Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭flos1964

Hi there

Antidepressants usually take 6-8 weeks to work. Stick at them make sure you take it everyday and hopefully you'll feel better in the coming weeks.

Thank you for reply ...will keep going.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

flos1964 wrote: »
    Thank you for reply ...will keep going.

Stick with it mate, it can be tough at the beginning but keep at it. We're always here to help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭flos1964

Stick with it mate, it can be tough at the beginning but keep at it. We're always here to help

I hope you know how much them kind words have ment to me today....happy christmas to you and yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Hi there

Antidepressants usually take 6-8 weeks to work. Stick at them make sure you take it everyday and hopefully you'll feel better in the coming weeks.

Often not as long as that, many click in by week 3.

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Often not as long as that, many click in by week 3.

Perhaps. But I'm just relaying what my psychiatrist said

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

Genuinely thinking of burning myself alive as a protest against corruption. Dont have much left to lose. I have done my duty as a citizen but those responsible have failed. The bullies, scum have control of society. The law is an irrelevance to them - in fact some of them know what they can get around or ignore because they wrote it. there are people at high levels in society that are just openly corrupt. I’m talking real evil, snakes in suits, and yet their public reputation is like clean as a whistle.

I share your sense of desperation and perhaps even anomie - but there's little enough to be gained from throwing away ones life in a hopeless desire to overthrow everything. If you're really concerned, take a small single issue and campaign on that. Small manageable tasks, good for handling the day to day and good for organizing larger projects too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

Is there no mad side effects to taking stuff?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Generally not, the risk is usually small. Any side effects usually not dramatic, i've been on a range over the years at various doses and i've only been drowsy or dry mouthed a few times, getting used to one anti-depressant did cause me some dark thoughts for a few days but nothing serious. Of course it may vary for you but most people don't get anything too dramatic, the information sheet that comes with most tablets warns of all sorts but the chances can be one in thousands or tens of thousands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,903 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    Is there no mad side effects to taking stuff?

Can vary from person to person. I have been on a lot of different types and strengths of doses. Some of the strongest side effects were extremely vivid dreams.

It might be worth considering starting a diary of mood while on them. Score your mood out of 10 daily. This can be useful to help communicate to a Dr whether or not there was a trend one way or another.

You could do this on your phone and note any side effects as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

I got dry mouth and brain zaps from cymbalta, i didnt find those symptoms bad, some do. I stopped taking it about a week ago as otherwise wouldnt have the cash to get xmas presents- that probably accounts for my recent outburst. My ptsd became quite bad a year ago and had to move back in with elderly parent. this is not working out as i get constant nagging, lectures and occasionally physical abuse.

i also have something called hypersomnia which is when you sleep too much. you know what, nothing bad ever happened to me sleeping, so i dont understand why society has decided its a bad thing. obviously it makes it difficult for me to get a job again. then i read about high level barristers dropping dead at 40 due to overwork and i think maybe i’m the smarter one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Genuinely thinking of burning myself alive as a protest against corruption. Dont have much left to lose. I have done my duty as a citizen but those responsible have failed. The bullies, scum have control of society. The law is an irrelevance to them - in fact some of them know what they can get around or ignore because they wrote it. there are people at high levels in society that are just openly corrupt. I’m talking real evil, snakes in suits, and yet their public reputation is like clean as a whistle.

I hope that's a joke post.

I won't tell what is going on in my life now but some people really think they to have it bad in life when they have a alternative and fall back for them.

When you've no fall back safe zone or friends you can't get angry about such trivial things.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I think everyone has different battles, it's easy get freaked out by the enormity of how crappy a state the world is in and worry about the roof over your head, your own health and relationships (or lack thereof) with others.. Nothing is really trivial if an anxious mind gets thinking about it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Haven't posted in a while. I've been checking in but just couldn't find the energy to post. Sorry.

It's been tough but i will fight on.

Today is my 40th birthday. And my Mother bought me a lovely gift. She waited untill midnight to give to me.

