Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anxiety and depression thread (Please read OP)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

That is very frustrating
    Yeah it is, and its making me anxious thus bringing my mood down as well.

I can't understand this not being upfront business, it does no good, at all.

The thoughts of this week now has me on a serious downer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I think if it was me and i'd be around them anyway i'd feel awkward so i'd ask. The stress would mess me up like it's doing to you.

I think if it was me and i'd be around them anyway i'd feel awkward so i'd ask. The stress would mess me up like it's doing to you.
    I could ask, but it would be even more awkward then to be honest, by not asking and either letting them tell me or letting their behaviour tell me it'd be less awkward as I'd have answer either way without forcing it, if that makes sense.

I would normally ask straight out but this is one time that I can't I don't think.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Oh to have a crystal ball eh?.

Oh to have a crystal ball eh?.
    A crystal ball indeed.

God what I wouldn't give for one!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Ok sleep pattern absolutely wrecked

The only thing i really do regarding sleep is try and make sure i'm in bed between noon and three every day. Other than that there is no pattern.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

Anyone find the warm, humid days and nights makes their anxiety/mood worse? I actually improve mentally in the winter!

I find the humidity/heat difficult to sleep in which does mess with my mood a lot.

Anyone find the warm, humid days and nights makes their anxiety/mood worse? I actually improve mentally in the winter!
    I'm the very same. I hate the summer. Much prefer the winter time. It's much nicer.
    I find the humidity/heat difficult to sleep in which does mess with my mood a lot.
    It's horrible to sleep in, it's very uncomfortable and the broken sleep or no sleep some nights is a killer :(

• Advertisement

Because of another health problem i have winter can exacerbate pain levels so i can't really say one time of year above another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

Seasonal Affective Disorder is more commonly associated with winter but some people do report an onset in summer as well. For seasonal influences I am usually more affected with the winter type and can start around mid to late August. Hate it as everything starts closing in. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭failinis

Why the fúck did I choose to do a degree in art.
    I am so concerned about life after I graduate and being a burden and drain on my parents. What am I going to do.
    One sibling is causing extreme problems at home, and we know its playing up and its so on edge. I really don't know any more.

failinis wrote: »
    Why the fúck did I choose to do a degree in art.
    I am so concerned about life after I graduate and being a burden and drain on my parents. What am I going to do.
    One sibling is causing extreme problems at home, and we know its playing up and its so on edge. I really don't know any more.
    Is that in the visual arts or art administration?
    A lot of people don't necessarily end up in careers directly related to their degree but it's always possible to find an alternative avenue of employment where the knowledge and skills can be applied.

I think it's better to approach a course from the interest you have in the field rather than starting from the point of future prospective earnings. I think you will be generally happier overall and there are always ways to build a career from your course if you think about it strategically. If you enjoy the course then stick with it, Failinis, would be my advice. Most people now continue to engage in some form of continuous professional development anyway and may even end up with a few various different careers throughout their lifetime.

Shint0 wrote: »
    Is that in the visual arts or art administration?
    A lot of people don't necessarily end up in careers directly related to their degree but it's always possible to find an alternative avenue of employment where the knowledge and skills can be applied.

I think it's better to approach a course from the interest you have in the field rather than starting from the point of future prospective earnings. I think you will be generally happier overall and there are always ways to build a career from your course if you think about it strategically. If you enjoy the course then stick with it, Failinis, would be my advice. Most people now continue to engage in some form of continuous professional development anyway and may even end up with a few various different careers throughout their lifetime.

Visual area.
    Everyone says "Oh you are doing arts, how great to follow what you love" but I have not enjoyed a single moment. I have such stress trying to stay on top of competition and worrying so much about my future.
    Of course, I may not end up in this area at all in the end up, its just I keep putting stress upon myself and making my own life harder.
    It just feels like I am wasting myself instead of doing something useful like medicine or law.

Visual area.
    Everyone says "Oh you are doing arts, how great to follow what you love" but I have not enjoyed a single moment. I have such stress trying to stay on top of competition and worrying so much about my future.
    Of course, I may not end up in this area at all in the end up, its just I keep putting stress upon myself and making my own life harder.
    It just feels like I am wasting myself instead of doing something useful like medicine or law.
    A lot of high level occupations can be stressful too but I think it is important for people to choose an area that they feel meets their desired goals and reflect their values.

Would it possible to switch to a different course at this stage or would it affect your funding? If you are interested in pursuing employment that meets a social objective there would be opportunities within the arts field in that regard but I think it is important to trust your gut feeling if you think something is not right for you. That's what I did.

