Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

banie01 wrote: »
    A sample of 3?

I'm going to assume the drug your friend needed is Orkambi or one of the other high tech drugs.

A tough situation that must be incredibly hard for anyone affected by the need for that similar and not covered by a P.I.

The flip side however is we live in one of the few countries in the world where that medicine and numerous others are directly funded by the state. That the drug exists and the patient is at the end of a cost benefit analysis carried out by government is hard, but in all too many places the cost must be borne directly by the patient.
    Try affording it if one had to directly pay.
    The system in Ireland is far from perfect, very far from it.
    However we do have the benefit of living in a country where despite waiting lists the vast majority of people enjoy a reasonable and very affordable level of health care.

Similar situation with ADD and ADHD, unfortunately the support system for those afflicted is overwhelmed.
    There's no magic pot of money to allow immediate expansion of CAMHS, or other support services.
    Indeed even if there was, there would be an @4yr lead time before the trained professionals are available.
    Barring of course SNA's and care assistants but that without the ability to ramp up diagnosis there is no actual budgetary line that allows immediate growth in their numbers.

One of the horrible things about depression is how quickly it narrows ones scope and really does turn into a me versus the world system.

Without being harsh, try being depressed and needing appropriate care and intervention in a country without the actually really good socialized supports in place here.

You would be surprised how quickly unemployment and sickness pay dry up in the States for example.
    Then factor in the lack of any socialized healthcare apart from the AHA.

Yes budgetary constraints and lack of resources are huge issues, but they do affect everyone.
    All too often in Ireland though, those who shout loudest are pushed up the queue.

The thing is however, the system may view you as a number.
    That's precisely what you are, what matters is whether or not you let that system shape you into a victim or rather that you work to get the support need.

I understand your point but at what cost is putting a price on someones life. The money wasted here on stupid things is shocking.

Our proclamation doesn't mean nothing no more, ''cherishing all the children of the nation equally"

I've been to Thailand and Vietnam many times, their healthcare system is 100 times more effective and better than what we have here, That's really worrying.

And it's not just a sample of three, My Sister and my friend have groups set up who are in similar positions, It's quadruple figures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,911 ✭✭✭✭banie01

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    And it's not just a sample of three, My Sister and my friend have groups set up who are in similar positions, It's quadruple figures.

Versus how many receiving effective care?
    Be it GP, Primary Care, District Nurse, Hospitals, Supported living, respite, residential care ?

I'm not disputing your sister and nephews experience.
    There are serious issues in particular with the supports offered to ASD spectrum and learning needs people.
    It can't be fixed by throwing money at it however.

As for medical care being better in Vietnam and Thailand...
    The facts don't bare that out.
    Ireland was ranked at 19th
    Thailand was 47th
    Vietnam was 160th.

More detail here https://photius.com/rankings/healthranks.html and plenty more info available on WHO and Lancet websites.

How are the social supports over there when you are unable to work?

Look I'm not expecting a response as to be honest it would only drag a helpful thread off tangent.

I've lived abroad as an emigrant, the experience of other countries healthcare systems as a tourist with travel insurance and more disposable income versus the locals, compared with being reliant on the actual systems that local rely on are always 2 very different experiences.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Mod note: Thread has veered somewhat off topic, if we could get back to Anxiety and Depression issues please..
    Current affairs/Politics are most likely better forums to discuss the operation and effectiveness of the services in question

Grem

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Skybirdjb

God I'm anxious today :( so so exausted too so that's not helping . My pain is just getting worse and I really thought it would be better by now . Just waiting to see a consultant now it's kinda scary . I used to be so active and now i can't . So sorry for the rant just don't want to be worrying my husband

Versus how many receiving effective care?
    Be it GP, Primary Care, District Nurse, Hospitals, Supported living, respite, residential care ?

I'm not disputing your sister and nephews experience.
    There are serious issues in particular with the supports offered to ASD spectrum and learning needs people.
    It can't be fixed by throwing money at it however.

