Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Graces7 wrote: »
    For me. the down moods are caused by the M.E. Real nonetheless but my life changed when I understood that.

A hard week or two; weather related out here.

One of my faith family reads widely on all these matters. She knows thus more re M.E, than anyone I know. Her latest research shows that the hypersomnia is not simply seasonal SAD but the M,E. Which is why it can strike at any season. Awareness is power. It helps.

Punch drunk with lack of sleep now which comes hard when the illness is yelling SLEEP. Storm after storm out here.

Wearing ear plugs at night.

stay safe all...

And you too-tho it's sort of passed around here. I think it might be worse for coastal areas.
    Well, in a bad spell of anxiety at the moment. I think it blends with the depression and I feel like that negativity and over thinking absurd anxiety is absurd.

The helpful thing is to write stuff down, and either rip up the paper, or burn it. IT feels cathartic.
    And can help out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

And you too-tho it's sort of passed around here. I think it might be worse for coastal areas.

It may have caught up with thee by now as it is travelling fast with huge hailstones... like marbles.. pics on the weather forum thread

Planning to close down with high strength ear plugs soon as am in serious sensory overload. Another loud night ahead too..

"This too shall pass."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

A time shall come when the world will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will say: "You are mad, for you are not like us".
    - some dead fella from a long long time ago

Honestly how I feel about the world today, and my struggle to find my place in it. All basic sense and reason have been abandoned for utter madness. Insanity has become the accepted guise of sanity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭worded

This is so so relaxing

Pls ppl have a look at it

jaxxx wrote: »
    A time shall come when the world will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will say: "You are mad, for you are not like us".
    - some dead fella from a long long time ago

Honestly how I feel about the world today, and my struggle to find my place in it. All basic sense and reason have been abandoned for utter madness. Insanity has become the accepted guise of sanity.

Up to you how YOU live and YOU are the only person who can choose . That is your place in it. Living how you choose. I have almost no contact with the world outside my home so I am baffled by what you write? I do what I can to support my extended family who work with the very needy, care for my rescued critters, live a simple, honest life . what more is there ? Your only responsibility is how YOU live. Eyes on your own page time.

Ignore ancient depressed "cleverclogs"!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,827 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I'm really really struggling folks, I've started counselling again, life is so hard

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Skybirdjb

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I'm really really struggling folks, I've started counselling again, life is so hard

Aw so hard wanderer we are all here for u anytime u need virtual hugs your way and well done on starting counselling again

(((HUGS)))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,902 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Glad to hear you have an appointment made. Next few weeks should see evenings lengthen, weather improve, daffodils start to bloom etc, all things that can help to life the spirit.

Are you going to the same counselor or a new one to who you have used previously?

Are you going to the same counselor or a new one to who you have used previously?

A chap I've been to before, my first time doing cbt, so should be interesting. I'm lucky enough to have access to a psychotherapist as well, was chatting to him earlier, so feeling a lot better now. Thanks folks for your support, had a very difficult night and morning this morning

• Advertisement

A chap I've been to before, my first time doing cbt, so should be interesting. I'm lucky enough to have access to a psychotherapist as well, was chatting to him earlier, so feeling a lot better now. Thanks folks for your support, had a very difficult night and morning this morning

Glad to hear you have good access to professional support.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Skybirdjb

I have had great success with cbt really really helped me .

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Some Yoke

I am wondering does anyone have experience using anti depressants long term. I ve been on them (effexor) for most of the last 10 years, my life is much better on them and I am much more functional day to day however I do find the detached feeling difficult for dating/relationships and haven't much interest in that side of things, and sometimes I noticed my memory isn't as sharp or I can't think clearly making mistakes and not understanding things that I normally can.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Some Yoke wrote: »
    I am wondering does anyone have experience using anti depressants long term. I ve been on them (effexor) for most of the last 10 years, my life is much better on them and I am much more functional day to day however I do find the detached feeling difficult for dating/relationships and haven't much interest in that side of things, and sometimes I noticed my memory isn't as sharp or I can't think clearly making mistakes and not understanding things that I normally can.

Been on Venlafaxine (effexor) for a year now, and felt much more detached before starting them. Wouldn't worry about the dating thing, if you're not interested in that there's nothing wrong with being single.

My head is definitely "fuzzier" now, but my sharp sense of humour is making a return now after an absence of 5 years.

Mention this to your GP though, perhaps a different med would suit you better.

Best of luck.

I'm feeling very shaky today, it's gonna be a tough day

I'm feeling very shaky today, it's gonna be a tough day

Take it half an hour at a time? I used to do that and it helped. Nearly 9 30 now; think only as far as 10 am? Have a cup of whatever you fancy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭statto25

I'm back here again... I had some great weeks where I was in a good place but I'll be honest the celebrity news from last weekend brought it all back into my mind. I see lots of narrative around Caroline Flacks alledged assault and people saying if she hadnt assaulted someone maybe she wouldn't have been suicidal. It brought back into focus something my mother said when I told her how suicidal I was "If you weren't choosing to hurt maybe you wouldn't be suicidal" It broke me as the reason I am so low is because of the scorn my family have placed on me. I reach an acceptance that I'll never have my family the same way again and now I just keep going over it all day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Anxiety sky high this past few days. Really struggling. Had been doing so well recently. That horrible feeling in the stomach. Sleep not happening. Constantly on edge. Christ its unbearable

• Registered Users Posts: 18 An Old Grey Mare

Can anyone recommend a good pscyiatrist in Dublin or Cork? Reasonable? Any I find are so expensive

Can anyone recommend a good pscyiatrist in Dublin or Cork? Reasonable? Any I find are so expensive

Good is very subjective and will cost you x amount to visit someone to find out.
    Unfortunately, psychiatry is generally expensive.
    Could your GP help you select someone?

