Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The two things could well be linked.

That aside, yes, the last few months have been very detrimental to a lot of peoples mental health. Any one of concerns about relatives, fear of getting virus, being hyper vigilant, work situation, lack of social interaction, boredom, negative news cycles could be enough to cause people to suffer, all of these happening at the same time is definitely going to do so.

I hope the interview goes well. Maybe have a shower or something just before it to help freshen your mind.

Thanks for your post. I didn't get the job, found out this morning. That's have been the story of all my job interviews over the last 2.5 years, when you get no actual feedback it's hard to learn. I'm not unconfident, just seem to suck at them and don't know the HR game. Spoke to a career coach before about my CV, so some interview training is probably unavoidable and a frustration in itself because of the expense and my own lack of competence. Things have been a bit rough lately. Going to my psych next week. I thought I was starting to sleep a little better and in some ways I was. Last night was tough and today's been a bit meh. Went running with my club yesterday which was fun, but then the 4am thing hit again. Just feeling unproductive and a bit useless and all that. Have some time off work now so that'll be a little out of my mind at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Thanks for your post. I didn't get the job, found out this morning. That's have been the story of all my job interviews over the last 2.5 years, when you get no actual feedback it's hard to learn. I'm not unconfident, just seem to suck at them and don't know the HR game. Spoke to a career coach before about my CV, so some interview training is probably unavoidable and a frustration in itself because of the expense and my own lack of competence. Things have been a bit rough lately. Going to my psych next week. I thought I was starting to sleep a little better and in some ways I was. Last night was tough and today's been a bit meh. Went running with my club yesterday which was fun, but then the 4am thing hit again. Just feeling unproductive and a bit useless and all that. Have some time off work now so that'll be a little out of my mind at least.

I'm sorry to hear that, have you tried recruitment agencies? They really helped me with interview preparation which was 100 per cent the reason I got current job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭lurker2000

Hi, I have't posted in some time - had the worst year of my life last year. Anxiety overwhelmed me in January 2019 and I decided to go on Lex in February. This shot my anxiety through the roof initially. Day three I woke in the middle of the night with a loud song playing in my head that I couldn't silence. This was the start of a further nightmare for me as the fear of this music stayed with me for all of last year. Any TV ad with a catchy tune made my brain go into defensive mode as I knew that song would play in my head the following day.

Consequently I asked my GP to steadily raise my dose up to 20mg in the hope that I would lose the fear but still that damned music played. As soon as I woke in the morning it was there ... luckily TV and conversations drowned it out but I seriously thought life would not be worth living if I had to spend every day like that.

I went to a great therapist but I found my particular problem was not one many had encountered and I felt so alone. I muddled through and at least got to do the daily tasks that needed doing and maintained my relationships with family and friends. As the months wore on I slowly realised that this music was my brains way of trying to sooth me. I had always liked music and my brain knew that and tried to calm the anxiety that way little knowing it was causing me more anxiety as I had no control over it.

Finally, just before lock-down I went to a hypnotherapist who appealed to me 'fear' brain to accept the music wasn't a problem, it was just trying to help. I really feel these visits (3) really helped me back on the road to recovery at last. Now I accept the music if it plays and because of this, the volume has really decreased.

Two weeks ago I started to reduce the meds with agreement from my doc. So far, so good - I am tapering very slowly but feel very positive for the first time in 18months that I may actually get through this. If I taper to a lower dose and have the anxiety back, I will stay on the medication, otherwise I would like to stop.

These last 18 months have opened my eyes to people who suffer from depression and anxiety, something I didn't think about much before. My respect to those who live through trying times on a daily basis knows no bounds. I wish each and everyone of you a respite from darkness and hope we will all emerge into the sunlight soon.

Hoping someone here has an idea of state benefits

I just had my last illness benefit payment (hit the 2 year mark)

I'm going back to work once I get the OK from company doctors

But that means I'll be left a couple of weeks with nothing coming in, what should I do? Apply for supplementary?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

That sounds like the way to go, there is a state benefits forum with some knowledgeable posters if you want to post a question there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,827 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

But that means I'll be left a couple of weeks with nothing coming in, what should I do? Apply for supplementary?

