Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,819 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Sardonicat wrote: »
    Day centre is closed due to Covid. I cancelled carers at start of pandemic as they did not have adequate PPE and frankly, don't miss them. Half an hour in the morning is no help really. We actually get to stay in bed an hour longer that they're not coming and I had to have everything ready for them before they arrived. Honestly, they created more work.

the whole home care system sounds disturbing to me, ive heard very little positives from people who have received it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    the whole home care system sounds disturbing to me, ive heard very little positives from people who have received it

They wint be darkening my door again. At the start if the pandemic I phoned up the area manager enquiring why they didn't have masks, she just told me that because they hadn't received the order to wear masks they couldn't do it. She put me onto her boss, who told me that 'this will all be over in twe weeks time uf everyone just washes their hands, sent me the recommendations shed been sent and basically admitted that because the recommendations included nothing about care in the home setting she was taking it to mean they weren't required. Despite the fact that they were already compulsory in all clinical settings. In essence she was watching her budget and failing to fight for the well-being of her clients and her staff. The vast majority of home care package recipients cancelled the service bar the few who had no-one at home and were relying on them to get their basic hygiene needs met. A number of their clients were subsequently infected after a home help was infected in a house that had a COV+ person visiting. Four of these people died and several other HCA's became infected. You wont hear about that in the press. The very same lack of response shown to the elderly that was demonstrated in our Nursing Homes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Can't say that been our experience.

Took a while to get reliable carers established we switched company until we were happy with one company. We keep a stock of masks and hand wash etc in case they run out or don't have their own. Slowly built up the hours over time and it's supplemented by cleaners etc. Before the pandemic the local day center was great. One half is specifically for Alzheimer’s and similar. The carers have been great sometimes coming in their day off of they know we had no cover because someone was sick etc. Hasn't been perfect no. But they get paid pittance, and it's a tough job.

It was only a suggestion. Won't work for everyone.

beauf wrote: »
    Can't say that been our experience.

Took a while to get reliable carers established we switched company until we were happy with one company. We keep a stock of masks and hand wash etc in case they run out or don't have their own. Slowly built up the hours over time and it's supplemented by cleaners etc. Before the pandemic the local day center was great. One half is specifically for Alzheimer’s and similar. The carers have been great sometimes coming in their day off of they know we had no cover because someone was sick etc. Hasn't been perfect no. But they get paid pittance, and it's a tough job.

It was only a suggestion. Won't work for everyone.

Well, it probably works wonders for those who can afford to pay for it. The HSE carers were forbidden from wearing masks I supplied them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

We only pay for cleaners the rest is HSE. But I'm sure you can be lucky and unlucky with the companies in your area.The system was broken and inadequate before Covid never mind since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,302 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I feel like I'm suffocating. Can't watch or read anything lately as I've no concentration. I'm spending much of my time lying on the bed staring at the wall or hovering between sleep and awake

Try and get out for a walk, take care

Anyone experience with Lexapro been put on them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,610 ✭✭✭eigrod

He wouldn't do that the last time, though.

Obviously I don’t know your financial situation, but could you arrange an appointment with a therapist privately ? They’re usually €60 to €80 per session (1 hour). Probably need one session per week for about 5 or 6 weeks and then hopefully more spread out after that.

Other things you could do, take some fish oil supplements and/or Magnesium daily. Exercise - at least one or two daily walks/runs/cycles. Mindfulness - the Jon Kabatt Zinn body scan on YouTube is quite good- there’s loads of Mindfulness on YouTube (some of the voices you might not take to, so try others). A Mindfulness Colouring book can be very good for the mind. Try some light TV - half hour comedies etc.

There won’t be an overnight solution, and no single solution, but hopefully you can find things that will bring you back up to being able to face and conquer each day - you can do it.

beauf wrote: »
    We only pay for cleaners the rest is HSE. But I'm sure you can be lucky and unlucky with the companies in your area.The system was broken and inadequate before Covid never mind since.

