Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

How are you doing OneMore? I'm here for the night if you need to shout etc. I've come off some meds before that have been kinda horrific so i understand a small bit.

Thanks grem, I'm only off them a few days but feeling pretty ****ty. I'll sit tight though as I know these feelings will pass

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Thanks grem, I'm only off them a few days but feeling pretty ****ty. I'll sit tight though as I know these feelings will pass

Like i said i'm here all night. Minding empty site so free for you. Very impressed that you have the brainspace to know it'll pass and sit tight. More than i've been able to do many a time..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,911 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Good to hear OMT.
    Is it a tapered withdrawal or cold turkey?
    Hope that the withdrawal doesn't leave your sleep pattern too messed up.

banie01 wrote: »
    Good to hear OMT.
    Is it a tapered withdrawal or cold turkey?
    Hope that the withdrawal doesn't leave your sleep pattern too messed up.

Tapered was on 800mg down to 200mg down to nothing now. Survived another night now have to face the day

Tapered was on 800mg down to 200mg down to nothing now. Survived another night now have to face the day

Well done!
    Both on the taper, and on getting thru the night.
    I hope you have at least a plan to get yourself occupied and fed today ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Get a dog. Just been out for a good walk with my friend and our dogs. It relaxes me so much plus i get exercise.

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    Get a dog. Just been out for a good walk with my friend and our dogs. It relaxes me so much plus i get exercise.

Can't mate landlord doesn't allow pets

Can't mate landlord doesn't allow pets

That's a shame.

My psoriasis has gotten worse now so making me feel more down. It's so bad now that it's actually painfull.

And still waiting for Irish Life to respond which just makes me more anxious.

That's a shame.

My psoriasis has gotten worse now so making me feel more down. It's so bad now that it's actually painfull.

And still waiting for Irish Life to respond which just makes me more anxious.

I'd drop them an email to see what's going on

I'd drop them an email to see what's going on

Prefer dropping them a petrol bomb :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

struggling still; the ME is still in full attack and migraines etc. Just pottering and pootling, knitting etc.. the computer crash was... words fail and this ancient one AAAAAARGH

But I am old and that takes its toll too.. poooooooooor Graces! lol.

Always small things that carry through... watching the smaller cats follwoing me in the overgrown back field... too exuberant to run so they literally bounce along.

Just holding on to the small things that ar egreat

scuse typos; closing down now... small posy of sweet peas bny my bed..

hang on in there everyone...

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Skybirdjb

Graces7 wrote: »
    struggling still; the ME is still in full attack and migraines etc. Just pottering and pootling, knitting etc.. the computer crash was... words fail and this ancient one AAAAAARGH

But I am old and that takes its toll too.. poooooooooor Graces! lol.

Always small things that carry through... watching the smaller cats follwoing me in the overgrown back field... too exuberant to run so they literally bounce along.

Just holding on to the small things that ar egreat

scuse typos; closing down now... small posy of sweet peas bny my bed..

hang on in there everyone...

Hope your ok graces sending virtual hugs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

So just realised I've actually put on a poop load of weight over the last few months; was putting on a pair of jeans that fit me in Jan/Feb, couldn't even pull the sides to close the button. I'm blaming that on all the rubbish I shove down my throat for comfort eating.

*le sigh

And if that wasn't enough, I've just been informed that I'm being left go from my job at the end of the month! YAY! Not that I did anything wrong or something, they just no longer need someone for the position :rolleyes:

Skybirdjb wrote: »
    Hope your ok graces sending virtual hugs

for caring, blessings.. Much is the usual downturn for the shorter days,,, comes with the M.E,,, just having to adjust and not fret etc, As long as I can knit and enjoy the cats....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I am currently reading this book and find it truly enlightening and empowering.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lost-Connections-Youre-Depressed-Find/dp/1408878720/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=lost+connections+johann+hari&qid=1565881549&s=gateway&sprefix=lost+co&sr=8-1

Nobody should make any serious decisions on medication or support before consulting a trusted doctor.

I thought long and hard before posting this link because I know how vulnerable we can all feel when struggling badly. I’m currently in a really good place to listen, digest and address the solutions/information in this book but I will also discuss this with my GP who is very progressive and open minded.

What’s ironic is last year I had a very interesting philosophical discussion with GP where he admits he sometimes struggles between what he thinks might help versus what his industry would promote (medication) and he lamented the lack of time he gets with each patient.

For anybody who is wondering who I am (I know I don’t post much here anymore) you can search my boards profile for here and “let’s all laugh at depression” to see where I was at and can get to in terms of anxiety and depression. I’ve continually tried to be open to all new information that might help me have a more meaningful life. Where once I was on anti depressants, sleeping tablets , Zanex and washed it down at times with alcohol, I no longer require any of these drugs.

Hope was enough to help spring me into action and pull myself up from the depths of suicidal thoughts. Life is not meant to be a struggle. If it is a struggle it does not necessarily mean you are broken , perhaps there are factors in your life that have fooled you into believing you are your life’s biggest problem. Maybe your instincts are right about the world and you just don’t know how to resolve the constant pain and anxiety that follows these instincts.

Take care everybody.

Hope this is a taper not cold turkey? HUGS...

Crap day today. Went to go get some shopping. But my illness benefit never went through so no cash. Got home soaked as i had to walk and called them but no answer.

Rang Irish life about my claim. Oh yes we have that but the girl who deals with this is on holiday. I was then told i have to go to another one of their doctors but they are all on holiday so have to wait untill the end of September. Nearly one year now ffs.