Yea probably

Hello all, things are quiet here! I hope everyone is doing well

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Hello all, things are quiet here! I hope everyone is doing well

Was just at my first psych appointment in a while, he's very good but covid has scuppered any real relationship we had established

How about you?

Was just at my first psych appointment in a while, he's very good but covid has scuppered any real relationship we had established

Face to face? All mine the past while has been on the phone just

Can barely spend five minutes on the phone :o so we just shut down until he was happy with face to face.. Did phone for consults just to get scripts alright

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I'm broken from job hunting, application forms, constant rejection. Over 2 years at it and I'm worn down. I can count on one hand the number of times I've gotten feedback from interviews/applications. I got and paid for professional advice on CV and now have a CV that is a lot sharper and I couldn't have written myself. It's not the only area in life I feel rejected in. Long email to the psych before our next meeting. I'm trying so hard. I filled out a depression form, but am pretty muddled about it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,897 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I'm broken from job hunting, application forms, constant rejection. Over 2 years at it and I'm worn down. I can count on one hand the number of times I've gotten feedback from interviews/applications. I got and paid for professional advice on CV and now have a CV that is a lot sharper and I couldn't have written myself. It's not the only area in life I feel rejected in. Long email to the psych before our next meeting. I'm trying so hard. I filled out a depression form, but am pretty muddled about it now.

Job hunting is an intense experience, at the best of times! But even more so when accompanied by any sort of mental health discomfort. It is very hard to not take any lack of success, or outright failure as a personal judgement on yourself and it can be a self perpetuating negative cycle as time goes on.

Could you take a break from the job hunt for a couple of weeks or maybe a month if for no other reason than to try to break the cycle, build up some energy and starting again somewhat fresh? Many industries would be less focused on the hiring process during July/August anyway as key people would often be on leave although Covid-19 has influenced that maybe.

I have some experience in these elements as I managed a dept for over ten years and so have familiarity with the hiring process, I put myself back in to the jobs market and had a very challenging experience with a lot of dead ends, no responses and flat our rejections before finding a role and unfortunately, know about mental health difficulties all too well. If you think some advice might help, send me a PM, I know you didn't ask for any so don't feel you have to. If you keep knocking on doors, as you are doing, eventually one of them will open :).

Job hunting is an intense experience, at the best of times! But even more so when accompanied by any sort of mental health discomfort. It is very hard to not take any lack of success, or outright failure as a personal judgement on yourself and it can be a self perpetuating negative cycle as time goes on.

Could you take a break from the job hunt for a couple of weeks or maybe a month if for no other reason than to try to break the cycle, build up some energy and starting again somewhat fresh? Many industries would be less focused on the hiring process during July/August anyway as key people would often be on leave although Covid-19 has influenced that maybe.

I have some experience in these elements as I managed a dept for over ten years and so have familiarity with the hiring process, I put myself back in to the jobs market and had a very challenging experience with a lot of dead ends, no responses and flat our rejections before finding a role and unfortunately, know about mental health difficulties all too well. If you think some advice might help, send me a PM, I know you didn't ask for any so don't feel you have to. If you keep knocking on doors, as you are doing, eventually one of them will open :).

I echo the sentiment here

Can you possibly volunteer your spare time in order to bolster your cv also?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Just wondering can anyone remember when the first 'look after your mental health' ads started being shown on telly? The first I can remember had a lad saying 'look at yer man over there, he does my head in...' but can't remember what year it might have been, 12 or 15 years ago maybe

Just wondering can anyone remember when the first 'look after your mental health' ads started being shown on telly? The first I can remember had a lad saying 'look at yer man over there, he does my head in...' but can't remember what year it might have been, 12 or 15 years ago maybe

Sadly I agree with my therapist, we do a lot of talking about mental health issues in Ireland, but with little action

I echo the sentiment here

Can you possibly volunteer your spare time in order to bolster your cv also?

I don't feel I need to. I've over a decade of experience volunteering in one role, 4 years in another. Plus two other pieces of volunteering and I'm doing a Diploma in the area I work in and that'll be finished by the Autumn and would snyc up with the start of any new job.

