Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Did the doctor give you any valium etc to weather the storm?

No. When I last spoke to him I was ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

lbc2019 wrote: »
    No. When I last spoke to him I was ok.

Might be worth going back and telling them how you're doing

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    Well still cannot sleep. But good news. I was stressing about my friends wedding in portugal. I done a 50 cent bet in the bookies on the lotto and my numbers came in, €750 return. Hope i am not dreaming.

Beers are on you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Well still cannot sleep. But good news. I was stressing about my friends wedding in portugal. I done a 50 cent bet in the bookies on the lotto and my numbers came in, €750 return. Hope i am not dreaming.

Did you now... Couldn't spot us a wee loan could ya??

giphy.gif

:D Congrats! What's that, a 1400% return?? Geez!

The last few weeks I've found getting to sleep awfully difficult. On average I would guess it takes me at least 2 hours to fall asleep after I've gone to bed. Normally it'd only take a quarter of that at most. I'm guessing it's all subconscious stuff: stress and what have you. I've developed a 'twitch' of sorts as well. I cannot relax in bed while lying on my back. Eventually I 'shake' my right leg constantly until I consciously decide to stop. I'm most comfortable with my right leg crossed over top of my left, and then that twitch will start soon after. And yet, if my left leg is crossed over the right there's no twitching, or if both legs are laid straight there's no twitching!! Only when my right is crossed over top of the left, which I find way more comfortable than the other two so much so that I cannot keep either one in place before switching back. Definitely subsconscious at work :(

Gearing up for an exam on Tuesday, could do with your positive energy! Or candles/prayers if relevant!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Best of luck OMT i'll be thinking of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭TG1

Good luck one more toy, just take it one question/problem/whatever at a time and keep breathing. Nothing is ever as bad as it seems in the moment.

Will have fingers and toes crossed!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭munster87

Gearing up for an exam on Tuesday, could do with your positive energy! Or candles/prayers if relevant!

Good luck. Prepare yourself and you’ll be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Skybirdjb

Candle lit here for you and will light again tomorrow:) hope your well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Went to my second AA meeting yesterday evening. Was really good. Most people there suffer from anxiety and depression too so turned to drink.

I actually spoke this time, the longest talk in a room with a group of strangers. I let it all out. But in a calm manner and was commended for my bravery.

I spoke clearly and without any fear at all. Proud what i done today.

But most of it was down to my best friend making sure i went and giving me a lift and waiting for me.

Made me think now that my life is valued and people care much about me. Also made me think that i am never alone.

• Advertisement

Best of luck. You can do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭4Ad

Went to my second AA meeting yesterday evening. Was really good. Most people there suffer from anxiety and depression too so turned to drink.

I actually spoke this time, the longest talk in a room with a group of strangers. I let it all out. But in a calm manner and was commended for my bravery.

I spoke clearly and without any fear at all. Proud what i done today.

But most of it was down to my best friend making sure i went and giving me a lift and waiting for me.

Made me think now that my life is valued and people care much about me. Also made me think that i am never alone.
    Happy for you, isnt a nice feeling makes an effort for you..
    At least someone cares...
    You will be ok..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 123sheepdip

Hope yr still all ready to roll tomorrow. Sending positive thoughts !

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Skybirdjb

Good luck today !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Thinking of you OMT:)

Thanks for all your well wishes, was very tough but done now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Red Lightning

What absolutely destroys me inside is seeing a lot of people doing things that I've always dreamed of doing.
    I'm a really out going person but anxiety and depression has ruined my life.
    Now, I know peoples lives aren't as good as they let on but they are a lot better than mine cos they are actually able to do things I could only do in my dreams. I can't live away from home, never had a gf, don't have any really close friends, have never been able to travel, I cant take up any sports I want. I'm 25 and have never lived. I've existed my entire time on this earth and I don't know how to get better.
    It's the biggest drive of my suicidal thoughts. I can't live a life that isn't what I want it to be.

What absolutely destroys me inside is seeing a lot of people doing things that I've always dreamed of doing.
    Now, I know peoples lives aren't as good as they let on but they are a lot better than mine cos they are actually able to do things I could only do in my dreams. I can't live away from home, never had a gf, don't have any really close friends, have never been able to travel, I cant take up any sports I want. I'm 25 and have never lived. I've existed my entire time on this earth and I don't know how to get better.
    It's the biggest drive of my suicidal thoughts. I can't live a life that isn't what I want it to be.

Many of us have been there. It's hard but you just have to keep fighting. I am lucky I have good family and friends.

I am lucky that I got rid of my ex as she was a curse on my life.
    Been talking to another girl now, just chatting and facetime.
    Not going to rush into anything though.

You need to get out. Today my sister is going into town (Dublin) with my mother and 2 nephews. I am going to go aswell..

Next week I am going to my friends wedding in Portugal.
    I've travelled the world, sometimes alone but it just takes some will power.

Not sure where you live but I'm always here for a chat.
    There is hope out there ðŸ€. We are the fighting Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I was like that. Then I learned to value what I do have, however different it is from what others have and how others live their lives. my life is severely limited by a bad form of CFS/ME, and I am now islandbound and all but housebound . Living within our limitations is a release. Learning to love what we have rather than yearn for what we do not have.
    This year I have had for financial reasons to give up even my old car, Driving was a great release for me and I loved it, but I can and will enjoy life without it in different ways. Takes time and work
    You are too young to give up! You CAN live this. I did and did and I am nothing special. Just needs a lateral approach..There is no one way to live.
    Oh one advice was "keep your eye on your own page"

• Advertisement

Thanks for the support folks. My therapist says I need to keep to my normal routine to get myself out of this rut but I work as a sports coach with kids and I just can't deal with pretending to be happy. The job is so draining when you're feeling ok let alone when you're not.
    I'm wondering if I should apply to take leave due to my illness. I don't love my job and I'm leaving it in September anyway.

Can you go on disability leave with a mental illness?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

Can you go on disability leave with a mental illness?

You can certainly go temporarily. Long term I'm not so sure

I have suffered so much my suicide around me. I've thought of it myself. I have a child who wants to end her life.

Can anyone recommend support groups in Dublin? Is aware good ? I've got to the door of that a few times

I hope the exam results are everything you hope for omt.

Abba987 wrote:
    I have suffered so much my suicide around me. I've thought of it myself. I have a child who wants to end her life.

I'm so sorry to hear. Is there a jigsaw in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

I'm so sorry to hear. Is there a jigsaw in Dublin?

There is I've been looking at that. It's quite shxt cos I'm anxious and socially useless too but o have to start making some calls

How are you doing ?

Abba987 wrote:
    There is I've been looking at that. It's quite shxt cos I'm anxious and socially useless too but o have to start making some calls

One positive is that you can relate to your child. Some parents who don't suffer may have let their child go too long but you are looking into supports. Good on you.
    I'm a bit better thank you. Slow and steady.

Abba987 wrote: »
    You can certainly go temporarily. Long term I'm not so sure

Can anyone recommend support groups in Dublin? Is aware good ? I've got to the door of that a few times

I hope the exam results are everything you hope for omt.

I'm not sure if it can be prescribed to a child but lithium has been a godsend for my suicidal thoughts

Abba987 wrote: »

How are you doing ?

What age is your daughter Abba? There are lots of therapists who work with children and teens. Jigsaw are great as well. It's all the more difficult when you are managing your own issues, is there anyone who can step in and support you both?

CBD oil is very popular and even for kids I think. I know so many people that say it has given them a new life. I'm thinking about trying it.

• Advertisement

I'd be real careful recommending or mentioning any kind of drug, herbal or otherwise for a child.

Advertisement