Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,122 ✭✭✭✭josip

Graces7 wrote: »
    Well done and to all who are coping so well out there. Ill abed here but have excellent supply lines. Stay well

Not here much at all; too much virus talk in almost every thread.

Apologies for replying in Thread; I'd like to send you a PM Graces but your Inbox is full.
    The Mods have said that if you ask them, they'll be able to help out with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

I'm actually finding that my anxiety spiking has brought up past issues, and when I was in CBT and counselling years ago I just wasn't in the frame of mind to deal with them. The irony being I really would like to go back to the counsellor I saw in college but I'm not a student anymore so that rules that out... and then we're practically in lockdown so can't go anywhere at all.

I've never had to pick a therapist before, they've all just been assigned to me. I don't get how I would go about picking one. What if I don't get on with them? Could change, but what if I don't click there either? Could cost a fortune for no benefit. And because of the risk, I probably won't try anyone at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

You could ask your gp, based on their patient recommendations and the specific issues you are dealing with. It also always advised to ring and have a chat with a potential therapist to get a feel for whether their approach suits or if you can build a rapport.

And what is it with past issues raising their ugly heads when we have plenty current issues to be going on with? Glad it's not just me, at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,901 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I'm actually finding that my anxiety spiking has brought up past issues, and when I was in CBT and counselling years ago I just wasn't in the frame of mind to deal with them. The irony being I really would like to go back to the counsellor I saw in college but I'm not a student anymore so that rules that out... and then we're practically in lockdown so can't go anywhere at all.

I've never had to pick a therapist before, they've all just been assigned to me. I don't get how I would go about picking one. What if I don't get on with them? Could change, but what if I don't click there either? Could cost a fortune for no benefit. And because of the risk, I probably won't try anyone at all

The counselor which you saw in college may see patients privately.
    Alternatively, they may be able to recommend someone who they think would work well with you.

Also, your GP should be a good person to get recommendations from.

Two final points.
    As you suggested, it is a challenge to find someone who you connect with but it is worth the effort.
    Also, the Covid-19 is both raising anxiety levels for people and also make is hard to get care so try to tell yourself that, when this is over, you are going to go about finding a new therapist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Managed to pick up a virus (chest cold and bad cough) over the last few days. Literally kept me in bed yesterday (Saturday). The cough was the worst part.
    (And no-I don't have Coronavirus. Literally went thru the checklist... doesn't help my OCD brain any tho).

It's made me anxiety spike a bit-especially contamination fears.

I hate how it drains my productivity.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Off for the next few days, rest today. Try and have a sort of routine from tomorrow.. I get very tetchy very quickly, the mood swings are more severe and vicious.
    Mind yourselves one and all. Don't be afraid to ask for help from your doctor or whoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,827 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Today was a really hard and upsetting day

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Wanderer I'm sorry bout that, hopefully a few hours rest for you now. I'm up late stuck in a worse than mediocre thing on netflix but better than thinking..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Today was a really hard and upsetting day

For me too, you're not alone

• Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭jams100

For me too, you're not alone

Any particular reason? The lockdown? I'm personally finding it quite depressing, luckily I have a bit of college work to keep my mind occupied for part of the day but still. Normally if I'm feeling a bit stressed I'd meet up with a friend or play football twice a week etc.

Still this lockdown stuff wont last forever and evenings are getting longer :)

• Advertisement

jams100 wrote: »
    Any particular reason? The lockdown? I'm personally finding it quite depressing, luckily I have a bit of college work to keep my mind occupied for part of the day but still. Normally if I'm feeling a bit stressed I'd meet up with a friend or play football twice a week etc.

Just reading through the thread here, some very good points, the whole covid-19 thing is hard to get away from wherever you go, most of it bad news, just remember there is some good news too just we never really hear about it. Good to see I'm not the only one feeling anxious rn hopefully things will improve soon. Saw a nice post the other week that the letters in depression rearranged = I pressed on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭One More Toy

jams100 wrote: »

Yeah the whole state of the world tbh

Yeah the whole state of the world tbh

Yea it's a bit ****ty rn but it will get better. Might try get out for a walk and a jog tomorrow to try clear the head myself, being in the house all the time isn't good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

I'm not good. Haven't heard back from welfare about my claim. Left with 4 euros to my name. Putting pressure on my Brother who is on the front line working in the HSE who is helping me. But this can't go on. It's making me feel so down that i have to ask for help.

It's just like bombs hitting me all the time. And of course just causes more anxiety. I have to borrow to pay for my medication too. How fecked up is this world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭lucalux

Just reposting this here from the covid19 mental health thread..

Anyone who'd like a month's free Calm app membership can PM me, i get a few gift memberships every month that don't get used much.

Meditation, sleep stories by actors/writers etc, and positive type stuff to be focusing on.

