Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,827 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I'm having an incredibly tough night with anxiety, sweating, breathing badly, trembling, pins and needles etc. Just needed to say it somewhere.

I'm sorry to hear that, I'm struggling at night myself, a little low now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I'm sorry to hear that, I'm struggling at night myself, a little low now

I guess night can be a place for thought, often bad.

I guess night can be a place for thought, often bad.

I'm struggling with mornings to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Sometimes beating the crap out of a pillow can help-even if you end up using a stick or whatever to beat that pillow like it you're in the olympics, and the only thing standing between you and a gold medal is that pillow.

That or writing stuff down, and then tearing up the paper into tiny little pieces.
    It can feel cathartic.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Sorry to hear that, it's just a terribly wearing experience, I hope you find some moments of peace during your day.

• Advertisement

Sorry to hear that, it's just a terribly wearing experience, I hope you find some moments of peace during your day.

Yea I'm up and down at the moment, but can be okay during the day

I'm very shaky today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭worded

I’ve found moving to Tea and giving up coffee (I was a moderate drinker) had a huge + effect on my exhaustion levels and moods

Pls consider staying off coffee for a week or substituting for Tea for a week to see

Thanks

worded wrote:
    I’ve found moving to Tea and giving up coffee (I was a moderate drinker) had a huge + effect on my exhaustion levels and moods

Personally don't like caffeine at all, as it can cause anxiety issues, herbal teas for me

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭didntgotoplan

Hi, it's my first time posting here but I feel anxious, upset and a little lost. I'm in my 30s and approx 2 years ago I was diagnosed with a disease that has many side effects including anxiety. Anxiety has changed me, I used to be a happy positive person to one that can't be bothered doing things who generally feels down in the dumps most times.

I've been attempting to deal with my anxious feelings through my regular life but since November, a person I work with is now leading me to seek help. It's leading me to emotionally eat, have odd sleeping patterns and being overly emotional at most times. God I even cry on the bus home after work most days! I have applied for help through the turn2me website and I'm just waiting to hear back after completing surveys and goals a few weeks ago as I can't afford counselling at the moment.

The main issue is with one work colleague who started in November who my mind believes she is out to get me as there is things that come up in work where this person always indicates that I'm at fault and I honestly don't trust her. I also find her very negative and find it hard to try to be positive with her. Sometimes I think she is a bit of a bully but I don't like to see the worse in people and I worry I'm caucusing her to act this way. I admit there are things I mess up and admit that I could handle it differently as I get very panicked and defensive when working with this person that it causes me to make mistakes. When I don't work with her, I get on well but when I work with her (which is most of the time), I over analysis everything that I'm not focused on my job at all.

I've let management know about how I'm feeling and I have tried asking to be moved away from this person but they are struggling to find someone to take over. Work have suggested taking time off for my mental health through my doctor as I could work on looking after myself, but honestly part of me doesn't see why I have to take time off to get them to do something and part of me wonders if I could even afford to take time off.

In the last two months I have been taking time off to get away from this person as well as feeling so sick that my body is ill thinking of working with this person, so I end up calling in sick when I'm scheduled with her but I'm broke from this and it won't last.

I have thought about looking for a new job but my disease results in a lot of medical appointments and a surgery in a few months where I will be off for some time and it has lead me to feel that I'd less likely to be employed or to keep a permanent job.

I feel better writing this but I also feel like I want to bury my head in the sand.

• Advertisement

Wow, weekend loneliness is intense

Hi, it's my first time posting here but I feel anxious, upset and a little lost. I'm in my 30s and approx 2 years ago I was diagnosed with a disease that has many side effects including anxiety. Anxiety has changed me, I used to be a happy positive person to one that can't be bothered doing things who generally feels down in the dumps most times.

I feel better writing this but I also feel like I want to bury my head in the sand.

Hey, welcome to the thread, sorry to hear things are so hard at the moment, anxiety can be pretty all consuming, i'm glad posting here helped somewhat, i'm usually around a good bit.

Wow, weekend loneliness is intense

I mostly work weekends and even that doesn't change that empty feeling :( Here for chat/rant/vent etc.

I mostly work weekends and even that doesn't change that empty feeling Here for chat/rant/vent etc.

Just very sad and lonely

Just very sad and lonely

The combination of winter and repeated bad weather has me flattened, spending so much time in bed ruminating and worrying

The combination of winter and repeated bad weather has me flattened, spending so much time in bed ruminating and worrying

Me to, it's extremely painful

Me to, it's extremely painful

I get that feeling sometimes, when i'm awake in the middle of the night that there's no one else, like a silent apocalypse has happened and that's it, just me and the room i'm in.. It's weird and frightening

I get that feeling sometimes, when i'm awake in the middle of the night that there's no one else, like a silent apocalypse has happened and that's it, just me and the room i'm in.. It's weird and frightening

I'm very depressed right now

I'm very depressed right now

I'm here if you want to rant or type anything out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I think everyone's been left properly screwed up by this weather. Whether its power cuts, or phone issues. This weather is just wrecking everyone's brains.

Honestly been so messed up.. it's annoying when you can't just, externalise it or verbalise it.
    Just, sometimes, you feel like absolute crap... and there's to nothing you can really do, and nothing anyone can say, to make one feel better.

I haven't been drinking like crazy, but I have found, some nights, I've felt the need for a stiff drink to help me get to sleep. I don't like it, and I hope as the storms die off, I don't drink as much.

Missed a call on Wednesday-been got a few calls from my phone provider trying to 'sell me deals'.. they've been bugging my mom and brother too.
    So now I have to leave a message tomorrow, give my apologies, and an explanation too.

Others have mentioned ruminating... yeah, that's sort of coming with the inactivity that this storm is creating. I know it's definitely screwing with my mind.

• Advertisement

I'm here if you want to rant or type anything out.

Thank you, buy I find it difficult to communicate when depressed

Why is nighttime so painful

Why is nighttime so painful

It just seems an inherently darker and lonelier time i think. I'd be at work imagining picture perfect scenes of families around dinner tables or friends in front of the telly. I self isolate a lot too so i try to combat that once every so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭didntgotoplan

It helped to write here. To let all of it out. It gave me the push to let my sister know about how I'm feeling lately.

Oh i'm glad you were able to talk to someone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭SMC92Ian

I don't know if we're allowed share link but I think everyone needs to listen to this guys podcast, Michael Rosenbaum from Smallville, when I'm alone during the night I put on one and it's just relaxing, they're famous people but talk like us normal folks about depression, anxiety, real topics.

Inside of You

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

What's the best way to go about finding a new counsellor/therapist? I've been oooing and aawing over this for weeks now, still not done anything about it. It's just really for someone to open up to, vent the steam that's built up inside. I've been Googling and Googling forever, they all seem like much of a muchness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I know this isnt really thread specific, so apologies. Does anyone else struggle with PTSD? Particularly the more subtle, insidious effects that don't reveal themselves to you til you feel the consequences? I truly believe that's what's at the bottom of my latest bout of low mood and lack motivation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

jaxxx wrote: »
    What's the best way to go about finding a new counsellor/therapist? I've been oooing and aawing over this for weeks now, still not done anything about it. It's just really for someone to open up to, vent the steam that's built up inside. I've been Googling and Googling forever, they all seem like much of a muchness.

Could you try phoning a few and chatting to them about what approach they take?

• Advertisement

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Could you try phoning a few and chatting to them about what approach they take?

Agreed, i called a few and asked to meet to see if there was any rapport as it's a relationship requiring trust.

Advertisement