As for medical care being better in Vietnam and Thailand...
    The facts don't bare that out.
    Ireland was ranked at 19th
    Thailand was 47th
    Vietnam was 160th.

More detail here https://photius.com/rankings/healthranks.html and plenty more info available on WHO and Lancet websites.

How are the social supports over there when you are unable to work?

Look I'm not expecting a response as to be honest it would only drag a helpful thread off tangent.

I've lived abroad as an emigrant, the experience of other countries healthcare systems as a tourist with travel insurance and more disposable income versus the locals, compared with being reliant on the actual systems that local rely on are always 2 very different experiences.

I am just basing it on what i have seen with my own eyes. I had to pay about 50 euro in Thailand when i got sick, waiting time about 20 mins.
    In Ireland, 6 hours and cost 100 euros.

A&E overcrowded and people on trolleys. Different in Asia and also seemed more clean.

There is no supports really if you don't work, enough to get you by but that's it but usually designed to help elderly people.

Anyway, back on topic.

It's still sunny outside :)

• Advertisement

Skybirdjb wrote: »
    God I'm anxious today :( so so exausted too so that's not helping . My pain is just getting worse and I really thought it would be better by now . Just waiting to see a consultant now it's kinda scary . I used to be so active and now i can't . So sorry for the rant just don't want to be worrying my husband

Sorry guys that post sounds is such a moan of a post

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Nothing wrong with an aul moan now and again! 😀

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Not at all, things are tough. Struggling here too. My own mental health is fragile at best, my partner is suffering very badly currently. We are trying everything with little to show for it at the moment..

Not at all, things are tough. Struggling here too. My own mental health is fragile at best, my partner is suffering very badly currently. We are trying everything with little to show for it at the moment..

I know how you feel grem I'm totally doing everything I can to get better mentally and physically but it feels like a massive brick wall closing in on me . Hooe your partner is ok , they are lucky to have you to help them

Not at all, physical pain is so often exacerbated by depression.
    Then when you don't want to burden a loved it becomes quite a weight to bear alone.

Hope you find some relief soon.

• Advertisement

Not at all, physical pain is so often exacerbated by depression.
    Then when you don't want to burden a loved it becomes quite a weight to bear alone.

Hope you find some relief soon.

Thanks that's exactly it just don't want to be stressing my husband out so I just keep it in . Thank god for this thread :)

Same here, have long term pain along with mental health issues, both exacerbating each other at times i feel.. I often discuss here due to the fact people understand the frustration and depression of fighting all the time..

Never be sorry for a rant.
    Better letting it out than keeping it in.

Last night was funny, watching the Celtic Champions league game.
    My Mother who's 75 and recovering from a stroke was up on her two feet shouting at a really bad referee. Made my fecking day :) Simple things can lighten up your evening.

Same here, have long term pain along with mental health issues, both exacerbating each other at times i feel.. I often discuss here due to the fact people understand the frustration and depression of fighting all the time..
    Thanks that's exactly it just don't want to be stressing my husband out so I just keep it in . Thank god for this thread :)

I'm going thru a bit of a Renal/Urological issue for the last few months that is hands down the most continuously painful thing I've encountered.

I won't say I feel ye're pain ;)

But I'm floating between a mix of Gabapentine, Oxynorm, Oxycontin and anti-inflammatories to get through days at the moment.
    My wife and kid have had to put up with a couple of hospital admissions already and tbh, I am at the stage where the pain is the new normal and at the moment the only treatment available is pain relief.
    My movement is quite restricted as anything longer than @15mins upright and I develop excruciating pain from my kidney down to my groin.
    Unless I have an exceptionally bad day now, I don't even mention it anymore.

I am a bit worried that this is going to turn into a nueropathic/diabetes related issue but no point stressing over it as everything I can control that can affect that side is being managed as well as possible.

I can totally understand why people get addicted to Oxy tho!

I'm trying to do a few days off at least the Oxycontin every week and only using bare minimum of Oxynorm.
    Don't want to get to the stage I'm chasing ever higher doses for the same level of relief

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

I'm going thru a bit of a Renal/Urological issue for the last few months that is hands down the most continuously painful thing I've encountered.

