Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Howard Beale

I know at least 2 or 3 suicides linked tot he lockdown. Folks had depression, then it worsened when they couldn't do things like visit their counsellor, go to Pieta House or whatever.

One or two addicts I know relapsed too.

While my work schedules been all over the place, so has my sleep schedule. But that's sort of weirdly commonplace for me, when it comes to winter.

Pets have helped enormously, for real. They help with a schedule.

Yes know addicts (coke/booze) back on it now during lockdown. One lost job as was polluted working from home and on phone to clients wasted.

Schedule and routine help me. I could never do the 5kms thing. I need to go for spins and cycles and indeed go far far further than that anyway for work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,819 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Ah I've been fracturing the odd rule here and there, particularly the distance one, I wouldn't be worrying about it, I also need it for my sanity, but I also don't blame the government for having to implement those rules either, they're just doing their job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I have only been offisland once in two years... Same reason as now; avoid infections.

And that once was the chopper ride to hospital... far too short a flight! lol...

They take us home by a local minibus firm and I gazed out of the window at all the familiar and much loved places! A two hour drive and a local driver who loves old places so we got on so well. I pointed him to some he had not known about.. So that was my holiday... lol..

You just have to get used to and accept what is needful. And find pleasure and joy in each situation

Heads against brick walls are not good. And our choice entirely about how it affects us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I've come up in a really ugly rash - apparently a common side effect of my SSRI. I was intending going into the office this morning for a few hours but I got all weird and panicky about it. Counselling can't come fast enough this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

I've come up in a really ugly rash - apparently a common side effect of my SSRI. I was intending going into the office this morning for a few hours but I got all weird and panicky about it. Counselling can't come fast enough this week.

Oh God, I'd never heard of that side effect! Are you on them long? Sometimes the early weeks on certain SSRIs apprehension can increase before your mood levels out. Maybe what you're on doesn't suit you, its unfortunate but sometimes it takes a few different meds to hit the right one for you.

I was on Prozac very successfully a few years ago but the first 6 weeks on it were tough. They made me very nauseous and I could be dry retching in the mornings and during the very early weeks found I couldn't watch anything with a suspenseful plot line on tv as I couldn't handle the anxiety! Very minor issue but if I'd been working in a stressful job or dealing with a stressful issue in my personal life it would have been difficult if not impossible to continue taking them. I was about to give up on them but after three weeks I got the first brief spell of a normal, non-depressed mood and that kept me going. I'd forgotten what that felt like! Eventually, after 6 weeks, the side effects cleared up and I did very well on them. We really do need plenty if support when starting on meds. Not everyone can manage 6 weeks of heightened anxiety, yawning attacks and bouts of nausea if they've got other things going in in their lives. Keep checking back in with your GP so they can monitor you.

• Advertisement

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Oh God, I'd never heard of that side effect! Are you on them long? Sometimes the early weeks on certain SSRIs apprehension can increase before your mood levels out. Maybe what you're on doesn't suit you, its unfortunate but sometimes it takes a few different meds to hit the right one for you.

I was on Prozac very successfully a few years ago but the first 6 weeks on it were tough. They made me very nauseous and I could be dry retching in the mornings and during the very early weeks found I couldn't watch anything with a suspenseful plot line on tv as I couldn't handle the anxiety! Very minor issue but if I'd been working in a stressful job or dealing with a stressful issue in my personal life it would have been difficult if not impossible to continue taking them. I was about to give up on them but after three weeks I got the first brief spell of a normal, non-depressed mood and that kept me going. I'd forgotten what that felt like! Eventually, after 6 weeks, the side effects cleared up and I did very well on them. We really do need plenty if support when starting on meds. Not everyone can manage 6 weeks of heightened anxiety, yawning attacks and bouts of nausea if they've got other things going in in their lives. Keep checking back in with your GP so they can monitor you.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. It helps to hear first hand from other people so I know this is all normal. I'm listening to non-taxing trashy audiobooks a lot at the moment, what you've said about watching suspenseful things is also true for me! I'm also not really up for anything that takes too much concentration.