I finished talking to my ex, apparently i am selfish and only care about myself. I get €203 a week from illness benefit. I gave my Godson 5 euro for lunch for school, and when i went to my aunts months mind mass i gave my two cousins 5 euro each. Not much but they were happy.

I am angry that someone can think i am bad. I done so much all my life to help others. I raised money on FB for Pieta house for my birthday and then have someone tell me i am selfish.

I took care of my Mother all my life, even when she had a stroke i was always there.

For someone to say that to me makes me think that is not someone i need in my life.

3 times this week i have babysat a 1 year old and a 4 year old. Hard work but they make me so happy. .

One has Autism, but i can understand sign language. Because i learned myself.

For someone who calls me selfish needs to take a good look in the mirror at themselves, because i have and i know i am not a bad or selfish person.

Sorry for the rant, just needed to get it off my chest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭4Ad

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    Haven't posted in a while. I've been checking in but just couldn't find the energy to post. Sorry.

It's been tough but i will fight on.

Today is my 40th birthday. And my Mother bought me a lovely gift. She waited untill midnight to give to me.

I finished talking to my ex, apparently i am selfish and only care about myself. I get €203 a week from illness benefit. I gave my Godson 5 euro for lunch for school, and when i went to my aunts months mind mass i gave my two cousins 5 euro each. Not much but they were happy.

I am angry that someone can think i am bad. I done so much all my life to help others. I raised money on FB for Pieta house for my birthday and then have someone tell me i am selfish.

I took care of my Mother all my life, even when she had a stroke i was always there.

For someone to say that to me makes me think that is not someone i need in my life.

3 times this week i have babysat a 1 year old and a 4 year old. Hard work but they make me so happy. .

One has Autism, but i can understand sign language. Because i learned myself.

For someone who calls me selfish needs to take a good look in the mirror at themselves, because i have and i know i am not a bad or selfish person.

Sorry for the rant, just needed to get it off my chest.

Right to get it off your chest..you seem yto be ea genuiely lovely person
    Things will work out...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Slept a little better last night and on Sun night which is an improvement. Have been emailing the Samaritans back and forth, they've been kind. Doing my running where I can.

I'm still very much on an emotional wave and feeling it now. Does anyone find self-awareness a PITA? It's useful, but crap when you can't switch it off and hyper-analyse everything.

Thanks for sharing the stories above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭statto25

Today and tomorrow will be the hardest days of my life no doubt about it. I will have little time with my boy and its destroying me. I just want to go to bed and wake up on the 26th. I am so angry and sad at the same time its tiring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

statto25 wrote: »
    Today and tomorrow will be the hardest days of my life no doubt about it. I will have little time with my boy and its destroying me. I just want to go to bed and wake up on the 26th. I am so angry and sad at the same time its tiring

All you can do is hang on in there. " Time and the hour run through the roughest day" is old and valid wisdom. Look after YOU. Please.

It does not have to be like that! I gave up on all that years ago but I celebrate Christmas... out here on a small island, islandbound and all but housebound. I have not been over the water or near a shop for over a year; my groceries come in by ferry or post.

Everyone I know decided with me years ago to stop sending cards and presents and give to charity instead.

And I love Christmas for the meaning of it, And enjoy the special food traditions, the fairy lights and candles. The Carols from Kings...

These things nourish with more than food. I love them and enjoy them. Typing this by candlelight with the soft glow of tree lights. Beauty is beauty.

This year has been the best ever! No hype, none of what you hate.ie what many hate, and I feel rested and at peace, ... Oh
    yesterday a gift arrived from the Community Association here! A tub of Cadbury's Roses! They know I am unwell so did not disturb me. NB I am abed much of each day perforce.

Christmas is what we make it.

And it can be a time of deep peace. It really can .

Maybe volunteer at a Christmas meal service?

Or go away for that week? Even for a few days?

SMC92Ian wrote: »
    I ****ing hate Chrismas. It just isn't a happy time for me. I hate the forced "fun" the randomly forced family bollocks. They "oh don't be a grinch ya joyless bastard" Eh how about you leave me alone, if I don't wanna celebrate Christmas then so what, it's my life. It's not a happy time. Everyone worrying and going mad over presents and what to get, money, all rubbish. Why bother? Like I started last year and continue this year... Dec 25th and New Years are just another day.

