Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Was looking forward to doing Darkness into Light tomorrow morning but the two people who were meant to do it with me cancelled on me. I'm not going to do it on my own. I wasn't in a good place the last two years and was looking forward to it this year.

I am doing it with my friend and his Sister. PM me and walk with us.

Done it and it made me feel better. I wanted to support my friend who's father took his own life and also my friend who done the same recently.

I walked it but in the company of thousands of like minded people. We'll never walk alone.

There is hope out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Skybirdjb

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    Done it and it made me feel better. I wanted to support my friend who's father took his own life and also my friend who done the same recently.

I walked it but in the company of thousands of like minded people. We'll never walk alone.

There is hope out there.
    Well done for doing it ! That was a great achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

I'm bed bound today with anxiety attacks :(

I'm bed bound today with anxiety attacks :(

Oh no hope your ok .

• Advertisement

Skybirdjb wrote: »
    Oh no hope your ok .

Feel like heading out and getting a bottle of vodka... I know that's not the answer but I'm really suffering today. Any advice much appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Skybirdjb wrote: »
    Oh no hope your ok .

Feel like heading out and getting a bottle of vodka... I know that's not the answer but I'm really suffering today. Any advice much appreciated

I get really obsessed with music and during some of my worst times I listened to snow patrol this isn't everything you are over and over. It seems silly but it always settled my head enough to get a bit of rational thought going again

It helps me to write down how I'm feeling in a journal it lightens the load in my brain .and watch a film a funny one so you can try and switch off just for a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Red Lightning

BohsCeltic wrote:
    I am doing it with my friend and his Sister. PM me and walk with us.

Thank you for the offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I know what you mean. When I had to give up my toxic job I missed the purpose and challenge. Trying to fill the empty days has been hard and does get me down. There is so much Day time TV you can watch. I do get out and I think that's important. Meet friends, walk by the sea. Bitchy most importantly, Go back to your GP and tell them how you are struggling. It's very important not to bottle this up. Take the help that's offered and hopefully you will be up to strength again to return to work. You are still young and your best years are still ahead of you to fulfill your dreams. All the best.

Could you do some voluntary work? it is so much needed and a real support to others. Ask at the Citizens info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 123sheepdip

Graces7 wrote: »
    Could you do some voluntary work? it is so much needed and a real support to others. Ask at the Citizens info.

I did look into that already and it's still a possibility but I wanted to get back to work sooner rather than later and a lot of offers were looking for 6 month commitment. Now I realise I probably won't get back to work in the near future so it's still an option. Thanks.

Obviously the advice would be not to do it as it's a short term solution which will do no good in the long term. What help are you getting for your anxiety ? Is it not working ?

Obviously the advice would be not to do it as it's a short term solution which will do no good in the long term. What help are you getting for your anxiety ? Is it not working ?

You're right. I need to reassess what is and isn't working for me.

How's everyone doing this evening?

Second day on a slightly lower dose of my meds and I'm actually not sure how I feel about it.

I thought I'd be delighted to make a downwards adjustment but I'm feeling a bit closer to anxiety than I have in a while and I'm not sure if it's because I'm thinking about the meds, or because all that was keeping me at the point I was at was the meds, or if it is the famous side effects of trying to come off this medication.

Always the roller coaster, life is never easy I suppose. I should just be glad after months of just going up and up in doses I'm now trying to go down....

TG1 wrote: »
    Second day on a slightly lower dose of my meds and I'm actually not sure how I feel about it.

I thought I'd be delighted to make a downwards adjustment but I'm feeling a bit closer to anxiety than I have in a while and I'm not sure if it's because I'm thinking about the meds, or because all that was keeping me at the point I was at was the meds, or if it is the famous side effects of trying to come off this medication.

Always the roller coaster, life is never easy I suppose. I should just be glad after months of just going up and up in doses I'm now trying to go down....

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing that. Which medication are you coming off?

