Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Can't stress enough about going to your GP.

If anything it's a first port of call and it's making the first step.

Xanax for me is a lifesaver but for someone with a problem with addictions have to manage it although never had an issue with the Xanax.

Problem for me was I self medicated with booze. Got to a stage that I went on a three week bender that I couldn't get out of. I did and the withdrawals we're horrendous to say the least.

I did all the as and counselling etc. but they weren't for me. I still drink but I also manage that. I just wanted a few hours of peace knowing full well that it's a depressant and I'll feel worse...so you'd go again.

Your gp will give you options, not just meds and it will help to talk to them about it.

Best wishes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Crap day today haven't left the bed :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,447 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

****ed up last night and feeling sad and guilty.. Bugger..

****ed up last night and feeling sad and guilty.. Bugger..

Oh no. What happened?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,447 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Just fell into a bad habit I thought I was rid of.. Its all ok I'm being looked after. I've good support these days thankfully, hope you are doing ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Skybirdjb

Crap day here too . But going to try and relax now with a cuppa onwards and upwards and all that jazz

What's everyone up to this evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

What's everyone up to this evening?

Overthinking as usual. Had a small argument with my brother and mother earlier as i could hear them talking about me behind my back, maybe i heard wrong and they weren't actually talking about me, maybe i am just being paranoid. Ended up just getting back into bed and pulling the duvet over my head.

The vile message from my ex is still taunting my brain too.

For tomorrow my plan is to get up early, shower then have a smoothie. My friend usually calls up every Sunday and we take our dogs for a walk. Then Celtic are playing in a cup game so will watch that in the afternoon.

I really need to get out of this habit of just getting back into bed. I don't even sleep half the time but then it also means i missing out on taking in food and water which doesn't help energy levels at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Crap day today haven't left the bed :(

I know it sounds cliche-but get up an eat something.

For the last two days my sleep was all over the shop... a barking dog the day before, and construction work the next day...kept my sleep crazy, so that I slept in until midnight/ 2 am.

But I got up and ate something. I feel really tired and drained today, but been drinking a lot of coffee and eating small stuff.

Even if you get up at 2 am, do it-just eat something.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Skybirdjb

Anyone feel sometimes that they worry that their partners going to just get sick of them ? Like I worry that he will just get sick of me being like this and he might run away
    It's a thing that's heavy on my mind at the moment . I can't work so you know illness benefit really doesn't cover everything so he's under pressure trying to provide etc
    I feel so sad a lot of the time and just had a secret cry in the shower .....sorry rant over

• Advertisement

I know it sounds cliche-but get up an eat something.

For the last two days my sleep was all over the shop... a barking dog the day before, and construction work the next day...kept my sleep crazy, so that I slept in until midnight/ 2 am.

But I got up and ate something. I feel really tired and drained today, but been drinking a lot of coffee and eating small stuff.

Even if you get up at 2 am, do it-just eat something.

I just don't seem to have an appetite like i used to. Some day's good, other day's bad and when i don't eat properly it doesn't help my mood or energy levels but i cannot force feed myself.
    I see people in restaurants enjoying a nice meal wishing i could be the same like i used to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    I just don't seem to have an appetite like i used to. Some day's good, other day's bad and when i don't eat properly it doesn't help my mood or energy levels but i cannot force feed myself.
    I see people in restaurants enjoying a nice meal wishing i could be the same like i used to be.

Toast, yoghurt-a tea, a coffee... anything.

I often do the 'I wish I was them' comparison too...I wish I could change things etc etc...

I can't offer solutions for that, just a 'me too' deal.

This may sound like a weird thing to suggest, but do you think there's any positive to a meet up? Whether it be for a pint or two or a coffee. I know if find it good to meet up with like minded folk. (Having said that, we'd probably end up all cancelling last-minute due to social anxiety :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,296 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

This may sound like a weird thing to suggest, but do you think there's any positive to a meet up? Whether it be for a pint or two or a coffee. I know if find it good to meet up with like minded folk. (Having said that, we'd probably end up all cancelling last-minute due to social anxiety :)

Did make me chuckle reading this.

I was only thinking about that myself today. I would be up for it anyway.

Skybirdjb wrote: »
    Anyone feel sometimes that they worry that their partners going to just get sick of them ? Like I worry that he will just get sick of me being like this and he might run away
    It's a thing that's heavy on my mind at the moment . I can't work so you know illness benefit really doesn't cover everything so he's under pressure trying to provide etc
    I feel so sad a lot of the time and just had a secret cry in the shower .....sorry rant over

Always, all of the time and always, seems to be a pretty regular concern with myself and friends, hard not to not think these things

So tired. Feel like I'm going to collapse. Everytime I sit or lie down though I feel like I can't breathe. Been pacing the floor for the last 3 hours

Have to say the Xanax is helping, got to sleep relatively easy and not too many thoughts in my head.

