Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,447 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

alanzo27 wrote: »
    Thanks guys. I really appreciate you talking to me. I will be in the workplace tomorrow so I will try to have a chat with my mentor.

I am 26.

Before I go into that possible route I was thinking of looking for groups that I could attend to try and talk about my concerns with others that may feel the same way.

I'm trying to take it one step at a time. I am trying not to think about tomorrow as well. I get extremely anxious this time of the week as I know I am in the workplace for the rest of the week.

Aware often have groups around the country that may help.. I think you should maybe contact the people who set up the apprenticeship too, personally i find email easier as i often lock up with anxiety when talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Skybirdjb

alanzo27 wrote: »
    Thanks guys. I really appreciate you talking to me. I will be in the workplace tomorrow so I will try to have a chat with my mentor.

I am 26.

Before I go into that possible route I was thinking of looking for groups that I could attend to try and talk about my concerns with others that may feel the same way.

I'm trying to take it one step at a time. I am trying not to think about tomorrow as well. I get extremely anxious this time of the week as I know I am in the workplace for the rest of the week.

Hi ! Just want to say well done on getting the apprenticeship first and just give my 2 cents
    I'm a manager in work (when I'm not off sick) and have had many trainees in my time and a lot of them would have pulled me to the side and said they needed an extra bit of help and were struggling with whatever tasks .
    I always thought to myself that it takes guts to ask for the extra help and actually admired that about them
    Don't know if this helps at all

Good luck today alanzo27

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

How's everyone doing today?

How's everyone doing today?

Hi how are u ?
    Just had my mum and dad over for lunch so that was nice . Also had a little walk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭vmb

Hi all.

I'm seriously struggling with my mental health. I've been getting worse, and now I'm in bed almost all day.

My psychiatrist have increased my medication, but it is not working. Today I've been talking to my psychologist and I've been told that maybe I need to be admitted.

Does anybody know if that is an option? my psychologist does not know the irish health system.

I've been on SSRI before (lots of them) and never responded, so I'm afraid I do not have too many options.

I have no idea what to do, but I know that I need something

vmb wrote:

Can't give too much advice I'm afraid as I don't know your specifics but I recommend you go to your GP and they'll be able to point you the right way.

Keep going and remember we are here if you need to talk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,909 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

vmb wrote: »
    Hi all.

I'm seriously struggling with my mental health. I've been getting worse, and now I'm in bed almost all day.

My psychiatrist have increased my medication, but it is not working. Today I've been talking to my psychologist and I've been told that maybe I need to be admitted.

Does anybody know if that is an option? my psychologist does not know the irish health system.

I've been on SSRI before (lots of them) and never responded, so I'm afraid I do not have too many options.

St Patricks Mental Health Hospital in Dublin is one of the primary locations for inpatient mental health treatment in the country.

You do need to have health insurance in order to attend however.

Your GP is usually the person who writes to them suggesting that you be admitted.

Is your GP familiar with the treatment you have been receiving from both your psychiatrist and psychologist? If not, ask both to write to your Dr explaining the treatment you have been on and their view on your status.

Arrange an appointment with your GP to discuss inpatient options.

vmb wrote: »
    Hi all.

Hi
    Firstly want to say how strong and brave you are to admit how much you are struggling at the moment
    I second the opinion that really your gp is your first port of call to discuss the options on inpatient treatment
    We are all here if u need to vent

Can't give too much advice I'm afraid as I don't know your specifics but I recommend you go to your GP and they'll be able to point you the right way.

Keep going and remember we are here if you need to talk.

How are you today dunne ?

• Advertisement

Skybirdjb wrote:
    How are you today dunne ?

Little bit better :)

Little bit better :)

:)
    Better today than yesterday and better tomorrow than today :):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Anyone on this thread thinks this article makes a lot of sense?

https://www.independent.ie/ca/life/health-wellbeing/psychotherapist-stella-omalley-why-its-not-always-good-to-talk--38009155.html

First thing I have seen in mainstream media in a long time that hits the nail on the head. I know it's well intentioned but all the nice catchphrases around mental health, I feel really miss the point and kind of gloss over the surface and may do more harm than good.

First thing I have seen in mainstream media in a long time that hits the nail on the head. I know it's well intentioned but all the nice catchphrases around mental health, I feel really miss the point and kind of gloss over the surface and may do more harm than good.

Haven't had a chance to read it in full but all I can say is that when Bressie comes out and tells everyone that its ok not to be ok or when I see Instagram's of people who are (admittedly well meaning) saying that they are always there (despite being self centred arseholes who would spit on you rather than help you, it boils my blood.

I know it's hypocritical because I don't know other people's struggles but when I see someone who never has been to a doctor or ever had a history of mental illness feeling a bit down or having a bad day but saying they suffer from depression,it annoys me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Haven't had a chance to read it in full but all I can say is that when Bressie comes out and tells everyone that its ok not to be ok or when I see Instagram's of people who are (admittedly well meaning) saying that they are always there (despite being self centred arseholes who would spit on you rather than help you, it boils my blood.

I know it's hypocritical because I don't know other people's struggles but when I see someone who never has been to a doctor or ever had a history of mental illness feeling a bit down or having a bad day but saying they suffer from depression,it annoys me.

Same man. Or celebs saying "yeah I was depressed for a couple months but now I'm grand". Doesn't work that way.

Article is worth a read though.