Talk about stressing me more. Simply not acceptable paying for something that is now causing more stress.

Oh and my ex text me too.

Just aaaaaah feeling.

Crap day today. Went to go get some shopping. But my illness benefit never went through so no cash. Got home soaked as i had to walk and called them but no answer.

Rang Irish life about my claim. Oh yes we have that but the girl who deals with this is on holiday. I was then told i have to go to another one of their doctors but they are all on holiday so have to wait untill the end of September. Nearly one year now ffs.

Talk about stressing me more. Simply not acceptable paying for something that is now causing more stress.

Oh and my ex text me too.

Just aaaaaah feeling.

Hang on in there.. old saying that it is always darkest before the dawn tends to be blessedly true.

About to venture out to wind -walk and gather blackberries.. woefully unsteady on my legs but keep trying... and the ocean air helps... oxygen therapy.. a blessedly empty day...as I am not able for more than a blessedly empty day...

my autumn slide is in full spate … hoping it bottoms soon.. dark times! One year way back I was writing a newsletter and felt . by December, like writing . " Then the house burned down with everyone in it.."! Resisted of course ;)

Poses as depression but it the SAD caused by CFS /ME

Graces7 wrote: »
    my autumn slide is in full spate … hoping it bottoms soon.. dark times! One year way back I was writing a newsletter and felt . by December, like writing . " Then the house burned down with everyone in it.."! Resisted of course ;)

Poses as depression but it the SAD caused by CFS /ME

Have you ever tried to use a SAD lamp or Light therapy Grace?

No experience of it myself but it's one of those therapies that has always had an academic interest for me based on the Scandavian studies.

• Advertisement

banie01 wrote: »
    Have you ever tried to use a SAD lamp or Light therapy Grace?

No experience of it myself but it's one of those therapies that has always had an academic interest for me based on the Scandavian studies.

Oh yes but cannot tolerate bright light. Bought one and had to give it away! It makes sense and I researched deeply. Ah well! It will bottom out at some stage. I can still make my food, cut flowers, even pick berries at times etc..

Well a crap last few day's. My Illness Benefit has not been paid since August 9th. Just adding more stress. I am getting promises it will be in but never arrived and when i call i am getting passed from peter to paul.

I have borrowed money since then from family and friends but can no longer do. My electricity has nearly run out as has my food so feel like crap and cannot borrow more.

I went to the Community welfare officer today but no help, when i said what am i supposed to do she just said she could not help, and THEN on the way out she said just eat cornflakes untill the problem is fixed.

What a crap thing to say to someone in a dire position, just added more fuel to the fire.

Anyway rant over, just needed to get it off my chest.

Well a crap last few day's. My Illness Benefit has not been paid since August 9th. Just adding more stress. I am getting promises it will be in but never arrived and when i call i am getting passed from peter to paul.

I have borrowed money since then from family and friends but can no longer do. My electricity has nearly run out as has my food so feel like crap and cannot borrow more.

I went to the Community welfare officer today but no help, when i said what am i supposed to do she just said she could not help, and THEN on the way out she said just eat cornflakes untill the problem is fixed.

What a crap thing to say to someone in a dire position, just added more fuel to the fire.

Anyway rant over, just needed to get it off my chest.

Contact them on twitter they are really helpful on twitter

I have many times and get a call but they still just promise but never deliver. I know it's not far but a wasted 5km walk in the rain for nothing despite them telling me i would get a supplementary payment but no.

This makes me so so angry , your on illness benefit because you are a employee that has paid tax for however many years and they can’t even look after you when you are sick and THEY messed up your payments !!
    There are scumbags in a council house , not a notion of ever working going in the the social office and getting emergency money straight into their hand .......makes me so so mad
    Sorry for the rant really gets my back up

I have many times and get a call but they still just promise but never deliver. I know it's not far but a wasted 5km walk in the rain for nothing despite them telling me i would get a supplementary payment but no.

Just wondering If st Vincent d Paul could help you ? They surly can help you with some food or a voucher to get food ? No shame in asking for help .

Private message @welfare_ie and tell them the situation. Beg them to call you and get it sorted tell them how severe your situation is. And fcuk that person who told you to live on cornflakes is report that person to welfare for how they treated you

Skybirdjb wrote: »
    Just wondering If st Vincent d Paul could help you ? They surly can help you with some food or a voucher to get food ? No shame in asking for help .

I've messaged my mate so just waiting to hear back. Embarrassing that i had to ask, should never be in a situation like this. Oh and the girl said can i not borrow from my Mother. I told her that i have already borrowed and Mother she just get's state pension.

I seen another girl come out crying too and then you see all the others wearing top of the range clothes getting the money no problem.

I've messaged my mate so just waiting to hear back. Embarrassing that i had to ask, should never be in a situation like this. Oh and the girl said can i not borrow from my Mother. I told her that i have already borrowed and Mother she just get's state pension.

I seen another girl come out crying too and then you see all the others wearing top of the range clothes getting the money no problem.

Yeah the system is fcuked you're faced with problems all the way. Irish life has taught me that for sure. I'm confident if you plead with them on twitter they will help you they've always been good to me

• Advertisement

Friend just called up and sorted me out. Always nice to have good friends.

I also going to write a complaint as how to they messed this up and how they treated me. They told many lies.

And i will mention what that girl said to me.

Advertisement