TBH, this has gone way off topic. I have no problem being my Dad''s carer. I am not too precious to attend to his hygiene needs etc and I do my own cleaning. My point was that the GP completely disregarded me when I told him I couldn't leave my Dad unattended to go for a walk, which was his solution for what is an
    worsening episode of depression, a condition I have since I was a teenager and can and do manage well for the most part. When my coping skills dont cut it, its medication time. I know myself well enough to know that now and he completely disregarded it. A 30 minute walk a day wont cut the mustard when I haven't the concentration to watch a tv show or read a short article. Even if I could leave my Dad for a walk I don't have the motivation to do that. That's my problem. Being my Dad's carer actually helps me as I have to get up every morning and attend to him and complete basic tasks like preparing a meal, laundry , etc. If I didn't have to do that they wouldn't be getting done at the moment. Gremlinertia gave great advice re keeping a mood diary and bringing it to the Dr. I'll be doing that, as it will show how bad its got. I got very good over the years at putting in the game face to the degree that I forget to take it off. If I can show him how dark my thoughts are getting he might concede and write me a script.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Mod note - back on topic please, Sardonicat asked about help with depression, not a carer's conversation, thank you - Grem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Has anyone ever had the experience of sleeping thru a birthday?

I've had that experience before, spending sequential birthdays in bed. (The reasons being the Flu, food poisoning, and the flu) and another birthday I stayed in bed because of a depressive episode.

This year, despite everything, I had a relatively good year... I was kept busy, I had a steady income. I did get sick months back, but I was fortunate it never became anything more serious. I decided to visit my mum and brother for the holidays (working from home for the next few weeks, I got tested beforehand too-all clear).

But things with my family have been... uneven, to say the least. A few months ago, without telling me, they tried to throw out old books I owned, including notebooks and other stuff that were mine. Those books are more than books to me. They helped me get thru my dad's illness and passing. I got angry, so they retrieved them, and dried them off.
    There've been other incidents where it feels like I'm worthless, at least in their eyes. (Won't bore you with them).

But it was my birthday a few days ago (please don't say Happy Birthday).
    I went to bed at 2pm that day-(my birthday)-set my alarm. Thought that even if I slept in late, I'd be woken up. At least before midnight.

No... nope. I was just left there. My alarm either didn't go off, or I slept thru it. The battery died in my second alarm.

I woke up at 1.30 am. I was angry-nobody called to check in on me. Nothing. It felt like nobody cared.
    I know I'm an adult, I should watch out for these things. But to just not even check in on me... it felt cold. Especially on my own birthday. (Apparently they 'discussed' waking me up-but nobody called to check in on me). I wanted to celebrate.
    This whole incident has messed up my sleep-spent the days after in bed with no energy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Bad day at work, was put in my place when I was only trying to be helpful. Can't win. Roll on 5 o clock

Bad day at work, was put in my place when I was only trying to be helpful. Can't win. Roll on 5 o clock

Work mates can be right arseholes at times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

I’ve just received a letter from the mental health service I’ve been using that they’re hiking their fees..... by 25%! A review appointment with the psychiatrist has gone from 150 to 200. After the year we’ve had, where they were charging full price for online appointments that really didn’t cut it. They still aren’t back to face to face appointments, and I’ve been holding on by the skin of my teeth waiting until they restart. But this is a huge kick in the gut, basically means I will not be able to access that service again. I just can’t believe they would do this now - it feels like profiteering as surely they’re going to be busier than ever before. I’m in a very bad place.

Multipass wrote:
    I’ve just received a letter from the mental health service I’ve been using that they’re hiking their fees..... by 25%! A review appointment with the psychiatrist has gone from 150 to 200. After the year we’ve had, where they were charging full price for online appointments that really didn’t cut it. They still aren’t back to face to face appointments, and I’ve been holding on by the skin of my teeth waiting until they restart. But this is a huge kick in the gut, basically means I will not be able to access that service again. I just can’t believe they would do this now - it feels like profiteering as surely they’re going to be busier than ever before. I’m in a very bad place.

Yup, health care is a 'cost', a costs are bad, this is absolutely disgraceful! There's nothing stopping the government from offering these services for free at point of contact, they just won't!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

Yup, health care is a 'cost', a costs are bad, this is absolutely disgraceful! There's nothing stopping the government from offering these services for free at point of contact, they just won't!

Yeah I shouldn’t be shocked at anything anymore. And I know prices always creep up, I would have expected 5, or even 10% - but 25% after a year of reduced services when people are on their knees. What it means is that I’ll be asking my GP to adjust my meds from now on, based on a 10 minute consult.

