Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

Thanks for the replies. I'm sort of leaning towards not going. A lot of times previously I would have been placed in a position of having to put my own needs second. I'm thinking even though it's a significant event I have to put my own needs first not out of defiance but because it took me a long time to learn that it's ok to put your own needs first sometimes.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

One of the first things we do to ourselves is put others before us.. Well done on thinking to put yourself up there ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Currently have a feeling that I can't do anything right. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭TLOA72

With everything you do, if you're right or wrong remember that you're only learning. "Whether you BELIEVE that you CAN or you CANT, you are right.

TLOA72 wrote: »
    With everything you do, if you're right or wrong remember that you're only learning. "Whether you BELIEVE that you CAN or you CANT, you are right.

That is actually a lovely way of looking at it. Thank you for that.

How are you keeping there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bridgettedon

I feel like the ugliest person in the world. I hate how my self esteem can get so low. Decisions made during that time are never good. My self esteem is always low but it has plummeted. I don't even know how to overcome it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

This is why when in a crisis situation i go into flight mode, i don't always manage though.. Bridgettedon, do the bare minimum, when you feel like this, making it through the day is the win.

This is why when in a crisis situation i go into flight mode, i don't always manage though.. Bridgettedon, do the bare minimum, when you feel like this, making it through the day is the win.

Thanks for the kind post. I think I will try and do that. It's easy to try and push yourself to feel better but by the end of the day you actually end up feeling worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,892 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I feel like the ugliest person in the world. I hate how my self esteem can get so low. Decisions made during that time are never good. My self esteem is always low but it has plummeted. I don't even know how to overcome it.

Exactly what Gremlinertia said. If all you can do is get through today then let that be it. F*ck anyone that says you "have" to do more.

Allow yourself time for your self esteem to flourish when it's ready. It will be a lot stronger that way.

Bare minimum is often the best thing to be done. 90% of my days are the bare minimum. 10% of going beyond that is just a small victory, but a victory nonetheless.

• Advertisement

Exactly what Gremlinertia said. If all you can do is get through today then let that be it. F*ck anyone that says you "have" to do more.

Allow yourself time for your self esteem to flourish when it's ready. It will be a lot stronger that way.

I'm starting counselling again this week so hopefully that will help somewhat with the self esteem. There were always more pressing issues to be worked on so hopefully self esteem will be worked on this time around. Especially in relation to physical appearance. It all ties in with my overeating as well, I think. I know what's happening to me isn't worse than what happens to others. It's just it knocks me for six when others can cope better. I have a gp visit as well this week. I wish it wasn't a bank holiday so I had it tomorrow instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,892 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I'm starting counselling again this week so hopefully that will help somewhat with the self esteem. There were always more pressing issues to be worked on so hopefully self esteem will be worked on this time around. Especially in relation to physical appearance. It all ties in with my overeating as well, I think. I know what's happening to me isn't worse than what happens to others. It's just it knocks me for six when others can cope better. I have a gp visit as well this week. I wish it wasn't a bank holiday so I had it tomorrow instead.

That's understandable. It's very difficult when we can understand our behaviour and see how some of it negatively reinforces low self-esteem yet we struggle to change it.

Be easy on yourself. If you can identify anything you enjoy, is it possible to experience any of it today without adding to any stress levels?

Over the last few or so, I learned that there are some hard truths in life, especially of those of us who are afflicted as we are.

I don't think I'm ready yet to accept those hard truths though, or if I ever will be. I hope to get to a stage where I can though.

A journey along the path of depression/anxiety/associated mental issues is one of constant self-education. As with education in general, everyone is of a different ability to learn and adapt. I can now see that this will be a lifelong journey and as such will be a life of learning too. This seems like a huge challenge at the moment, but I can imagine that it'll be a rewarding journey once it is complete.

I'm delighted to have you in here to take this journey with together.

Still feeling a wee bit down. I think an early night and watching some netflix in bed is my plan for the night. I am kinda agitated still but I know that no one can fix this for me. It needs to come from me. Still wish someone could come with a magic wand and fix it though.

