Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

When i was out sick with my back once my doc certified me i could go to social welfare, see if that's something you can explore. I empathise with you on the anxiety, it's a big battle for me too and i've been pondering what i need to do next work wise..

• Registered Users Posts: 3 jointheconvo

Skybirdjb wrote: »
    Hi and welcome !
    It’s giid to let things out and we are all here for u , have you looked into illness benifut ? Are u an employee? Or self employed

I'm an employee, hired by an IT consultancy company to work for another company, so not sure what goes there since I am not directly employed at the company I work at. I will look at the Illness Benefit, I'll have to see if it applies based on my previous employment as I went from college to trying a master's degree (had to leave that too as supervisors were not in any way helpful or understanding of my issues), then I went to my previous job which was only for almost a year, then a few months of being out of work and not on social welfare as I want aware of the whole having to have PRSI contributions and social welfare counted towards that, plus I would have only got very little due to my partner having an income. I will contact them and see if they can help, not sure what to do if they can't, but trying not to think that and instead trying to believe I will go to work next week. Thanks though, I will keep in looking and see if this an option for me, just looking forward to the day where I have a handle on things and can get on with life, even if it is only slightly better that would be great.
    When i was out sick with my back once my doc certified me i could go to social welfare, see if that's something you can explore. I empathise with you on the anxiety, it's a big battle for me too and i've been pondering what i need to do next work wise..

I just have to get into my doctor, and see if they can give a cert or something. Not sure if social welfare can backdate a month or so, but I'm sure I'll find out one way or another what can be done, I just hate being a stress on my partner as all of his income is being spent on paying our way through this all, so he has nothing for himself and we can't fix the few things like the car and a computer. I think all we can do is focus on the here and now, try get through they little things, and over time they build up, so it should become more manageable. I say that, even though I find it very tough to believe it as it takes so much out of me to keep going, but I just have to tell myself that it will be ok and try get that belief there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I think all we can do is focus on the here and now, try get through they little things, and over time they build up, so it should become more manageable. I say that, even though I find it very tough to believe it as it takes so much out of me to keep going, but I just have to tell myself that it will be ok and try get that belief there.

This is what will get you through this. Someone used to ask how you ate an elephant? One bite at a time! Climbing a mountain one step at a time,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Anyone else missing an illness benefit payment this weekend? I usually get it Saturday but nothing this weekend. More stress

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Skybirdjb

You should def be able to get illness benefit it’s €203 a week your go will give you the special Certs to send the social welfare, I have bern on it for nearly a year now .
    Totally get what you are saying money wise I went from getting a very good wage to illness benefit such a shock barely able to pay bills here mortgage etc . And the guilt I feel for my husband working 6 days a week to bring money in .
    Hang on in there your stronger than you know and we are here for a rant and stuff

• Advertisement

Anyone else missing an illness benefit payment this weekend? I usually get it Saturday but nothing this weekend. More stress

I got mine this morning but many a week it’s been late or missing Twitter is the only way of getting through to them but that will be Monday
    So so stressful when your dependent on it like

I got mine this morning but many a week it’s been late or missing Twitter is the only way of getting through to them but that will be Monday
    So so stressful when your dependent on it like

Yes twitter is the only way. Stress I could do without right now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

I'm an employee, hired by an IT consultancy company to work for another company, so not sure what goes there since I am not directly employed at the company I work at. I will look at the Illness Benefit, I'll have to see if it applies based on my previous employment as I went from college to trying a master's degree (had to leave that too as supervisors were not in any way helpful or understanding of my issues), then I went to my previous job which was only for almost a year, then a few months of being out of work and not on social welfare as I want aware of the whole having to have PRSI contributions and social welfare counted towards that, plus I would have only got very little due to my partner having an income. I will contact them and see if they can help, not sure what to do if they can't, but trying not to think that and instead trying to believe I will go to work next week. Thanks though, I will keep in looking and see if this an option for me, just looking forward to the day where I have a handle on things and can get on with life, even if it is only slightly better that would be great.

