Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 123sheepdip

Just curious on the Psoriasis question as it's come up a few times with other posters here. I have had it for 3 decades but only always on my elbows, the scalp very occasionally, and a few patches once on my legs. I was told I have markers for psoriatic arthritis but so far it's not bothered me. But the question is, how many of us have it and could having it be linked to your chances of clinical anxiety/depression. By that I don't mean you are depressed or anxious because you don't like having it, rather if it's it in your genes could it mean you are more susceptible to anxiety/depression?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just curious on the Psoriasis question as it's come up a few times with other posters here. I have had it for 3 decades but only always on my elbows, the scalp very occasionally, and a few patches once on my legs. I was told I have markers for psoriatic arthritis but so far it's not bothered me. But the question is, how many of us have it and could having it be linked to your chances of clinical anxiety/depression. By that I don't mean you are depressed or anxious because you don't like having it, rather if it's it in your genes could it mean you are more susceptible to anxiety/depression?

they say that re cancer too; it emits stuff ( sorry; bad word day!) that causes depression not just the fact of having cancer that depresses.

half asleep and no idea why specially.. followed up y'days difficult phone call with a letter so as someone once liked to say " having done all, to stand. " over to the authorities etc.

Always tend to tiredness in summer; there is so much more to do and i get carried away. overdoing it. you would think that by my advanced age I would have learned but hey! go for broke... they used to say years ago I have two speeds, run and stop..maybe should be run and flop!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

I've only had it for just over 1 year and I'm 39.
    Doctor said maybe because my father had it so it's in my genes but also because I'm stressed much that can flare it up too, which then causes me to worry more.

My arms are good now, my body and head are ok but my legs are still bad, like I got sunburn.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭candycock

Court case pending in September, never went to work today n feeling like a failure, I really am low, only in the job 5 weeks n I've missed 2 days already due to not being able to get up and mind racing all nite, I went to the lake today, i wanted to go in but to cowardly.ive no friends, nobody rings me or invites me anywhere.i surrender.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

candycock wrote: »
    Court case pending in September, never went to work today n feeling like a failure, I really am low, only in the job 5 weeks n I've missed 2 days already due to not being able to get up and mind racing all nite, I went to the lake today, i wanted to go in but to cowardly.ive no friends, nobody rings me or invites me anywhere.i surrender.

Never give up. There are people who love you. Please reach out to someone, give the samaritans a call

Where are you living ? You can pm me your number if you want to talk, it's no problem.

Don't give up, don't take the easy option. You have to fight. Trust me it's hard but it's a fight that can be won.

Never give up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJTAka-rP8Q

(((HUGS)))) You hang on in there!

Lighting a Prayer Candle here for thee.. hold on to folk here? We all understand and know ..

All OK out there?

Noisy last night with the weather so am crashing asap..bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Skybirdjb

Hi graces7 windy and rainy day here always harder when it's like that ! Just feeling kinda numb today my brain is on overdrive tho . Thoughts trying to creep in all the time but trying so hard to reason with them
    How are you ??

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    All OK out there?

Was hard to sleep last night as so humid.
    Already ate some fish again for the 2nd day in a row and i'm not a seafood man.

Dinner later then relax and watch my football team play this evening, actually gives me a bit of motivation knowing that i can look forward to something.

My ex still annoying me too.
    Been talking to another girl who also suffers from depression and has a relationship break up too, she want's to meet up with me.

Not sure if it's a good decision but my gut is telling me go for it, what have i got to lose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

All OK out there?

Never fear Grace, for one of your many loyal cats can step up to shield you as.. .. .. Catpain America!

61DpB3Ap3yL.jpg

.. .. ..

I'll just walk away slowly and shamefully now.. .. ..

:pac:
    BohsCeltic wrote: »

Dinner later then relax and watch my football team play this evening, actually gives me a bit of motivation knowing that i can look forward to something.

Been talking to another girl who also suffers from depression and has a relationship break up too, she want's to meet up with me.

Not sure if it's a good decision but my gut is telling me go for it, what have i got to lose.

Nothing but time :) She could turn out to be a really good friend, which is one of the greatest gifts anyone can ask for.

Need to vent

Financially strained since Irish life wouldn't give me income protection. Have my brothers wedding coming up and have shelled out 230 euro for a new suit, then there's the cost of the hotel accommodation. Really under pressure living off illness benefit arrrgh

Sorry for the vent just extremely frustrated

Meet her and I hope you shift the face off her! :)

jaxxx wrote: »
    Never fear Grace, for one of your many loyal cats can step up to shield you as.. .. .. Catpain America!

