Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I can empathise, it's been a horrific few months here and i have chest pain more often than not. I am working very hard on avoiding anything that causes it to flare up like caffeine and alcohol but i am a useless sleeper which is undoing my efforts i think. Can you go to a doctor in the morning/this week?.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭candycock

I can empathise, it's been a horrific few months here and i have chest pain more often than not. I am working very hard on avoiding anything that causes it to flare up like caffeine and alcohol but i am a useless sleeper which is undoing my efforts i think. Can you go to a doctor in the morning/this week?.

I'll ring in the morning and try get an appointment my blood pressure is up through the roof aswell, such a disaster the last few days health wise, I'm sleeping on and off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Sleep still poor, mind is too active. Still on the emotional rollercoaster too. Blah. Ran 11 miles yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭M442

I was wondering why people always encourage those with depression to talk about it with those important to them? On the advice of my councillor I spoke about my depression to my mam and my sister. My mam was telling me what a great life I have and how many people have it worse then me and my sister was trying to be understanding but said 'I should be doing it more to help myself'. This just considering all the work I'd been doing to improve things. I mentioned this to my councillor who said family often don't know the right thing to say and sometimes there reaction makes things worse. So why is that the no 1 piece of advice for those with the depression? I know my family tried their best but I've been home for over a week know and neither of them have even asked me how I am. Probably not fair of my but I can't help but think they don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

M442 wrote: »
    I was wondering why people always encourage those with depression to talk about it with those important to them? On the advice of my councillor I spoke about my depression to my mam and my sister. My mam was telling me what a great life I have and how many people have it worse then me and my sister was trying to be understanding but said 'I should be doing it more to help myself'. This just considering all the work I'd been doing to improve things. I mentioned this to my councillor who said family often don't know the right thing to say and sometimes there reaction makes things worse. So why is that the no 1 piece of advice for those with the depression? I know my family tried their best but I've been home for over a week know and neither of them have even asked me how I am. Probably not fair of my but I can't help but think they don't care.

I wouldn't say they don't care, they just don't understand.
    One thing i did a while ago was printed of a sheet of paper and gave it to my family. It had many things that they should not say to a depressed person. Helped the understand a bit more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Anyone have any new years resolutions?

Mine is to get my psoriasis sorted once and for all

Go back to work (in progress)

Stop biting my nails

An early happy new year to you all. Let's make 2020 our year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭statto25

Happy New Year to all of you here. I hope 2020 is better for you all. Lord God above we all need that. Look after yourselves

Anyone have any new years resolutions?

Mine is to get my psoriasis sorted once and for all

Go back to work (in progress)

Stop biting my nails

An early happy new year to you all. Let's make 2020 our year!

Same as me mate. Get rid of Psoriasis and start looking after myself better.

And get back to work too.

I hope 2020 is goo to you all.

Athbhliain faoi mhaise daoibh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭worded

Having a dog good for meeting ppl and ppl living alone ...

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2017/dec/04/is-owning-a-dog-good-for-your-health

worded wrote: »

Dog's are great. I often sit outside with my 2 just gazing at the stars . For sure they can sense my feelings.

I've met many people out walking my dog's. It's hard for me to do at the moment with my Psoriasis so painfull.

I'm lucky i am not alone though but for anyone who is a dog would be a great companion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Can anyone recommend a GP in Galway city or county that is particularly good with patients with depression? I have been referred to a psychiatrist but it's a different one each time, they are invariably just qualified and basically, I'm being used as a guinea pig for the drug companies.

dok_golf wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a GP in Galway city or county that is particularly good with patients with depression? I have been referred to a psychiatrist but it's a different one each time, they are invariably just qualified and basically, I'm being used as a guinea pig for the drug companies.

I don't think that's a fair comment. The drug companies aren't testing their products on you. It can sometimes take a different go of different ones to find the one that works for you

I've had 24 years continuously of different medications. I think I am in the better position to know if I am being used as a guinea pig or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭Irish Praetorian

dok_golf wrote: »
    I've had 24 years continuously of different medications. I think I am in the better position to know if I am being used as a guinea pig or not.

Are you going through the state system or the private sector out of interest?

Private

I'm sleeping all day everyday. Cannot break the cycle. Nothing is appealing to me and I've zero appetite

I'm sleeping all day everyday. Cannot break the cycle. Nothing is appealing to me and I've zero appetite

I'm the opposite. I can't sleep. Got up at 7am Sunday morning and haven't slept since.
    I tried to have a nap today but just tossing and turning.