Thank you. I was angry for an hour or so yesterday. It's the vagueness of it all I find frustrating, the stock emails, when you've oodles of experience by depth and years, skills of what they've in the info pack and all that and not even to get an interview. Anyone would be lucky to have me, I've been told that more than once. I've extended family who've worked in corporate roles, with hiring experience. One piece of advice (before covid) was to show a little bit of personality in interviews. I've tried to do that so as not to seem like a robot. I do try to do that without it seeming forced or scripted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Sadly I agree with my therapist, we do a lot of talking about mental health issues in Ireland, but with little action

It's IReland-all gob, no job. Tons of inaction, lots of discrimination... 'quiet shame'... etc etc etc

Tbf, it's ingrained in Irish society... which means it will take hundreds of years to scrape out.

It's IReland-all gob, no job. Tons of inaction, lots of discrimination... 'quiet shame'... etc etc etc

Tbf, it's ingrained in Irish society... which means it will take hundreds of years to scrape out.

you could be right unfortunately, but to be fair, ive seen a significant change in thinking regarding mental health in the last few years, so there is hope there, as people become more aware of it

Cannot sleep for more than 3 hours a night, it's driving me crazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Similar here, but it's maybe 4 hours. Then I start to feel tired and, and go for a nap, that's also 4 hours.

My schedule is all over the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Feeling awful - got a promotion in work, but that didnt work out, been around this bend on more than one occasion - I am able do the work, but just cant click with people and end up saying or doing the wrong thing and getting in trouble with the boss. Im back to square one, (entry level position) and I should be grateful and thankful that I have it, but the job gives me no satisfaction and makes me feel worse having failed again. Im supposed to be this very intelligent person, but its gotten me nowhere, and I get frustrated with colleagues that cant seem to do basic things breeze on without a care in the world (I know thats false thinking because I dont know their situation)

Im annoyed at myself, I just cant seem to make a go of things, I have to fcuk it up- I think as well as Anxiety/Depression I think I must have some type of personality disorder as I cant get on with people and I always end up pissing people off and turning people against me.

Just looking for some advise or experiences of others that have been down a similar path

It's frustrating. Even when you've maybe two nights of decent sleep the bad ones seem to cancel them out. Body feels wrecked, then being on computer all day (WFH) and all that. I did yoga at 2am last night, but it didn't work as well as normal. Wrote down things on an A4 to clear my mind...again limited impact. It's been a bit of an emotional week, though, due to family and work stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

It has been a while since I last posted. I hope everyone is doing ok in these strange times, and hopefully normality will return sooner rather than later.

My anxiety has been at me a bit the last few weeks, and it has nothing to do with the lockdown. I am fine with it, and am working from home. I think I am a little worked up over the latter, though.

I have a neurology appointment next week, as I passed out in work at the start of the year. I hoped all would have been sorted by March or April, but of course Covid-19 has delayed things (for many people).

I have been off the road since January as a result of the above, but it looks like it was just a viral thing. Though, there may be an irregularity with my heart, which I will find out more about. The neurology tests were fine, though.

But, the neurologist had to consult a cardiologist over my heart monitor results. If it was just the neurology results, I'd be back driving already.

I am not stressing over the appointment, being honest, and didn't stress over getting the tests done. All standard, I guess.

I don't know why I am getting worked up, though. I have felt a slight heaviness in my chest as a result, but maybe not connected to a heart issue. It's more than likely just a bit of anxiety.

I seem to worry about little things that shouldn't be any bother. I am a little apprehensive about returning to the office, whenever it may be. I am happy working from home. Yet, it would be good to see my colleagues and get back into the old routine.

I haven't really been out walking either, apart from the odd lunchtime walk around my estate, or the very odd longer one at weekends. I need to do more of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Are you allowed to ask for recommendations of a therapist on here for depression via PM? If so I will state what I’m after. Have rang around a good few already.

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Are you allowed to ask for recommendations of a therapist on here for depression via PM? If so I will state what I’m after. Have rang around a good few already.

I think you can ask, maybe one of the mods will clarify.

Irrespective of the whether recommendations can be made or not, my 2 cents is that a therapist is a very specific relationship and so actually going to them to discuss need and also seeing how you gel with them and how they speak about their special areas of focus. I have found this to be the most productive way to source a new one. It can be a little annoying, the thought of paying for an appointment with someone who you might not work with again, but is the method which worked best for me.