I just have to get into my doctor, and see if they can give a cert or something. Not sure if social welfare can backdate a month or so, but I'm sure I'll find out one way or another what can be done, I just hate being a stress on my partner as all of his income is being spent on paying our way through this all, so he has nothing for himself and we can't fix the few things like the car and a computer. I think all we can do is focus on the here and now, try get through they little things, and over time they build up, so it should become more manageable. I say that, even though I find it very tough to believe it as it takes so much out of me to keep going, but I just have to tell myself that it will be ok and try get that belief there.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/disability_and_illness/disability_benefit.html#ld1a9a

All info here. Try and do it asap. And i understand your position. It's tough. I was the same with work, I'll be back next week e.t.c but it never happened. Best of luck.

Mine went in as normal but every week i stress that it might not go in because i cannot trust them. Shouldn't be in a position like this.
    Hope it goes in for you on Monday.

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/disability_and_illness/disability_benefit.html#ld1a9a

All info here. Try and do it asap. And i understand your position. It's tough. I was the same with work, I'll be back next week e.t.c but it never happened. Best of luck.

Mine went in as normal but every week i stress that it might not go in because i cannot trust them. Shouldn't be in a position like this.
    Hope it goes in for you on Monday.

Thanks bohs, just annoyed at the extra stress that it's putting on me at a time I don't need it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Venting time (please feel free to ignore)

Pro: doc put me on new meds! Yay! Powerful ones too! Yay!

Con: f*cking things are TOO powerful and for the first time in my life, I actually suffer from side effects from tablets (first out of the hundreds of drugs I've been prescribed over my 30 fk-ing years) and forced to take off time from work. The effects are only wearing off now.

Where does it end.. .. .. any slight sign of some sort of reprieve and then it's 5 step backwards again.. .. ..

• Advertisement

jaxxx wrote: »

Con: f*cking things are TOO powerful and for the first time in my life, I actually suffer from side effects from tablets (first out of the hundreds of drugs I've been prescribed over my 30 fk-ing years) and forced to take off time from work. The effects are only wearing off now.

Where does it end.. .. .. any slight sign of some sort of reprieve and then it's 5 step backwards again.. .. ..

Balls on that. I'd make an appointment tomorrow to discuss with your doc. Having said that on some meds I have taken I felt side effects for few weeks (suicidal ideation etc) but they disappeared

• Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭FluffyTowel

That’s good that u got an appointment don’t be nervous it’s the first step (and a big one ) to feeling better
    Def write things down even a few thoughts every day it will make it easier to explain how u are feeling

Well, I literally could have scripted it. Called doc today for follow up, and took a few tries to speak to somebody in English (although I had my question sitting there in Google Translate so that I could give a go to try to explain. Tbh - I probably stressed out the poor receptionist more with my crappy German pronunciation).

Anyway, there was nothing in my notes re. an appointment, so, there you go, and I’ll just call back tomorrow. This wasn’t good for my anxiety! :D Knew it would happen though. Which is fairly pessimistic, but onwards and upwards.

Another bad day. My psoriasis is so bad and hurting so much. Advised to go to a&e but i can't.
    I'm alone here. I don't want to go because they will keep me in. My Aunt is on her last few breaths so i need to be there for my Mother and family.
    Will have to fight through this pain. I know people always say look after yourself first but i'm different even though i know they are right. My Aunt said the same to me just the other day.
    She knows her light will be turned off soon, hours or at least a day or 2 now.

I thought i was starting to get my anxiety and depression under control but then this psoriasis came along which fuc*ked things up.

It's just so many setbacks. But i know i have to keep fighting back each time but it get's tiring.

Another bad day. My psoriasis is so bad and hurting so much. Advised to go to a&e but i can't.
    I'm alone here. I don't want to go because they will keep me in. My Aunt is on her last few breaths so i need to be there for my Mother and family.
    Will have to fight through this pain. I know people always say look after yourself first but i'm different even though i know they are right. My Aunt said the same to me just the other day.

]I thought i was starting to get my anxiety and depression under control but then this psoriasis came along which fuc*ked things up.

It's just so many setbacks. But i know i have to keep fighting back each time but it get's tiring.

All I can send you is (((HUGS))) and prayers; lighting a candle here for you and for your Aunt.. May the peace of this remote place infill and surround thee.

jaxxx wrote: »

Oh dear. What did they put you on?

