Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 123sheepdip

Flying Fox wrote: »

I have been prescribed Mirap/Mirtazapine but of course I've gone and googled all the horrible side effects (like extreme sedation, massive weight gain, etc) and freaked myself out. Anyone here have experience with it?

I haven't any experience of it but if you google any anti Dep/anxiety medication you will read the horror stories. This I am led to believe is because the those who are inclined to post are more likely to be those who had bad experiences. Plus, many bail very early and these testimonies cannot be taken as gospel for that reason. I feel for you as I was exactly the same, it took me three weeks to pluck it the courage to start mine. The first weeks can be rough but after that, it usually gets better. A lot of people relay that my meds cause weight gain but I've not regained the weight I lost at the start 6 months in despite eating normally now. If you find the side effects are too much to bear, you can ask to be changed to another med. this happens a lot as we are all different. I hope you start to feel better soon, you are not alone and feel free to post any questions or worries on your journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

As mentioned already do not go to Doctor Google, it will just increase anxiety. Many meds work differently for everyone, it's just like a lottery.

I lost a lot of weight and i was always slim before anyway. Now i am eating better and have more energy.

Only slept about 1.30am last night and was up at 6.30am. But a lot of it is down to fueling your body, i didn't have a nap today either. And i haven't done for a while.

Breakfast in the morning then out for a walk with the dogs, sometimes the thought of breakfast makes my stomach churn but even a little bit then a brisk walk helps much.

It's not easy, but sure nothing is easy in life.

Thanks 123sheepdip and BohsCeltic. I have relaxed a bit about the medication, probably because it has me zonked for most of the day. Hopefully just a case of getting used to it. Hope all going well for you both.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭candycock

Has anyone ever tried cannabis oil or smoke for depression and anxiety? Does it work?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

candycock wrote: »
    Has anyone ever tried cannabis oil or smoke for depression and anxiety? Does it work?

Doubt it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

candycock wrote: »

I wouldn't condone smoking for anxiety. Like any drug, it has it's pros and cons, as well as the possibility of having different and varying effects for different people.

First time I smoked, all was good, I calmed down and slept well. Second time, my mood tanked and I was somewhat belligerent. I had also been drinking that night, while being unmedicated for anxiety and bipolar disorder.

I would still not recommend the consumption of any drug for any reason, unless it's been prescribed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Meeting with HR today re my absences- see how that goes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,911 ✭✭✭✭banie01

lbc2019 wrote: »

Good luck.
    I hope they show a bit of compassion, flexibility and understanding towards you.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭ScottCapper

Still can’t sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Skybirdjb

Good luck

• Advertisement

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Went ok. I need to show improvement- work with HR, could work less days

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Great, well done..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi,

I have just got word today that I have been successful in an interview for promotion.
    I suffer from Anxiety which mostly effects me in work. To date in this role I have kept it all under control but I am worried that this promotion will set my anxiety off again.

Has anyone any tips that could help me? I see a counsellor every few weeks and it helps but I can't help but worry that I will mess up due to my anxiety. I go blank and can't concentrate and find it hard to focus when I get stressed. Panic (mostly irrational) takes over.

I have heard that there are good apps for Mindfulness that could help? Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Tomorrow, I have an appointment with my GP about my mental health. I am not regular at this at all and find it really hard to express myself properly in these situations without falling apart.

I have wrote down what I want to say on 1 page but I don't think I'll emotionally get through it.

Do you think he'd mind if I just handed him the page and he could ask questions from there?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Vince, that is exactly how I did my first appointment for mental health with my gp, it worked really well as I get so stressed I can't speak. Go for it, let us know how you get on, well done..

Tomorrow, I have an appointment with my GP about my mental health. I am not regular at this at all and find it really hard to express myself properly in these situations without falling apart.

I have wrote down what I want to say on 1 page but I don't think I'll emotionally get through it.

Do you think he'd mind if I just handed him the page and he could ask questions from there?
    Good luck !

Best of luck.

I find it easier to open to strangers. I get everything out.

