Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Good idea! The more you move the better you feel (or at least that's what the poster in my psychiatrist says!)

What podcast are you listening to?

Usually only listen to American and British (NPR & BBC). Interviews, current affairs, film reviews, human interest, documentaries. Tonight it was Fresh Air with Terry Gross. I did some yoga as well. Not great after the walk, but showering has freshened me physically and eased some of the mental side. Dunno if I can face two job applications in the coming days. Behind on a few emails, but they're non-urgent.

How do you find the cold weather?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭statto25

Had it out with a person ive been at logger heads with for 6 months and I have to say I feel better today. Its a stepping stone to a life orfsomewhat normality again. I still have a huge fear of facing people and have secluded myself but I am hoping they now see why I have battled so hard against them and they will help me get out into society again. An absolute ton more things to get sorted but a little positivity is finally welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Usually only listen to American and British (NPR & BBC). Interviews, current affairs, film reviews, human interest, documentaries. Tonight it was Fresh Air with Terry Gross. I did some yoga as well. Not great after the walk, but showering has freshened me physically and eased some of the mental side. Dunno if I can face two job applications in the coming days. Behind on a few emails, but they're non-urgent.

How do you find the cold weather?

Big fan of npr and BBC World service podcasts myself

Finding this cold weather difficult. Our heating is managed by the land lord and is only on 6-9pm in the evening. We have an electric heater but that'd cost a fortune to run

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

So bleedin tired of this. Well sick well. It is wearing me out. Its going kill me. Sick of it. Im 44 and this thing is really has destroyed my life.

im fed up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I hear you. All the negatives pressing down on me here..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,903 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I hear you. All the negatives pressing down on me here..

Hope that passes. Cup of tea and some uplifting music or something to distract you on YouTube maybe?

im poxy fed up. i have felt well many times but i just think this bastard **** thing wares you bleedin down. sorry

i was great and it just wins in the the end i think.

pissed off

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Finished work at 08.00 can't rest for the Life of me..

• Registered Users Posts: 17 facelesss

Just sick of the whole lot of it. Nothing brings me joy at the moment. Have to even put on a smile for people and pretend to be happy. Dreading going to Santa land with the kids. Seeing everybody enjoying themselves when I just want to be on own.
    Haven't been able to hold down a job for the last few years due to depressive episodes. So constantly broke and struggling on daily basis. Just feeling like a hamster on a wheel no end in sight. Medication doesn't seem to even keep stable anymore. Don't know how long I can keep going on like this before I check out. It would be the easy way out. Cheers for reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Anyone here have panic attacks? My arms went numb like pins and needles and I couldn't stop shaking. Like I was gonna pass out. Is that that?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Whitecarstones

Literally feel the same way.
    I attend all kinds of doctors but being honest they actually havent a clue. They think they are the professionals because they have a degree. They dont understand what it feels like to be this low.

I have been told to exercise, go to the gym, meet friends, bla bla. Sometimes that is not enough to quench that pain. If it was that easy noone would be suffering. Or when you are bad outside office hours to ring these hotlines. Im sorry but for me that doesnt come even close to helping.

I too am constantly broke. Afraid of how im going to pay my bills etc.
    Being on the hamster wheel is exactly how i feel.

facelesss wrote: »
    Just sick of the whole lot of it. Nothing brings me joy at the moment. Have to even put on a smile for people and pretend to be happy. Dreading going to Santa land with the kids. Seeing everybody enjoying themselves when I just want to be on own.
    Haven't been able to hold down a job for the last few years due to depressive episodes. So constantly broke and struggling on daily basis. Just feeling like a hamster on a wheel no end in sight. Medication doesn't seem to even keep stable anymore. Don't know how long I can keep going on like this before I check out. It would be the easy way out. Cheers for reading.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Running. Pilates. And yet, evenings still hit hard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭4Ad

Is it the weather ?
    Or that it is that getting close to Christmas and we should all feel happy etc, bolloxology ??

4Ad wrote: »
    Is it the weather ?
    Or that it is that getting close to Christmas and we should all feel happy etc, bolloxology ??