This is what my oldest cat says.. ..
    :

Need to vent

Financially strained since Irish life wouldn't give me income protection. Have my brothers wedding coming up and have shelled out 230 euro for a new suit, then there's the cost of the hotel accommodation. Really under pressure living off illness benefit arrrgh

Was that your appeal mate ?
    I'm still waiting to hear back from when i appealed.
    Understand the financial pressure. Especially with the cost of going to a wedding.
    I've had 2 weddings this year, I got lucky at the first one because my friend let me stay in his room for free,
    Second one was in Portugal, got lucky with that as my 50c bet on the Euromillions came up.

Disaster1 wrote: »
    hi guys

Welcome to the mad house :D
    Just joking, there are some really good people on here with a lot of great advice. Don't be shy to post about anything.

Disaster1 wrote: »
    hi guys

Hi welcome ! Feel free to have a rant if you need to !
    I feel ye on the financial side of things , illness benefits just do not cut it with a mortgage etc :( it's so hard having no money all the time . Went from a really good wage to illness it's a shock

jaxxx wrote: »
    Never fear Grace, for one of your many loyal cats can step up to shield you as.. .. .. Catpain

This is what my oldest cat says.. ..
    :

Aw so cute !! Great company is say :)

Was that your appeal mate ?

Welcome to the mad house :D
    Just joking, there are some really good people on here with a lot of great advice. Don't be shy to post about anything.

cannot find the post from Disaster?

zonked... walked too far early today. really enjoyed it but the M.,E is merciless and the last bit of lane was hard work... always get icy cold when overdone so hibernated ....lazy day now perforce and no idea what I am going to eat.

ah well; picked lovely flowers by the shore and a huge bag of seaweed fr the garden and just got in before the deluge started..

always need at least one day rest before and two days rest after around any outing!

• Advertisement

Skybirdjb wrote: »

Aw so cute !! Great company is say :)

well that depends!
    He does make a huge hot water bottle...

cannot find the post from Disaster?

Yes it's gone now, they posted the same message in another 2 forums so not sure what is going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,911 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Need to vent

I take it they've been tight on the appeal too then?
    If you believe they are wrong and from out earlier posts on the matter, your doctor and treating professional do too.
    Be sure that once you exhaust their appeal/complaint process that you submit a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman.

Be prepared aswell for SW to send you to their Doctor for medical review once you hit greater than @18mths.
    Ensure that you have any and all supporting evidence ready for that too.
    The review itself is straightforward, about 20 mins with a doctor and nurse.
    He will go through a list of set questions and will make a recommendation as to continuing IB, or if the absence from work is expected to continue a move to Invalidity Pension or disability benefit.

banie01 wrote: »
    I take it they've been tight on the appeal too then?
    If you believe they are wrong and from out earlier posts on the matter, your doctor and treating professional do too.
    Be sure that once you exhaust their appeal/complaint process that you submit a complaint to the Financial Ombudsman.

Be prepared aswell for SW to send you to their Doctor for medical review once you hit greater than @18mths.
    Ensure that you have any and all supporting evidence ready for that too.
    The review itself is straightforward, about 20 mins with a doctor and nurse.
    He will go through a list of set questions and will make a recommendation as to continuing IB, or if the absence from work is expected to continue a move to Invalidity Pension or disability benefit.

No word on the appeal yet - just submitted it this week due to the consultant taking their time to prepare a letter for me. Will defo think about the ombudsman if they appeal is rejected

No word on the appeal yet - just submitted it this week due to the consultant taking their time to prepare a letter for me. Will defo think about the ombudsman if they appeal is rejected

Good luck with it!
    I would be very surprised if they continue refusal when a Consultant has submitted confirmation of their diagnosis and an inability to work ;)

I basically have my GP, My work GP and independent psychiatrist all saying i am not fit for work. It's just the Insurance Doctor saying i am ok.

I will be going to the Ombudsman too if they reject the appeal.

You have to fight for everything in this country, nothing is straight forward.

You have to fight for everything in this country, nothing is straight forward.

It's a bit of a stretch to go blaming the country when an Insurance company is trying to maximize its own retention and profit.
    Yes it sucks, yes it's a burden but it's not victimisation nor is it discrimination.

The flip side of the coin would be the commensurate rise in insurance premia for everyone should every claim just be paid.

I don't have figures to hand, but you can be fairly sure for income protection claim not granted immediately a much, much larger number are settled and paid without any fuss.

I say that as someone who has been through the process, and who on a separate matter has fought Irish Life in court and won.

Don't go down the path of making this a "Them, the system versus me" scenario.
    Don't personalise it, don't get swept up in the emotion of your circumstance as if and when it ever comes to an appeal, your emotions won't matter a whit, only the facts.

