Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Ditto BaaLamb, hugs in your direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭BaaLamb

mickstupp wrote: »
    Ditto BaaLamb, hugs in your direction.

Sorry to hear you're feeling a similar way :-( Hugs right back to you. Life can be incredibly ****e sometimes. I'm exhausted.

Have bad anxiety also and it is a fecking nightmare..

Have bad anxiety also and it is a fecking nightmare..

It is hard to explain how horrendous it feels to somebody who has never experienced it. I wake every morning with a pit of fear in my stomach and an overwhelming sense of panic. A nightmare indeed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

BaaLamb wrote: »
    It is hard to explain how horrendous it feels to somebody who has never experienced it. I wake every morning with a pit of fear in my stomach and an overwhelming sense of panic. A nightmare indeed

It's easy to forget what being normal is like.
    Constant stress and raised cortisol is pretty bad for the body - never mind the brain on top of all of it. Hellish.

I told myself today that I will NOT read up on connective tissue disorders.
    (I have done so in the past when this all started as I was misdiagnosed in the past with one) but there is no point as I will drive myself mad.
    Its just time to distract and try and focus on other things until I get the 2 different results back.
    Time to let the doctors do their jobs.

Still going to have good and bad days. I already have illness effecting my stomach, but when I get anxious my appetite is the first thing to go.
    Trying to eat more as I have a dietician due to low BMI as it is :rolleyes:

28643463691_011fa455a7_n.jpg
    One of the ducks at the agricultural show grounds - doing drawings based off the images so thats a distraction for next few days.

Hope everyone is doing well as they can today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

I usually don't like birds but I could almost high five that one. That duck pic just made my day.

I'm just about ready to give up. Spent most of my second last day at work crying and then husband came home and said he didn't get the job he had recently done second interview for. A crushing blow which has caused me to retire to the bed and cry some more. I read a thread on After Hours today which also caused me to cry and feel like a failure and a ****e parent. I'm not sure I can keep going anymore, no matter how hard we work we still end up in the crap. I just can't live like this, I feel so miserable and terrified all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭bridgettedon

I'm just about ready to give up. Spent most of my second last day at work crying and then husband came home and said he didn't get the job he had recently done second interview for. A crushing blow which has caused me to retire to the bed and cry some more. I read a thread on After Hours today which also caused me to cry and feel like a failure and a ****e parent. I'm not sure I can keep going anymore, no matter how hard we work we still end up in the crap. I just can't live like this, I feel so miserable and terrified all the time.

Please don't pay attention to what people say in after hours. I am sometimes shocked by some of the posts on there but I have yet to meet someone in real life who shares the same opinions that are on there. You are doing your best as a parent, that's all you can do. It's great that your husband got a second interview, he was obviously so close. There will be a time when he will get the job. Treat yourself to a nice shower, book or just give your husband a hug. Be nice to yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,932 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Please don't pay attention to what people say in after hours. I am sometimes shocked by some of the posts on there but I have yet to meet someone in real life who shares the same opinions that are on there. You are doing your best as a parent, that's all you can do. It's great that your husband got a second interview, he was obviously so close. There will be a time when he will get the job. Treat yourself to a nice shower, book or just give your husband a hug. Be nice to yourself.

Agree with this completely. Especially regarding your husband getting closer to a job and giving him a hug.

Agree with this completely. Especially regarding your husband getting closer to a job and giving him a hug.

Poor man has had to listen to me crying inconsolably all evening. My mood was already low and it just hit rock bottom with his news. He has been trying for a new job for more than six months already, I fear that he will never get a job. I've just been made redundant so in combination it has sent me into constant panic mode. This is all happening in a year where I had a huge relapse and struggled to come out of the black pit at all.

Thank you for this thread, it is a great to have a place to put all this stuff.

• Advertisement

Please don't pay attention to what people say in after hours.
    Ditto

BaaLamb, it's just people's opinions and opinion doesn't equal fact. It's just the cut and thrust of sometimes very robust critical debate where there is no right and wrong a lot of the time. To me it's water off a duck's back as I learned a long time ago not to give two fups about people's opinions unless they might have a point I have not considered before.

Crying uncontrollably would be very symptomatic of a depressive episode although not a symptom I used experience too much. When is your next appointment with your psychiatrist? Have you had an review of your medication recently or change in dosage? If not it might be worth your while to contact the psychiatrist to see if you can get an earlier appointment. If not possible, you could go to your GP and see if they could liaise with the psychiatrist on your behalf.

GPs also usually know of counsellors in the area who might be able to offer you counselling at a reduced rate. On a waiting list for who knows how long is just not acceptable for crisis intervention. Hang in there and keep posting here.

Shint0 wrote: »
    Ditto

BaaLamb, it's just people's opinions and opinion doesn't equal fact. It's just the cut and thrust of sometimes very robust critical debate where there is no right and wrong a lot of the time. To me it's water off a duck's back as I learned a long time ago not to give two fups about people's opinions unless they might have a point I have not considered before.