Calm.com has some resources on it's blog too, including some nice mindfulness journals to print off and muddle through

https://blog.calm.com/mindfulness-resources

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Hi all I started the antidepressant Citalopram last week but shamefully gave up after just one day as I got no sleep on it (took it at 11am) and in general thought "Am I really ready to give my life over to a tablet and maybe have some permanent or semi permanent side effects?" Probably a silly way of thinking but there you go. Anyway a whole week later and I still feel awful after just ONE 10mg tablet - super depressed and no motivation, and up until yesterday I thought I had the Corona as had this bad cough and feeling sick etc. Just wondering if anyone has experience with giving it up and how long it takes to get out of your system and did I do the wrong thing? If I'd stuck it out for the week could I be on the uphill now or would I be feeling just as crap as I am now? I feel bad enough anyway but at least I can function somewhat. But the past week has been just a total waste!

It's scary and hard to start meds, especially because there is such a wait to see if its right for you and the right dosage.. You really need to have a chat with your doc.
    It's an extra stressful time in the world too, doesn't help with mental health one iota..

Night time is painfully lonely and sad

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

Night time is painfully lonely and sad

How come?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

If there is a hell (well, there isn't, but on the very small chance [0.00000000000001%] that I'm wrong and there is a hell), then I've secured my place some time ago. Even now I'm wishing I was one of those people self isolating instead of being stuck at work. God (well there isn.. .. .. let's not go down that rpad) I hate me sometimes most of the time pretty much all the time.

• Advertisement

Really getting frustrated with this virus I have. It's making it harder to understand what is caused by the virus and what is caused by my own mental 'woes', for want of a better word.

Lots of sweating, lots of feeling drained. My stomach is sensitive to what I eat, too.

fr336 wrote:
    How come?

Just not in a great place at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭kalkat2002

fr336 wrote: »
    Hi all I started the antidepressant Citalopram last week but shamefully gave up after just one day as I got no sleep on it (took it at 11am) and in general thought "Am I really ready to give my life over to a tablet and maybe have some permanent or semi permanent side effects?" Probably a silly way of thinking but there you go. Anyway a whole week later and I still feel awful after just ONE 10mg tablet - super depressed and no motivation, and up until yesterday I thought I had the Corona as had this bad cough and feeling sick etc. Just wondering if anyone has experience with giving it up and how long it takes to get out of your system and did I do the wrong thing? If I'd stuck it out for the week could I be on the uphill now or would I be feeling just as crap as I am now? I feel bad enough anyway but at least I can function somewhat. But the past week has been just a total waste!

Antidepressant usually rockbottom you the first weeks (2or3) and then you start to feel better...
    But every person and antidepressant is different so is kinda trial/error and always gp supervised

They are hard drugs and imo to be used when you are unable to have a minimun quality life or even energy to start a recovery process

Is not a nice period the starting but mandatory

Keep strong

Still crying myself to sleep, this is hard

Is there a specific thing at the moment (besides the lockdown) that's causing this?

Is there a specific thing at the moment (besides the lockdown) that's causing this?

broken heart unfortunately, im not too bother by the virus and the lockdown to be honest, im fairly busy during the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭LilacNails

I cried myself to sleep last night haven't done so in a while, but it was coming on. I too have had some heart break and am desperately wanting their attention and company ATM.

Wish I had the words of comfort but I thought I'd let u know ur not the only one this upset x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

Hi all,

Hope you're doing ok. A heads-up for anyone who may be interested, a research study is ongoing about benzodiazepines and Z-drugs looking for people who may want to talk about their experiences in a short interview. Thread here and details below.
    tomlynch26 wrote: »
    Would you be able to help with a research study in RCSI School of Pharmacy and Biomolecular Sciences, by taking part in a short interview?

If you live in Ireland, have at some stage in your life taken a benzodiazepine or Z-drug and would be willing to talk about your experiences, please get in touch.

Email: tomlynch@rcsi.ie
    Mobile: 0833460722

EFPBgk0XoAAohEy?format=jpg&name=large

It's hard not to feel guilty about depression and anxiety issues with everything that is going on, i'm definitely kicking and giving out to myself lately.. I've also started getting stressed about when the travel and work restrictions finish, will i be able to cope with the flood of people and traffic? Then of course i've no appointments with psychologist either because of the same restrictions, finding it difficult not to be confused, overwhelmed and guilty about feeling that way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Poor sleep, stressed in general. Anxious and now work (from home) is starting to get busier. Outside of routine I'm very bad at procrastinating. Seeing my psychologist next week. Things are bit a frayed. I'm still exercising, within the 2km limit. Definitely some cabin fever and negative thoughts can spiral from there. Didn't even leave the house on Mon, but did some yoga from Youtube.

Advertisement