Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Are you in contact with anyone supportive to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭laoisgem

I spoke with my sister last night (she took my daugher), spoke with her again this morning and she wants me to go to St. Pats. How long does it take to get in there does anyone know? I've had numerous stints in the mental health section of our local hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭apache

If your insurance clears you should hear back next week. Good luck laoisgem. I had a stay there a few years ago.

No insurance unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭apache

oh right just for an outpatient appointment? I thought you meant to go in. It could take up to 8 weeks.

But the guy I was seeing was very busy. Hopefully it will just be a few weeks for you or even sooner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Good luck laoiegem. Keep checking back in here for support when you can.

I'm comfortably numv, ATM. No serious side effects so far from Prozac

Think I'm still drowsy from the sleeper today and that's the overwhelming sympyom at the moment. Not ideal for the ongoing run but sn improvement on the last few weeks. Don't think one beta blocked will have any effect yet will have to see how this goes.

I spoke to my boss. i txted her to say I won't be in Monday and don't know how long I'll be out. So she phoned me. I dunno what to say anymore, I told her I hate going to bed at night because I don't want to wake in the morning. She just reiterated what i already know, it's no way to live. I can't get the look of my daughters face off my mind, the look of disgust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

It's very difficult to explain to someone what mental illness is. IF you were walking around with a broken limb, you could at least say 'sorry, I can't do that, I've a broken limb'. With mental illness, it's so damn difficult to explain to someone why you feel like crap. Or why you feel unable to do some things.

As for the look of 'disgust'... its hard to explain to someone why you're feeling one way. And it's probably very difficult for her to comprehend why you're feeling the way you're feeling. It might be less 'disgust' and more 'I can't do anything to help'. That sense of powerlessness is a real thing that we sometimes look past.

A strange analogy, but when someone gets a headcold, it affects everyone within a close vicinity. You have some who are like 'why are you not at your peak, it's just a cold' while others are like 'Ah, take it easy-don't want that head cold to get any worse than it is' and hand you over a hot drink or a lemsip, and then some stay away because they're afraid to catch it. Mental illness is very similar in how folks treat others. But you'll get less sympathy from some than if you'd a cold. And those that 'stay away' do so less because they 'don't want to catch it', and moreso because they feel unable to help.

Also, and I speak from experience, it can be frustrating for other people to see someone struggling mentally. Using the headcold analogy (again) if you don't take time out to treat a headcold, it can turn into something worse. Then people look at you with similar annoyance and a 'why didn't you just rest, you could have spared yourself so much trouble?'. But real life has so many responsibilities, so hence why a cold becomes something worse. A family member of mine, a few years ago, picked up a virus that turned into a bad headcold, that (due to neglect) turned into a flu, that then turned into a chest infection. In all, they were sick for three months (Got sick in January, didn't start to improve until March of that year) and would have been unwell for months later if they hadn't gone to their GP.

Maybe have a chat with your daughter, explain your situation, similar to how you spoke to your boss. And maybe try and explain that it's nothing she did, or nothing anyone does. It's just how the cards fall. (I don't really know your situation, so I'm sure you can phrase this far, far, far better than I can).

Apologies, this turned into a long post.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Period Hotspod

Trigger warning.

as a man who was misdiagnosed or as a man who listened to the perceived platitudes of mental health professionals for decades, only to be properly diagnosed by a psychiatrist in the last 6 months and medicated, I find I can now breathe. I can inhale and exhale. Then realise the negative thoughts , procrastination, self pity have disappeared (mostly).

I have also realised that the negative perceptions of others- really - really don’t matter. It’s how you perceive those other peoples negative, fixed, or intolerant attitudes.

if you have not discovered the English musician REN, look for him on you tube. Particularly his video Hi Ren. It’s had over 10 000000 views in the last 4 months. The song is about 10 mins long (it passes super quick). It’s actually a performance rather than just a song.

it deals with his struggle as a 17 yearold up to his late 20s. He’s 32 now. Watch the video from your own perspective. From your own mental health issues. I found it therapeutic and painful to watch a young man who was openly vocally and eloquently describing how I feel and how I am.

you might feel the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,815 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

just off sertraline a week and my sleep has gone awry, is this normal?

