Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

RubyXI wrote: »
    It never really goes away, does it ��

Maybe for some, I'm not sure. I first realised/was told by my doctor I had depression when I was 21. So about 6 years on I'm still finding it coming back the odd time, but I feel better equipped to recognise it coming back and deal with it as I get older.

I am in the middle of a low period right now, stopped going to the gym, stopped playing football.

Going to try see a good therapist in the psycotherapy side to give it a good attempt this time to work through it. I had no relapses in almost a year there, so I'm hoping a good bit of work and commitment from me now will hopefully eradicate it for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I was diagnosed at 15... and nope, it doesn't go away.

Once you know the problem, that's half the battle. An unfortunate 'side effect' of it is that you often get ran down (darn thing takes a toll on the body). In that case, sometimes you do need vitamins to help out. (I take medication, but I sometimes do get ran-down. Mental health takes a physical toll too. But ask your doctor if you think there's something else going on.)

The worst thing is when you feel horrible, but there's no name for it. Once there's a name on it, it helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭statto25

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Maybe for some, I'm not sure. I first realised/was told by my doctor I had depression when I was 21. So about 6 years on I'm still finding it coming back the odd time, but I feel better equipped to recognise it coming back and deal with it as I get older.

I am in the middle of a low period right now, stopped going to the gym, stopped playing football.

Going to try see a good therapist in the psycotherapy side to give it a good attempt this time to work through it. I had no relapses in almost a year there, so I'm hoping a good bit of work and commitment from me now will hopefully eradicate it for a while.

When you stop going to football etc, do folks ask you why youre not turning up? I suppose I'm asking do people understand your condition or are they flippant about it?

Ill 2nd the "it never goes away sentiment"

The worst thing is when you feel horrible, but there's no name for it. Once there's a name on it, it helps.

I agree with the above but I seem to spend a lot of time doubting the "names" and putting it down to me just being a flawed person. In the last 6 months Ive heard a lot of acronyms associated with my wellbeing and sometimes it feels like Im grasping for a reason to be unwell.

statto25 wrote: »
    Ill 2nd the "it never goes away sentiment"

I agree with the above but I seem to spend a lot of time doubting the "names" and putting it down to me just being a flawed person. In the last 6 months Ive heard a lot of acronyms associated with my wellbeing and sometimes it feels like Im grasping for a reason to be unwell.

The doubt is part and parcel with it. I constantly doubt myself. Constantly doubt if it's the disease, or it's 'me'. Wonder if I got preferential treatment, or if I was treated on merit.

The doubt is toxic... I've heard someone describe it as 'toxic impostor syndrome', worse than impostor syndrome.

• Advertisement

The doubt is part and parcel with it. I constantly doubt myself. Constantly doubt if it's the disease, or it's 'me'. Wonder if I got preferential treatment, or if I was treated on merit.

The doubt is toxic... I've heard someone describe it as 'toxic impostor syndrome', worse than impostor syndrome.

Thats a pretty good description. Its so tiring. I'm absolutely running on empty because my mind never stops. I can understand now why people were fed up of me or would tailor things to keep me "happy".

Any of you sleeping poorly at the moment? I’ve tried everything at this stage. Tried valerian root extract tablets, left me feeling groggy and terrible next morning.

Now trying a few drops of CBD oil at bedtime, and putting lavender oil on my pillow.

Laying awake to 3am at least . And that’s putting my phone away in another room. Keep waking up, very disrupted.
    I still get up at 8, but by the time it’s 12pm I am absolutely gone for the rest of the day, mind is in a haze

Any of you sleeping poorly at the moment? I’ve tried everything at this stage. Tried valerian root extract tablets, left me feeling groggy and terrible next morning.

Now trying a few drops of CBD oil at bedtime, and putting lavender oil on my pillow.

Laying awake to 3am at least . And that’s putting my phone away in another room. Keep waking up, very disrupted.
    I still get up at 8, but by the time it’s 12pm I am absolutely gone for the rest of the day, mind is in a haze

No not sleeping well at all. Was having terrible nightmares where I was acting them out in the bed so was prescribed melatonin. Its settled me in terms of nightmares but my sleep is still disrupted. Last week I got up for work at 8.15, fell asleep on the couch with my laptop open at 9.30, disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 187 ✭✭lilydonoghue

Hi, I hope this is the right place. I’m just wondering how much medication, if any, other people take.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Hi, I hope this is the right place. I’m just wondering how much medication, if any, other people take.

Lots
    One antidepressant
    One antipsychotic
    Two anxiety reducing meds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

Seroquel is the main one, I'm on a fairly high prescription spread over 4 doses a day. It's been keeping me very stable the past couple of years. Completely changed my life.

Lots of other meds too but the Seroquel is the most important in my view.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭victor8600

It all depends on your specific needs. Please talk to your GP first. Personally, I have developed a generalized anxiety through the neglect of my psychological state. I have started cognitive behaviour therapy and in parallel I tried Zoloft, but that drug caused horrible side effects for me that really scared me. Right now I am taking a small dose of Xanax when needed, but mostly I am relying on the tricks from the therapy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,824 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

150mg sertraline (ssri)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Anti-depressant and anti-psychotic

Settled on these after a few years trial and error and of course my own symptoms changing, there's no 'normal' amount or type of med, any further questions should be directed to your gp or health professional

Some nights, I would make a shot of hot whiskey, to put me to sleep. I got tired of this, because I didn't feel fully rested.

