermit. I used to feel sorry for myself, but now I just feel like I want to get better. I used to think money (financial troubles) would solve my problems, but I now know it wont. I achieved the one thing I have always wanted in life (my own family) and while it has given me strength it hasnt sorted me out completely.

Somedays I wake up feeling nervous and sick for no particular reason. What is worse is when you dont even know why you feel this way. I generally feel most peaceful in the wee hours of the AM. One morning I walked with my dogs to the beach to watch the sunrise, it was a true Karma moment.

I personally judge my life on the family I am bringing up and the friends I have around me. These are how I judge my successes. I never put an importance on educational achievements or work achievements because they do not define the person I am. I would class myself of average intelligence (wouldnt throw that out to the floor at a pokergame with my friends).

Depression is in no way a funny thing to live with, but if comedy could be used to educate people, I would be all for it. I used to be much funnier and wittier, but cant think of anything remotely interesting to write.

It is the hope that can kill save you

That post above was over 7 years ago. At the time I was really struggling badly (certainly in comparison to now) but you would think reading it that I was somewhat together. I dont remember that being a positive time in my life, quite the opposite in fact.

I think sometime that year I took medication that you shouldn’t mix, while drinking heavily. I didn’t want to wake up. The pain of life was just too much and I didn’t know what to do and saw no hope. That “true Karma” moment I mentioned in the above post was actually a morning I walked the dog to the beach after a night of drinking on my own. I imagined it like a Hallmark card, pissed as a fart, with my dog sitting beside me on the beach as the sun was coming up. I had at least 3 cans of beer and staggered home later on before my wife woke up. It was actually a very beautiful memory in a weird sense. I was able to enjoy that brief moment with my dog but now I have these great moments for longer and its a cheaper buzz without the hangover or cost of a few cans! :D

The insidious nature of depression, anxiety and self medicating is something I am only now realising. I haven’t had a drink in over 6 years. I have slowly weaned myself off all mind altering medications and use them sparingly and in close consultation with my doctor. I used to be on zanax, sleeping tablets (started buying them online at one stage!), anti depressants to try and numb the horrible pain of daily life I used to endure. There is a role for these medications and I always suggest people are guided by the professionals on these things.

I know that putting my trust in doctors and trusted therapists allowed me to get the support to heal properly, although I didn't always want to listen!. I believe the mantra “you cant heal a sick mind with a sick mind”. So often in the past I would give up on something or a new method because it wasn’t giving me the desired results. Finding the right supports , trusting in those supports and resigning myself to their guidance was integral to my growth.

Back then Life was bleak, was dark, was miserable, was hopeless and I saw no benefit for my constant cloud to remain in my family's future. I used to be so afraid of being alone with my own thoughts. I couldn't quieten my mind and so many things used to rush in and out. I had some quite dark and intrusive thoughts that I didn't feel i could share with anybody and filled me with fear and shame. In therapy I learned that most people have the same thoughts at different times in their lives.

As I write this I am taking time to enjoy my 3 beautiful little boys playing in the kitchen. One of them is captain underpants. 7 years ago I couldn’t enjoy this moment. 7 Years ago I would be lamenting the fact that I couldn’t enjoy this moment and knew that pain would be even harder when I was older and reflecting back on this missed happiness.

I’ve been making great personal gains over the years. Sometimes it felt like 2 steps forward, infinite steps backwards. Quite often it felt like life would be slog until the end. But right now my life has never been better, never been more clear and I have never felt this positive about the future. I have an idea to completely change the way my company provides its service and I feel confident to make it work. I have always thought of myself as an inherently negative person expecting the worst in life so I will not be disappointed. Right now I feel like the world is my playground and anything is possible.

I have been reading bits of Philosophy over the years and I always felt it was something that I might be interested in. But I think I might of actually found something I can really be passionate about in a progressive way where I can chat with a tribe of people who are deep thinkers just like me. I used to suppress who I was because I always valued myself on how much I could “entertain”.

Now I see that I had a passion and didn’t know where to put it. Many people don’t like to chat to “deep Drumpot”. You need only look at my posts on the man united soccer forum to see how out of place I am with the general fanbase who absolutely despise my long winded posts. This is important because United have been a huge part of my life and I used to have a much greater passion for them. I lost some of that when I lost my passion for life.