BohsCeltic wrote: »
    I'm the opposite. I can't sleep. Got up at 7am Sunday morning and haven't slept since.
    I tried to have a nap today but just tossing and turning.

Got anything that could aid you in getting to sleep?

Got anything that could aid you in getting to sleep?

Just Pirotin. Need to use to tonight anyway as
    my psoriasis is itchy.

Just Pirotin. Need to use to tonight anyway as
    my psoriasis is itchy.

Yeah antihistamines always knock me out hope it works for you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭worded

Fatigue is a very common reason ppl go to the doctor.

Have you had your bloods tested for everything?

Could you possibly have sleep apnea?

Exercise may help ....

Managed about 5 hours sleep which is normally what i am used to so good.
    Troy i get the sleeping all day and having no appetite.
    Obviously your body and mind needs fuel so probably another reason why you are tired and sleeping much.
    What helps me is even a banana or a smoothie , something easy and go from there. This morning i had a bowl of porridge and a cup of soup and toast.
    I find if i can keep this up i won't fall into the same trap like it did before and end up sleeping and not eating.

Just back from a short walk, my legs and knees feel a bit better but my heels are sore so will buy some insoles for some cushion so i can walk further.

Well i just had a terrifying experience.
    I took some water and it went down the wrong way so i took a fit of coughing, usually it passes quickly
    But this time it was different as i could not breathe at all. It felt like i was choking and i thought i was going to pass out as i felt so dizzy. I am shaking now, i really thought i was going to die.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I took some water and it went down the wrong way so i took a fit of coughing, usually it passes quickly
    But this time it was different as i could not breathe at all. It felt like i was choking and i thought i was going to pass out as i felt so dizzy. I am shaking now, i really thought i was going to die.

(HUGS) I have serious oesophageal narrowing and spasm as part of the M, E Auto immune problems and have had some terrifying similar episodes when a small piece of food got irremedially stuck .

Just breathe and sip water next time.

Graces7 wrote: »
    (HUGS) I have serious oesophageal narrowing and spasm as part of the M, E Auto immune problems and have had some terrifying similar episodes when a small piece of food got irremedially stuck .

Just breathe and sip water next time.

I've never had this before though. Literally it was like someone squeezing my chest as i gasped for air so i could cough. Frightening experience, especially when you already have anxiety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,994 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I am not a poster on here, but lurk because a close relative suffers what you all describe regularly, and I have learned a lot too.

Regarding the choking feeling of water or something gone down the wrong way (not full on choking that requires the Heimlich manoevre), PLEASE just put both arms in the air and it will pass in a minute. It really works. I hope that might help someone.

It has worked for anyone I have said it to. Worth a shot if it ever happens again.

Sounds like a classic case of going down the wrong pipe. I had awful experiences in the past of choking on steak. Wouldn't wish it on anyone!

As for me, plans are being put in place for me to return to work. I'm not sure how it will pan out. If I have another bad episode I'm just going to quit and stop wasting both our times tbh. It'll be nice to get off the illness benefit for good

I am not a poster on here, but lurk because a close relative suffers what you all describe regularly, and I have learned a lot too.

Regarding the choking feeling of water or something gone down the wrong way (not full on choking that requires the Heimlich manoevre), PLEASE just put both arms in the air and it will pass in a minute. It really works. I hope that might help someone.

It has worked for anyone I have said it to. Worth a shot if it ever happens again.

Thanks, It's just the panic and when you have anxiety it multiplies a million times.
    I wouldn't mind i am trained in first aid too.
    More relaxed now and just had a snack, of all things chilli coated peanuts, probably not the best option :D

Sounds like a classic case of going down the wrong pipe. I had awful experiences in the past of choking on steak. Wouldn't wish it on anyone!

As for me, plans are being put in place for me to return to work. I'm not sure how it will pan out. If I have another bad episode I'm just going to quit and stop wasting both our times tbh. It'll be nice to get off the illness benefit for good

No it is not a nice experience.
    Regards to to the job, do you feel you are ready to go back ?

• Advertisement

No it is not a nice experience.
    Regards to to the job, do you feel you are ready to go back ?

I think so. But it could all go títs up so we will see

I need the money anyway!

Advertisement