Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Skybirdjb wrote: »
    This is very good advise , your not trying to prove yourself . hows everyone this morning ? Just waiting for my therapy now , nerves are gone

I've an appointment with my psychiatrist this afternoon my nerves are shot as well, barely able to get out of bed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

This is very good advise , your not trying to prove yourself . hows everyone this morning ? Just waiting for my therapy now , nerves are gone

I was the same with counselling, got anxious about going to talk to to someon about my anxiety.

Wasn't really worth it for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

I'm always honest, probably too honest to be fair. But if your not honest how can you get help. I am fairly comfortable talking about my problems to strangers, i'm very open. I'll just have to say what i feel and be true.

I slept about 12am last night and got up about 8am, feel like i can sleep more now but i'm not going to. I will have a shower and try eat some food. Just feels like i want to bury my head in the sand and forget everything.

I seen a friend post something on FB the other day about that you only live once, but in reality you live every day and only die once. I took some inspiration from that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Can I just say to anyone preparing to engage with a therapist for the first time. Don't expect too much from it.
    Therapy is nothing like what you might see on television where the therapist listens intently for 10 minutes and then says something which significantly lightens your load or removes it completely.
    First off, it can be a challenge to first find a therapist you connect with (it is a different type of relationship but a relationship nonetheless. And then it is a challenge to uncover the layers of your life and experiences which have brought you to seeking help.

No therapist has the perfect answer on their shelf, in a book or in their mind. Therapy is largely about helping you to uncover things about yourself so that you actually make the discovery.

Psychiatrists prescribe medication and often their focus can seem to be on considering if their is a particular prescription which will help your state of mind out of the muddle it is in but very often, if this is achieved, then the real long term work can start.

Therapy is challenging, exhausting, frustrating, but hopefully will also be enlightening, revealing and extremely beneficial. Don't give up if it is a difficult start, it is still a step in the right direction.

How'd it go?

Waiting on my psychiatrist appointment, got bloody soaked on the way here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Skybirdjb

How'd it go?

Waiting on my psychiatrist appointment, got bloody soaked on the way here
    It went good such a headache now after 1.5 hour session ! It's lovely and sunny here

Howre we all this evening?

Howre we all this evening?

Meh :D That's being honest but i can laugh about it. So i still have some humor in me.
    I've been going for a shower since earlier but just no motivation, i had some food at least.
    Shower now and a cup of tea and probably try to sleep early as i have to be up about 7.30 am. I'm even worrying now that my alarm won't go off.

I hear the neighbours laughing next door, and I thought to myself I wish I could laugh again

I feel like Meh too ! Just a very weird day . How are u ?

• Advertisement

I feel like Meh too ! Just a very weird day . How are u ?

We're all meh this evening! Bedtime can't come quick enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Slept in til midnight...turns out being a zombie the day before was pretty much truth...

Felt like I had drank a bottle of Jack Daniels, I slept for so long.
    I got up and got some food.

Stupid dang mouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 yamadeejit

I think I need help. I am only 23, I work in a really fast paced and demanding job. I am lying awake since 4am. I drank a naggin of vodka last night to calm myself down after work. In fact drinking after work has become a frequent occurence for me. Most nights I would have a good bit. Then I feel bad the next day, consider how bad drinking is for you, then pass Tesco on my way home from work the following evening and convince myself that I deserve another drink. I am only 23 and I am a highly qualified professional. This is not how I imagined my first official job to be like. I face the public every day. I have quite a backbone now compared to when I started working in this field a few years ago but some can still get to me. The staff too. Have lost interests in my old hobbies...reading, gyming, running, cycling. I really need a hard kick up the ass. I wish I could get back to my old life before I qualified. I had so little responsibility when I wanted nothing else but more responsibility. Oh what an idiot I was. I used to be on antidepressants but really do not want to go back on them. I have lost all motivation and work has sucked the life and soul out of me. Feel like a shell of my former self.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 purpleorange

Hi everyone, I'm really sorry if this is not the place to ask and mods please remove the post if this is the case. My partner suffers from anxiety/depression and I'm wondering if someone would be able to give me some advice with regard to how I should approach it. It seems to be getting worse, and I know there's nothing I can do to make it better, (he is already in therapy/on medication) I'm looking for advice on the best way to be there/show my support as much as I can. It would be nice to get advice from someone with first hand experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Hi everyone, I'm really sorry if this is not the place to ask and mods please remove the post if this is the case. My partner suffers from anxiety/depression and I'm wondering if someone would be able to give me some advice with regard to how I should approach it. It seems to be getting worse, and I know there's nothing I can do to make it better, (he is already in therapy/on medication) I'm looking for advice on the best way to be there/show my support as much as I can. It would be nice to get advice from someone with first hand experience.