• Advertisement

It can do. Any change to the system can have an affect on ya. Even cutting back on coffee, or tea, just to use an example, will change your system. So changing or slowly weaning your system off of a medication will upset your sleep.

thank you, ive been weaning myself off extremely slowly for about 2 years now, i cant lower the dosage anymore, as im as low it can go, half a tablet, just took a half there now, i ll try taking it every other day for a while, and see how that goes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Ground down by anxiety and worries here. There is no time to discharge or take stock of things. Always something to do or some fire to put out.

Just finished visiting someone in hospital who is very sick from the system and is a casualty of our dumb stupid existence in 2023.

Sunday morning is so quiet and peaceful compared to the rest of the week.

I think it's very difficult to find peace and quiet. I am burned out from running around on the hamster wheel. It's just getting faster, more impersonal and more competitive. It's ridiculous.

yup, no wonder we re experiencing an existential mental health crisis, we cant keep doing this! look after yourself

Similar experiences over here too. Had a turnstile of minor events that just piled on me. My Internet provider has been being a jerk lately, like a loan shark that thinks I owe them money. Walloping me at a moment's notice. Have been trying to swap over a contract, which requires a new sim, a new router, etc. A family member called their customer service, cancelled one contract, and thought 'done, no more issues'... nope. They cancelled both, and left us without internet for a few days. (Outside of our phones, we were cut off).

Then the shower died. It's still under warranty, but it's meant cold showers for the last number of days.

Also trying to sort out some accounts information that's messing with my finances. Things changed as the events of the last few years are winding down, and I missed an update to the system.

And my therapist has me writing a letter to a deceased loved one, as part of a task. It's genuinely one of the toughest things I've had to do. It would be easier to write an essay about quantum mechanics, tbh. And I know sweet absolutely nothing about quantum mechanics.

Feeling so depressed today. Have a load of issues to deal with and a load of random unconnected badly planned and badly communicated garbage in work to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 dancingwith

Just been put on 50mg Sertraline for anxiety/mild depression. Would be interested to hear other peoples experience with this drug!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Anyone have any tips for dealing with paranoia? Psych next week but not sure I can last until then

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Everyone is different obviously but when I had escalated moments of that I used to do a breathing thing that required pretty much all my concentration to sustain for longer than a minute or two. Any time it drops just start again, it's not failure, it's consistency

Yeah I'm trying a meditation app but limited success so far. I think I'll go to the GP Monday if I can hang on until then

• Advertisement

You can last until then although it's awful that one has to only have a crisis by office hours 😡

Indeed you're right, I know there are out of ours options but I'm not really in the mood to be admitted to hospital. I just have to survive 2 more nights of feeling like this. Oddly the longer days aren't helping, much prefer the calm of darkness

I'm the same with dark and quiet. Eye mask maybe? Or folded over cloth/towel?

Good idea, I usually draw the heavy curtains early enough. May the autumn come back quickly!

Yeah long days of brightness are proper tiring for some of us I think

• For several years I have felt increasing anxiety and depression. Of course we had the pandemic, that helped nobody at all. And I had some circumstances, not of my making, which were getting me down. However even when I had little or nothing to be very concerned about, and on good days, I’ve had spiralling feelings of anxiety, really driving me out of my skull, producing electric feelings all over my body. Now it has transpired that I have developed progressive MS, which has organically driven the spiralling very uncomfortable anxiety and cognitive issues. My advice is is look at any possible organic “hardware” condition that might possibly be driving new onset or increasing anxiety that may not be accountable by life circumstances. Sone of these conditions may respond to appropriate treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 dancingwith

Been on SSRI for over a week but I havent noticed any differences, except from some extra anxiety and depression...

Can take up to 8 weeks to kick in is the official guidance I get from any doctor when starting a medicine, hopefully though it will kick in sooner. At least that's what I found

As One More Toy said it takes weeks and irritatingly increased symptoms can happen in the early days, hard to be patient but that's what we're left with

• Advertisement

One thing I notice, is if you can't do something for someone because of a physical issue, then that's ok.

But, if it's a mental issue, then that's not ok.

😒

Advertisement