Multipass wrote: »
    Yeah I shouldn’t be shocked at anything anymore. And I know prices always creep up, I would have expected 5, or even 10% - but 25% after a year of reduced services when people are on their knees. What it means is that I’ll be asking my GP to adjust my meds from now on, based on a 10 minute consult.

yup, this stuff is becoming disturbing now, its clearly obvious theres something deeply fundamentally wrong with the way we approach health care, and theres no need for it at all, theres endless availability of money, and plenty of people around to do the work that needs to be done, this is truly disturbing stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭carzony

Having a terrible deep panic feeling the last few hours, can't sleep because of it. I'm feeling very trapped for some reason.

carzony wrote:
    Having a terrible deep panic feeling the last few hours, can't sleep because of it. I'm feeling very trapped for some reason.

You might need to get up and move around, if you can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

yup, this stuff is becoming disturbing now, its clearly obvious theres something deeply fundamentally wrong with the way we approach health care, and theres no need for it at all, theres endless availability of money, and plenty of people around to do the work that needs to be done, this is truly disturbing stuff

I am facing Christmas in bed. No painkillers still. They were trying to force me to register with the abusive GP but then I reminded them that a dr against whom there is a complaint is not allowed to treat that patient.

Since then total silence from them. So... adult and responsible of them!

Emailed higher up in HSE and waiting to hear.

Medical politics and always the drs come first.

I would buy OTC and do without food by doing so but nothing that works available and I don't even have access to a pharmacy as I am cocooned.
    Hurting to breathe at times. I am nearly 80 by the way.

Bed is bliss! It really is bliss. Taking root.. YouTube carols and my cats. Can take any amount of this simple comfort.

If pain would just let up.

But what a travesty of " medical care"; all I ever asked was a prescription.

And the pre-holiday desk clearing has started. cop out …. factual inaccuracies.

This is going to come to lawyers.

As I have said to them, if you treated a dog like this there would be outrage. But a near 80 year old? Nah!

Ah well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Grace if you think OTC painkillers will help until you see a different doc, send me a message and I'll gladly help get some to you.

Grace, have you registered with a different GP? You will need a prescriber for prescribed meds.

Grace if you think OTC painkillers will help until you see a different doc, send me a message and I'll gladly help get some to you.

Your kindness is so comforting but they never helped sadly. I wish! it is a deep nerve pain. If I ever find an OTC that helps I will finish with HSE totally.

I just responded to the email from the Medical Council as they have been told several things that are totally provably and shockingly totally untrue

and that I have witness to that from within HSE itself... In writing! And signed them off on that until after Christmas. Oh and I mentioned the l word.. ( lawyer)

Let Christmas reign... or even snow.

Hoping all there are faring well enough to allow the true season to win through... well aware out here on the island that covid wise I am in the safest place. None here and none nearby on the mainland.

Grace, have you registered with a different GP? You will need a prescriber for prescribed meds.

I am still registered with my original GP. This one highjacked me. But I have refused to reregister. However he retires shortly. But I will not resister with this one after all this.

If I can find meds OTC that will take the pain enough I intend to do without a dr. I was in Kerry 4 years and had an excellent respectful and very competent and caring GP who I rarely needed to see. He retired as I was moving house but intervened when it went sideways here re my meds. So I know there are good GPs out there. This is just a blip.

It is just pain relief and emergency cover I need. They refuse to believe in the CFS/ME and that means I manage that alone. Which is fine. I am good at that

I had the thirty years in the UK being misdiagnosed with mental/nervous illness etc so prefer a dr less life frankly .

All this drags me down. I have no trust left. So many serious mistakes. Had they issued pain meds to keep me safe and then discussed this? I would have had more trust. But this?

NB I emailed my TD with the saga today and have had an immediate request for the email correspondence with the HSE. Complaints Officer whose name I had mentioned . I had it all on one message so that has gone off to him. All the urging to break the rules etc. It felt good that he asked... Really good .

I'm sorry , Grace, but I'm very confused with your situation. I'm finding it very hard to follow so dont know how to advise or what support to offer. If you are still registered with your original GP why can't they prescribe what you need? Forgive me if I'm missing something.

I'm sorry , Grace, but I'm very confused with your situation. I'm finding it very hard to follow so dont know how to advise or what support to offer. If you are still registered with your original GP why can't they prescribe what you need? Forgive me if I'm missing something.

That is a real question.

I posted here what happened early in November. It is a very small and close knit local medical community. And very short of drs. My original GP will not help.

I just need to vent is all. And bless you all for letting me, and it stops me from getting totally submerged. Maybe the TD showing an interest will make a difference.

Graces7 wrote: »
    That is a real question.