I've tried cbd oil, using it occasionally to help me sleep. It does help, knocks me out like a light. Lavender drops on a pillow is a go to for me. I fall asleep like a light, when I'm not stressed.

Medication is something you discuss between you and your doctor/ psychiatrist/ psychologist.

I won't discuss my meds, but I will say that just like insulin, don't be stressed if your dosage has to be upped, or lowered, depending on how life is going.

Some people go to the gym more often when life is stressful, or they grab a toblerone and finish it in one sitting (not me, I could never eat a Toblerone in one sitting) after a rough day.

Different situations require different treatments.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BobCobb

Feeling awful - got a promotion in work, but that didnt work out, been around this bend on more than one occasion - I am able do the work, but just cant click with people and end up saying or doing the wrong thing and getting in trouble with the boss. Im back to square one, (entry level position) and I should be grateful and thankful that I have it, but the job gives me no satisfaction and makes me feel worse having failed again. Im supposed to be this very intelligent person, but its gotten me nowhere, and I get frustrated with colleagues that cant seem to do basic things breeze on without a care in the world (I know thats false thinking because I dont know their situation)

Im annoyed at myself, I just cant seem to make a go of things, I have to fcuk it up- I think as well as Anxiety/Depression I think I must have some type of personality disorder as I cant get on with people and I always end up pissing people off and turning people against me.

Just looking for some advise or experiences of others that have been down a similar path

Have you talked to a GP or been to any counsellor about this?
    I can relate to what you have written, but for me I tend to alienate others when I'm at my most depressed or worn down, and then I'll tend to start in on the self-recrimination later on when I'm at home. :D
    Don't be too hard on yourself, instead maybe try to introduce something positive to your life, which can have a knock-on positive effect on your mood, such as some exercise or creativity.

As others above were just discussing it can be hard to figure out if some issues are caused by poor mental health or if they are caused by an aspect of your own personality, or maybe even a combination of the two!

I find that my personality can change from day to day to an extent, and a lot of that comes down to outlook and my mood. Things that have helped me are going to a mindfulness course, meditation and medication (escitalopram).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭Aron722

Sorry if it's a silly question but what are the signs you have anxiety and depression?

Or doctors talking you you have depression?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭victor8600

Aron722 wrote: »
    Sorry if it's a silly question but what are the signs you have anxiety and depression?

Or doctors talking you you have depression?

No, doctors won't run after you trying to diagnose you unless you realise you have a problem and ask a doctor about it. In my particular case, I had warning signs that I am not managing stress correctly for years -- I had restarted smoking, got more edgy in general, and then one bad day -- boom, full blown panic attacks out of nowhere, troubles with sleeping, social withdrawal and really crappy mood and that continued for weeks before I talked to my GP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭lurker2000

Since I started taking Meds last year, I had instant insomnia. Was on sleeps tabs for weeks but obviously couldn’t continue long term. Eventually I was prescribed Trazadone which is non addictive. 50mgs a night.

It doesn’t send me to sleep but it gives me uninterrupted sleep which I need to function. If I have broken sleep, my anxiety ramps up.

As I’m reducing the meds now, I hope the sleep pattern I had pre meds comes back. I always slept like a baby I’m the good old days !

lurker2000 wrote: »
    Since I started taking Meds last year, I had instant insomnia. Was on sleeps tabs for weeks but obviously couldn’t continue long term. Eventually I was prescribed Trazadone which is non addictive. 50mgs a night.

It doesn’t send me to sleep but it gives me uninterrupted sleep which I need to function. If I have broken sleep, my anxiety ramps up.

As I’m reducing the meds now, I hope the sleep pattern I had pre meds comes back. I always slept like a baby I’m the good old days !

Does it leave any grogginess in the mornings? That’s what I hated about sleep tabs, tried valerian root extract tabs “Kalms” which promised not to leave you groggy. Even with half a tablet your head is fuzzy the next morning

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

My sleep is a mess though the seroquel helps sometimes. I have other health issues which effect it though so trying to figure out what to do is a bit difficult, never been on a sleeping pill as far as i can remember

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

When depression feels like running face first into a concrete wall.

Every single day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭lurker2000

Does it leave any grogginess in the mornings? That’s what I hated about sleep tabs, tried valerian root extract tabs “Kalms” which promised not to leave you groggy. Even with half a tablet your head is fuzzy the next morning

I guess it may affect people differently but no, It doesn't make me groggy - I can wake up in the night for a toilet break and come back and still go off to sleep again.

Does anyone have any tips on overcoming low confidence, self esteem and lack of motivation?

Does anyone have any tips on overcoming low confidence, self esteem and lack of motivation?

do you have many hobbies and interests?

Not really, apart from F1 and the stock market

Not really, apart from F1 and the stock market

any interest in physical activities?

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    any interest in physical activities?

Not much though I have started exercising a bit

• Advertisement

Not much though I have started exercising a bit

i personally find its the best way to jolt me out of a funk, every mental health professional ive met advocates for regular exercise, and it absolutely works, just keep experimenting with different types of exercise, you ll eventually find the ones that suit you, is there any you d like to try?

Advertisement