Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭worded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I stopped worrying re sleeping. Then I slept more.

My painkillers at night make me sleepy so that is grand. And last night with ear plugs was even grander

But old folk are notorious for being erratic sleepers
    BohsCeltic wrote: »
    Not yet but i might give it a try. I've been using sleep apps like wind and rain and they help, just last night i didn't feel tired at all for some reason.
    Will need to start exercising a lot better too as i know that will help a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Graces7 wrote: »
    I stopped worrying re sleeping. Then I slept more.

My painkillers at night make me sleepy so that is grand. And last night with ear plugs was even grander

But old folk are notorious for being erratic sleepers

I'm 40 so still fairly young i hope :D
    I think before when i wasn't out sick from work 5 or 6 hours were fine for me, then a day's work, shower, dinner and watch TV so i had a routine.

I got asleep about 3.30am last night and slept untill 11am so a good 7 1/2 hours.
    Will go for a walk later on for some excercise. The good thing is i have energy and have not had a nap during the day in a long time. I put a lot of that down to me eating 3 meals a day and some times a bit more.

My psoriasis on my hands and arms and a lot of my body has cleared up quite good too.
    Now i don't feel embarrassed to have to wear gloves going to the shop because my hands look normal again.

Interesting. The foreboding had good cause.

Slept through from soon after 10 to 4 am after sleeping earlier and feel I could conquer the world. !

Too early and dark even to go for a walk... Just me and my cats in the early chill ..

Oh GEE! I am nearly twice your age! Literally!

Living with a state of impending doom and foreboding. Not been like this for a long time...maybe lack of sleep with the dog situation...Sleeping at last; dratted barking last night again but I had earplugs.

We shall see tonight. ie very soon as I crash early.

, Lovely out; just brought my 2 weeks shopping in.

Has anyone any experiences with Citalopram? I've just been prescribed them and wondering if anyone has good or bad things to say about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

Kind of an pdd question, but how many have been told to use anger as a motivator? A few of my female students have mentioned this in regards to their psychology, and I was curious.

Has anyone any experiences with Citalopram? I've just been prescribed them and wondering if anyone has good or bad things to say about it.

I tried it but didn't find it worked for me so i was switched to Sertraline. My first med was prozac but it did not agree with me at all and ihad side effects.
    Kind of an pdd question, but how many have been told to use anger as a motivator? A few of my female students have mentioned this in regards to their psychology, and I was curious.

In my opinion it's a big no from me. In circumstances like exercising and trying to push yourself then maybe yes but overall i find it would have a more negative effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,902 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Sounds an odd approach. If it were successful, you may strive to feel angry about something in order to motivate yourself further.

Any conversations I ever had in therapy in relation to anger were limited to trying to understand it, and get past it.

They mean controlled anger as in righteous /rightful indignation? I can understand that as it is a great energiser when rightly channelled. As opposed to sheer blind rage.

eg when I see or hear re animal abuse I get very angry, but rather than explode I deal with the situation. eg feeding the latest stray cat who was starved and neglected by a neighbour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Lonesomerhodes

a fella recently said to me giving up meat has really helped his depression and anxiety.

Anyone any experience of this?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

a fella recently said to me giving up meat has really helped his depression and anxiety.

I was told the opposite by a psychiatrist!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Lonesomerhodes

2 people have said it to me.

Neither were veggies before and now are as they said it has helped them alot.

Food for thought!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,827 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

No experience, but I probably should try it, I'd imagine my food intake is causing issues with my mental health. I'd say there's no harm in trying, think I'd struggle with it, some vegetarian food is really nice though

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Doubts1111

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    No experience, but I probably should try it, I'd imagine my food intake is causing issues with my mental health. I'd say there's no harm in trying, think I'd struggle with it, some vegetarian food is really nice though

Hey. Unless there’s another reason, I wouldn’t be giving up meat. Chicken or turkey is healthy and tasty, and it might be landing some extra stress on you trying to replace everything without those tasty guys!

Hope everybody is well. Sun is shining here, but, man, am I getting some panic attacks. Had a bit of a meltdown recently, and made some steps to get things sorted, including having an appointment to speak to a therapist next week, but I just want to put this week to bed. Lots going on in work and I am literally deep breathing in the bathroom to stop from crying before different meetings. I don’t know what panics me so much about some of these, but my throat closes up, and I’m shaking like a crazy leaf.

I got a prescription for calming drugs - Valium-related - but I’m fairly unsure about taking them as I don’t know what the effect will be for me.

Ahhhh - the joys. Had some similar anxiety stuff years ago, and prayed never to get back here again, but here I am! It sucks.

Doubts1111 wrote: »

I got a prescription for calming drugs - Valium-related - but I’m fairly unsure about taking them as I don’t know what the effect will be for me.

Could you try taking them at home first and see how they make you feel. Better being in a safe environment if they make you drowsy or fog your brain.

Probably partly because they are now paying great attention to their diet and eating carefully? I eat very little meat , never beef or lamb for many years , and am happy this way. Love critters !

meat is not essential or even healthy and it takes a lot of digesting and absorbing. I feel better without it.
    2 people have said it to me.

Neither were veggies before and now are as they said it has helped them alot.

Food for thought!.

Probably partly because they are now paying great attention to their diet and eating carefully? I eat very little meat , never beef or lamb for many years , and am happy this way. Love critters !

meat is not essential or even healthy and it takes a lot of digesting and absorbing. I feel better without it.

I had chicken and beef today, I don't think i could go without some meat for the likes of dinner.
    Breakfast and lunch no problem but dinner i always have some meat. But with that is always fresh vegetables too. I love my greens, especially green beans and sprouts.

It is easy enough. I raised a pet lamb some years ago.... and have lived long with cows looking over the fence... And hate the utter cruelty of slaughter practices with a fierce hatred. Inexcusable.