Crying uncontrollably would be very symptomatic of a depressive episode although not a symptom I used experience too much. When is your next appointment with your psychiatrist? Have you had an review of your medication recently or change in dosage? If not it might be worth your while to contact the psychiatrist to see if you can get an earlier appointment. If not possible, you could go to your GP and see if they could liaise with the psychiatrist on your behalf.

GPs also usually know of counsellors in the area who might be able to offer you counselling at a reduced rate. On a waiting list for who knows how long is just not acceptable for crisis intervention. Hang in there and keep posting here.

Yeah I'm definitely on a downer again, the tears are becoming far too plentiful on a daily basis. Saw my psych a couple of weeks ago and due to see her again at the beginning of September. I can call the team if I feel I need to be seen sooner or need the nurse support but I'm not at that stage yet. My meds have been adjusted fairly recently but I do feel they're not working as well as they might so I'm keeping an eye on that. I'm just stressed to the hilt on top of having a mental illness that has been flaring up this year.

I can call the team if I feel I need to be seen sooner or need the nurse support but I'm not at that stage yet.
    Just to pick up on that point, I think a lot us have been there at some stage feeling we are not bad enough yet or how do you know we are bad enough to have to contact a doctor or some other support service.

I think if somebody is really struggling and finding it hard to cope on a daily basis then they probably are at that point of needing to contact someone at least. That's just my opinion. Choosing a number on a scale of 1 to 10 is generally a good indication and helps to quantify where we are at.

Shint0 wrote: »
    Just to pick up on that point, I think a lot us have been there at some stage feeling we are not bad enough yet or how do you know we are bad enough to have to contact a doctor or some other support service.

I think if somebody is really struggling and finding it hard to cope on a daily basis then they probably are at that point of needing to contact someone at least. That's just my opinion. Choosing a number on a scale of 1 to 10 is generally a good indication and helps to quantify where we are at.

Good point. I should probably make a phone call tomorrow and at least let them know how I'm feeling. Thank you Shint0

Gosh did I kill this thread? I hope everyone is doing ok today.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Gosh did I kill this thread? I hope everyone is doing ok today.

Naw don't worry. It goes through phases like this every once and a while. It's almost like nobody wants to break the silence. :pac:

I hope your feeling much better today. :)

Wilberto wrote: »
    Naw don't worry. It goes through phases like this every once and a while. It's almost like nobody wants to break the silence. :pac:

I hope your feeling much better today. :)

Well I didn't cry for a hour in despair this morning as I have every other morning this week so I guess that is progress right? Still feeling very anxious but am trying to focus on helping OH with his job hunt and also start my job hunting in earnest. Also trying not to scare the pants off myself by looking too far to the future.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Really need to use my pill dispenser box again. Definitely forgot meds here and there during the week, between that and ongoing sleep problems i wonder if i have a slump coming..

That's a slight issue for me too at the moment, Grem. I don't take any anti-d or anything anymore except for a tiny dose of Eltroxin most likely as a result of being on lithium for years which it seems I never needed but that's a separate issue.

Last year the GP told me to drop the Eltroxin down to every alternate day. It's such a minimal dose but he told me to keep taking it just to keep things ticking over. Now that it's only every second day I often forget to take it and even forgot to get my most recent prescription. When it was every day it was so much easier to remember so I think I need to set up an alarm reminder on my mobile. Don't want storing up any problems even if it is such a small dose.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Ok, meds done for today so i've managed that, but definitely very down, can even notice the change in posture and different tensions in my body.. Looking over skills i've been taught, here's hoping..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Ok, meds done for today so i've managed that, but definitely very down, can even notice the change in posture and different tensions in my body.. Looking over skills i've been taught, here's hoping..

*hugs*

Hope this passes for you soon, Grem.

It will pass, i have to believe in that as much as i can. However much like my other condition, the pain can descend suddenly and heavily. Oh well..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,402 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Watched ' a girl like her '' last night.
    Why is it people only care when it's too late

It's hard to see signs when they emerge very slowly like they can in some people, in other cases friends and family are scared and possibly unsure what to say. In my case i had managed to isolate myself quite thoroughly over time until things got to a point where i realised i couldn't continue the way i was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Not having a good night tonight. Feeling very down.

Something exciting was happened this week and I thought it could work but it seems that it's not going to happen and the other person won't be upfront about it instead leaving me to guess, which makes me anxious.

Like ffs just be honest about it.

I take it you can't exactly get a straight answer out of them Boxers?.

I take it you can't exactly get a straight answer out of them Boxers?.
    Unfortunately not. Waiting is the only thing I can do, either they'll tell me or their behaviour will. I've a feeling it'll be their behaviour that tells me to be honest.

Ouch, would have hoped a direct yes or no question to them would have been an option..

Ouch, would have hoped a direct yes or no question to them would have been an option..
    I wish it was.

If I asked directly it would make it extremely awkward given I have to see this person every day for the next while and it'll be awkward regardless I think so I don't want to make it even more awkward.

• Advertisement

That is very frustrating

Advertisement