I thought i was starting to get my anxiety and depression under control but then this psoriasis came along which fuc*ked things up.

That's a **** one buddy. Take a rest from fighting. Just let it wash over you. let yourself be sad but remember that it is only temporary.

Oh dear. What did they put you on?

Hi dunne ! How are you ?

Hi dunne ! How are you ?

Hi Skybird!

I'm not too bad today thanks. Plugging along one day at a time. Feeling better than I did yesterday so that's a plus.

How are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭statto25

Any tips for stopping me from beating myself up mentally? I am using the STOP method as recommended but I still find myself drifting into self torture mode constantly

statto25 wrote: »
    Any tips for stopping me from beating myself up mentally? I am using the STOP method as recommended but I still find myself drifting into self torture mode constantly

I'm in the same boat too. What is the stop method if you don't mind me asking?

• Advertisement

I'm in the same boat too. What is the stop method if you don't mind me asking?

http://cogbtherapy.com/mindfulness-meditation-blog/mindfulness-stop-skill

statto25 wrote: »

This is very good I have used it many time lately .... by the way hi :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Ugh I know how you feel. Years ago my psoriasis got so bad I ended up having to take several weeks off work during which I got UVB therapy. I got certs from my GP but my employer was so dubious at the idea of psoriasis being so bad that I couldn't work - obviously they didn't see me when it was at its worst or they would've understood! Sure I could barely manage to get out of the house for the hospital appointments, even with my parents driving me there and back, it hurt too much to put shoes and clothes on and every movement had me bleeding in numerous places. Pure torture.

UVB therapy worked fairly well for me - I've had it twice. What also worked for me was pregnancy (bit of a drastic measure! :pac:) and also giving up alcohol; however I was an extremely heavy drinker, if you're only an occasional drinker then I doubt giving it up would make much of a difference.

It's also worth doing plenty of research into foods that are linked with psoriasis, if you haven't done so already. You might be surprised at some of the foods that have a strong link with it, e.g. nightshades such as tomatoes and peppers and potatoes. None of those trigger mine in small doses, but if I used tomato-based sauces for cooking a few nights in a row, I'd definitely notice a flare up.

The other thing is to use paraben and sulfate free products. Funnily enough I can use any body wash at all, but if I use regular shampoo and conditioner I really notice a flare up - not just on my scalp and face, but all over my body. So I need to be very careful about that.

Non-bio washing detergent is recommended too, however washing detergent is expensive and I'm a cheap-skate, so I just buy whatever's on offer. :rolleyes:

Hope some of the above helps. I (literally!) feel your pain, I hope it starts to ease for you soon.

Thank you for the tips. I know drinking is not helping me and also i love tomatoes, especially in a sauce or soup. Will have to try cut it out and see if it helps.

My stress is not helping too.
    My Aunt passed away this morning :(, I have to go to her home to see my Mother and her family today.
    It's hard because a really sad time and also hard because i am in so much pain but i have to go as she was like a second Mother to me.

Time for me to be strong.

Thank you for the tips. I know drinking is not helping me and also i love tomatoes, especially in a sauce or soup. Will have to try cut it out and see if it helps.

My Aunt passed away this morning :(, I have to go to her home to see my Mother and her family today.
    It's hard because a really sad time and also hard because i am in so much pain but i have to go as she was like a second Mother to me.

Sorry to hear that bohs

Sorry for your loss BohsCeltic

Have a candle lit for you bohs, it'll stay lit till nighttime

May she rest in peace and may the Lord shine the Light of His countenance upon thee all in this sad situation.

Be as easy on you as is possible. and yes, avoid drinking..

Fighting a migraine that is trying to get in. FInally yesterday a very difficult financial issue concerning others as well as myself was sorted, or, rather, a way through it. Been like this for literally months. Head has met brick wall so often it is permanently dented.

The wall is missing a few bricks too..

Tears of relief as I even type this. It has been sheer utter frustrating hell.

MIgraines love these easing off situations!

Thank the Dear Lord for Immigran Nasal

• Advertisement

Anxious today about going to funeral home.
    Also i have been asked to carry the coffin tomorrow too. With my body so sore my Mother said if i can do it, I said yes as that is what my Aunt would want.
    Will fight through the pain.

Advertisement