Cats are "obligate carnivores" so my six get raw chicken and cat food. We are not so I rarely if ever share. Almost never in truth now and I honestly prefer this way and do not miss meat one iota.

Could nto force myself to eat meat now. We are adaptable

It is an easy enough adjustment to make as I eat cheese etc. No problem. iti s protein you need to provide after all. Fish is exorbitant

And on a very low income cost is a real factor. I could not afford meat

Vegan is a different kettle of... er. not fish!

You can do t gradually. I honestly feel better for it.
    I had chicken and beef today, I don't think i could go without some meat for the likes of dinner.
    Breakfast and lunch no problem but dinner i always have some meat. But with that is always fresh vegetables too. I love my greens, especially green beans and sprouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭worded

Nutrition can help

Ted talk

https://youtu.be/3dqXHHCc5lA

Was chatting to someone about this last night and apparently the connection between eating meat and depression is well documented.

• Advertisement

Was chatting to someone about this last night and apparently the connection between eating meat and depression is well documented.

I've read conflicting reports on this and quite a lot say vegetarians are more likely to suffer from depression.
    I think i would be more depressed if i didn't eat meat.

I've just had a lovely roast dinner followed by warm apple tart, ice cream and chocolate and my mood is really good.

I'm glad i got a nice walk earlier with the dogs as i cannot move now lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

The 75mg Venlafaxine stopped working for me, GP upped the dose to 150 which I started on Saturday. The side effects started all over again. Nauseous and dull in the head.

My GP looked me in the eye and told me I will get better. I'm just not feeling it yet.

I'm alone in bed, crying my eyes out. I'm so sick of this. I believe my doctor but it's so fcuking hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Skybirdjb

BuboBubo wrote: »
    The 75mg Venlafaxine stopped working for me, GP upped the dose to 150 which I started on Saturday. The side effects started all over again. Nauseous and dull in the head.

My GP looked me in the eye and told me I will get better. I'm just not feeling it yet.

I'm alone in bed, crying my eyes out. I'm so sick of this. I believe my doctor but it's so fcuking hard.

Hi
    You can do this your strong remember this . We are all here for you . Never feel alone when we are all here . I feel alone a lot of the time so I can sympathise with you . It’s not an easy road by any means I know that but you are on the road and on your way

BuboBubo wrote: »

You're on the road to getting your life back - don't cry be joyful this suffering will soon be over. Stay strong and get through the next few weeks, giving the medicine time to take effect. Pm me anytime. Best wishes to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Loopylineking

f

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Hey all. How is everyone? Brexit has finally happened! 2020 is 8% through already!

Think I'm gonna go back to counselling. Except it's not gonna be counselling, not really. Cos me old brain ain't gonna change no matter what. Just someone to talk to really. Vent. Someone new this time. Just a counsellor I chose at random myself. One of the last ones I didn't have much choice in as that was the CIPC, which I threw in fairly quickly. The other was a recommendation, which I went once and once only.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

It's finally February, I'm still utterly skint but the first month is done and that feels like an accomplishment considering the muckstorm myself and my partner have been going through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,902 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

jaxxx wrote: »
    Hey all. How is everyone? Brexit has finally happened! 2020 is 8% through already!

Think I'm gonna go back to counselling. Except it's not gonna be counselling, not really. Cos me old brain ain't gonna change no matter what. Just someone to talk to really. Vent. Someone new this time. Just a counsellor I chose at random myself. One of the last ones I didn't have much choice in as that was the CIPC, which I threw in fairly quickly. The other was a recommendation, which I went once and once only.

Try to go with an open mind that this can help you. There are no quick fixes, it can take several sessions in counselling to start to see route causes of discomfort or upset.

The therapist doesn't have simple answers or instructions to give you. A good one has the tools to help you get to a point where you see something which makes sense to you and allows you to move forward.

I'm doing ok so to speak. I was out with my friend yesterday and he said i looked good. Had a nice chat. My Psoriasis is ok on most of my body but my hands and feet are so sore. It was getting me down but i know i have to live with it, but obviously stress just makes it worse but its hard not to worry.
    Money matters are not helping too. Still fighting insurance which just adds more stress.

My 3 Nephews are staying tonight so i'm happy for that.

It's just this whole insurance thing which is really annoying me. Some person sitting at a desk just saying no. Maybe they should spend a day with me and see how i am not only dealing with anxiety and depression but also severe and painfull Psoriasis.

I have been documenting everything and have pictures too. It's hard to document depression by pictures but very easy to document depression which resulted in me developing psoriasis which was first said to me by my GP.

The whole point of my insurance was to get me mended and ready to go back to work, but it was the opposite and they have failed in their policy terms which resulted in me developing an additional problem.

The fight and struggle goes on but i won't give up.

• Advertisement

I'm doing ok so to speak. I was out with my friend yesterday and he said i looked good. Had a nice chat. My Psoriasis is ok on most of my body but my hands and feet are so sore. It was getting me down but i know i have to live with it, but obviously stress just makes it worse but its hard not to worry.
    Money matters are not helping too. Still fighting insurance which just adds more stress.

My 3 Nephews are staying tonight so i'm happy for that.

It's just this whole insurance thing which is really annoying me. Some person sitting at a desk just saying no. Maybe they should spend a day with me and see how i am not only dealing with anxiety and depression but also severe and painfull Psoriasis.

I have been documenting everything and have pictures too. It's hard to document depression by pictures but very easy to document depression which resulted in me developing psoriasis which was first said to me by my GP.

The whole point of my insurance was to get me mended and ready to go back to work, but it was the opposite and they have failed in their policy terms which resulted in me developing an additional problem.

The fight and struggle goes on but i won't give up.

Give them hell

Advertisement