Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Just to reiterate the advice for us all that I was provided by my gp

Ssris and snris need to be taken at pretty much the same time everyday, not doing so can create an imbalance

Funny story actually, my friend at work was complaining at lunch time one day how he was getting a strange sensation in his brain when he moved his eyes. I said nothing as we were with our group of friends. When I got back to my desk I messaged him

'you haven't been taking your Ssris have you? '

To which he replied how the hell did you know??

Haha we then formed a bond over something we didn't know about each other

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Juxtapose

^ hah, thats pretty funny alright. I guess bonding over something like ssris is a unique way of making a bond! Thats cool :)

Regards the social media - I deactivated my facebook a few days ago. I had to go back on as i left some log in information on there and before i know it, i was scrolling down looking at people's projections of their lives. Needless to say i felt a bit crummy after. So i deactivated right away and hopefully keep it that way for a while!

Juxtapose wrote: »
    ^ hah, thats pretty funny alright. I guess bonding over something like ssris is a unique way of making a bond! Thats cool :)

Regards the social media - I deactivated my facebook a few days ago. I had to go back on as i left some log in information on there and before i know it, i was scrolling down looking at people's projections of their lives. Needless to say i felt a bit crummy after. So i deactivated right away and hopefully keep it that way for a while!

Yeah it was funny how i spotted it! I told him to make sure he was taking them everyday; we get on great now, were good support for each other!

The way i look at social media is that if anyone wants to reach you - they will have your phone number!

When i told my mates at work i left facebook one of them said - "Youll be back on when bikini pic season starts" - fat chance haha :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Despite its negative aspects, I'll never quit Facebook. I find it great for chatting and keeping up with people. I try not of this as being its silver lining but rather that the bad side is just a dark spot in an otherwise bright white cloud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Never joined, never will. I spend too much time on boards as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I had to turn off the sidebar on Facebook. Seeing who was online and not talking to me made me really anxious... caused much terrible rumination and misinterpretation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭norwegianwood

I just wish it would get to a point that I didn't feel completely alone in a dark place, I'm so deep in a hole and I don't know how to cope anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,889 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I just wish it would get to a point that I didn't feel completely alone in a dark place, I'm so deep in a hole and I don't know how to cope anymore.

Sorry to hear that. Anything particular troubling you?

It might not be much, but you have us here. Feel free to talk about whatever with us. Sometimes just getting things off your chest can make you feel so much better, or getting some opinions or advice too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Feeling very down and meh today with my depression and anxiety.

Sick of having to deal with them day in day out. They affect my life in every way and it is draining me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭pushkii

I know what you mean it's like a monster inside you consuming all your energy and eating away your chances of having any peace or happiness

I am experiencing severe anxiety lately every day is a struggle

It's crazy how anxiety can hold our attention when it strikes. I find it very hard to use my mindfulness exercise when the anxiety begins to snowball. I've been told to keep on doing the exercise, but the temptation to quit is strong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Audeb

42 year old female on Effexor for 14+ years with mixed results. Anxiety and depression

Audeb wrote: »
    42 year old female on Effexor for 14+ years with mixed results. Anxiety and depression

Welcome to the thread.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Welcome to the thread..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

It's crazy how anxiety can hold our attention when it strikes. I find it very hard to use my mindfulness exercise when the anxiety begins to snowball. I've been told to keep on doing the exercise, but the temptation to quit is strong.

I still find it crazy with how it can really strike so suddenly one day, bringing with it a wave of paranoia (for me anyway), absolutely draining your energy as others have said, but then the following day you could be okay again (relatively speaking).

Hello! I'm on the same the past couple of months, mixed results too

On a lighter note at least since you started taking them they want generic so are at least cheaper!

All the best

Wilberto wrote: »
    I still find it crazy with how it can really strike so suddenly one day, bringing with it a wave of paranoia (for me anyway), absolutely draining your energy as others have said, but then the following day you could be okay again (relatively speaking).

Indeed. Well said, friend.

How's our main man these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Jesus mother F-ing Christ, the RO-DBT program is challenging and emotionally intense. To the extent that I was considering readmission to St Pats after today's session!

I rang the nurses on the ward and the nurse I was talking to sorted me out. After two months in there ... I'd really hate to be readmitted. :(

Jesus mother F-ing Christ, the RO-DBT program is challenging and emotionally intense. To the extent that I was considering readmission to St Pats after today's session!

I rang the nurses on the ward and the nurse I was talking to sorted me out. After two months in there ... I'd really hate to be readmitted. :(

Sorry to hear that, Lady.

Was today the first session?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Sorry to hear that, Lady.

Was today the first session?

No the third.

But they're definitely stepping it up a lot in terms of emotionally challenging scenarios.

No the third.

But they're definitely stepping it up a lot in terms of emotionally challenging scenarios.

I have no experience in DBT workshops, so maybe some of the others here will reply to this, to give you better advice. I have heard from them that although the workshops are very tough, they have benefitted greatly from them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Indeed. Well said, friend.

How's our main man these days?

Era, ups and downs really but generally okay at at the moment. :)

No the third.

I completed that program Lady. My experience was that it is tough. Very. I say this, not to frighten you but to let you know it's ok to find it hard going.

I think you may get the opportunity the next day to tell the group how you felt about today. You'll probably find more felt the same.

The days between the sessions are as important as the sessions themselves.

Wilberto wrote: »
    Era, ups and downs really but generally okay at at the moment. :)

Glad to hear that you're ok at the moment there. I can really relate to the ups and downs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Getting the clothes out to dry was a little win today

mansize wrote: »
    Getting the clothes out to dry was a little win today

Yes indeed, little victories! I find writing a list of things to do helps, doesn't matter if you don't get to everything!

I'm starting lyrica today, anyone have any experience with it?

Yes indeed, little victories! I find writing a list of things to do helps, doesn't matter if you don't get to everything!

I'm starting lyrica today, anyone have any experience with it?

I've been on it for a few years now. It can be a strong enough drug.

Anxiety is bad today here in work. Am trying the mindfulness exercise for the last two hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

I'm off work today and I wish I'd gone in. My dad died this morning and I'm just sitting watching judge rinder feeling sorry for myself. Going back to work tomorrow. It's the only contact I have with others these days.

Really need to change my life.

• Advertisement

FortySeven wrote:
    Really need to change my life.

My condolences Fortyseven.

I hope you are coping even though its an extremely difficult time.

Advertisement