I started out doing one degree but I just wasn't passionate about it and it did cause me some stress at the time. So I switched to a different course in the same university which reflected my personality better and I found a niche in that area.

Shint0 wrote: »
    Visual area.
    A lot of high level occupations can be stressful too but I think it is important for people to choose an area that they feel meets their desired goals and reflect their values.

Would it possible to switch to a different course at this stage or would it affect your funding? If you are interested in pursuing employment that meets a social objective there would be opportunities within the arts field in that regard but I think it is important to trust your gut feeling if you think something is not right for you. That's what I did.

I started out doing one degree but I just wasn't passionate about it and it did cause me some stress at the time. So I switched to a different course in the same university which reflected my personality better and I found a niche in that area.

I think the only thing I am good for is the arts. I have no other skills and I feel like this is the right degree for me. But? I feel like I am wrong in doing something that causes me stress but if I left this course then I would have nothing.
    I just have such **** feelings for the future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,932 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

failinis wrote:
    I think the only thing I am good for is the arts.

If you believe this then go for it. Don't apologize, don't doubt yourself.

Doing something you love is so much better than just selecting something safe. There are 1000's of posts on 100's of threads from people who hate their job and wish they were doing something they liked.

There will be ups and downs, everyone has those. That's life.

Yes, that does make sense, Failinis. It sounds like the arts is probably right for you and possibly the issue is more to do with stress management which can be worked on but rest assured I think a lot of people at that stage in college do have concerns about future career directions.

There are usually various student services which can offer supports around studying and disabilty services in colleges can be quite good in offering support if that's something might apply to you. It might also help to set up an appointment with the college careers office when you return just to start exploring some future career directions but I know you have other concerns and worries at the moment too.

I hope you can find a little relaxation at the moment for the rest of your holidays and you clearly have a natural talent for photography. I was still thinking and smiling about that duck pic for a while afterwards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Pablodreamsofnew

Family drama today and it has really upset me. I have been going through a lot lately. A lot of stress and some health issue etc. Tried to do a good helpful gesture and family member exploded at me. Wasn't the first time this said family member has done this but I think because I'm older now, that is it for me. I am done with this person. Some words cannot be undo. The thing is this family member can never see the hurtful things they said ever. It's kind of one way vision thing. Anyway sadly cutting them out of my life now. I was wondering should I and my husband read the messages and he was shocked.

I think there comes a stage in your life where you just cannot have these toxic relationships anymore. I guess it's a good thing I can protect myself now and say enough is enough.

Very anxious today though and have been crying a lot. ugh.

• Advertisement

@tell me + Shint - I think the fact I know I will end up working in some clothes shop after wasting 3years (more like 6yrs including a levels and foundation) is making it all seem futile. Yeah I gave sometime thats a hobby a go but I will always end up back where I was. Of course no one can do anything with this outlook on life but its what I have been given.

Some very brave things said and done by posters here today and I'm just about keeping my physical balance on my way to another job. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Pablodreamsofnew

Some very brave things said and done by posters here today and I'm just about keeping my physical balance on my way to another job. :o

Not falling over is a daily challenge for me. :D I dropped a plate on my feet yesterday and it managed to cute my feet in the weirdest places. I am always tripping/dropping/swaying that my husband doesn't even acknowledge it anymore :D

Not having a good week this week. Few other things going on as well, everything at once now has my anxiety high and my mood low.

I just want to cry with it at all now to be honest. I'm just fed up.

Still feeling quite shaken after whatever that episode i had earlier was. Not felt that dissociated for a while, the recent lack of therapy and my own forgetfulness are definitely messing me up..

@tell me + Shint - I think the fact I know I will end up working in some clothes shop after wasting 3years (more like 6yrs including a levels and foundation) is making it all seem futile. Yeah I gave sometime thats a hobby a go but I will always end up back where I was. Of course no one can do anything with this outlook on life but its what I have been given.

How do you mean "it's what you've been given"?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭BaaLamb

Not having a good week this week. Few other things going on as well, everything at once now has my anxiety high and my mood low.

I just want to cry with it at all now to be honest. I'm just fed up.

I can empathise as have been feeling this way as well. I'm like a bloody yo-yo. Hugs to you and hope you feel better soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭BaaLamb

Still feeling quite shaken after whatever that episode i had earlier was. Not felt that dissociated for a while, the recent lack of therapy and my own forgetfulness are definitely messing me up..

(((Hugs)))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭ivytwine

Big hug xx

• Advertisement

*hugs* Grem, I hope you're okay. I hope things improve for you and you feel better soon.

Advertisement