I can feel out of place a lot in day to day stuff but I learned to blend in like everybody else with relatively shallow conversations. That was fine but it made me feel like a weirdo who enjoyed getting in deep, anal cavity deep, into conversations. So I felt very lonely on this aspect and pretended to give a sh*t about stuff that was actually not really something that was particularly interesting to me. I then got angry with people which disconnected me even further and in my view society got uglier and more stupid the more rejected I felt.

I have so much I want to write down, so much to say to people who are in that dark room. Who are lonely even in a room of people they know love them. Who have nobody they feel they can talk to and see no end to the pain. THERE IS HOPE . . Not hope that you can survive, there is hope you can live a life you cannot imagine. I have tried many many things to try and get to where I am and to me that was the key. I tried singing, listening to music, meditation, pilates, acting, counselling, exercise, therapy, medication, resting, taking time to do nothing (watching birds eat out of bird feeder in back garden), holidays, working, not working, reading, eating healthy, eating crap, drinking, going to cinema (figured out that I love going on my own), philosophy but as my wife says to me I always kept on trying. Not because I am stronger or wiser then anybody reading this but because I found hope and I worked hard to see if that hope could lead somewhere. I still do pretty much most of these things at different times or another, no one thing is a panacea but collectively they provide me with a more meaningful and nourished life.

I know if I was reading this post a few years ago I might scoff a bit or even feel a bit worse. Look at that post , gloating about how great things are but that would have been a lie that I was telling myself. I haven’t shared a fraction of the pain and sad things that have happened in my life in this thread but that’s not as important as my reaction to it. The specifics of how I got to such a low point in my life is not important. Other people might have been fine had they led my life but it was because of my “allergic reaction to things that happened in my life” (as I put it) that meant I was handicapped for a long long time.

I have no solution or answer to other peoples riddle in life, I believe the answer is in everybody, but unlocking that truth is the achievement of a lifetime. I learned that how I feel at any given time is not necessarily a reflection of the truth of my life. Like a short sighted person who has lost their glasses, sometimes I just cant see with clarity and it can make me scared, lonely and sad. I cant see where my life is going. I cant share these feelings with others. I cant enjoy my life.

I prioritised my life, my health and getting well over everything else. I dont have anymore money then I had a decade ago and I would consider myself working class on the lower end of the scale. But thats ok because I am ok. Many many times I prioritized trying to be ok with feeling unwell, with working on not beating myself up for being so useless and depressed. At times it felt like wasted time and just prolonging my life, instead of improving it. And i felt great pressure at times because my family really relies on me which just compounded my sense of failure.

I wish I could bottle up how I feel right now and give everybody a piece of it. All that pain, all that suffering is worth it if this is how my life will continue. I know I will have ups and downs and I wont always feel this good but thats life. I hope I can read back on this post when I am feeling low and remember that Life is not a straight line and that sometimes I feel pain to remind me I am alive. Sometimes my pain is an opportunity to care for myself and learn to appreciate what I already have.

Music . . Music always inspires strong feelings in me. I love beautiful music. . I have been listening to my chill out list (now listening to "creep" - Kolacny Brothers & Scala version) which is very apt. I sung this song in a band in college , pretty well if i remember. But thats how I felt, like a creep. Some of these songs used to make me sad but now they make me feel happy sad. I realise that music is just one of the ways I enjoy feeling and thats ok. Thats how my feelings can express themselves and thats ok.......

I think I should leave it at that for now . . Take care everybody . .

It took a while but I read through that. We are in different circumstances, I don't have any responsibilities, nothing to miss on, no wife or kids. I actually have nobody and I'm over all that, I've accepted these are the way things are. I've long given up and am pretty much now stuggling day by day waiting to die. I wish for it and I know it's bloody awful saying that as people out there are actually dying from cancers and all sorts. Even ideas of swapping places with them is always in my head, if I could I would. They'd love to live, I don't so you can see how perfect the situation is. If only a God did exist who could make it happen. But sure isn't that life... what the **** am I saying. I don't know anymore.

It took a while but I read through that. We are in different circumstances, I don't have any responsibilities, nothing to miss on, no wife or kids. I actually have nobody and I'm over all that, I've accepted these are the way things are. I've long given up and am pretty much now stuggling day by day waiting to die. I wish for it and I know it's bloody awful saying that as people out there are actually dying from cancers and all sorts. Even ideas of swapping places with them is always in my head, if I could I would. They'd love to live, I don't so you can see how perfect the situation is. If only a God did exist who could make it happen. But sure isn't that life... what the **** am I saying. I don't know anymore.

