Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

Thanks for the reply.

I'm just gonna try escape it with some grub and tv shows/internet.

Yes, that's exactly what I was going to say. Distraction techniques are the best way to deal with the ruminating as in, for example,....boards.ie :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Shint0 wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.

I'm just gonna try escape it with some grub and tv shows/internet.

Yes, that's exactly what I was going to say. Distraction techniques are the best way to deal with the ruminating as in, for example,....boards.ie :D

I've been distracting myself my whole life! :D

Gonna be a poop week, I fear.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Not really looking forward to it myself Hugo, shifts in a heap, day on, day off, day on, day off so basically i'll be in this fecking building every day for twelve days :mad:

Not really looking forward to it myself Hugo, shifts in a heap, day on, day off, day on, day off so basically i'll be in this fecking building every day for twelve days :mad:

Oh that sucks, G! :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Not thinking about it too much, or trying not to, being angry isn't going to do anything except give me tense muscle problems.. What's the story with yourself?.

Not thinking about it too much, or trying not to, being angry isn't going to do anything except give me tense muscle problems.. What's the story with yourself?.

Ah just the usual here! Work is a bit stressful, not mixing with people there, ruminating over things that shouldn't even be issues etc.

I don't really talk to anyone at work, i'm locked away in my own office and work across the recognised shifts that exist here so don't see the same people regularly. Figured out early that there was very little point engaging so it's not a huge problem for me..
    Ruminating is an evil one, all the if's but's and maybe's plus the blaming, guilt and stuff. I feel for ya man.

I don't really talk to anyone at work, i'm locked away in my own office and work across the recognised shifts that exist here so don't see the same people regularly. Figured out early that there was very little point engaging so it's not a huge problem for me..
    Ruminating is an evil one, all the if's but's and maybe's plus the blaming, guilt and stuff. I feel for ya man.

I have to engage with people there. A few of them are grand, but some are nasty yokes.

I'm ruminating about how I keep on messing up with people. It keeps on happening and I don't take rejection very well.

Engaging with people professionally i can separate from personal situations.. Ruminating is a very difficult habit to pull out of, the emotions tend to guide the thoughts which tends to direct everything in a very negative way. I've spent a long time with therapy learning to try and 'check the facts' in a rational way, without letting my negativity dictate the results.

• Advertisement

Engaging with people professionally i can separate from personal situations.. Ruminating is a very difficult habit to pull out of, the emotions tend to guide the thoughts which tends to direct everything in a very negative way. I've spent a long time with therapy learning to try and 'check the facts' in a rational way, without letting my negativity dictate the results.

We touched on that in counselling. Rational thinking goes out the window with me at times. I'm trying to use my techniques though.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bridgettedon

No one takes rejection well. But it seems to hit us a lot harder than others. I don't know why but it is annoying. Sometimes it's just perceived rejection but it does suck.

We touched on that in counselling. Rational thinking goes out the window with me at times. I'm trying to use my techniques though.

While it's tedious and often frustrating keep at it Hugo.. It does help in the long run. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭La.de.da

Sorry to hear that.

Could you write the key points down? Pick one and then challenge it. You still have a good portion of today to make it into something memorable for a good reason.

I've done just that literally now. I've big issues and events coming up. Broken the first one down into daily tasks to get ready.

Up on the fridge now. Hopefully can stick to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,890 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

La.de.da wrote:
    Up on the fridge now. Hopefully can stick to it.

Hope it helps.

I have to engage with people there. A few of them are grand, but some are nasty yokes.

I'm ruminating about how I keep on messing up with people. It keeps on happening and I don't take rejection very well.
    I cringe a lot at stupid things I have done and ways I have messed up but then I think if I was to ask randomers walking down the street, for example, every single person will tell you that they have messed up and made stupid mistakes in their life. It's part of being human but for some of us it's a little harder to let go but rest assured everybody in this world has made a complete blunder at some stage.
    I hear ya about there being lots of nasty yokes. The world is full of them. I used to exhaust myself and use tremendous amounts of mental energy trying to analyse and make sense of people and then I stopped. People just are what they are and sometimes there's just no point trying to apply logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

I'm glad I came across this thread tonight.

I was sitting here for the last number of hours feeling like someone kicked me in the chest and feeling ill.

I was telling myself I was just tired and stressed, I started reading this thread and thinking about anxiety I have had in the past and I just tried to slow down my breathing and separate my fears of the worst case scenario with the reality of the situation.

Hi Fizzlesticks. This is a safe place to vent and relate.

Lots of people benefit from even just reading.

Welcome, FS.

Sorry to hear that things aren't good there at the moment. Did it just come out of the blue?

Has anyone got some kind of therapy to help with binge eating and did it work?

• Advertisement

Found a food diary helped me control what I was eating before but only when I was sharing it with someone.
    Could you pick a treat and then reward yourself with that last thing at night if you're happy with how that day went.

It ain't easy. I'll give you that.

Found a food diary helped me control what I was eating before but only when I was sharing it with someone.
    Could you pick a treat and then reward yourself with that last thing at night if you're happy with how that day went.

It ain't easy. I'll give you that.

Sounds like a good idea. :)

Has anyone got some kind of therapy to help with binge eating and did it work?
    While it's not a particular issue I have experienced I think where there is any kind of habit or even with issues of addiction is to try to identify other alternative healthy positive behaviours and try replace it with that instead.

Shint0 wrote: »
    While it's not a particular issue I have experienced I think where there is any kind of habit or even with issues of addiction is to try to identify other alternative healthy positive behaviours and try replace it with that instead.

I know you are right but getting the motivation to get outside the house these last few days has been hard. I just didn't want to meet anyone. I didn't want to see anyone. I couldn't even go for a walk. I just found I was focusing all my attention on food from the moment I got up. Every weekend is the same. I overeat and put on weight that I try to shift during the week. Feel fat and very ugly.

I used to have almost the opposite problem in that a lot of times I would forget to eat and cooking was almost a chore. When I was previously severely depressed the first thing to go would be my appetite. Then I discovered a whole world of food and started experimenting with all types of flavours and spices and making really tasty but healthy food rather than just relying on convenience food or something quick but not so healthy to fill a gap in my stomach. This change of approach has really worked for me and now I really enjoy food while keeping it healthy.

I feel so toxic. :(

I feel so toxic.

Yes but it isn't true Hugo. At all.

I feel so toxic. :(

You are not your thoughts Hugo..

• Advertisement

Advertisement