I won't say I feel ye're pain ;)

But I'm floating between a mix of Gabapentine, Oxynorm, Oxycontin and anti-inflammatories to get through days at the moment.
    My wife and kid have had to put up with a couple of hospital admissions already and tbh, I am at the stage where the pain is the new normal and at the moment the only treatment available is pain relief.
    My movement is quite restricted as anything longer than @15mins upright and I develop excruciating pain from my kidney down to my groin.
    Unless I have an exceptionally bad day now, I don't even mention it anymore.

I am a bit worried that this is going to turn into a nueropathic/diabetes related issue but no point stressing over it as everything I can control that can affect that side is being managed as well as possible.

I can totally understand why people get addicted to Oxy tho!

I'm trying to do a few days off at least the Oxycontin every week and only using bare minimum of Oxynorm.
    Don't want to get to the stage I'm chasing ever higher doses for the same level of relief

What does it feel like to be on oxy?

It's like the pain makes the head bad and head makes the pain bad
    Sounds like a lot of us have pain issues too

That's not a good road to go down.. It's a treatment for severe pain and it can do a good job but is tightly monitored. It doesn't really feel of anything but the relief when it targets pain is great.

Grem you have had pain injections have you ? I think that will be next for me , did they help you ?

The effect on my pain is fantastic, it really does offer fantastic relief.

As for what it feels like, somewhere between a light euphoria and a fúck the world I don't care ;)

I don't know if at the moment I'd attribute that release to the pain been locked down for a little while, or a chemical high.
    But the 1st time I was given it last month there was definitely a few goofy hours.
    Oxycontin is timed release so there's no real high from it, but the Oxynorm for breakthrough pain is quite quick acting and I suppose with the slow acting stuff already in my system it gives an added and near immediate pain release.

Its a seriously strong pain killer that I'm very much monitored on.
    Not a mood elevator, and even if it was, withdrawal and addiction are scary thoughts.

Grem you have had pain injections have you ? I think that will be next for me , did they help you ?

I've had a few types of nerve block and some lignocaine washes, most recently anaesthetic and steroid injections, it's all trial and error, nothing really doing anything thus far.

• Advertisement

I've had a few types of nerve block and some lignocaine washes, most recently anaesthetic and steroid injections, it's all trial and error, nothing really doing anything thus far.

I don't know the cause/source of your pain but I do hope that you get on top of it.

I've had regular intra-articular steroid/anaesthetic injections every 6 months or so for the last few years.
    I'm lucky enough that they've been quite effective for me for oseto arthritis.

Nerve pain and nueropathic pain is something I've only encountered recently.
    My sis in law has issues with it for quite a while and sees the pain management team in Limerick she still struggles tho.

It's like the pain makes the head bad and head makes the pain bad
    Sounds like a lot of us have pain issues too

From much free time and thus reading science papers for amusement.

Depression and Anxiety are very common co-morbidity with chronic illness and pain conditions.

From much free time and thus reading science papers for amusement.

Depression and Anxiety are very common co-morbidity with chronic illness and pain conditions.

Very true I'd say banie

Very true I'd say banie

There defo is a connection. I had really bad pain before round the groin area which affected my legs.
    GP sent me for an ultrasound on who know what. Was crapping myeslf but all was good.
    Then i had sciatica and recently some lower back pain.

No pain now apart from my brain thinking much. But i think a lot has to do with me being more active and eating better.

My psoriasis has improved greatly too, just need to keep doing what i am doing and stop worrying. It's hard to do but i need to learn to stop worrying about small things.

Message from my ex again, Didn't read it as i know that will just put me down.

This morning i had my young nephews, was great, i was up at 8am ready for them to call and had a great day with them.

I should be caring more for them then thinking about an ungrateful ex who has a heart like stone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

A sample of 3?

However we do have the benefit of living in a country where despite waiting lists the vast majority of people enjoy a reasonable and very affordable level of health care.