Keep tying a response but can't get my words to come out right so I keep deleting it :(
    My hands are very shaky tonight for some reason and my brain seems to going at hyper speed, feel a bit panicky and on edge .....like I'm going to meltdown or something

Don't worry about words being right. There is no wrong or right. Just type what's in your head and get it out there. We understand

Don't worry about words being right. There is no wrong or right. Just type what's in your head and get it out there. We understand

Just can't make sense of my brain tonight , it's all jumbled up nothing makes sense and I feel dizzy
    Scared of the dreams I will have tonight when my brains like this

Skybirdjb wrote:
    Just can't make sense of my brain tonight , it's all jumbled up nothing makes sense and I feel dizzy Scared of the dreams I will have tonight when my brains like this

I've been there. Trust me,the dreams will be a hell of a lot better than staying awake trying to make sense of it. Plus when you open your eyes tomorrow, it's a brand new day. You've got this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Been dreadful last few days. Doc today- hate going out in public

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Strange day and night yesterday. Went to bed 12am Tuesday and got up at 8am. No nap during the day.
    Was up watching TV untill 2.30am then could not sleep at all. Was still awake at 6am this morning and got some broken sleep untill about 10.30am.

I don't feel tired. I am taking multi vitamins so they might be helping my energy levels.

My Psoriasis is really getting me down, think that's why i couldnt sleep well as i was so itchy. So once again it's either sleep for long or awake for nearly 20 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    Strange day and night yesterday. Went to bed 12am Tuesday and got up at 8am. No nap during the day.
    Was up watching TV untill 2.30am then could not sleep at all. Was still awake at 6am this morning and got some broken sleep untill about 10.30am.

I don't feel tired. I am taking multi vitamins so they might be helping my energy levels.

My Psoriasis is really getting me down, think that's why i couldnt sleep well as i was so itchy. So once again it's either sleep for long or awake for nearly 20 hours.

Are you seeing a dermatologist?

Are you seeing a dermatologist?

Just my GP. Everyday i have to put on 3 different creams 2 times a day. Pain in the ars* especially when mood is low.
    Waiting list for public is over 1 year. If i get my insurance from my job i will go private.

I have previously battled acne and won, when i had that i was depressed really bad. I would cry constantly but the treatment worked and my mood was the best i ever felt in my life. I have no scars but i still remember the pain and shame of it, it cost me to walk out of 2 good jobs and treatment cost a lot of money

I don't mind it being on my body because no one will see but it is all over my forehead now.

My GP said stress can make it worse, well i am stressing so much now. I am trying to be upbeat but i have to wear a cap when going to the shop.

I'm in the mood to go out over the weekend and enjoy it but not with that on my face. It just brings back memories from when i had acne and i would do the same. Avoiding social situations due to my skin but i really want to be with my friends and family.

I am nearly 100% that when i had acne it started my depression.
    If my face was clear now i would love to go out for a walk and talk to people and enjoy life but everytime i start to feel good something always crops up.
    I really want to go back to work but now with this on my head it's not going to happen for a while causing more financial strain and stress.

BohsCeltic wrote:
    I am nearly 100% that when i had acne it started my depression. If my face was clear now i would love to go out for a walk and talk to people and enjoy life but everytime i start to feel good something always crops up. I really want to go back to work but now with this on my head it's not going to happen for a while causing more financial strain and stress.

Where you based mate? I'm free for a pint any evening you want to get out for half an hour.

Where you based mate? I'm free for a pint any evening you want to get out for half an hour.

Thank you. Dublin 15. I have a wide circle of really good friends but now having psoriasis is making me feel embarrassed to go to social events.
    Currently sitting out my back garden now with my dogs enjoying the sun which supposedly helps.
    Done a bit today and had good healthy food. Tomorrow I need to really sort my room out again. I don't like clutter but it's getting the motivation to do it.
    Having a nice fresh room and bed will help me for sure.
    So many things I want and need to do but it's just getting that kick start to do it.

The sun does help man. And never be embarrassed about it. (Easier said than done I know). I guarantee you notice it more than anyone else does.

But stressing makes it worse so it's a poxy catch 22. Just take your time. Don't worry

It's a lovely evening which is nice to see . The sun is lovely . Got to the shops today to get some Easter eggs. I used to be so organised and have everything ready now it's just so hard to do anything
    Hope everyone is ok

The sun does help man. And never be embarrassed about it. (Easier said than done I know). I guarantee you notice it more than anyone else does.

But stressing makes it worse so it's a poxy catch 22. Just take your time. Don't worry

I know, it was the same when i had acne, no one really noticed or said anything but to me it was like i was magnifying it when everyone else said it's fine. My acne was cystic mostly around my jaw and t zone which made it really difficult to eat even a burger as the pain was so sore trying to open my mouth.
    Skybirdjb wrote: »
    It's a lovely evening which is nice to see . The sun is lovely . Got to the shops today to get some Easter eggs. I used to be so organised and have everything ready now it's just so hard to do anything
    Hope everyone is ok

I know the feeling, I used to love especially on Christmas Eve going early to pick up the last few bits and pieces but last time it just felt meh.

Simple plan for tomorrow, Cut my front and back garden, get some sun and clean my room.
    I really need to change my environment to help improve things. My Mother and Sister even offered to help but i felt embarrassed to accept .

More than welcome to come over and cut my grass if you want 

The wife has been on at me for ages to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

More than welcome to come over and cut my grass if you want 

The wife has been on at me for ages to do it.

Tell her to do it :)

Advertisement