I think it differs from person to person,but it's lovely to see you want to be there. For me the support I notice and appreciate is the friend who rings a little more often when I'm in a bad spot, my sister who starts inviting me over to take the dog for a walk a little more often, the friend who every so often just sends me the little love heart emoji with a how are you, any craic, and opens up a conversation channel I can take if I want or can avoid if I want.

What I'm trying to say is it's the ones that don't force me, or say you have to do this or that. It's the small things like reframing "you need to leave the house" to "can you do me a favour and walk the dog". It's the friends who don't see my anxiety as an elephant in the corner but rather another reason to have a laugh and a joke when I'm being ridiculous (within the bounds of our friendship)!

So just being there, being an ear, but not forcing any issues, and even though it's so frustrating for you, not allowing yourself to be confrontational would be my advise.

There are no hard and fast rules for helping people. Some people react differently to different stimulus than others. Have you spoken to a professional, such as your Dr or his for advice?

When I was suffering, these were things which I think helped me to have people close to me do. It took me a long time to find this out however.

Don't judge, or say things like "you have to be in good form today".
    Try to help me find out if there are triggers which make it worse.
    Encourage me to be proactive, plan (hope) for a good life irrespective of the depression.
    Encourage me to exercise, not because I need to, but because you know I will enjoy it.
    Encourage me to try to do things which I enjoy when in good form.
    Help me to acknowledge the good days.

Something which I think is critical for someone in your position, mind yourself! Fair play for being caring and supportive and reaching out to try to find out more but keep an eye on your own form and try to make sure you have someone to support you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 purpleorange

TG1 wrote: »
    I think it differs from person to person,but it's lovely to see you want to be there. For me the support I notice and appreciate is the friend who rings a little more often when I'm in a bad spot, my sister who starts inviting me over to take the dog for a walk a little more often, the friend who every so often just sends me the little love heart emoji with a how are you, any craic, and opens up a conversation channel I can take if I want or can avoid if I want.

What I'm trying to say is it's the ones that don't force me, or say you have to do this or that. It's the small things like reframing "you need to leave the house" to "can you do me a favour and walk the dog". It's the friends who don't see my anxiety as an elephant in the corner but rather another reason to have a laugh and a joke when I'm being ridiculous (within the bounds of our friendship)!

So just being there, being an ear, but not forcing any issues, and even though it's so frustrating for you, not allowing yourself to be confrontational would be my advise.

Thank you! I'll definitely take all of that on board. I think so far I've yet to do/say anything confrontational, but I'm sure I'll be faced with moments of weakness where I'll have to keep this in mind.
    There are no hard and fast rules for helping people. Some people react differently to different stimulus than others. Have you spoken to a professional, such as your Dr or his for advice?

When I was suffering, these were things which I think helped me to have people close to me do. It took me a long time to find this out however.

Don't judge, or say things like "you have to be in good form today".
    Try to help me find out if there are triggers which make it worse.
    Encourage me to be proactive, plan (hope) for a good life irrespective of the depression.
    Encourage me to exercise, not because I need to, but because you know I will enjoy it.
    Encourage me to try to do things which I enjoy when in good form.
    Help me to acknowledge the good days.

Something which I think is critical for someone in your position, mind yourself! Fair play for being caring and supportive and reaching out to try to find out more but keep an eye on your own form and try to make sure you have someone to support you.

I haven't spoken to a doctor yet, our relationship is relatively new (8 months) but this is something I'll consider next time I visit my own doctor. One of the main things I think we need to do is find his triggers, because he doesn't even know himself. He will just wake up in the morning (or middle of the night) with extremely bad anxiety, and it spirals from there.

One question for the both of you, he's very honest with me about everything but we don't speak about his therapy sessions. I'll ask how it went and he'll give a one word answer. My own opinion is that this is something I'd want to keep private, but would it be crossing the line if I asked him if he'd like to tell me more about the sessions? I just don't want him thinking I'm invading his privacy, I'd only be asking more for his sake if that's what he wanted to speak about rather than mine.

Again, thank you both so much for taking the time to answer, it's extremely insightful to hear your experiences and preferences in these situations as I know everyone is different. I really wish the best for you! I'm going to have a conversation with him tonight about how I can be there, and what works for him.

I haven't spoken to a doctor yet, our relationship is relatively new (8 months) but this is something I'll consider next time I visit my own doctor. One of the main things I think we need to do is find his triggers, because he doesn't even know himself. He will just wake up in the morning (or middle of the night) with extremely bad anxiety, and it spirals from there.

One question for the both of you, he's very honest with me about everything but we don't speak about his therapy sessions. I'll ask how it went and he'll give a one word answer. My own opinion is that this is something I'd want to keep private, but would it be crossing the line if I asked him if he'd like to tell me more about the sessions? I just don't want him thinking I'm invading his privacy, I'd only be asking more for his sake if that's what he wanted to speak about rather than mine.

Again, thank you both so much for taking the time to answer, it's extremely insightful to hear your experiences and preferences in these situations as I know everyone is different. I really wish the best for you! I'm going to have a conversation with him tonight about how I can be there, and what works for him.