Thanks for reading and responding Ian. I have had to edit a response several times because there is some very serious information you have shared above. My instinct is to try and share my stories with you and try to give you support. My intention is only to help but I would think that perhaps you should consider reaching out for some professional help.

I do want to say one thing though, you said about dieing " I wish for it and I know its blood awful to say", but I feel its not awful but bloody important for you to say it. Please don't minimize your pain by talking about people with cancer. You also said "I dont know anymore" , there are people who can help you who know more then you and I. At the very least keep coming here and sharing your story. When I found a support group, a therapist, a doctor, a people in common that worked for me I found the hope that perhaps is alluding you at this time.

Drumpot wrote: »
    Thanks for reading and responding Ian. I have had to edit a response several times because there is some very serious information you have shared above. My instinct is to try and share my stories with you and try to give you support. My intention is only to help but I would think that perhaps you should consider reaching out for some professional help.

I do want to say one thing though, you said about dieing " I wish for it and I know its blood awful to say", but I feel its not awful but bloody important for you to say it. Please don't minimize your pain by talking about people with cancer. You also said "I dont know anymore" , there are people who can help you who know more then you and I. At the very least keep coming here and sharing your story. When I found a support group, a therapist, a doctor, a people in common that worked for me I found the hope that perhaps is alluding you at this time.

I feel it's too late for me. I'm not able for it anymore. I can't afford professional help even if I was able to. I should feel happy and lucky, I have a savage life for anyone on the outside looking in but they don't know. Nobody knows for years I've been depressed, suicidal and even if they did I have the sort of family where men should be men and can't have mental health issues. Theyre not real it's just mean whinging.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭elvis83

God damn work stress. I'm struggling to switch off at the minute. Feels like there's no end to the pressure we're under. Mind constantly on work, keeping me awake most nights. Stomach in knots, chest feeling tight, just constant worry and anxiety.

Just wanted to rant a little...

I feel it's too late for me. I'm not able for it anymore. I can't afford professional help even if I was able to. I should feel happy and lucky, I have a savage life for anyone on the outside looking in but they don't know. Nobody knows for years I've been depressed, suicidal and even if they did I have the sort of family where men should be men and can't have mental health issues. Theyre not real it's just mean whinging.

You are unwell. Same as any illness, it can change but does need help.
    It's very hard to ignore all the things that we feel are stacked against us but often it is the negativity of the disease which influences how we see things more than the reality.

There are cost effective solutions. Please start by talking to your GP if you can. You deserve to be well.

elvis83 wrote: »
    God damn work stress. I'm struggling to switch off at the minute. Feels like there's no end to the pressure we're under. Mind constantly on work, keeping me awake most nights. Stomach in knots, chest feeling tight, just constant worry and anxiety.

Just wanted to rant a little...

Hope the rant helped. If it didn't, maybe mention to someone that it's affecting your private life. It shouldn't do so.

You are unwell. Same as any illness, it can change but does need help.
    It's very hard to ignore all the things that we feel are stacked against us but often it is the negativity of the disease which influences how we see things more than the reality.

There are cost effective solutions. Please start by talking to your GP if you can. You deserve to be well.

Don't have a GP, I've been to a doctor once in the last 10 years and I'm pretty sure it's €60 to see a doctor isn't it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Had one of those weird few days where couldn't sleep until the early hours, then slept most of the day. I was up on Monday for about 18 hours straight, working and other stuff, and then went for a nap-then completely slept until 2 am, Tuesday. Got up, did some things, went to sleep at 9am...and then slept until 1.30 am.

When I dun stress about things, I do stress, and then I'm tired and have trouble staying awake. Ouch.
    My mum develloped another leg ulcer, and that's sort of stressed me out-she's had em on and off over time, now the doctor says she has to get more protein in her diet, because the skin or veins need strengthening.

Ah well, got food, and drank liquids.

• Advertisement

It's never too late. Talk to people. You will be surprised how many other people who have a smile on their face are hiding something inside.
    There are plenty of support groups you can call to give you advice.

My stress levels went down after i was open about everything and got talking to people who i would never have suspected of having depression.

