Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Skybirdjb

How's everyone ? Such a foggy morning goes with the fog in my brain

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Skybirdjb wrote: »
    How's everyone ? Such a foggy morning goes with the fog in my brain

Missed a blood test in the hospital because I couldn't get out of bed. I'll make it tomorrow

Currently waiting in the doctors for my illness benefit form, apparently the doctor has to see you every 3 weeks now. Hope they don't charge me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Oh bugger, no way to get money back?. Are you ok?.

No, more down than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Missed a blood test in the hospital because I couldn't get out of bed. I'll make it tomorrow

Currently waiting in the doctors for my illness benefit form, apparently the doctor has to see you every 3 weeks now. Hope they don't charge me

I've done that a few times.
    Woke at 7am this morning after about 6/7 hours sleep. Went back about 9.30 untill 12pm.
    I really need to not try and nap again. Going to try have some beans and toast with tea. Football on tonight too so looking forward to that.

I am also having very strange dreams too.

So they charged me, 60 euro for literally 2 minutes. What a joke

• Advertisement

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    No, more down than anything.

That's awful hope your ok

So they charged me, 60 euro for literally 2 minutes. What a joke

I got my form today too , didn't have to see the doc thank god madness having to pay for it I mean the illness benefit is crap as it is without that

Skybirdjb wrote: »
    I got my form today too , didn't have to see the doc thank god madness having to pay for it I mean the illness benefit is crap as it is without that

Do you normally get charged when you've to see the doctor for ib form?

Have you not tried to apply for a medical card ? I got one after been out for 6 months.
    It was bad enough getting 198 and then having to splash out 60 for GP visit.
    I didn't have to pay for cert but had to pay when i was due a review with GP.

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    Have you not tried to apply for a medical card ? I got one after been out for 6 months.

Must try and get one so

• Advertisement

Must try and get one so

It's quite a simple process, I done it all online. Also good for Dentist visit as instead of having to pay over €50 for a check up and scale and polish it only cost's 15. I need Veneers aswell and can claim two with the card so saving over €200. Still need a lot more done but plan on doing it abroad when i am back to myself.

I must give it a go too .... Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

BohsCeltic wrote: »

I must try this. It's the only thing stopping me going to talk to someone is no money for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I must try this. It's the only thing stopping me going to talk to someone is no money for it.

Be careful, not sure that counselling services are covered on medical card.

Be careful, not sure that counselling services are covered on medical card.

No affiliation but my mind.ie provide low cost services if you provide proof of income. Can do online counselling too

No harm in trying. My GP let me pay €5 a week as i couldn't afford the full amount so maybe one avenue to try.
    Your GP can also advise you of free of charge counselors in your area too.
    I was lucky that my job paid for all my counselling.

Just call your GP and explain your situation to them.

I just feel so frustrated with myself today . Like I'm a disaster if you know what I mean . I used to be able to do what ever I wanted . With the physical stuff I can't even go for a short walk and I'm in pain ..... Used to work 10 hours a day on my feet all day -step count used to say 15km a day in work . Think my head doesn't help the body and my body doesn't help the head . Hope my consultant appointment comes soon so I can start getting it sorted

Sorry rant over .......

Skybirdjb wrote:
    Sorry rant over .......

Don't ever be sorry for ranting. That's what we are here for.

Don't ever be sorry for ranting. That's what we are here for.

Thank :) just feel like I'm going explode if I don't rant

How are u doing ???

Skybirdjb wrote:
    How are u doing ???

Absolutely poxy! :)

But getting there. Hoping that tomorrow will be a little bit better than today. Will hope that again tomorrow. Eventually will be where I need to be.

• Advertisement

Absolutely poxy! :)

But getting there. Hoping that tomorrow will be a little bit better than today. Will hope that again tomorrow. Eventually will be where I need to be.

That's actually a great few words there dunne . I keep reading it

Skybirdjb wrote:
    That's actually a great few words there dunne . I keep reading it

Ha. Thanks. I impressed myself when I typed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭alanzo27

Hi guys. I hope everyone is well. :) I am not new to this thread and I do read comments but I may not always be active. I might be venting here so apologies in advance, and also thank you in advance if you manage to read through this text wall.

I've been feeling awful lately. I secured an IT apprenticeship with a large company in August of last year. I was one year seeking work before that. It's been a bumpy road since the beginning. It is my first entry into the workforce and I couldn't believe that I was offered a place. I have been to college but dropped out and have done several further education courses since, but I have never had a job.

The apprenticeship is of 2 years duration, and the first six months consisted of full time college. I am well in the acedemic side of things, but when I started the work placement a month ago things started spiralling downwards.

At this stage of the apprenticeship I attend external training 2 days per week and work 3 days per week.