You really are trying your best.

It is difficult, and particularly in a new relationship. I think he absolutely has to be comfortable with discussing anything from the therapy sessions, he might not even know how he feels about them or whether or not they are working yet.

I think telling him you are there and willing to listen/help if he wants to discuss the sessions is probably what I would prefer rather than being asked outright to discuss anything (not that you said you would do this) if I was in his position.

8 months ago you (maybe) didn't know this person, now you are in a relationship with them and helping them deal with mental health issues. I repeat what I said above, look after yourself throughout this.

Edit: My experience was largely with depression. Any anxiety I suffered thankfully was not debilitating in the extreme sense. Others might be best placed on giving advice in respect to this.

yamadeejit wrote: »
    I think I need help. I am only 23, I work in a really fast paced and demanding job. I am lying awake since 4am. I drank a naggin of vodka last night to calm myself down after work. In fact drinking after work has become a frequent occurence for me. Most nights I would have a good bit. Then I feel bad the next day, consider how bad drinking is for you, then pass Tesco on my way home from work the following evening and convince myself that I deserve another drink. I am only 23 and I am a highly qualified professional. This is not how I imagined my first official job to be like. I face the public every day. I have quite a backbone now compared to when I started working in this field a few years ago but some can still get to me. The staff too. Have lost interests in my old hobbies...reading, gyming, running, cycling. I really need a hard kick up the ass. I wish I could get back to my old life before I qualified. I had so little responsibility when I wanted nothing else but more responsibility. Oh what an idiot I was. I used to be on antidepressants but really do not want to go back on them. I have lost all motivation and work has sucked the life and soul out of me. Feel like a shell of my former self.

You need to take tomorrow off and go to your GP

Feeling ****ty today, had to take two valium to get me out of bed. Wish this morning anxiety would go **** itself!

• Advertisement

I went to see psychiatrist this morning, felt fairly comfortable. Lot's of questions asked.
    I just hope the insurance company will process the claim quickly and in my favour as i could really do with the money. One less thing to worry about.

Had to take two buses to get out there. But after appointment i walked along the sea shore and just felt good, just felt free if that makes any sense.

I printed this off for my family. It's just basically things not to say to someone who is depressed.

https://medium.com/thrive-global/10-things-not-to-say-to-a-depressed-person-1d771e9265f7

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    I went to see psychiatrist this morning, felt fairly comfortable. Lot's of questions asked.
    I just hope the insurance company will process the claim quickly and in my favour as i could really do with the money. One less thing to worry about.

Had to take two buses to get out there. But after appointment i walked along the sea shore and just felt good, just felt free if that makes any sense.
    Glad it went well for U and sounds like a lovely walk after ! Raining here and it doesn't help the mood but I got the food shop done !! Woo woo ( with the help of my mum ) hope everyone is ok

Glad it went well for U and sounds like a lovely walk after ! Raining here and it doesn't help the mood but I got the food shop done !! Woo woo ( with the help of my mum ) hope everyone is ok

Have class tonight. So anxious about getting the bus in then finding a seat in class. Had a coffee to wake me up but it's only made me more anxious

I find walking in the rain very therapeutic, My CBT counselor said the same to me, obviously not if you are going somewhere. I try stay close to home so i can have a hot shower when i come back.

Now to worry about my blood test on Thursday. Never ending :D

Have class tonight. So anxious about getting the bus in then finding a seat in class. Had a coffee to wake me up but it's only made me more anxious

The bus i got this morning was jammed but i didn't feel anxious. Even walking through the City (Dublin) i felt comfortable and enjoyed it, even took a few pics.

Try decaffeinated coffee. Tastes much the same but i find it doesn't make me anxious or give me palpation's.

I find walking in the rain very therapeutic, My CBT counselor said the same to me, obviously not if you are going somewhere. I try stay close to home so i can have a hot shower when i come back.

Now to worry about my blood test on Thursday. Never ending :D

What's your blood test for? I'm sure it'll come back just fine! 😀

What's your blood test for? I'm sure it'll come back just fine! ��

Everything, Full Blood count. Really nervous about it. I keep on putting it off which makes me more anxious. My Doctor said i'll always be anxious if i don't go through with it. She's probably right, I am just overthinking that i will get a call to come in to see Doctor about results. Puts the fear of God into me.

Everything, Full Blood count. Really nervous about it. I keep on putting it off which makes me more anxious. My Doctor said i'll always be anxious if i don't go through with it. She's probably right, I am just overthinking that i will get a call to come in to see Doctor about results. Puts the fear of God into me.

I'm the same was waiting for doctor to ring about MRI results nearly went mad waiting 🙄 Just had a walk myself in the rain

• Advertisement

I'm the same was waiting for doctor to ring about MRI results nearly went mad waiting 🙄 Just had a walk myself in the rain

I'd take a walk in the rain in exchange for doing this bloody class!

Advertisement