All my friends and family know, even i think my 2 dogs know. I printed out a sheet of things before to show my family things that you shouldn't say to a depressed person.

I don't have any kids either and my GF is a long way away. I'm sleeping way too much too and have been out of work since end of March.

On friday i have to go to a friends stag do in Germany. He's Scottish and even he knows about my depression.
    I don't really want to go but feel like i don't want to let him down.

They all know that if i go out with them and want to go back to the hotel early there will be no slagging because they know about my condition.

That's why it's good to talk. And him and his friends are all hard men but they understand.
    Explain clearly to your family how you feel.
    A friend of mine who i would describe as hard as nails took his own life recently. Because he wouldn't talk to anyone.

Have some faith and don't do anything stupid please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Apologies, accidentally posted a post in the wrong thread-have it deleted now. Very sorry, too many tabs open. :o:o:o

What BohsCeltic said, don't do anything foolish-we've all been there.

I found that once I started opening up, opening up on stuff, telling people 'Yeah, I have bad days-I'm very sorry' that things sort of open up.

In the last ten years or so, I just decided to let people in, let more and more folks know-if I'm having a crap day, tell folks.

Like, my medication got reduced from 60mg to 40mg, and that's frustrating, but It might be for the better.

There are going to be those crappy days-but let people know, don't bottle it up.

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    It's never too late. Talk to people. You will be surprised how many other people who have a smile on their face are hiding something inside.
    There are plenty of support groups you can call to give you advice.

My stress levels went down after i was open about everything and got talking to people who i would never have suspected of having depression.

All my friends and family know, even i think my 2 dogs know. I printed out a sheet of things before to show my family things that you shouldn't say to a depressed person.

I don't have any kids either and my GF is a long way away. I'm sleeping way too much too and have been out of work since end of March.

On friday i have to go to a friends stag do in Germany. He's Scottish and even he knows about my depression.
    I don't really want to go but feel like i don't want to let him down.

They all know that if i go out with them and want to go back to the hotel early there will be no slagging because they know about my condition.

That's why it's good to talk. And him and his friends are all hard men but they understand.
    Explain clearly to your family how you feel.
    A friend of mine who i would describe as hard as nails took his own life recently. Because he wouldn't talk to anyone.

Have some faith and don't do anything stupid please.

It's not going to happen, I don't have people like you, family and friends are all in the past. They've all ****ed off and sure can I blame them, I've done this to myself, nobody wants to be around a downer or depressing bastard so I can't blame them at all. That last bit about your friend is probably going to be me, there is more chance of Ireland winning the Eurovision again than there is me confiding in a person again, tried it once to someone who said I was important to them and they didn't give any ****s, lesson learned. People say they care but don't.

Like imagine if I opened up to my parents who brought me into this world and told them I think "I wish I died" all the time or hate waking up cause I don't like my life... it'd kill them and I'd probably get the reply of "here's a violin"

6am and still awake...

It's not going to happen, I don't have people like you, family and friends are all in the past. They've all ****ed off and sure can I blame them, I've done this to myself, nobody wants to be around a downer or depressing bastard so I can't blame them at all. That last bit about your friend is probably going to be me, there is more chance of Ireland winning the Eurovision again than there is me confiding in a person again, tried it once to someone who said I was important to them and they didn't give any ****s, lesson learned. People say they care but don't.

Like imagine if I opened up to my parents who brought me into this world and told them I think "I wish I died" all the time or hate waking up cause I don't like my life... it'd kill them and I'd probably get the reply of "here's a violin"

6am and still awake...

People are humans and humans can help. Trust me i've been through hell and back.
    It wouldn't kill your parents about opening up, it would kill them if you done something stupid.
    Please call a doctor or go to a&e. That won't cost nothing untill later.

https://www.samaritans.org/your-community/samaritans-ireland-scotland-and-wales/samaritans-ireland?gclid=CjwKCAiA767jBRBqEiwAGdAOr_Emdfs7JO9kUuPUVqBZ7pJLVDudpKpdCASFminZesocT5LsB7UonxoCX5YQAvD_BwE

Talk to someone please.

It’s interesting you mention money because Over the years I didn’t think I could afford it either. I looked at a letter yesterday I sent to my mortgage provider in 2014. Why would I look at it now? Because I got a 5 year moratorium that’s actually up later this year and I am worried about how I am going to cope financially with my mortgage doubling in a few months. I am
    Working on a budget to address that!