I'm only on them 3 weeks. A rash is listed under common side-effects, I checked the package insert this morning to double-check. I was nauseous for the first couple of weeks but that's mostly passed. Funny enough I had a few better days last week but now things are bad again. I had a headache for most of the weekend as well.

I was warned that the first few weeks would be rough, I've to review with the doctor at the 5 week mark so hopefully it will have levelled out by then. Both the doctor and the pharmacist were very good in stressing that the first few weeks were probably going to be challenging and that it is normal to feel worse before I feel better. If I hadn't been forewarned I think they'd be in the bin already!

Thanks again for taking the time to reply and giving me hope that it will improve with time.

Thanks so much for sharing your experience. It helps to hear first hand from other people so I know this is all normal. I'm listening to non-taxing trashy audiobooks a lot at the moment, what you've said about watching suspenseful things is also true for me! I'm also not really up for anything that takes too much concentration.

I'm only on them 3 weeks. A rash is listed under common side-effects, I checked the package insert this morning to double-check. I was nauseous for the first couple of weeks but that's mostly passed. Funny enough I had a few better days last week but now things are bad again. I had a headache for most of the weekend as well.

I was warned that the first few weeks would be rough, I've to review with the doctor at the 5 week mark so hopefully it will have levelled out by then. Both the doctor and the pharmacist were very good in stressing that the first few weeks were probably going to be challenging and that it is normal to feel worse before I feel better. If I hadn't been forewarned I think they'd be in the bin already!

Thanks again for taking the time to reply and giving me hope that it will improve with time.

Its early days yet, so. Having said that I don't think it would do any harm to ask for a phone consult with your GP to let them know about the rash and headache, etc. just to make sure that its par for the course on these meds after three weeks, especially as you had seen some improvement that has since reversed. 5 weeks is quite a long time to go without a review on new SSRIs IMO. Really you should be checking in once a fortnight, just to be safe. These arent smarties and while they are generally safe and sn excellent treatment some people have had serious issues on them. A bit of piece of mind would help you out here.

Thanks again for all your advice. I think you're right, I'm going to pull my doctor's appointment forward to next week. That'll give me a few days to see if side-effects settle a bit again and I can discuss my options with him if not.

Feeling very,very low today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Feeling very,very low today

What's up that has you feeling low?

• Advertisement

Nothing new is up. The Black Cloud has decended and its very thick and dense indeed

Nothing new is up. The Black Cloud has decended and its very thick and dense indeed

Tell us about it, how does it feel?

Can you do anything tonight like watch a movie?

Tell us about it, how does it feel?

Can you do anything tonight like watch a movie?

I feel like I'm suffocating. Can't watch or read anything lately as I've no concentration. I'm spending much of my time lying on the bed staring at the wall or hovering between sleep and awake

I feel like I'm suffocating. Can't watch or read anything lately as I've no concentration. I'm spending much of my time lying on the bed staring at the wall or hovering between sleep and awake

Maybe time to see your doctor? Make an appointment first thing Monday morning

For what it's worth it's a **** time of year in an already **** year

Maybe time to see your doctor? Make an appointment first thing Monday morning

For what it's worth it's a **** time of year in an already **** year

I tried my GP earlier this year and he told to get out for a walk once a day completely ignoring and dismissing the fact that I can't leave my Dad alone. I wont be troubling him again. I know I'm in trouble emotionally I've dealt with this for years and I dont have the energy to fight with Drs. I really can't take not being heard anymore.

I tried my GP earlier this year and he told to get out for a walk once a day completely ignoring and dismissing the fact that I can't leave my Dad alone. I wont be troubling him again. I know I'm in trouble emotionally I've dealt with this for years and I dont have the energy to fight with Drs. I really can't take not being heard anymore.

Try a different doctor maybe?

Try a different doctor maybe?

He's my new Dr!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

He's my new Dr!