Still feeling a wee bit down. I think an early night and watching some netflix in bed is my plan for the night. I am kinda agitated still but I know that no one can fix this for me. It needs to come from me. Still wish someone could come with a magic wand and fix it though.

I want the magic wand too. I've been told so many times that it doesn't work like that, but a part of me still hopes.

I think anyone with a chronic or long term illness has dreams about a wand.. It's very hard to bear at times. I've been yammering on about mental health on my fb again of late.. I think some people just don't 'get' invisible illness, or find it easier to ignore until it lands at their own door..

I think anyone with a chronic or long term illness has dreams about a wand.. It's very hard to bear at times. I've been yammering on about mental health on my fb again of late.. I think some people just don't 'get' invisible illness, or find it easier to ignore until it lands at their own door..

Very true, Grem.

By the way, I find it great that people like yourself talk openly about mental health issues on FB. I'm a little cautious to do so on there for some reason. :o

I had to give up hiding, i lost too many people, i don't want to wait back anymore, i know it's not for everyone and i still get a lot of nerves about being so open.. There's more than a few people shouting, just not getting heard.

I had to give up hiding, i lost too many people, i don't want to wait back anymore, i know it's not for everyone and i still get a lot of nerves about being so open.. There's more than a few people shouting, just not getting heard.

That's very honest and commendable.

I think part of my hesitance to post stuff like that is my family. They all know of my basic issues, but they have no idea of the extent of it. I would hate to worry them any further if I can manage it along with professional help.

• Advertisement

Yeah i don't really have much family on fb, none of them into it really so that helps. I'm just horrified at the funding cuts in particular when the statistics are so stark.

Yeah i don't really have much family on fb, none of them into it really so that helps. I'm just horrified at the funding cuts in particular when the statistics are so stark.

It's horrific. There is so much awareness these days of mental health issues thankfully, yet the cuts are a huge slap in the face to everyone.

I'm in for an appointment during the week and already i feel somewhat guilty for the time i'll be taking up.. That's something i have never felt in the other departments i've attended in hospital over the years. Can't imagine morale for the staff would be great either..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

I had a great Saturday, up early showered and everything - then slept all day today :(

I'm in for an appointment during the week and already i feel somewhat guilty for the time i'll be taking up.. That's something i have never felt in the other departments i've attended in hospital over the years. Can't imagine morale for the staff would be great either..

You have nothing to feel guilty for, Grem.

mansize wrote: »
    I had a great Saturday, up early showered and everything - then slept all day today :(

Don't beat yourself up, M.

Mansize, Sunday is a good day for a rest, that's all i really did either if nothing bad happened then it was a good day really.. We put ourselves under to much pressure to always be 'doing' things.. It's not as important as you think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Don't beat yourself up, M.

Thanks it wasn't like I was hiding just really enjoyed the sleep then with a lot of very vivid dreams during the day!

Mam called to visit, I didn't get up and when I came down she'd done a little tidy up and put on a load of washing for me. Love her.

I will get up tomorrow.

mansize wrote: »
    Thanks it wasn't like I was hiding just really enjoyed the sleep then with a lot of very vivid dreams during the day!

Mam called to visit, I didn't get up and when I cam down she'd done a little tidy up and put on a load of washing for me. Love her.

I will get up tomorrow.

That sounds nice actually. Just think of it as a happy recharge day. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Euphoria Intensifies

A journey along the path of depression/anxiety/associated mental issues is one of constant self-education. As with education in general, everyone is of a different ability to learn and adapt. I can now see that this will be a lifelong journey and as such will be a life of learning too. This seems like a huge challenge at the moment, but I can imagine that it'll be a rewarding journey once it is complete.

I agree 100% Hugo - I have learned so much about myself over the past few years. Although those lessons were learned through pretty shi**y circumstances, I'd still rather know these things about myself than not know them.

Hope everyone is enjoying the bank holiday!

Advertisement