In the letter I plead with the bank to stop hounding me and putting me under pressure. I also talk about having to ask my parents for money because my bank account was at zero. That’s been my financial status for nearly a decade. The medical card has been a godsend, perhaps you might be able to get one if you are financially struggling? I used 8 free counseling sessions through that. I also changed doctors when it wasn’t working out with one doctor and found a brilliant younger doctor who helped transform the way I coped with my anxiety. At one stage I was going to my doctors every month, not ideal but it got me through a very bad patch.

I find a lot of people who don’t suffer depression or anxiety just don’t get it. Not in a mean way but they don’t know how to react or what to say and quite often they unintentionally say something that can make me feel worse.

My family never asks me how I’m getting on at AA. They acted with a sort of “oh right, on” when I told them. AA is just a support group but most people act like it’s a cult. I suffer depression and anxiety, only difference I am to some people is I turned to drink and medication to ease the pain. My pain and general, symptoms and general outlook is similar to everybody else’s. If you feel your family wont support you then you should consider sharing your feelings anyway, They might surprise you or if you think Its not worth it then focus on who might be able to offer support. I don’t rely on my family for emotional support or my friends for that matter. When I told my family that a very respected therapist thought I might of been absused as a small boy, my family never asked me about it. They dismissed it and never ask. The support I ultimately found wasn’t necessarily the support I wanted but it was the support I needed.

The average Joe (friends or family) don’t have answers or the tools to help me. I wouldn’t ask them to be able to fix a broken arm so thinking of my mental health just like that helped me seek out the help I needed. Ian it sounds like you need support, believe me there is support there, you just have to seek it out. Keep looking and keep trying to find somebody who can help you.

Edit: just to add, I also went to , free, award meetings. At the time I was directed to a free CBT course they were doing , a 6 week course and that was really helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭lucalux

SMC92Ian I just want to say that I can really understand a lot of you are posting.

Can I just say tho, something that did help me was going to Pieta House. Money was a big issue for me too, but I managed to get myself there and back, the rest was free.

Pieta House do 15 sessions absolutely free. You go twice a week for three weeks, then 9 weekly sessions after. Free.

People fundraise for them so it's not a burden on the people who need to use their service.

They might have a centre near you? The counsellors and psychologists they have are usually top notch and eager to help no matter what.

They have a phone number which is freephone and 24/7. They usually fill in details, where they are near you etc if you want to know more. They'll also just chat with you a bit.

1800 247 247

Might be worth a try, might not. Either way, all the best.

Want to thank everyone else for their great posts too. It's easy to forget I'm not on my own, so reading the thread is a help. Not too confident of posting here myself, but I hope I might improve that. All the best for now

I don't want to waste anyone's time, I feel I would just sit there in silence and not say anything. I don't feel right sharing my "problems" as it feels silly telling someone the real truth when the world we live in has people with worse. Also I dunno how talking can help, I'm stuck in some sort of I dunno, can't accept what's happened last year, the loss, how do people just move on?... I can't and it's horrible, I kind of don't want to. Do people just fake it all the time? I was raised with the idea that life happens and we all get on with it and if you can't your moaning or been a drama queen etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

I attended a&e with a family member for mental health issues and I contacted patient accounts department about paying and was told mental health was not charged for

Maybe not the case everywhere and certainly not advertised but worth checking.

• Advertisement

I don't want to waste anyone's time, I feel I would just sit there in silence and not say anything. I don't feel right sharing my "problems" as it feels silly telling someone the real truth when the world we live in has people with worse. Also I dunno how talking can help, I'm stuck in some sort of I dunno, can't accept what's happened last year, the loss, how do people just move on?... I can't and it's horrible, I kind of don't want to. Do people just fake it all the time? I was raised with the idea that life happens and we all get on with it and if you can't your moaning or been a drama queen etc.

Talking alone is no guarantee, medication is no guarantee, but all the evidence is that care under the right supervision stands a high chance of being successful.

In the past people thought that smoking was good for you. Dr's advertised it. Knowledge and opinions evolved. You may have been raised a particular way but again, the evidence is that that was not necessarily the right way.

If you do go to a Dr, you could print out some of your posts here and just read them out loud.

Advertisement