They don't really care how sick you are, only that by the criteria laid out in the terms and conditions of the policy that you are deemed unfit for work.

In the circumstances of mental illness a lot of the diagnosis and treatment can be quite soft and I.L will try and ensure that the claimant is supported by their support programmes and part time return to work and so on.
    Any incremental support steps they can undertake to minimise the actual payout duration and ensure the claimant's return to health.

I am no fan of I.L and this isn't a dig at them, nor at any claimant.
    But please for the sake of your recovery, don't get pulled into making your appeal a cry to conscience or emotion.

so sorry to read all this. Takes me back more years than I can remember to when I was fighting these battles and being accused and degraded.

On the day I reached pension age i heaved a great sigh of relief as NO ONE could refute or deny the dats

Wish I could help, but pray I will and here for thee...

stay calm knowing you know truth and have integrity

blessings and peace

banie01 wrote: »
    It's a bit of a stretch to go blaming the country when an Insurance company is trying to maximize its own retention and profit.
    Yes it sucks, yes it's a burden but it's not victimisation nor is it discrimination.

The flip side of the coin would be the commensurate rise in insurance premia for everyone should every claim just be paid.

I don't have figures to hand, but you can be fairly sure for income protection claim not granted immediately a much, much larger number are settled and paid without any fuss.

I say that as someone who has been through the process, and who on a separate matter has fought Irish Life in court and won.

Don't go down the path of making this a "Them, the system versus me" scenario.
    Don't personalise it, don't get swept up in the emotion of your circumstance as if and when it ever comes to an appeal, your emotions won't matter a whit, only the facts.

They don't really care how sick you are, only that by the criteria laid out in the terms and conditions of the policy that you are deemed unfit for work.

In the circumstances of mental illness a lot of the diagnosis and treatment can be quite soft and I.L will try and ensure that the claimant is supported by their support programmes and part time return to work and so on.
    Any incremental support steps they can undertake to minimise the actual payout duration and ensure the claimant's return to health.

I am no fan of I.L and this isn't a dig at them, nor at any claimant.
    But please for the sake of your recovery, don't get pulled into making your appeal a cry to conscience or emotion.

I'm not only basing my opinion of just my situation. I'm basing it on close family and friends having to fight for their children to get the help they need.

My nephew has ASD and my Sister had to go private to get assessment, money she didn't have.
    She's been in the newspaper trying to highlight the shocking treatment.
    Same as my best friend, had to go on TV and radio to fight for a drug to be approved to save his daughters life.

We are all just a number.

• Advertisement

I'm not only basing my opinion of just my situation. I'm basing it on close family and friends having to fight for their children to get the help they need.

My nephew has ASD and my Sister had to go private to get assessment, money she didn't have.
    She's been in the newspaper trying to highlight the shocking treatment.
    Same as my best friend, had to go on TV and radio to fight for a drug to be approved to save his daughters life.

We are all just a number.

A sample of 3?

I'm going to assume the drug your friend needed is Orkambi or one of the other high tech drugs.

A tough situation that must be incredibly hard for anyone affected by the need for that similar and not covered by a P.I.

The flip side however is we live in one of the few countries in the world where that medicine and numerous others are directly funded by the state. That the drug exists and the patient is at the end of a cost benefit analysis carried out by government is hard, but in all too many places the cost must be borne directly by the patient.
    Try affording it if one had to directly pay.
    The system in Ireland is far from perfect, very far from it.
    However we do have the benefit of living in a country where despite waiting lists the vast majority of people enjoy a reasonable and very affordable level of health care.

Similar situation with ADD and ADHD, unfortunately the support system for those afflicted is overwhelmed.
    There's no magic pot of money to allow immediate expansion of CAMHS, or other support services.
    Indeed even if there was, there would be an @4yr lead time before the trained professionals are available.
    Barring of course SNA's and care assistants but that without the ability to ramp up diagnosis there is no actual budgetary line that allows immediate growth in their numbers.

One of the horrible things about depression is how quickly it narrows ones scope and really does turn into a me versus the world system.

Without being harsh, try being depressed and needing appropriate care and intervention in a country without the actually really good socialized supports in place here.

You would be surprised how quickly unemployment and sickness pay dry up in the States for example.
    Then factor in the lack of any socialized healthcare apart from the AHA.

Yes budgetary constraints and lack of resources are huge issues, but they do affect everyone.
    All too often in Ireland though, those who shout loudest are pushed up the queue.

The thing is however, the system may view you as a number.
    That's precisely what you are, what matters is whether or not you let that system shape you into a victim or rather that you work to get the support need.

Advertisement