Not so much that. Have been knocked back on a few things lately. Sleep was a little better at the weekend, but was poor last night and into Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,256 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    Anyone here have panic attacks? My arms went numb like pins and needles and I couldn't stop shaking. Like I was gonna pass out. Is that that?
    It sounds like it could be but, in my experience, they're not always the same. I've had ones where I struggled to breathe, ones where I can't speak, ones where I start shaking, ones where I have a burning sensation inside, ones where everything goes all blurry and probably many more. If they can be wildly different for me then I imagine it's quite possible that other people have ones that are quite different from the ones I have.

Do any of you struggle with paranoid thoughts? I'm better than in recent weeks but I'm at a fairly constant low level at the moment. I know when I'm like this, I get paranoid, think everyone is looking at me and judging me. One of my colleagues today has a cold so had their mouth and nose area covered with a scarf. I know this is the case yet I had convinced myself that it was because I smelt really bad. I also was convinced that people were ignoring me because they didn't speak to me, this is despite the fact they weren't talking to anyone, which is normally the case in work, and I wasn't making any effort to talk to people either. When people did talk to me, I mumbled short answers. I'm aware of all this, yet in my head they are the ones who have a problem with me.

I also get nostalgic for my teens as I convince myself that I was happier and things were easier, though deep down I know this isn't the case. I'm aware that it's just a distraction technique but it overcomes me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

I'm approaching the big 3-0. And have no one to share it with, bar the parents of course. 2019 sucked. Let's hope 2020 is better for us all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

4Ad wrote: »
    Is it the weather ?

Be aware that the shortest day is within reach now... Even before Christmas. Darkest time then LIGHT

Be happy in what you have!

• Advertisement

jaxxx wrote: »
    I'm approaching the big 3-0. And have no one to share it with, bar the parents of course. 2019 sucked. Let's hope 2020 is better for us all!

AHem, heading for 8- 0. here and happy with any small thing . Had actually an interesting year. Interpret that any way ;) The year I became perforce housebound. Love LIFE.

running on ever decreasing fumes here as the days shorten and are darker now. just marking time until 21st
    somnambulist

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,009 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I really hate this time of the year. The happiness of everyone around me when I'm miserable really just drives me further down tbh. Roll on January.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

I ****ing hate Chrismas. It just isn't a happy time for me. I hate the forced "fun" the randomly forced family bollocks. They "oh don't be a grinch ya joyless bastard" Eh how about you leave me alone, if I don't wanna celebrate Christmas then so what, it's my life. It's not a happy time. Everyone worrying and going mad over presents and what to get, money, all rubbish. Why bother? Like I started last year and continue this year... Dec 25th and New Years are just another day.

I'm volunteering in the morning and working that night. It really is just another day. It's painfully long if you have nothing to do though..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Is it just me or is Boards less busy than it used to be...another thing for me to be depressed about I guess lol

Season's greetings all....

Is Hugo still in here btw

fr336 wrote: »
    Is it just me or is Boards less busy than it used to be...another thing for me to be depressed about I guess lol

Season's greetings all....

Is Hugo still in here btw

Haven't heard from BohsCeltic in a while

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Genuinely thinking of burning myself alive as a protest against corruption. Dont have much left to lose. I have done my duty as a citizen but those responsible have failed. The bullies, scum have control of society. The law is an irrelevance to them - in fact some of them know what they can get around or ignore because they wrote it. there are people at high levels in society that are just openly corrupt. I’m talking real evil, snakes in suits, and yet their public reputation is like clean as a whistle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭flos1964

Hello...i hope its ok to ask this here...well between failing health and other things i have become extremely unhappy and very very down ....my doctor has prescribed seretral for me...am on my sixth day...is it to early to expect improvement?...sorry if its a stupid question...thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

flos1964 wrote: »
    Hello...i hope its ok to ask this here...well between failing health and other things i have become extremely unhappy and very very down ....my doctor has prescribed seretral for me...am on my sixth day...is it to early to expect improvement?...sorry if its a stupid question...thanks in advance.

Hi there

Antidepressants usually take 6-8 weeks to work. Stick at them make sure you take it everyday and hopefully you'll feel better in the coming weeks.

Advertisement