Bit more talkative to my folks.
    Living at home at the minute, I'm 39, that in itself drives me mental, not the actual being at home, just having to rely on people. Dad gives me a lift to the bus to get to wo everyday and hate relying on him. He's 74 although more active outside around the house than I am ha.

Was living on my own for a while but was too close to an off licence so old habits die hard.

It wasn't like I was meeting anyone when I went to the offy or the pub attached. Probably just loneliness.

Anyway, sorry for the long post of a Sunday morning :)

The Xanax does help me relax and seems like the real me.

I know antidepressants etc. Are only so you can tackle issues, went to the counselor when I was on them before but I don't have underlying issues and hate the way they try and dig as if there is something there :)

Back to work tomorrow after a week off and looki forward to it. I don't have 'much' stress at work, been there 11 years ha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,817 ✭✭✭masterboy123

Using Xanax on a short term (less than 4 weeks) is OK in some cases.

However, please note Xanax has a strong potential to become dependent on them and also tolerant to your current dosage of Xanax.

Hope it helps.
    petes wrote: »
    Have to say the Xanax is helping, got to sleep relatively easy and not too many thoughts in my head.

Living at home at the minute, I'm 39, that in itself drives me mental, not the actual being at home, just having to rely on people. Dad gives me a lift to the bus to get to wo everyday and hate relying on him. He's 74 although more active outside around the house than I am ha.

Was living on my own for a while but was too close to an off licence so old habits die hard.

It wasn't like I was meeting anyone when I went to the offy or the pub attached. Probably just loneliness.

I know antidepressants etc. Are only so you can tackle issues, went to the counselor when I was on them before but I don't have underlying issues and hate the way they try and dig as if there is something there :)

Back to work tomorrow after a week off and looki forward to it. I don't have 'much' stress at work, been there 11 years ha

However, please note Xanax has a strong potential to become dependent on them and also tolerant to your current dosage of Xanax.

Hope it helps.

I know thanks, if you read a few posts up I know how to manage it. Unfortunately, I'm not a case for short term use.

Also on sertraline 100 but the last time I was on it not sure I felt any different (tried different ones also)

• Advertisement

Also, before I take any medication I fully research it to a point where I ciul prescribe it myself haha

Hope it helps.

Also just to note, this is sound advice for anyone thinking of starting a course!

Same age as yourself and same position too. Back living at home, been out sick from work for over a year now.
    About 3 years ago i would just go for a few beers with friends at the weekend, then it started everynight when i came home from work.
    Now it's drinking at home, First thing i do when i wake is crack open a drink, not good at all.
    Have talked to my GP about this, I don't have anymore Xanax but have Valium but find it doesn't seem to work well with me so i just start to drink.

My GP prescribed me Librium to stop the withdrawls but i first need to stop drinking as cannot take both together.

I am pretty sure that if i can sort out my drinking problem my anxiety and Depression will dissapear. I just don't really know what to expect if i wake in the morning and take the Librium and no alcohol.
    And i have to go to a funeral tomorrow so probably not the best day to start taking it. I fear if i am in the church having not drank i will feel panicky and uneasy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,817 ✭✭✭masterboy123

You're welcome.

I hope people will find this tip helpful, who hope that benzodiazepines will cure their root cause problem, which is not the case.

Having said this, I do prescribe benzodiazepines for my patients who would clinically need them, after discussing the pros and cons, and I always keep the prescription to a minimum number of days.

ALWAYS CONSULT YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE TRYING ANY PRESCRIPTION MEDICINE.

Have a good Sunday everyone :)
    Also just to note, this is sound advice for anyone thinking of starting a course!

Day 2 of being in bed :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Day 2 of being in bed :(

It still daylight.

You 'could' get up, go for 5 minutes of a walk, have a shower and be back in bed in 1 hour if you don't want to do anything else.

Doing either or both of the above could help you break the hold of the bed if you want to do so. It's easy type it, can be harder do it, I know.

It still daylight.

You 'could' get up, go for 5 minutes of a walk, have a shower and be back in bed in 1 hour if you don't want to do anything else.

Doing either or both of the above could help you break the hold of the bed if you want to do so. It's easy type it, can be harder do it, I know.

I got my lazy arse out of bed and had a bite to eat :)

How is everyone doing this evening?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Has anyone heard of this NoFap thing, apparently it's good for your brain or something.

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    Has anyone heard of this NoFap thing, apparently it's good for your brain or something.

Are you being serious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Are you being serious

Yes, I just read a whole thing about it.

Advertisement