Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Skybirdjb

Not thinking anything as such just that weird feeling I get . Mabey anxiety level rising I get goosebumps really bad all through my body in waves and my ears start a weird whooshing noise before I start getting over anxious and panicky . How are u

• Registered Users Posts: 48 123sheepdip

Skybirdjb wrote: »
    Not thinking anything as such just that weird feeling I get . Mabey anxiety level rising I get goosebumps really bad all through my body in waves and my ears start a weird whooshing noise before I start getting over anxious and panicky . How are u

Hope it passes soon ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

vmb wrote: »
    Uff... that is so scaring... I've failed on every single antidepressant medication during 3 years and I ran out of options, but that's... too much.

As I also have ms the idea of frying my brain is completely disgusting.

Before doing that, I would research about ketamine infusions, I think is not yet available here on Ireland tough, but is very promising.

I am on oral ketamine for neuropathic pain, but the dose dose I'm on is so low that the anti depressant effect is negligible.

I'm not an expert, but I think shock therapy is something you do not want to know:(.

The memory loss thing wouldn't bother me if it was select memories I could erase, I've always said I wish our brains were like hard drives, we could go in and completely erase someone from our minds. It'd make our lives all that more easier.

Also thanks lads. my uncle went after a few minutes. Very sudden. Crazy how life just goes all of a sudden. One minute your at home watching the snooker, then your dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭vmb

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    The memory loss thing wouldn't bother me if it was select memories I could erase, I've always said I wish our brains were like hard drives, we could go in and completely erase someone from our minds. It'd make our lives all that more easier.

Also thanks lads. my uncle went after a few minutes. Very sudden. Crazy how life just goes all of a sudden. One minute your at home watching the snooker, then your dead.

Sorry about your uncle :(

two weeks ago I was in bed and I started having electric shocks, convulsions, palpitations and problems breathing, I though I was dying. Doctors were not sure if it was a panic attack or a serotonin syndrome, but it was a huge shock!!!

At least I realised I do not want to die yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Sorry again about your uncle :(

I'm seriously considering shock treatment as medication has failed to work for me so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭vmb

I'm seriously considering shock treatment as medication has failed to work for me so far

is that something you request to your psychiatrist? I've failed every single antidepressant, and am now without medication.

The thing is that I'm almost sure that my depression is not "chemical" imbalance, is an environmental problem that I cant modify.

vmb wrote: »
    is that something you request to your psychiatrist? I've failed every single antidepressant, and am now without medication.

The thing is that I'm almost sure that my depression is not "chemical" imbalance, is an environmental problem that I cant modify.

It's something she suggested, maybe bring it up at your next meeting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Has anyone here had any experience of ECT/shock therapy?

Yes, way back in the late 70s when it was de rigeur. All as many here know on a total long term misdiagnosis. As my last GP in the UK wrote on my notes before i left the Uk for good , " She was never mentally ill, It was always M.E."

They would zap whole wards one by one,

Short term memory loss and a terrible headache....., wondering now though as in my almost 80s I am getting short term memory loss if that was a contributory factor

I am as many here know not in favour of physical remedies for mental and emotional problems . was on psych drugs far too long. Nor in eg ECT for the same reason. Never go near a GP any more except for pain relief scrips. Lost 30 years to a mistake

Oh and in those years you would see women in the mental wards heads heavily bandaged looking vacant as frontal lobotomy was a chosen remedy also

Your choice but you need to research it fully as this is serious stuff and not a cure all . Sending electricity through your brain is meant to do what?

It does not change memories . Jumbles everything up and confuses. You cannot think straight and that is terrifying. When you recover nothing has changed either. Useless

Only way to deal with memories is to face them, talk to them then leave them behind by whatever means you can. I have a whole slew but there is no choice but to endure and distract. Knowing that and learning to cope with that is a healing in itself .

Eating well and exercise are of huge huge value. Also getting outside and enjoying air and scenery, I cannot exercise due to the M.,E and that is getting worse, but gazing at the ocean and watching my plants grow and knitting pretty things that will be sold to feed the needy heals like nothing else for me. And my cats of course. Being kind to you... Looking at a lovely chocolate cake I ordered!

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    Your choice but you need to research it fully as this is serious stuff and not a cure all . Sending electricity through your brain is meant to do what?