I posted here what happened early in November. It is a very small and close knit local medical community. And very short of drs. My original GP will not help.

I just need to vent is all. And bless you all for letting me, and it stops me from getting totally submerged. Maybe the TD showing an interest will make a difference.

Are you saying your current pre-retired GP is refusing to prescribe, or isn't seeing patients anymore? So, you need to register with a different GP. The new GP will 'inherit ' the practice's registered patients automatically. That's normal. It's not hijacking. You are not obliged to stay with that practice. You can register with whoever has room to take you. But if you have no actual GP at the moment and are not consulting with any other GP till you find a new one, you wont be able to get meds. Just change GP and in the meantime consult with 'any' GP, online maybe, to get a prescription sorted. You may well have to pay, but if you are crippled with pain surely it's worth it. TBH, it seems pointless to remain with your current practice if the incoming GP is prevented from treating you due to the ongoing investigation and it sounds like they atent a good fit for you anyway.

Are you saying your current pre-retired GP is refusing to prescribe, or isn't seeing patients anymore? So, you need to register with a different GP. The new GP will 'inherit ' the practice's registered patients automatically. That's normal. It's not hijacking. You are not obliged to stay with that practice. You can register with whoever has room to take you. But if you have no actual GP at the moment and are not consulting with any other GP till you find a new one, you wont be able to get meds. Just change GP and in the meantime consult with 'any' GP, online maybe, to get a prescription sorted. You may well have to pay, but if you are crippled with pain surely it's worth it. TBH, it seems pointless to remain with your current practice if the incoming GP is prevented from treating you due to the ongoing investigation and it sounds like they atent a good fit for you anyway.

it is not as simple as that out here. Trust me on that; and I do know the rules and what is happening and being done. And it is wrong. I have been around many decades and know the system very very well and have checked every move and event with experts who have been appalled at the situation. Deep rural and isolated islands with small populations like this one are not rural or urban. The rules are not followed as they are elsewhere. . . So what you write does not apply in the same way. . Unless someone makes waves when things go wrong. And yes, hijacked. Even cancelling an already written prescription.

We will see what our TD says.

Bedtime here. Have a lovely evening!

Graces7 wrote: »
    it is not as simple as that out here. Trust me on that; and I do know the rules and what is happening and being done. And it is wrong. I have been around many decades and know the system very very well and have checked every move and event with experts who have been appalled at the situation. Deep rural and isolated islands with small populations like this one are not rural or urban. The rules are not followed as they are elsewhere. . . So what you write does not apply in the same way. . Unless someone makes waves when things go wrong. And yes, hijacked. Even cancelling an already written prescription.

We will see what our TD says.

Bedtime here. Have a lovely evening!

You are absolutely free and entitled to register with any GP you wish who has room to take you, no matter where you live. If you dont like the way you are bring treated by one GP( and I can't say I blame you) , get another. By all means pursue your complaint with this one, but nothing can prevent you from registering with another one in the meantime and getting your medication sorted.

• Advertisement

You are absolutely free and entitled to register with any GP you wish who has room to take you, no matter where you live. If you dont like the way you are bring treated by one GP( and I can't say I blame you) , get another. By all means pursue your complaint with this one, but nothing can prevent you from registering with another one in the meantime and getting your medication sorted.

Thank you for understanding, and all you say is excellent anywhere but here. . I am housebound, cocooned, , unable to travel . On a small island It just is too different a setting for ordinary ideas to apply. It really is. And there is almost no choice here now. Rural Ireland is running out of GPs .. one further north has one GP running two huge areas now. Used to be two GPs . So the idea of " getting another" is not feasible . There was an excellent dr here part time but he left. We got on so well. I am sure something will be worked out. If not I will manage. This island is my home. Where I seek to be until I die. I am settled here and at peace apart from this new element. And valued. So sorting this out matters. I tried to find meds online but as this is Tylex ie codeine 30 mg.... I have been stable on the same dose for 15 years including the last four years here. I have stayed mobile, and worked. In talking to the Complaints officer? he twisted the rules over and again thinking I did not know them. Then backtracked. I will not be treated like that. Given that this dr will only prescribe panadol for everything? Literally! I would not have been given codeine by her anyway. After Christmas there will only be one full time GP for this whole area. ( the one here is very part time now) Something will change. Intrigued that the TD knew his name and asked for the emails. Blessings and thanks for caring. Stay safe out there; no covid here..

Advertisement