Disagreeing with that statement. If you mean good care by "reasonable." . medical card here and old/disabled and it is a neglected sector. Have had appalling experiences of sheer incompetence and negligence and the cover ups when you make a complaint are astounding. Head meet brick wall.

The effect on my pain is fantastic, it really does offer fantastic relief.

As for what it feels like, somewhere between a light euphoria and a fúck the world I don't care ;)

I don't know if at the moment I'd attribute that release to the pain been locked down for a little while, or a chemical high.
    But the 1st time I was given it last month there was definitely a few goofy hours.
    Oxycontin is timed release so there's no real high from it, but the Oxynorm for breakthrough pain is quite quick acting and I suppose with the slow acting stuff already in my system it gives an added and near immediate pain release.

Its a seriously strong pain killer that I'm very much monitored on.
    Not a mood elevator, and even if it was, withdrawal and addiction are scary thoughts.

amen t o your last sentence; I took a year of agony to get off wrongly prescribed valium

NEVER AGAIN.

I have deep nerve pain with the CFS/ME and have been on Tylex, same dose, for over a decade. When I came to Mayo, nearly 2 years ago, the dr here who is well over retirement age, apparently forgot to get my notes and my old GP who was excellent retired and the practice there was taken on by a n inexperienced Spaniard who flipped at the word codeine.

Took me nearly 15 months to twig re my notes ,, trekking round a rota of pharmacies week by week to get a useless OTC meds, Then contacted my former GP and finally. oh the word "barrister " was mentioned and " law suit," by me... emerges this GP only works oe day a week and there is no alternatice I can access and of course CFS/ME does not exist, as he told me.. I was at one time offered street drugs and almost agreed.

Drs and I stay away from each other now.. used to say they were OK for a broken bone but the hash they made of a simple wrist fracture at UHK... deformed now.
    NB I only left the UK 20 years ago so was raised with the NHS and the difference.. no comparison

There defo is a connection. I had really bad pain before round the groin area which affected my legs.
    GP sent me for an ultrasound on who know what. Was crapping myeslf but all was good.
    Then i had sciatica and recently some lower back pain.

No pain now apart from my brain thinking much. But i think a lot has to do with me being more active and eating better.

My psoriasis has improved greatly too, just need to keep doing what i am doing and stop worrying. It's hard to do but i need to learn to stop worrying about small things.

Message from my ex again, Didn't read it as i know that will just put me down.

This morning i had my young nephews, was great, i was up at 8am ready for them to call and had a great day with them.

I should be caring more for them then thinking about an ungrateful ex who has a heart like stone.

Block your ex? Please for your sake? You cannot control where your thoughts roam but you can screen out irritants..

Never be sorry for a rant.
    Better letting it out than keeping it in.

Last night was funny, watching the Celtic Champions league game.
    My Mother who's 75 and recovering from a stroke was up on her two feet shouting at a really bad referee. Made my fecking day :) Simple things can lighten up your evening.

like my cats especially the new three.. smallest one headbutts me

Graces7 wrote: »
    A sample of 3?

Disagreeing with that statement. If you mean good care by "reasonable." . medical card here and old/disabled and it is a neglected sector. Have had appalling experiences of sheer incompetence and negligence and the cover ups when you make a complaint are astounding. Head meet brick wall.

I concur. Before my medical card was approved i was paying €60 for GP visit and €30 for meds. Now when you are IB and getting €200 a week it doesn't leave much to live on.

Waiting list for me to see dermatologist is 2 years. Everyone saying just go private. Yes fair enough, i'll just go outside and take the money from the tree.

Re making complaints, when my Sister had her 2nd child she had a wrist band stating she was allergic to Penicillin, it was also stated on the file at the end of her bed.

Nurse administered her with Penicillin. This was when she was in labour. Her complaint fell on deaf ears basically. She was lucky not to have a reaction.

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    Block your ex? Please for your sake? You cannot control where your thoughts roam but you can screen out irritants..

I have but she is using someone else phone to message.

Advertisement