I'm researching it at the moment, it's a last resort for me as I'm getting no where with any medication

I'm researching it at the moment, it's a last resort for me as I'm getting no where with any medication

Have you tried any form of talk therapy? Electroconvulsive therapy is an absolute last resort. However I am aware how desperate things can get that you just want freedom from the hurt.

Have you tried any form of talk therapy? Electroconvulsive therapy is an absolute last resort. However I am aware how desperate things can get that you just want freedom from the hurt.

I do cbt with two different people, a hse person and a person privately

I do cbt with two different people, a hse person and a person privately

Are you not finding it helpful?

Are you not finding it helpful?

To an extent but it's not totally working for me

To an extent but it's not totally working for me

Can I ask what it is that you feel still needs work? Is it that no amount of behaviour modification and strategies can really help how feel inside?

Can I ask what it is that you feel still needs work? Is it that no amount of behaviour modification and strategies can really help how feel inside?

Exactly, my anxiety is through the roof no matter what I have learned in cbt to help does unfortunately

Exactly, my anxiety is through the roof no matter what I have learned in cbt to help does unfortunately

You probably have tried these things but have grounding techniques and meditation helped in anyway?

You probably have tried these things but have grounding techniques and meditation helped in anyway?

I've tried both, they only give me temporary relief really

I've tried both, they only give me temporary relief really

Ok that can sometimes be the case. Keep using them though because grounding techniques can be useful in moments of panic.

You don't have to answer this question, it's more something for you to think about. Have you ever experienced a trauma in your life?
    If so then you may need to do a bit of work around that as anxiety can be a symptom, particularly if nothing seems to be working.

• Advertisement

Ok that can sometimes be the case. Keep using them though because grounding techniques can be useful in moments of panic.

You don't have to answer this question, it's more something for you to think about. Have you ever experienced a trauma in your life?
    If so then you may need to do a bit of work around that as anxiety can be a symptom, particularly if nothing seems to be working.

Yes I had cancer aged 21 (8 years ago), that's when all my problems began

Yes I had cancer aged 21 (8 years ago), that's when all my problems began
    So sorry to hear you were so sick :(
    Don't want to be nosy but did the cbt deal directly with the trauma of getting cancer to get right to the root of the first traumatic memory? My PTSD started at a specific point in time and the I had to really trash out that specific point and its memories and the thoughts I had at that time and break down each thought individually
    And believe me there were lots of them !!
    Don't know if this even makes sense ???

So sorry to hear you were so sick :(
    Don't want to be nosy but did the cbt deal directly with the trauma of getting cancer to get right to the root of the first traumatic memory? My PTSD started at a specific point in time and the I had to really trash out that specific point and its memories and the thoughts I had at that time and break down each thought individually
    And believe me there were lots of them !!
    Don't know if this even makes sense ???

Not directly with it no, my anxiety is generalised it isn't really about cancer. I get what you are saying though

It might have been the starting point tho ? Wonder if it would be worth trying to go back there right to the start with the cbt person ? Those thoughts are able to be modified which I have done
    Not saying it's the answer but it might help ?? Worth a try

Not directly with it no, my anxiety is generalised it isn't really about cancer. I get what you are saying though

My anxiety is generalised too and definitely not about what happened at my trauma but it was the starting point

It might have been the starting point tho ? Wonder if it would be worth trying to go back there right to the start with the cbt person ? Those thoughts are able to be modified which I have done
    Not saying it's the answer but it might help ?? Worth a try

True it might be worth talking about next time thanks :)

One more Toy, I'm sorry you went through that. It is some fight to take on and you came out the other side. I'm not sure though how one can experience a trauma and not have their anxiety in anyway connected to it. Especially if the anxiety appeared after the event.

Perhaps a different type of therapy might be an idea? There is a lot of research out there today around trauma, be it complex or otherwise. Many therapists are experienced in working with people who have been through something life changing.

True it might be worth talking about next time thanks :)

:)

My anxiety is generalised too and definitely not about what happened at my trauma but it was the starting point

anxiety does not often connect directly/openly with what caused it. it is that the trauma opens a door to it as a separate entity/symptom. mine has multiple causes and from many traumas.

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    anxiety does not often connect directly/openly with what caused it. it is that the trauma opens a door to it as a separate entity/symptom. mine has multiple causes and from many traumas.

Absolutely spot on graces
    Opened a big can of worms

Advertisement