Did we have a good Xmas day?

Indeed yes and thank you for asking... Very quiet, very peaceful and totally enjoyable and meaningful. Good food and altogether a deep and healing pleasure

Did we have a good Xmas day?[/QUOTE]

• Advertisement

Slept all day so no Xmas for me. Got up around half 10. Woke up a good few times but just couldn't be arsed getting up. Just kept wanting to pass out. Will to get up just wasn't there.

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Was invited to a friends for the Christmas but stayed in bed all day. Woke up too many missed calls and messages. Feel like wanting to burst into tears but can't. Refused to eat my mother's food because I detest what she is nowadays. A selfish alcoholic.

Have been up and pacing the house all night. Really frightened for the future with these episodes. I see all my friends so in love and settled whilst my mind is really deteriorating badly. Instead of liking their posts, I resented them for once. Feel like I am turning into a hateful spiteful figure now as I don't see the same for me. And that is not me as I love them all!! :-(

In fact over a 5 year period, I have lost all my hair and aged by about 15 years. This i blame on family stress.

I ****ing hate drink, it just ruins everything. My folks live for the drink. Can't talk to them or have any sort of conversation with my Dad as he's always drunk on his phone. May as well talk to a wall so I gave up altogether, he gets pissed at me for not talking to him but how can I when he's hammered and won't remember any of it or even listen? :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

real problem for me is the constant battle with get well getting worse. 45 bi polar and it just gets worse.

Hello all

It's been a bit quiet here, hope everyone is doing just fine

Had a somewhat OK Christmas, sad it's coming to an end. It'll be the last time I see my family for quite some time so it's been bittersweet

Hello all

It's been a bit quiet here, hope everyone is doing just fine

Had a somewhat OK Christmas, sad it's coming to an end. It'll be the last time I see my family for quite some time so it's been bittersweet

That is sad. re not seeing family

Pottering and pootling here... enjoyed my quiet and holy Christ-mass but totally exhausted.. the most peaceful and meaningful Christmas I can remember. Just …. good!

Dreadfully stifling weather out here today; winds and sideways dark deluges.. no real daylight...dark as evening.

A new year on the threshold now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Was nice to see my family over the Christmas. I am not feeling good though. My Psoriasis is so bad now. It's painfull, so painfull. I will have to go to a&e in the morning. The fear i have is so bad incase they keep me in. Fear like i have never experienced before but i know i have to go if i want to live a life that i had before.

It's got me so depressed too. Not only the physical pain but also the mental pain. I could barely play with my young nephews today when they came. Had to ask my elderly mother to open a can of sprite for me because my hands are so sore. She hasn't much power after a stroke but she done it and she want's to go with me to the hospital too.

I'm really afraid, crying now that i need to go.

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    Was nice to see my family over the Christmas. I am not feeling good though. My Psoriasis is so bad now. It's painfull, so painfull. I will have to go to a&e in the morning. The fear i have is so bad incase they keep me in. Fear like i have never experienced before but i know i have to go if i want to live a life that i had before.

It's got me so depressed too. Not only the physical pain but also the mental pain. I could barely play with my young nephews today when they came. Had to ask my elderly mother to open a can of sprite for me because my hands are so sore. She hasn't much power after a stroke but she done it and she want's to go with me to the hospital too.

I'm really afraid, crying now that i need to go.

Go to a and e surely - they might get someone from dermatology to come have a look.

I have psoriasis too but nothing is helping it. I need an injection now in the new year.

Good to hear from you it's been a while

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭candycock

Chest pain and vomiting all day, so nervous and shaking with anxiety.

candycock wrote: »
    Chest pain and vomiting all day, so nervous and shaking with anxiety.

Got anything you can take to help you relax?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭candycock

Got anything you can take to help you relax?

I only have prozac that I take once a day, I've taken it this morning but heart chest and tightness are still on going.

Advertisement