All that being said, you may be looking for someone with extensive experience of a specific nature and so I can see how recommendations could help narrow the search.

Trebor176 wrote: »
    It has been a while since I last posted. I hope everyone is doing ok in these strange times, and hopefully normality will return sooner rather than later.

My anxiety has been at me a bit the last few weeks, and it has nothing to do with the lockdown. I am fine with it, and am working from home. I think I am a little worked up over the latter, though.

I have a neurology appointment next week, as I passed out in work at the start of the year. I hoped all would have been sorted by March or April, but of course Covid-19 has delayed things (for many people).

I have been off the road since January as a result of the above, but it looks like it was just a viral thing. Though, there may be an irregularity with my heart, which I will find out more about. The neurology tests were fine, though.

But, the neurologist had to consult a cardiologist over my heart monitor results. If it was just the neurology results, I'd be back driving already.

I am not stressing over the appointment, being honest, and didn't stress over getting the tests done. All standard, I guess.

I don't know why I am getting worked up, though. I have felt a slight heaviness in my chest as a result, but maybe not connected to a heart issue. It's more than likely just a bit of anxiety.

I seem to worry about little things that shouldn't be any bother. I am a little apprehensive about returning to the office, whenever it may be. I am happy working from home. Yet, it would be good to see my colleagues and get back into the old routine.

I haven't really been out walking either, apart from the odd lunchtime walk around my estate, or the very odd longer one at weekends. I need to do more of it.

All of that certainly sounds like it would increase anxiety and if not, then at the very least be a weight on your shoulders until it is resolved. It sounds to me like you are handling it quite pragmatically and maturely.

Hope the next appointment helps to put your mind at ease. I think specialists can refer to others quite readily as they only focus on their specific area of expertise and so its probably just precautionary.

I think you can ask, maybe one of the mods will clarify.

Irrespective of the whether recommendations can be made or not, my 2 cents is that a therapist is a very specific relationship and so actually going to them to discuss need and also seeing how you gel with them and how they speak about their special areas of focus. I have found this to be the most productive way to source a new one. It can be a little annoying, the thought of paying for an appointment with someone who you might not work with again, but is the method which worked best for me.

All that being said, you may be looking for someone with extensive experience of a specific nature and so I can see how recommendations could help narrow the search.

Ok, thanks. I’m in mid 20s and looking for person centred therapy or solution focused; I need to explore and relate my emotions, not necessarily understand. I have done stints before with psychiatrist, psychologist/Counsellors and done some CBT in my early 20s.

It’s generally depression, maybe some anxiety and what has been described to me as “ennui”, or existential crisis, trying to find purpose or meaning in daily things like work. I didn’t know what that was until I searched it.

I have taken antidepressants in the past but weaned myself off of them with my GP’s guidance. I would never go back on them and it was great but very tough to get off of them. I am experiencing a low period at the moment.

I have rang around a few to get a feel for their personality but it is tough to know who to go with, mainly been calling psychotherapists, that are in the humanistic/integrative field.

Location is North Dublin D15.

Thanks in advance, obviously PM is fine rather than derailing the thread.

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Ok, thanks. I’m in mid 20s and looking for person centred therapy or solution focused; I need to explore and relate my emotions, not necessarily understand. I have done stints before with psychiatrist, psychologist/Counsellors and done some CBT in my early 20s.

It’s generally depression, maybe some anxiety and what has been described to me as “ennui”, or existential crisis, trying to find purpose or meaning in daily things like work. I didn’t know what that was until I searched it.

I have taken antidepressants in the past but weaned myself off of them with my GP’s guidance. I would never go back on them and it was great but very tough to get off of them. I am experiencing a low period at the moment.

I have rang around a few to get a feel for their personality but it is tough to know who to go with, mainly been calling psychotherapists, that are in the humanistic/integrative field.

Location is North Dublin D15.

Thanks in advance, obviously PM is fine rather than derailing the thread.

Pm'd you with mine

Pm'd you with mine

Got it there thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

It never really goes away, does it 😔

Advertisement