Also, are you sure it is a psychiatrist who is most appropriate for you to work with? Have you considered psychotherapists? They would not cost so much per session.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭creditcarder

Fdr1983 wrote: »
    Anxiety sky high this past few days. Really struggling. Had been doing so well recently. That horrible feeling in the stomach. Sleep not happening. Constantly on edge. Christ its unbearable

Man, anxieties rough. How's the life going? Do you have anythign to keep yourself busy? I find that when I have something real to be anxious about I can distract myself from my onw absurdities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Man, anxieties rough. How's the life going? Do you have anythign to keep yourself busy? I find that when I have something real to be anxious about I can distract myself from my onw absurdities.

Usually I'm quite good, work and family keeps me busy. Recently though I can't seem to concentrate long enough at work, and I'm usually exhausted and wye irratible for anything else. Which obviously affects family life.

I probably need to get more doing more physical activity

Nights and mornings are slowly becoming worse, this is concerning to say the least

statto25 wrote: »
    I'm back here again... I had some great weeks where I was in a good place but I'll be honest the celebrity news from last weekend brought it all back into my mind. I see lots of narrative around Caroline Flacks alledged assault and people saying if she hadnt assaulted someone maybe she wouldn't have been suicidal. It brought back into focus something my mother said when I told her how suicidal I was "If you weren't choosing to hurt maybe you wouldn't be suicidal" It broke me as the reason I am so low is because of the scorn my family have placed on me. I reach an acceptance that I'll never have my family the same way again and now I just keep going over it all day

Takes time and seems as if you are repeating the same battles over and over again; bu tin fact each time acceptance in you is stronger and fuller and one day you will suddenly realise you are free

I was scorned and ridiculed and rejected for decades as being wilfully ill. Ie mentally ill. There are hard memories; like when my mother put a letter before me, that was an excellent and well earned reference from the vicar ( I taught Sunday School etc) and asked " What happened to this then? " with such scorn.
    She was hurting too. scared.
    She is long dead and it was many years before my real diagnosis of M.E emerged so she never knew.
    people do not understand and need to blame for their own peace of mind and they are usually scared. Old saying re FEAR; false evidence appearing real.

Just know yourself and let others here support you?

I am old now and at peace about it all; living my life as I seek to. There still come terrible hurts but I have my deep faith and know how to come back to my place of peace, as you will also

Blessings and peace.

Nights and mornings are slowly becoming worse, this is concerning to say the least

I think normal … there is a rhythm for each of us in our illnesses and we tend ot analyse too much? I collapse early in the day so just go to bed then! Had to leave the kitchen floo r partly cleaned y;day..It is often physical . Else find a simple occupation that takes your attention outwards.

Like arguing here! Or a youtube subject; researching lighthouses all last week had me rapt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭statto25

Graces7 wrote: »
    Takes time and seems as if you are repeating the same battles over and over again; bu tin fact each time acceptance in you is stronger and fuller and one day you will suddenly realise you are free

I was scorned and ridiculed and rejected for decades as being wilfully ill. Ie mentally ill. There are hard memories; like when my mother put a letter before me, that was an excellent and well earned reference from the vicar ( I taught Sunday School etc) and asked " What happened to this then? " with such scorn.
    She was hurting too. scared.
    She is long dead and it was many years before my real diagnosis of M.E emerged so she never knew.
    people do not understand and need to blame for their own peace of mind and they are usually scared. Old saying re FEAR; false evidence appearing real.

Just know yourself and let others here support you?

I am old now and at peace about it all; living my life as I seek to. There still come terrible hurts but I have my deep faith and know how to come back to my place of peace, as you will also

Blessings and peace.

Thank you Grace. I think my issue is trying to prove myself rather than trying to rebuild a relationship with my family. In reality I dont want anything to do with them but want to show my torment. Its also a bitter pill to be told Ive isolated myself and turned my back on them. I had to get away or I honestly know I wouldnt be typing this now. It was flight or die in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 An Old Grey Mare

Good is very subjective and will cost you x amount to visit someone to find out.
    Unfortunately, psychiatry is generally expensive.
    Could your GP help you select someone?

Also, are you sure it is a psychiatrist who is most appropriate for you to work with? Have you considered psychotherapists? They would not cost so much per session.

Hey I am seeing a psychotherapist but need to get a diagnosis and unfortunately the public one i am going to wont bother her behind giving me one.

statto25 wrote: »
    Thank you Grace. I think my issue is trying to prove myself rather than trying to rebuild a relationship with my family. In reality I dont want anything to do with them but want to show my torment. Its also a bitter pill to be told Ive isolated myself and turned my back on them. I had to get away or I honestly know I wouldnt be typing this now. It was flight or die in my eyes.

(((HUGS))) They do not understand and maybe that is a good thing as the only way to understand these things is to go through them and I would not wish that on anyone; would you? No!

And stand away rather than try to show them anything? For your own peace. Yes you did right to get away. I did the same with my mother.

Just live the separation and take time to heal. It is you who matter now. Spring is around the corner then summer..

Blessings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

I have a theory.. .. .. I just may be immortal. Because despite the amount of actual "garbage" (for want of a much MUCH more crude word that may possibly rhyme with wit) I shove down my throat, I do not suffer any ill effects despite my best efforts.. .. .. Maybe I should give this vegan thing a try and see if some sort of reverse-psychology type thing happens.

Needless to say.. .. .. today was a bad day. Think I may need to go back to the doc and up me meds dosage. And quite frankly, I'd rather punch myself like.. well this:

tenor.gif?itemid=5103837

• Advertisement

I'm extremely lonely and sad

Advertisement