I was expecting to be trained within the workplace in a structured manner with my mentor, but I was just thrown in the deep end. As much as I want to speak up I feel completely frozen and can't even follow the most basic of tasks. I don't know how to ask for direction and unless I am given instruction I struggle immensely. I also keep forgetting what I am supposed to be doing.

I haven't been coping at all and last Friday I had to go to my GP. I was just staring into the void and I felt lifeless. He increased my dosage of Sertraline to 150mg. I haven't been sleeping at all and have been worrying myself sick about being in work.

Officially I am diagnosed with Generalised Anxiety Disorder, Social Anxiety Disorder and Clinical Depression.

I feel so useless and I fear that I won't be able to function in any job I try. I am so slow at doing things and I can't even focus on what people are saying to me. I am also very clumsy and I can't remember what has just been said to me. It is also a very social atmosphere and I feel like I just don't fit in. I don't have any interests and I have been isolating myself, making me seem odd to the others. I've been wanting to talk to my boss/workplace mentor but haven't had the courage.

I feel like I have lost my thought process and that I cannot function in a neurotypical world. I also feel like everything is going too fast and that I won't be able to keep up.

I don't want to seem like I don't appreciate this fantastic opportunity that has been offered to me because I do.

I have also been doing some research and I found that I have personality traits that may indicate that I am on the Autism Spectrum, which may be why I have been struggling all of my life. I can't speak to my GP as he just puts it all down to my anxiety.

I just don't know what to do. I have had a terrible few weeks.

Hello and welcome.

Well done on getting the apprenticeship. After being out of work for so long, it must have been a relief. It does sound like it is a bit daunting at this point. Difficult as it may sound to consider but I think you need to speak directly with your line manager or supervisor and tell them that you are struggling to cope. They should most definitely put a plan in place to help you get back on top of things. This is an apprenticeship, it is their job to train you.

On the health front, I would strongly suggest not trying to self-diagnose and to say away from Dr Google who will tell you if you stub your toe that you may be about to die from a blood clot!
    If you trust your GP, follow his advice and take confidence from his view that you do not need to be assessed further at this point.

Finally, a break may help you but I know if work is difficult you might end up more stressed while out at the thought of going back.
    Could you plan for a break maybe in 4-6 weeks and use that time to try to get on top of the work in conjunction with your line manager who will hopefully guide you. The anticipation of having some time off might really help get through this rough period.

It may feel like things are getting worse but I would hope that with some time and support you will get on top of things.

Hi and welcome.
    I agree with what tell me how said, don't use Dr Google, it will just make you more anxious.

Maybe try and get a second opinion from another GP ?

Thanks for reading my post both of you.

I always try to refrain from diagnosing myself. This is something that I have thought of for a while and although I hate labels I feel I may fall into that. I'm afraid that if I ask for a second opinion that the doctor may think that I am just worrying too much.

I have spoken to my parents before about it and they have said it may be something to look into as some of my behaviours throughout my childhood suggest it may have been overlooked.

I do have time booked off in May so I will have time to try and get out of this negative mindset. My boss is away a lot so it is hard to have a chat with.

Sorry about all of the ranting. I just feel like I am able to get things off my chest a lot easier through text than I can talking.

alanzo27 wrote: »

I always try to refrain from diagnosing myself. This is something that I have thought of for a while and although I hate labels I feel I may fall into that. I'm afraid that if I ask for a second opinion that the doctor may think that I am just worrying too much.

I have spoken to my parents before about it and they have said it may be something to look into as some of my behaviours throughout my childhood suggest it may have been overlooked.

I do have time booked off in May so I will have time to try and get out of this negative mindset. My boss is away a lot so it is hard to have a chat with.

Sorry about all of the ranting. I just feel like I am able to get things off my chest a lot easier through text than I can talking.

You are not ranting, you are being open and honest which is a strength. The Doctor won't think you are worrying too much, all you are doing is looking for a second opinion.
    Not sure of your age but if you and your parents feel you may have some form of Autism be prepared to wait a long time for diagnosis if going the public route.

My 3 year old Nephew has ASD and my Sister and her Husband had to borrow money to go private as the waiting list was over 2 years if going public.

Best wishes.

alanzo27 wrote: »

Maybe you could email your boss and and tell them you are having some difficulties and ask that they schedule some time to have a chat or that they advise you speak to someone else in order to put a plan in place to overcome the difficulties.

I think at the very least having a plan in place before you take time off is essential for you to be able to enjoy the break. Best case scenario, you get some good guidance/direction/instruction and are back on top of things even before the break.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate you talking to me. I will be in the workplace tomorrow so I will try to have a chat with my mentor.

I am 26.

Before I go into that possible route I was thinking of looking for groups that I could attend to try and talk about my concerns with others that may feel the same way.

I'm trying to take it one step at a time. I am trying not to think about tomorrow as well. I get extremely anxious this time of the week as I know I am in the workplace for the rest of the week.

• Advertisement

Double post.

Advertisement