Tomorrow i have a date with a girl. I want to go but not sure if i will. Just been so stressed lately which has flared up my psoriasis which in turn makes me more anxious and depressed.

Banks keep calling me too so makes me worry even more.

I wish i had a magic wand, but that's not going to happen, the only magic wand i have is to look back of what i have been through and count myself lucky i am still here.

Just back from a Neighbours funeral and now contemplating if i will go meet this girl.
    Too much thinking now.

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    Just back from a Neighbours funeral and now contemplating if i will go meet this girl.
    Too much thinking now.

Go for it!!

• Advertisement

Go for it you never know 😀

Go for it!!
    Skybirdjb wrote: »
    Go for it you never know 😀

Well i went, over 4 hours together.Got on really well. She said she would like to meet again. I get back home to a message from her saying she's in love with another man.

Fecking headache. She seemed nice and laughed much. Now she has blocked me on FB.

How quick people can change, it's like i always pick the wrong egg. Uhhh.

Well i went, over 4 hours together.Got on really well. She said she would like to meet again. I get back home to a message from her saying she's in love with another man.

Fecking headache. She seemed nice and laughed much. Now she has blocked me on FB.

How quick people can change, it's like i always pick the wrong egg. Uhhh.

Jesus christ what a head wreck. I can't understand that behaviour at all? You have a nice time then she sends you a message like that? What a nutter

Jesus christ what a head wreck. I can't understand that behaviour at all? You have a nice time then she sends you a message like that? What a nutter

Yep. I like people to be honest. Why not just say that to my face instead of lying. And also wasting my time and money too with her and also trying to help her get a job too.

Tired of helping people that never respect or be honest to me.

She did message back and added me again on FB and said she had a problem because she is foreign and was using a different number.

I'm tired of this now. But tomorrow my Sister and her husband and my three Nephews are coming for dinner. I am cooking and looking forward to it too.

And another girl who i was getting on good with but just through FB blocked me because she was asking for money and i said no. WTF is wrong with people.

I just attract the bad people.

Yep. I like people to be honest. Why not just say that to my face instead of lying. And also wasting my time and money too with her and also trying to help her get a job too.

Tired of helping people that never respect or be honest to me.

She did message back and added me again on FB and said she had a problem because she is foreign and was using a different number.

I'm tired of this now. But tomorrow my Sister and her husband and my three Nephews are coming for dinner. I am cooking and looking forward to it too.

And another girl who i was getting on good with but just through FB blocked me because she was asking for money and i said no. WTF is wrong with people.

I just attract the bad people.

A lot of scam artists out there, she probably wasn't even a woman at all

Hmm, wonder if she was having her own issues, she shouldn't have gone out with you obviously though.. Don't let it take the wind out of your sails too much, lick your wounds and get back out there.

Coming off lithium and feeling suicidal. Luckily I know it'll pass and need to fight it

A lot of scam artists out there, she probably wasn't even a woman at all

No she was because i used Facetime
    Hmm, wonder if she was having her own issues, she shouldn't have gone out with you obviously though.. Don't let it take the wind out of your sails too much, lick your wounds and get back out there.

I think she does have her own problems, but i am not making it mine because i did before and i have enough problems of my own. Family time tomorrow.

Just don't understand how some people can be so evil or have no heart despite the good i do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,911 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Coming off lithium and feeling suicidal. Luckily I know it'll pass and need to fight it

I can't believe that you were left hanging and people seem to have missed your post OMT!
    The selfishness of depression can suck sometimes ;)

I haven't been on Lithium, so I can't offer any advice on the withdrawal from it.
    That said, you seem to have a good handle on the problems it can bring.
    You can and will prevail ;)

Stay strong, post here and even tho I dropped out of this thread I will keep an eye out and come back to you as soon as I see it.

There are people here who will listen, and I'm sure those close to you will support you anyway they can too.

• Advertisement

How are you doing OneMore? I'm here for the night if you need to shout etc. I've come off some meds before that have been kinda horrific so i understand a small bit.

Advertisement