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing that. Which medication are you coming off?

Venlafaxine. I've only gone down by 75mgs but I'm just a bit unsure. It's probably just a temporary thing but after a month or so of feeling better than I had in about thirty years I'm probably over sensitive to any bit of anything at the moment!

Venlafaxine. I've only gone down by 75mgs but I'm just a bit unsure. It's probably just a temporary thing but after a month or so of feeling better than I had in about thirty years I'm probably over sensitive to any bit of anything at the moment!

I came off that a couple of years back, did it slowly so don't remember it being too bad. Did they give you any valium etc to tide you over?

Nope, just drop by 75mgs and see what happens, I was on 225 so down to 150 now so still getting a bit into my system! I'd say it's mostly just me panicking myself about coming off it.

That's the thing with anxiety isnt it, you believe your brain for so long that even when you know it lies to you you still find it hard to believe you are ok....

How's everyone doing this evening?

Sore after the walk lol. Need to get fit like i used to be. In fairness we were at the front and done it at a high tempo.

Going to get a Chinese now, watch a movie and get ready for my football teams game tomorrow(I'm not playing, it's on TV (Celtic v rangers). Then after that i'll go with my friend and out with dogs for a walk.

Feel good after exercise, need to keep it up and motivate myself. It does help mental health.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Red Lightning

TG1 wrote:
    That's the thing with anxiety isnt it, you believe your brain for so long that even when you know it lies to you you still find it hard to believe you are ok....

It's just your brain. If someone gave you a 225mg tablet and said it was a 150mg tablet it would probably react the same way as now. You came down because you're able to come down. Don't be dwelling on it. Easier said than done but keep moving forward.

Just got a domino's, money better spent than spending it on booze :) and no hangover either

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,447 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Nice, i like to try spend on food sometimes too, be it a nice pizza or something from a fancy shop that i like.. Of course right now i'm eating tayto :rolleyes:

Nice, i like to try spend on food sometimes too, be it a nice pizza or something from a fancy shop that i like.. Of course right now i'm eating tayto :rolleyes:

Get yourself a domino's! Plenty of money off codes in bargain alerts forum :) working tonight?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,447 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Yeah working so won't be getting pizza. Have dinner in fridge.. Maybe next week some time..

Nope, just drop by 75mgs and see what happens, I was on 225 so down to 150 now so still getting a bit into my system! I'd say it's mostly just me panicking myself about coming off it.

Keep us posted on your progress. I'd love to be tapering but I'm just at the start of this journey. Good luck 😊

Will do sheepdip. I started this last year at a point where I thought I would never be able to get through a week without collapsing in floods of tears and vomiting in loos because I was so stressed. I never thought I'd get to this point.

It's been a long trip with plenty of ups downs circles turns etc. But it will be worth it. We all just need to keep the faith in ourselves xxx

As a huge support of mine said to me not so long ago "we are not defined by our illness. Remember it takes more strength for you to just keep going than a lot of people have to use in their whole life. When you get to the point where keeping going is normal, imagine what you can do with that strength, you will be unstoppable."

It meant so much to me I wrote it down and read it every day now!

Will do sheepdip. I started this last year at a point where I thought I would never be able to get through a week without collapsing in floods of tears and vomiting in loos because I was so stressed. I never thought I'd get to this point.

It's been a long trip with plenty of ups downs circles turns etc. But it will be worth it. We all just need to keep the faith in ourselves xxx

As a huge support of mine said to me not so long ago "we are not defined by our illness. Remember it takes more strength for you to just keep going than a lot of people have to use in their whole life. When you get to the point where keeping going is normal, imagine what you can do with that strength, you will be unstoppable."

It meant so much to me I wrote it down and read it every day now!

I'm gonna be remembering that quote!

She's a wise lady who has been through the mill a time or ten herself so knows what she is talking about too, it's not just made up motivational claptrap!

• Advertisement

How's everyone today?

Advertisement