Write a list of day to day symptoms and ask to be referred to local services

Write a list of day to day symptoms and ask to be referred to local services
    I just need a script.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Doc will do that along with refereral

• Advertisement

Doc will do that along with refereral
    He wouldn't do that the last time, though.

He wouldn't do that the last time, though.

You may need to be persistent, my gp saw me a few times before medication was given to establish a proper relationship with me to monitor mood.. Maybe get a mood app that charts you daily to show to them..

You may need to be persistent, my gp saw me a few times before medication was given to establish a proper relationship with me to monitor mood.. Maybe get a mood app that charts you daily to show to them..

I'll try the mood app, that's a good idea. Any recommendations? Thanks for listening, folks.

I've just been using daylio, i don't have much experience with them tbh so more input would be welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭PHG

Without being too intrusive, why can't you leave your Dad alone if you are spending the day staring at the wall sometimes doing nothing?

Have you any hobbies or want to take up something ?

PHG wrote: »
    Without being too intrusive, why can't you leave your Dad alone if you are spending the day staring at the wall sometimes doing nothing?

Have you any hobbies or want to take up something ?

There are a number of reasons I can't leave him alone, mainly, he has dementia. While I don't have to be in the same room as him all day to watch him, I do have to be in the house because if I leave it at all he'll start trying to do stuff he can't do anymore (climb ladders, moving furniture around, that kind if thing) Its always really obvious when someone has no direct experience of caring for someone with dementia when they ask questions like that.

I have zero motivation or concentration at the moment. I'll take Grems advice and keep a mood diary and take it to the GP. I'm not well, ATM. I am very aware of that now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,819 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Sardonicat wrote:
    There are a number of reasons I can't leave him alone, mainly, he has dementia. While I don't have to be in the same room as him all day to watch him, I do have to be in the house because if I leave it at all he'll start trying to do stuff he can't do anymore (climb ladders, moving furniture around, that kind if thing) Its always really obvious when someone has no direct experience of caring for someone with dementia when they ask questions like that.

Its terrifying how carers are not cared for, how people simply dont understand how much stress they are under, in fact, I find it disturbing. Carers are extremely vulnerable, extremely susceptible to stress related mental health issues due to their conditions, it's disturbing how doctors simply ignore your situation.

We found an elderly relative with dementia wondering around our neighbourhood, she was looking for a shop to buy cigarettes, the shop she was looking for has long gone, since the 80's, and our neighbourhood has changed dramatically since, houses where there was none in the 80's and alleyways that no longer exist etc. Obviously this confused her deeply, it left her deeply confused and lost in her own neighbourhood. thankfully she recognised my mother, and was brought home, but it could have ended badly, we don't live in the nicest of places, she was very vulnerable walking around alone and lost, and it was obvious she was, it could have ended very badly, dementia is dreadful, I wish you all the best.

Oh Sardonicat I’m so sorry to hear what you’re going through. Depression on top of the stress of being a carer for your dad must be horrific.

It’s also really awful your GP brushed you off like that.

You shouldn’t have to suffer for longer than necessary to convince your doctor you need a script. Would you consider using Webdoctor? It’s not too expensive if you book an off-peak slot and while they can’t prescribe sedatives or sleeping tablets, they can prescribe antidepressants if you know that’s what you need to get you through the next while.

Is there anyone who can give you a little break from your dad? Even a couple of hours a week, a close friend or another family member? I know lockdown and all has made everything seem impossible but they could mask up and take all precautions if it’s just for a short break for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You need to get help with with carers coming in, or day center once a week or so. You need a break. Even if it's just too get a coffee or lunch and decompress.

• Advertisement

beauf wrote: »
    You need to get help with with carers coming in, or day center once a week or so. You need a break. Even if it's just too get a coffee or lunch and decompress.

Day centre is closed due to Covid. I cancelled carers at start of pandemic as they did not have adequate PPE and frankly, don't miss them. Half an hour in the morning is no help really. We actually get to stay in bed an hour longer that they're not coming and I had to have everything ready for them before they arrived. Honestly, they created more work.

Advertisement